Should I be offended?

Options

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You're offended because someone called you out for being strong.

Would you rather it was the opposite, that you were called out for being weak?

Take a good look at the people who are coming to receive that help you're volunteering for and you'll see what a real problem is.
  • Papa_Grande
    Papa_Grande Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I honestly thought you were kidding.

Since you evidently weren't: Be an adult. Form your own opinion about what your actions should be....

(Or does saying that "violate a guideline"?)

And, I'm curious: WERE they serving Shakeology?
  • Papa_Grande
    Options
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I’m glad I don’t stress over stuff like that, life would suck feeling like that all the time.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    And here I was thinking maybe YOU were trolling ..... btw, hope you washed your hands after visiting the restroom !
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you write it down to keep track of how many times you are selected due to strength.

If this becomes a constant problem you may need to take it up with your parents, personal trainer, supplement companies and other advocates for strength.

If this is a one time occurrence and it doesn't happen again then I say move on and stop hanging out with people who look/seem stronger than you.

...wonder if I am offending tall guys when I ask them to get things off the high shelf...
  • drich1989
    drich1989 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Please dont call. I find this ridiculous. If you were the biggest one there, then I think you should do the harder work. I highly doubt anyone meant any offense. Some people are better built for certain jobs than others. You were there to help them with what they needed, not the other way around. Be happy that you were able to assist and did a good deed.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? This has to be trolling, maybe at its finest...because when you come back to itemize the "violators" you then go on to say it looks about 50/50 and your looking for additional input...................but I thought I only saw 2 or 3 people saying you should be offended (and those seemed pretty sarcastic). Bottom line is don't volunteer if you don't want to be put to work! If you continue to volunteer don't whine about your assignment if you have the ability to do it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Take a good look at the people who are coming to receive that help you're volunteering for and you'll see what a real problem is.

I'm offended because I was treated differently because of my body. too weak, too strong, too skinny, too fat, too tall, too short? Is there really that big of a difference?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

I'm offended because I was treated differently because of my body. too weak, too strong, too skinny, too fat? Is there really that big of a difference?

hoping this is a troll.

On the off chance its not... would it have made a difference to you if they asked for your help, and thier stated reason was 'because you are the strongest' and they made no mention of you body?

not sure what could possibly be offensive in that case
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have a tall/strong male friend who is frequently asked to help out with physical labor due to his physical stature.

He has a back injury and while he "looks" strong, he can not do heavy lifting. At the time he is asked, he politely declines and says, "I'd love to help, but I have an injury that does not allow me to perform xyz. However, I'd love to be of assistance, is there something else I can help you with?"

That is my suggestion to you if this ever happens in the future. Kindly decline the specific physical task and offer help in other ways.
    It is not helpful to complain after the fact that you have been "offended". I'm sure the intent was not to objectify you. My suggestion is to deal with situations professionally and cordially as they happen in an open and communicative manner. Your attitude will be appreciated. Thank you for volunteering for good causes. Keep up the good work and good luck.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    It's not a stereotype if it's true.

I guess you fit that stereotype of looking big and strong and actually being as big and strong as you look.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a dang duck.

Just accept yourself, don't be ashamed of your stereotype.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

I'm offended because I was treated differently because of my body. too weak, too strong, too skinny, too fat? Is there really that big of a difference?

hoping this is a troll.

On the off chance its not... would it have made a difference to you if they asked for your help, and thier stated reason was 'because you are the strongest' and they made no mention of you body?

not sure what could possibly be offensive in that case
    So if you have a group of athletes and one out of shape chubby person and you say......"Here....you come with me and do this job because you are the most out of shape" that's ok? Even if no mention is made of their body? I want to make sure I understand what you are saying.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Always be offended. Those *kitten*!
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    It's not a stereotype if it's true.

I guess you fit that stereotype of looking big and strong and actually being as big and strong as you look.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a dang duck.

Just accept yourself, don't be ashamed of your stereotype.

Thank you. I think this is a good point. I need to learn to be happy with myself and not worry about what others say/think. Just easier said than done sometimes.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Definitely complain. I suggest that you write them a STRONGLY worded letter for strength-shaming you like some kind of animal.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    So today I went to volunteer at a local food bank. When we got there I had to go to the restroom so I went as the other volunteers were getting set up. When I got into the kitchen, all of the volunteers had been assigned positions and I was given the role of putting stickers on meals to show when they needed to be used/thrown away by. So as I grab the stickers and begin to perform my role, one of the coordinators calls out from across the kitchen that they need me in their area because it is a lot of manual labor and I was the biggest/strongest one there. I felt so embarrassed with them calling me out like that. Why should I be singled out and tasked with the harder/physical jobs just because I am the strongest? I feel like I have discriminated against because of my body. Should I call and complain?

:noway:

Narcissism at it's finest.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    So today I went to volunteer at a local food bank. When we got there I had to go to the restroom so I went as the other volunteers were getting set up. When I got into the kitchen, all of the volunteers had been assigned positions and I was given the role of putting stickers on meals to show when they needed to be used/thrown away by. So as I grab the stickers and begin to perform my role, one of the coordinators calls out from across the kitchen that they need me in their area because it is a lot of manual labor and I was the biggest/strongest one there. I felt so embarrassed with them calling me out like that. Why should I be singled out and tasked with the harder/physical jobs just because I am the strongest? I feel like I have discriminated against because of my body. Should I call and complain?

Are you saying that I asked for it? That I brought it upon myself? That's what it seems like and that is awfully closed minded of you.
  • Papa_Grande
    Options

Are you saying that I asked for it? That I brought it upon myself? That's what it seems like and that is awfully closed minded of you.

Well done, Jac. :drinker:
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Jac: (I hope it is ok to call you that), a couple of points I would like to make:

1. You being strong is a personal choice, no one did this to you. YOU decided to alter your body through repeditive movements. I think you will never be satified with yourself until you realize your current condition is YOUR fault and not those around you. The blame is clearly yours. I know sometimes it hurts to have this brought up, BUT I felt it was best.

2. Are you sure you were on the right side of the counter?