Bump.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In ... to read later!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Hi great info but could you add more for a beginner how do we start weight wise and how should I build up, e.g how many times to lift a week, when do I increase weight etc. I have done body pump so, even though it is more cardio than weight lifting, I do have an idea of proper form but not much else!!!! We have weights and a bench just sitting about the house so I can do this at home

Thanks
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thank you and bump!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hi great info but could you add more for a beginner how do we start weight wise and how should I build up, e.g how many times to lift a week, when do I increase weight etc. I have done body pump so, even though it is more cardio than weight lifting, I do have an idea of proper form but not much else!!!! We have weights and a bench just sitting about the house so I can do this at home

Pick one of the suggested programs and follow their rules.

Typically, you workout every other day. You usually start with an empty barbell (45 pounds), or 15- or 20-pound dumbbells if the bar is too heavy for you. Increase weights by 5 pounds every workout until you stall, except deadlift where you add 10 pounds every workout. When you finally stall, there will be some de-loading rules to follow - something like "if you fail 3 days in a row, reduce weight 10%".

Different programs will vary slightly with the progression and de-load rules, so pay attention to them when you pick your program.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    IN! for solid info :)
  • lykostobias
    lykostobias Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In!
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jmclaren1
    jmclaren1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump. Saving this info and video's for later! :flowerforyou:
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    In to save for reference. Thanks!
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meghanbefit
    meghanbefit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slatch10
    slatch10 Posts: 14
    Options
    BUMP
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Saving this!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    In for info. :smile:
  • oOTeresaOo
    oOTeresaOo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! I wish i wouldve known before i started. I have injured myself before. But gonna start all over and do it right this time!
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    following for info and videos
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! for this great post and pool of resources.

This confirms what I intuitively know to be correct - that I must have a strong foundation in the basic compound lifts before I move on to anything else.

Yesterday, once again I "interviewed" a potential trainer. I told her I want to get good form advice for SL5x5, the next thing I know, she is telling me that I will get better results doing 4x20 at lower weights w/ 2-3 day splits and all that mumbo jumbo. At this point I don't want a complicated program (who knows, that may change in the future). Right now I just want to know that I am using the correct form for back squats, rows, OHP, bench press and deadlift. I have yet to find a trainer who is willing to watch my workout and tell me what I'm doing right and correct the things I might be doing wrong.

I will be studying the links provided and get this right! Thanks again.:flowerforyou: