My 30 day Paleo lifestyle challenge!

Options

Replies

• asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am not going to criticize you for trying to eat closer to nature, or for calling it "Paleo", as I have no problem with that. I say, find what works for you and do it.

But, for the love of Pete, PLEASE do not compare yourself to a vegetarian. A vegetarian (at least none of the ones I know) does not EVER have an occasional day where they "treat" themselves to meat. Most do it for ethical reasons and don't feel that "oh, today it's ok to kill a pig because I am craving bacon".
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You are not doing Paleo.

Make a group where people will support you.

Some of us love science.

I'm not even wasting anymore of my time trying to explain myself. I am happy with what I'm doing and that's ok with me.

No one says that you shouldn't be happy with the changes you're making. We're simply pointing out that adopting certain parts of the paleo lifestyle doesn't make you paleo any more than adding more fruits and veggies into your diet makes you a vegetarian. It's like the woman on the MFP blog who claims to be a "part-time vegan" because she eats some vegan meals.

No one is bashing you or being negative, we're simply disagreeing with the terminology and definitions. You may have noticed people encouraging you to continue making the changes you want and enjoying your successes, but giving credit to yourself rather something you're not really doing.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of variety in what anyone calls "clean" or "paleo" and there's precious little science behind any of them. Where aiming toward clean or paleo eating is positive is in their efforts to eat minimally processed foods. Arguably, none of the plant-based foods we buy at the supermarket or farm stand are truly "paleo" because much formal and informal hybridization occurred through time to change them.

Many (but not all), processes damage the nutrients in many (but not all) foods. Many (but not all) processed foods contain added or artificial salts, sugars, fats, and other chemicals that (may) be hazardous to your (but not everybody's) health.

All of it is murky. No one knows whether sweet potatoes are "paleo" or not because there is no proven scientific basis to a specific "paleo" diet but, certainly, a baked sweet potato is better for you than fast food french fries.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think the thing people are unsuccessfully attempting to do here is to say that not only is paleo unnecessary for fat loss it is also very restrictive. Diets that are overly restrictive are harder to stick to in the long run. When we decide to eat in a specific way, then struggle with it we feel like a failure. When we give into the temptation of something that is banned we suddenly think we are "bad" people. There are also many people who eat paleo 80% of the time and eat whatever they want 20% of the time, which really is just arbitrary restriction 4 out of 5 days.

Cutting back on grains, beans, peanuts and dairy can help reduce bloating in some people. Those are the most common sources of food allergies, so eliminating them reduces gas production in the intestines (especially beans).
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    No I just think people being negative is just pointless when someone is clearly trying to make a positive change. I must have misunderstood the supportive community that is advertised on my fitness pal.

Its no longer found here.

I have found if you are not with the mainstream way of eating processed, packaged - manufactured foods, then you will indeed get bashed.

My Dr used to recommend this site to people and he has stopped because he reads on here and he said it is no longer the supportive community it was. He is recommending people over to Spark people now.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    OP, you could always eat primal blueprint, if you are looking to reduce your intake of things like grains and other junk food.

Thus implying that grains are junk food, a pretty radical stance that big time cuts against common sense and the scientific community.

Oatmeal = junk food.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Paleo does not mean eating whatever people in the paleolithic era ate. It was simply inspired by the idea that those ancestors probably did not eat much processed food or grains.

Our ancestors DID eat a lot of grains

What they didn't eat was butternut squash and bacon.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am not going to criticize you for trying to eat closer to nature, or for calling it "Paleo", as I have no problem with that. I say, find what works for you and do it.

But, for the love of Pete, PLEASE do not compare yourself to a vegetarian. A vegetarian (at least none of the ones I know) does not EVER have an occasional day where they "treat" themselves to meat. Most do it for ethical reasons and don't feel that "oh, today it's ok to kill a pig because I am craving bacon".

Just because you don't know vegetarians who openly have treats, doesn't mean they don't exist. I know a number of people who consider themselves vegan not for ethical reasons, who have no problems ignoring the butter on their pasta or breadstick when it's convenient for them. There are also a number of "part-time vegans" and "vegan before 6" type of eaters out there. Of course, you'll probably say they aren't "real vegans," but it doesn't change the fact that they claim that they are, and they have exceptions built into their diet.

That veg*ns generally do it for ethical reasons, and therefore generally have a hard line in the sand about such things does make the underlying philosophies different, I do agree there, though.
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say thank you to all the positive comments on here and for some of you it seems you understand the meaning of community just as I do.

I'm not going to continue posting on here, I used to post a lot and speak to lots of lovely people but from this one single post about my new paleo style of eating, it seems that it has brought out those famous key board warriors, that clearly have nothing better to do than bash, annoy and argue like children. They say they like science but get real, this industry has been around for years and still everyone has different theory's to everyone else!

