smart comebacks needed

Options

Replies

• Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else telling you not to discuss it with anyone. You're doing really well losing and eventually your results will speak volumes.
    That's when people will ask you, "What are you doing to lose weight?" and than you can tell them the specifics of your diet.
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I suggest a high five
    To the face
    With a chair
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    First off you are doing awesome! Secondly tell them that you want to lose the weight permanently for the long hull and that you aren't trying to find a quick fix solution. Most people who lose the weight too fast gain it right back again and more which is clearly what you are trying to avoid. Then tell them to mind their own buisness because it's honestly not up to them what you do. Then maybe punch them as someone else has suggested :)

^There you have it!
  • TJWrites00
    TJWrites00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree. The death stare or a simple, "It's not a race. I'm good. Thanks!" Along with a giant smile. And then just walk away.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Smile, nod, maybe a thanks for the suggestion/tip.... then just keep living your life.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    OH... try this... MY goal isn't to just loose weight it's to develop a healthy sustainable lifestyle and that takes time.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to come back? What do you really gain in the end? Would it make you feel better to retaliate?

well.... yes actually. I'm not looking to put them down, just get them to leave me alone with their advice.

Your actions will speak louder than your words.

"Thank you, glad it worked for you."

ZFG
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Why do they know how much you're losing? Sounds to me like this is an easy one to solve.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    jerkstore-1.jpg
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If they won't let you avoid the topic and they won't take the hint when you say the rate you're losing weight at is what you're comfortable with, then I suggest telling them that when they live in your skin they can make the decisions for your body. Until then they have no right to tell you how to live your life.

Keep it up--you're doing great!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I never have smart comebacks. I'm afflicted with "l'esprit d'escalier" where you come up with the perfect response three days later.

But I wanted to tell you that you're doing GREAT and you should keep on keeping on.

Haha wow first time I have ever heard someone other than me use that idiom, nicely done madam.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Just tell them:

"I prefer to keep the weight off long term and not put it back on in 6 months"
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Ask them what qualifies them to judge you. Or you could just walk away from them/ignore them/change the subject. It's got bugger all to do with them; nosy know-it-alls...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I vote for a swift kick to the crotch.

I like this idea too however that can get you in trouble I suspect...:bigsmile:

I don't discuss mine with anyone at work (except one friend but she is an actual friend)

As for comebacks...

Try the following:

blank stare for a long time...they eventually go away
    look at them shocked and say "you can see me???????"

And yes if you lift...do you even lift is always a good come back..unless they lift but I suspect they don't...
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Derpes thats just brilliant! Lol
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! If you really want to discuss your plan with these people, tell them the truth. You are working toward a reasonable, healthy weight and want to do it in a sustainable way. It may not be the way x, y or z would do it, but it's working brilliantly for you. People like to give advice. Not that they'd be likely to follow it themselves. Wait a couple of years, keep the weight off and see how the advice is then!
  • HollyDee14
    HollyDee14 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your steady weight loss- that's fantastic! Sounds like you've ready found what works for you to be losing consistently every week. :)

I'm in the South right now and I'm learning from the Southern belles in my community. What I've heard them say is something along the lines of, "Thanks for your advice. I feel great about what I'm doing." (followed by a sweet, if somewhat inauthentic, smile and eye contact) Or, similarly if folks say that you've lost too much weight and should stop trying to get healthier, "Thanks for your concern. I feel great." Again, with the big smile.

It's a little passive-aggressive, but it ends the conversation. ;)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to come back? What do you really gain in the end? Would it make you feel better to retaliate?

well.... yes actually. I'm not looking to put them down, just get them to leave me alone with their advice.

I agree with her, I am not of the "turn the other cheek" mentality in situations like this.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've heard from a couple people that I'm not losing fast enough. I'm averaging 1.5 pounds a week, and have lost almost 20 in the last 3 months. It makes me so angry to hear that I should have lost more for all the effort I'm putting in, or I eat too much or should eat 1200 max, cut everything out and go cardio crazy. I think my favorite is when someone they know lost 20 pounds in the first month doing xyz, I should try it. I'm not hangry, I eat min 1500 calories, usually more like 1800-2000. Workout 4 or 5 days a week. Why are people such know-it-all @ssholes?

What should I say to them except to quote the dude " Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Were it me, I would say something like "I've got to tell you I couldn't be happier with these results and this new lifestyle in general. I don't want to change a thing."
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Well, how about this: "Thanks, but I'm following a program that's working for me. I'm happy with my progress." (if this is true for you of course)

Other than that, I think continuing to discuss your diet and exercise plan with this crowd is just not a good idea. Its ok if you don't share what you are doing with them, and this will eliminate the need to defend your choices.