• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    "I thought you'd be bigger"

I wish it was the first time I'd heard that.... :cry:
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You could probably let a 4-5 second long really smelly fart rip the next time they ask you to lift something. Maybe they won't ask again.
    And look them in the eyes while doing it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

changed my mind, new thread winner. well...it's a tie.
  • jnielsen85
    jnielsen85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    He who goes to the bathroom during setup gets the sh** jobs so to speak hahahahaha :)
  • PumpkinTwerker
    Options
    You. Were. Not. Oppressed.

You were not stigmatized.

You were assigned a job based on your capabilities.

If you can't handle that, stop volunteering.

I.Was.Called Out.
    I Was assigned a job based on my body appearance alone.

I have no issue with the work.....or the volunteering....just the way it was assigned and I was called out. Help me understand why it's different than someone being assigned the anchor on the tug-of-war team because they are fatter or the basketball/volleyball player because they are taller.......Or the lollipop guild in the school play because they are shorter.

I would choose a tall person for basketball and a short person for a short character. I do not believe that is an issue.

Choosing an anchor based on weight would be considered offensive because people who are fat are already an oppressed and stigmatized group who have to deal with societal discrimination on a daily basis. See the difference?

You're as bad as people who make claims of "reverse racism". ugh.

You think tall people or short people aren't stigmatized

No, I don't. If you're talking about someone with Dwarfism, that's another issue entirely because that's a disability. And I don't believe I see tall people getting heckled on the street or given dirty looks at restaurants or treated in any way like someone who is fat gets treated.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options

2qkmstk.gif
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

I.Was.Called Out.

I have no issue with the work.....or the volunteering....just the way it was assigned and I was called out. Help me understand why it's different than someone being assigned the anchor on the tug-of-war team because they are fatter or the basketball/volleyball player because they are taller.......Or the lollipop guild in the school play because they are shorter.

I would choose a tall person for basketball and a short person for a short character. I do not believe that is an issue.

Choosing an anchor based on weight would be considered offensive because people who are fat are already an oppressed and stigmatized group who have to deal with societal discrimination on a daily basis. See the difference?

No, I don't. If you're talking about someone with Dwarfism, that's another issue entirely because that's a disability. And I don't believe I see tall people getting heckled on the street or given dirty looks at restaurants or treated in any way like someone who is fat gets treated.

I have not seen those kinds of actions to an overweight person since grade school. Kids are really mean
  • JMoore221979
    JMoore221979 Posts: 266
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. Do I care...no why would I? Take it as a compliment and enjoy what others think of your hard work. Geez never have I ever even looked at it the way you did. Especially since it was at a food bank. Come on man!
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm getting scared of volunteering due to this thread.

Right? It seems like a scary thing to do.
    Especially if OP is there
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. Do I care...no why would I? Take it as a compliment and enjoy what others think of your hard work. Geez never have I ever even looked at it the way you did. Especially since it was at a food bank. Come on man!

MMMMmmmmmmm :love:
  • PumpkinTwerker
    Options

I.Was.Called Out.

I have not seen those kinds of actions to an overweight person since grade school. Kids are really mean

Well then you're lucky. My fat friend Ragen was out running and someone stopped their car, called her a fat b****, and threw eggs at her. My friend Paul, who is very big, had someone come up to him at a restaurant and yell at him in front of everyone for ordering something in Alfredo sauce. They are both in their late 30s. So NO, I do NOT think you should be whining. You have no idea what being singled out really means.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

I.Was.Called Out.

Well then you're lucky. My fat friend Ragen was out running and someone stopped their car, called her a fat b****, and threw eggs at her. My friend Paul, who is very big, had someone come up to him at a restaurant and yell at him in front of everyone for ordering something in Alfredo sauce. They are both in their late 30s. So NO, I do NOT think you should be whining. You have no idea what being singled out really means.

It's terrible that either of those things happened. Those are both awful.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed there aren't any kitten gifs yet. We're up to page 7 and no one posted a kitten gif. *sad*
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Good grief! You were there to volunteer. I didn't read the whole thread, but you didn't say what you had to lift.

If you were offended, next time tell them you want to do lighter work (which means you'll have to wait to go to the bathroom until after the jobs are assigned)--or show up on crutches. I don't know where you're from, but I'm from the South. Women do physical stuff, too, but men usually do the more physical, labor-intensive jobs. It's expected.

Besides, you're on MFP to lose weight (I assume) and get healthier/fitter. Having a more physical task will help with all of that.

No, you shouldn't report anyone. Get a different place to volunteer or a new attitude if you aren't happy helping out there. Simple.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I'm getting scared of volunteering due to this thread.

Right? It seems like a scary thing to do.
    Especially if OP is there

Well actually I'm afraid of braid girl or someone like her taking it upon themselves to appoint themselves "boss" and telling me what to do based on my appearance alone and a 2 minute assessment. Even when I look as fit as all get out I have back issues and should not be asked to lift heavy things repeatedly or in an awkward way that might compromise my form. If she saw me though amongst some of the other mom's at school she or someone might deem me the "strongest" and make me do hard labor.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I.Was.Called Out.

I really hope Ragen and Paul don't have MFP because you just called them fat and big and they are your friends? Especially Ragen though because that's such a unique spelling of that name plus your face is on your avi, and yeah...just sad.:embarassed:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Or have to take the stairs at work because they are too short to push the top button?

Don't talk about me like I'm not here.

I think you should be offended for people suggesting that you have NPD and should be ashamed of that.

My mind is officially boggled. I am fascinated by how many people are taking you seriously. Thanks for the psychological contemplation material!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Or have to take the stairs at work because they are too short to push the top button?

Don't talk about me like I'm not here.

I think you should be offended for people suggesting that you have NPD and should be ashamed of that.

My mind is officially boggled. I am fascinated by how many people are taking you seriously. Thanks for the psychological contemplation material!
    heh
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Personally, I choose a doctor based on the degree he's earned and hence the knowledge he should have stored in his brain.

I choose a mechanic based on his skills.

I chose my boyfriend based on many factors, some of which were his appearance and my attraction to it.

I chose my Italian Greyhound based on his size and build.

I chose my mutt based on her beautiful long brindle fur, and her size and build.

I chose my car based on its color, speed and shape.

I don't get what is the issue. We're all chosen for various things based on various factors involving our appearance and abilities. If we're not allowed to choose people based on such factors, then I guess I'd like my professional basketball contract now, please. I have no particular skill or ability, and I'm short, but apparently that doesn't matter.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    take it as a compliment