WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Replies

• peacelovehhs
    peacelovehhs Posts: 16 Member
    What a delicious sounding recipe. Thanks for sharing it!
    Robyn
    Kim,this is a recipe we had for Memorial Day potluck.I had/ used strawberries,but bananas would work.As written,it fills either a glass 9"x13"or can use a clear trifle bowl.

Buy or make an angel food cake.
    1 small pkg of sugar free instant pudding.Any flavor works,chocolate,cheesecake,vanilla
    Whatever goes with bananas
    1 8oz Cool Whip thawed
    Bananas sliced
    In chosen container slice cake & cover bottom ,using as much cake as you can.Cover cake with sliced bananas.
    fold dry pudding mix into Cool Whip.Cover bananas with pudding Cool Whip mixture.Repeat layers of bananas & pudding mixture,ending with sliced bananas.

Mine was cake,then berries,then pudding mixture,then berries.With bananas,I would cover them with the Cool Whip mixture to keep them from browning.keep in fridge.
    Was told it's best made the day you serve it,but I made a small 2 serving container for DH
    & it was fine the next day.

Pat in Ohio

"Anybody have a MFP safe banana based recipe? I was at the market and they had a bag with 10 big bananas in it for 59cents, I had to buy it - I could freeze them but was thinking I'd cook something tomorrow - I need a dessert for a gathering on Friday--would like something I could have some of... any ideas? "
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    Heather your trip sounded great. I enjoy visiting historical site, too.

I changed my picture back to my old picture because it includes another love of mine flowers.

Working in the garden today and will go help my Kindergarten friend for the last time this year.

Today I will drink my eight glasses of water,so i wake to a healthier me.:drinker: :drinker:

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    MN Margaret
  • peacelovehhs
    peacelovehhs Posts: 16 Member
    Hi all,
    I am encouraged and impressed by all of you who are exercising so diligently. I have a lot of weight to lose, and exercising is hard right now. I am (for the first time ever) seeing a personal trainer once a week who has me doing stretches and some light (very)cardio. Her thinking is that I have muscles that are tight due to all the stress I carry, AND she doesn't want to have me over do it and give up.

Brilliant.

Onward to a new day, and a weekend I plan to fill with healthy eating and moving more. I wish the same for all of you!
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    well this is just such a great group of women!! All of your posts are inspirational and I love the support you give each other. As I get to know everyone I will add my feed back but feeling like the newbie I think it best to get to know you all first :smile:
    However to Moondoggz: No! there can never,ever be enough coffee!!

I am doing well with my goals this week. It's been difficult at work with some birthday's (cakes!!) (and I LOVE sugar) but I find I just need to avoid the kitchen at all costs. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

Last night I walked with my bff. I live in Port Huron, MI which is at the entrance to Lake Huron. It was a lovely evening walking along the water and watching the freighters pass. Canada is a stone's throw away.

I wish you all a wonderful Friday!
    gg in Port Huron, MI PS, I am 56 years old and also have a grandson :happy:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Sylvia: I am glad you’re going to your GP with your blood pressure worries since the cardiologist can’t get you in. It is a very smart idea. I hope s/he is able to help you sort it out. Your worries are reasonable and NOT a pity party at all. My doctor is in a system that uses a service called “MyHealth.” I can send in questions to her and get answers back through this system. DH’s MS doctor is part of a similar system. It is good to be able to get questions answered without going in for an appointment.:flowerforyou:

Peacelovehhs: Your goals sound reasonable and doable You’re off to a good start. Welcome!:flowerforyou:

BJ, SWOnt: I’ve had food poisoning before and it was hideous. You have my sympathy. I’m sure water will cause you more trips to the loo, but getting dehydrated wouldn’t be good.:flowerforyou:

Tere: I hope the shift in peppers varieties helps your DH. Keeping your DS in my prayers. I’m happy that he won’t be alone and hope his dad and grandma will support the healthy lifestyle he needs.:flowerforyou:

Janemartin: I’m sorry you are in pain. I hope things improve quickly.:flowerforyou:

Brenda: People claim there is no such thing as fear of success, but they are wrong. Perhaps it is a variation of fear of change. I hope you’ll stay in this for the long run and stop by here for support several times a day if necessary.:flowerforyou:

Suzy in DE: Welcome back.:flowerforyou:

Vickie from N CA: Welcome. I don’t recall seeing you post here before, but I hope I’ll see your posts often in the future. Lifestyle change is the road to success. You’re right about that.:flowerforyou:

Janette from CA: The last 10 pounds can be the toughest for many reasons. I hope you’ll hang in there for your own health. My dad took warfarin for years due to heart problems. He called it rat poison. It seemed to help his situation. I hope you’ll visit us regularly. :flowerforyou:

Gabbygirl: Don’t worry about your age; it will “improve.” :wink: :laugh: You’re welcome here. What are your goals? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I agree with your comment to Cathy in NS. Getting in the habit of tracking my food every day has been the key to my weight loss success, too. I also need to measure my food. I always made good choices about what to eat, but had no clue how much I was eating. I’m quite sure I’ll always need to count calories and measure my portions. Old habits lead to old results.:angry::flowerforyou:

Kim in N CA: The concert was packed! The weather was lovely and everyone wanted to be there. The music was not particularly to my taste, but it was okay. We sat with a group of our neighbors and enjoyed meeting some of their friends. Dogs are welcome in the beer garden, but we didn’t bring ours this time. Others did, and we had a good time petting them. When this tradition began, Thursday nights were selected because it was easier to get bands to come out here on Thursdays. Most of the better bands were booked on the weekends. This is the ten year anniversary of our weekly summer concert series.:flowerforyou:

Heather UK: This website and group of women has been a miracle for me, too. You and Coach Dan are right about strength training, but I’m a slacker in that department. DH has been wonderful about this journey, but is not on board with the gym. He feels that he has only so much energy to spend in a day, and he wants to spend it on things he loves. With his combination of autoimmune problems, I’m unwilling to argue. I consistently go to yoga, which involves lifting weight (sort of)—my own body. I also walk and ride my bike regularly. There is really nothing keeping me from taking on more muscle building activities other than inertia.:blushing:

Rori: Congrats on getting your stubborn salsa jar opened. It is so great when we find out we’re stronger than we thought!:flowerforyou:

Joyce: I watched Extreme Weightloss, too. The son seemed quite immature, which is reasonable since he’s still basically a kid. The judgmental nature of the coaches bugged me. :frown: Everybody slips up now and then, and they make a federal case of it. Our system here seems much healthier and more likely to result in changed habits. I don’t know whether I’ll look in on the show again.:flowerforyou: I go for carrots and celery when I have a bad case of munchies. Cereal doesn’t seem to draw me into munching. Everyone is different. You’ll figure out how to handle it. My hair is darker in the back, too. My mom and aunties were the same way. I think it is pretty usual. DH says he pinked in the back first. :laugh: (Male pattern baldness.):flowerforyou:

Eileen: School won’t be out here for another couple of weeks. We start up again after Labor Day.:flowerforyou:

Jackie in Vancouver WA: Welcome! It sounds like you have a lot going on right now. I hope things all work out in your favor. I’ve been a stress eater in the past and counting calories and exercise are my best strategies against it. :flowerforyou:

Michele: The band last night was called Stone in Love. It bills itself as a tribute to Journey. I enjoyed the concert, more for social reasons than the actual music, although the music was pleasant.:flowerforyou:

Sandydoyle: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. We only fail if we quit. Everyone has good and bad days, so the best strategy is to forgive yourself and get back to doing the right thing ASAP. Stop by often for encouragement and support.:flowerforyou:

We’re planning our day. I suggested taking our bikes to a nearby park for a ride, and DH seems interested. Yay!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Good morning Ladies,

I haven't been sharing my workouts, but Michele has inspired me to share as well. I did weights this morning, arms and legs and I will do treadmill next. I am having my protein shake first. I usually do 30 to 45 minutes on the treadmill. I have my heart monitor on and it says I have burned another 82 calories in about 20 minutes since finishing my workout.

A lot of us are having menopause symptoms, me too. I have been reading this morning on natural remedies. I found a product called "Clearly Natural Hot Flash Relief Spray". It is available through CVS and Walgreens. I found a CVS about 30 minutes from my house that carries it. I asked them to hold a bottle for me, it is $9.49. This product had a lot of great review. Have any of you tried it?

For those of you taking Evening Primrose Oil, how much do you take?

Pat, how about making a fruit salad with all of those bananas?

Welcome all new ladies.

Cindy in OK:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Meg – hope the storms are not too bad!