I am very happy so far with my change and you can continue to argue it's paleo or if it's not but from the resources I have researched and the people I have spoken with, ITS PALEO!!
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Paleo does not mean eating whatever people in the paleolithic era ate. It was simply inspired by the idea that those ancestors probably did not eat much processed food or grains.

Cool, it's a good thing I already explained that the paleo diet took inspiration from the idea and isn't a history lesson.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I live a 80/20 paleo lifestyle now after being pretty strict into it last year. It was so helpful to me and I am so glad I found it. I now do it about 80/20 with some non paleo things added in (greek yogurt, feta cheese on occasion and 2 scoops of protein powder). For all the "its not paleo people"... I just call it the "BECS SORT OF PALEO EATING PLAN". Ha.

I don't eat any bread, white potatoes, pasta, rice etc at my home or at work. I have a cheat item every once in a while in a corn tortilla etc when out with friends. Oh and BEER when I go out. Also when I eat with my family I eat what they serve. I don't want it to be an issue. It has been a really good experience for me and I hope it is for you too.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Cool, it's a good thing I already explained that the paleo diet took inspiration from the idea and isn't a history lesson.

Too bad. Because if it were a history lesson, then at least it'd be somewhat interesting. :wink:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

The issue people have is that the inspiration is arbitrarily applied to some foods but not others which meet the exact same criteria, and that same inspiration does not match up with what we know of the diet of the paleolithic era. It's a made-up diet based on fiction.
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for sharing.
  • stacw1987
    Options
    And they just keep on trolling haha
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

And the ones who say they're leaving keep coming back. Haha
  • stacw1987
    Options
    I live a 80/20 paleo lifestyle now after being pretty strict into it last year. It was so helpful to me and I am so glad I found it. I now do it about 80/20 with some non paleo things added in (greek yogurt, feta cheese on occasion and 2 scoops of protein powder). For all the "its not paleo people"... I just call it the "BECS SORT OF PALEO EATING PLAN". Ha.

I don't eat any bread, white potatoes, pasta, rice etc at my home or at work. I have a cheat item every once in a while in a corn tortilla etc when out with friends. Oh and BEER when I go out. Also when I eat with my family I eat what they serve. I don't want it to be an issue. It has been a really good experience for me and I hope it is for you too.

I'm pleased you have had great success on this style of eating :) so far my body loves it and I have not had crazy cravings or anything like that. Your picture looks fab too :)

I thought cutting out certain food groups would be hard but it's been ok so far, as long as I keep experimenting with recipes :)
  • ali1257
    ali1257 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nicely said.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for your comments but please don't post if this is just a dig at paleo. The reason I have chosen this style of eating is because it allows you to eat good healthy whole foods. Like I said still have treat days but everything in moderation. Obviously not everyone agrees to this style of eating but for me personally it just makes sense and this is why I am giving it a trial.

Here is the list of vegetables that are good for Paleo eaters and also a list of nuts. This is off the Ultimate Paleo guide. So to the above poster I am not sure where you found for info but I have searched severe sites which all allow sweet potatoes and almonds. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Asparagus
    Avocado
    Artichoke hearts
    Brussels sprouts
    Carrots
    Spinach
    Celery
    Broccoli
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    Peppers (All Kinds)
    Cauliflower
    Parsley
    Eggplant
    Green Onions
    Butternut Squash
    Acorn Squash
    Yam
    Sweet Potato
    Beets

Almonds
    Cashews
    Hazelnuts
    Pecans
    Pine Nuts
    Pumpkin Seeds
    Sunflower Seeds
    Macadamia Nut
    Walnuts

You say Paleo " allows " you to eat healthy food, which I think is a good thing. However , I think that any healthy food you chose is a good thing no matter what label you give them.
    I eat a diet based on natural and minimally processed ( especially not industrially or chemically processed ) foods. They are all " healthy & natural ", but need no label. I find any diet that has a specific name too restrictive for me, even though I am someone who choses not to eat anything that falls into the 20% of " not-so-healthy " foods that most people need to be able to comply with the 80% they eat Paleo style.
    I personally do not understand the cheat & treat days from a certain diet, because I believe we either adjust to a new lifestyle, or we don't. It's like saying someone is a vegetarian, but they eat chicken.
    I eat none of the nuts and seeds you mention in your list ( not because I consider them unhealthy, but for me they are too calorie dense and because in the country were I live they are a very expensive luxury food ), but eat many, many more foods that are all natural and healthy....I would find the Paleo diet very restrictive, but think it is great of you like it and feel better than you did before, because that is the only thing that really matters. I just feel that all those labels really box us in and if we step outside of the box most people feel like they have to defend their choices.....something I am not willing to do....at least not based on the name/label of a specific diet.
    If anyone is interested in what I eat and why, I am very willing to share ........even though what works for me ( for example, I am a volume eater ) might not work for most people .
  • stacw1987
    Options

And the ones who say they're leaving keep coming back. Haha

When I said I'm not posting anymore I mean I'm not starting any new threads.