Cathy – We each have something that is hard/impossible for us – and I bet the “older” ladies would feel really good about being able to help you, we all need to feel needed! :smile:

Rori – Great NSV

Joyce – I am with you, I spent all that money to have my hair highlighted and no one noticed… why bother!

Jackie – welcome, come by to visit and we’ll chat your ear off!

Newbies – most of us that list answers back to many on the list, do it by opening a word document, then reading a mfp post, going to the word doc and typing a response then back to mfp to read the next… then copy and paste the word doc into the mfp reply.

Heather – what a great day trip; and good description of the miracles that we are all accomplishing:happy: :happy:

Pat – thanks for the great recipe idea….

Peacelovehhs – starting slow is a great way to go! For me both on exercise and diet I started slow and have built up my belief that this is really going to work and that it is a life long journey.

Katla, have a great bike ride

So my extended non-functional family has decided to raise it's ugly head and be hurtful and mean - I am not really ready to share much; still kinda reeling (I should be used to this *hit - but I keep trying to believe that it will be better). but would not mind some good thoughts this weekend and I will need to be making a short appearance at the graduation celebrations.

today is check in day and 2lb more off yeah!!!

thinking of you all.
    Kim in N. California
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    TGIF~~Going out of town with son,DIL and Leah,so they can attend a wedding.
    Can`t wait til after the d&c to start my arhtritis medicine again.
    Have a good week-end,will probably not be able to post.
    HUGS
    jane
    ps u r amazing,I love you all.:drinker: :drinker:
  • BootCamper10
    BootCamper10 Posts: 20 Member
    bump
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Jane - hugs and good wishes!:flowerforyou:

Kim - don't let the bs grind you down.:flowerforyou: Let them do their thing and you just carry on doing your beautiful thing.:flowerforyou: You have a good heart.:flowerforyou:

Just wanted to jump back in and say that I have been watching the D Day memorials on TV. I am a convinced pacifist, but I found it very moving, seeing the old men back at the site of so much sacrifice. My D Day story is a bit weird, in that my mother's then beloved boyfriend, a Canadian, was killed in the following few days. I owe my life to that awful death. :brokenheart:
    I looked up his grave in France on the internet and always swore I would go and see it. I don't think DH is keen, but I would like to. I have been to Arromanches, but before I knew where he was buried. I wrote a play about it once. It was a very complicated story with him pretending to be someone else so his sister could get his war pension if he died. My mother only found out he had been killed when the photo she had sent him was returned, stamped Deceased. His grave is in his assumed name.

My own father was at Dunkirk and later in the Indian Army. My mother gave his engagement ring back when he signed up to take a commission in India. Hence the Canadian love affair. When my father came back she agreed to take the ring back. She always said she only did it out of pride and should never have done so. She had an inkling that my father was a paedophile even then. Of course I suffered because of her choice, but he gave me life for which I am extremely grateful. I love my life now after many years of struggle, so I must, in a strange way, be thankful that her Canadian died.:cry::cry: Their song, which I read at her funeral, was "If I had my way dear you'd never grow old . . ." Well, he didn't.
    I've piped a few tears today, I can tell you. :brokenheart:

Love to all. Sylvia, hope your blood pressure can be fixed.
    I heard today that my best university friend has stumbled on holiday in Italy and broken her hip. She is home and I am trying to find out how she is. I'm afraid a life time of stupid dieting to a far too low weight and far too much alcohol has resulted in osteoporosis. Please eat well, my friends.:love:

Heather in Hampshire UK
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Hello to all: Well we made it through the storms yesterday. Lots of leaves and small branches down with the hail and some damage to the siding on the west side of the house. No windows broken, cars were safely in the garage and people and pets safe in the house. A tornado was sighted about three blocks from us but did not touch down.

Kim - Sending many good thoughts your way and congratulations on the 2# released. We too are currently dealing with obnoxious very extended family. My DH's elderly second cousin is in hospital because of breaking her femur. Her daughter in Hawaii who is not coming to see her mom has called several times to yell and scream and forbidden us to go up to visit her mom. We went yesterday anyway but it is making the situation very difficult. We have twice not answered the phone when we knew it was her. I think it will be a long haul as Kathryn will have to have rehab after discharge from the hospital. At least she came through surgery in really good shape. I am working on Qi Gong to release the anger, not sure it is working though or maybe there is just too much.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Just wondering if anyone on iPad has a good note keeping system? I usually read the posts,but then my brain is so full of holes,seldom place the posts with the writer.:grumble:
    Recently sold my Apple laptop,so it's just me & the iPad.
    Had breakfast at IHOP. I had scrambled egg beaters,2 slices of bacon & 2 small pancakes. Very good & fit my calorie numbers.
    Supper might be cereal for me. DH will have corn chips with melted cheese.

Still not seeing much results,but I refuse to lower calories.Have added to my water intake,trying for 10 glasses a day.Surely my body will give up hanging on to flab? Hope,hope:ohwell: We are having beautiful weather,sunny days,cool eves. Pat in Ohio
  • judymari
    judymari Posts: 69 Member
    hi there, boy that quote fits me to a T in the food department. (people trade what they want most for what they want at the moment). I so much admire those of you who lose these great amounts of weight. I need to lose 30 for sure but my motivation lasts about 2 days on average. If I could lose that weight, I could likely get off a couple medications I have to take. I don't know what in the world I can do to stay on track, as I just keep failing. but anyway, thanks for the post/thread...forgot to add, I am 60+almost 1 :noway: and in Nebraska.
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Hi ladies,

Haven't been around much for a while but have done a little bit of lurking. Been feeling pretty down and am trying not to be one to just post negativity...so I just shut up....for a change:laugh:

Aside from my funk, I've been INCREDIBLY busy. Aaorn's b'day was Wednesday, his little Minecraft party was last weekend. Getting ready for the last week of school and leaving for Florida the following week.

I finished my T25 last week without losing ONE STINKIN' POUND!!! 10 weeks of blood, sweat and tear (well not really tears but I felt like crying every time I got on the scale).

Aaron went camping with grandpa this weekend. My first "alone time" in well over 6 months. Going to meet a friend for a drink (or a few) after dinner but plan to hang around the house to get some cleaning, projects, orders, etc. done.

I did a 25 mile fundraiser bike ride last weekend and plan to ride 13 tomorrow morning and again Sunday morning. Went to Zumba today.

I'm OVER (at least temporarily) logging my food and might look at it again in July, after Florida. Just trying to focus on my healthy lifestyle, keep moving and eat like I know I have to. It's just too stressful "following the recipe" and not seeing the results so maybe not thinking about it or trying so hard will be better for now.

I know it's wrong and sounds childish but I'm very anxious and embarrassed to be going "home" to Florida 30 pounds heavier than when I moved away before Aaron was born. It's been 9 years and I'll be seeing some old friends and the vain and proud part of me wanted them all to tell everyone else who I don't see that "she really looked great" instead of "gee, she still hasn't lost that baby weight". I know I'm being dramatic and have to get over it, but it's how I feel.

Aside from that I'm VERY excited to be getting away and attempt to release some of the stress and grief. Aaron's beside himself. I'm pretty sure I've never seen him this excited about anything and am hoping to see some life back in him as well.

Like I said, I've lurked and skimmed a little and send my best wishes to all.

xo- Gloria in sunny, warm and pretty much perfect (in the weather department) Metro Detroit
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 305 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    Well I'm into day 2 of tracking! Yea! It really does make a difference. I have always wanted to lift weights, not to get muscles but just to strengthen muscles etc. and since I have knee issues and can't do floor exercises I always thought it would be a good alternative for me. I'm looking into it. I am going to go back to the pool and take a cane with me to leave on the edge of the pool so I can get in. I bought a 20 visit pass so don't want to throw the money away! If at the end of that time I still can't get in on my own, I will transfer to the other Centre that has railings to get in the pool. I decided today that I will do this just for today....maybe that's been my problem, thinking "I can't do this for a month or a year" so maybe if I just do it for "today" I'll make it!:smile:

Hope everyone has a great week end

Cathy in NS
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Good afternoon beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I finally got caught up on reading :bigsmile: !

Pat in Ohio:smile: I'm on my iPad right now, I have no clue if it's even possible to use a word doc on here, I just try to go memory, or if I have a lot of time, I'll take notes, wish I could help! If you find a way, please let me know too!!!

Jane Martin :smile: I hope you have a lovely time this weekend and the pain isn't too bad:flowerforyou: !!!

Kim in N CAL :smile: congrats on getting rid of 2 more pounds:bigsmile: !!!!! Sorry you have family drama going on:sad: !

Sue in SD:smile: Glad you were safe in those storms!!!! Sorry you've got family drama too:sad: !!!

Heather:smile: I know there was something I was going to say, but can't remember it right now:blushing: , so I'll just say hi, and I always enjoy reading your posts!

Rori:smile: Stronger than before...I love it:bigsmile:

Gloria:smile: So nice to see your post!!! I'm sorry you've been in a funk, I know that feeling well too:sad: !!! Hope you have a wonderful time in Florida, and it's just what you need to lift your spirits:flowerforyou: !!!

Cathy on NS:smile: I love the " just for today" !!! I've used that in the past and it certainly helps!!! I'm surprised they don't have railings at all pools, I would think that's a bit dangerous!

Judymari:smile: Try to pop in here everyday, and the wonderful ladies here will give you tons of support!!! Maybe you could try the "just for today" too!!!

Welcome to everyone new!!! Pop in often and chat away!!!

It has been a long day. I had to take my son in law to get X-rays this morning, he was in a horrible car crash Tuesday morning. A huge box truck rear ended him, he was in the company car and air bags (thank God for air bags) saved his life, the guy that was with him just got out of the hospital today. They are "working" on the road (although I see nothing they have done:angry: ) and have one lane blocked , this is on the interstate, people just don't slow down...I have no clue where they think they can go. I almost got hit Tuesday morning too, they guy behind me, had to go off the road in order not to smash into me:noway: . I don't know if people are talking on the phone or texting, the guy that hit my son in law didn't even slow down, he hit him going at least 50 mph while they were sitting still:explode: ! Sorry about the rant, I just think people should concentrate on driving when they're behind the steering wheel:grumble: ! Anyhow I've had a horrible headache all day, I even laid down and slept for 2 hours and it still hurts:sad: ! I'm going to go take a walk and hopefully the fresh air will help, that with a couple more Advil.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Friday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in gorgeous NC:glasses:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    Deedee prayers for your son-in-law:flowerforyou:
    MNMargaret
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    I was on my way home after work tonight (on a country road) and saw a car stopped for no apparent reason...but as I got closer saw that he had stopped to allow a mama and baby ducks cross the road...Awww...kind of put things in perspective for me :love:

I have been a bit of a slug in the exercise dept, but at least have been logging my food...I know when I put the two together I will have a better chance of success...:ohwell: ...in the meantime...doing what I can and start fresh tomorrow

Have some housework chores to tend to tomorrow and have to get to dh's book work...he and his brothers sold the family appliance business, but now DH is doing all the service work on his own...I was given the job of learning quick books...was pretty easy to keep up when he started....he is now doing at least 8calls a day ...that adds up over a six day week...and procrastinating doesn't help...so first thing tomorrow...after my workout :laugh: :laugh:

Have a good night all...hugs and high fives:flowerforyou:
    Jen in NY...expecting a beautiful, sunny weekend:glasses: :happy:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Oh boy, I got in trouble today but it sure was good. It's all because of Face Book. I saw last that today was National Doughnut Day. At Krispy Cream you could get a free doughnut, no purchase needed and you choose what you want:heart: So we walked in and a nice lady immediately hands us a wonderful sinfully warm glazed doughnut. But I told her that I wanted the brownie batter one for my free doughnut and she said that was OK but I could also have the free glazed. So we got 4 free doughnuts!!!:tongue: I think the glazed was 190 calories and the brownie batter was 510. Yep, 600 calories in doughnuts, all gone in about 10 minutes. But that brownie batter was triple chocolate, brownie batter, with chocolate chips on top filled with gooey chocolate cream. OK, girls you can stop drooling now!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    TGIF!! It's been such a busy week. Work is crazy busy, which is really good. I've been to the gym every day this week but today as I take Fridays off.

The Cardio Boxing class last night was intense and I'm feeling a few muscles today :laugh: I hope I recover enough to do the class again on Sunday morning.

Going to visit with an ex-coworker tomorrow for tea. She was laid off the same day as I was 2 1/2 years ago. It was a rough time in both our lives.

Here's hoping that I'm closer to losing the 4 lbs that I gained during my spring slump.

I will catch up on the posts tomorrow when I have more time.

Hugs to all and welcome to the the newcomers.

:heart: Sandy in ON