To all parents.....Should I give this lady a tip?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Personally I tend to only tip people who go above and beyond...otherwise their standard wage is what they get paid for - doing their job in a mediocre yet acceptable fashion.

If they exceed that expectation, they get a tip...if they don't, they don't.

That's just me though, my wife hates it.

So you're telling me that waiters/waitresses deserve the $2.13/hr base pay (that's what it is here in Alabama) for not going above and beyond the call of duty to keep your glass filled? It's a different story if it was crappy service, and in that case, do what you please. But if the service was normal but not extraordinary, then they should still get a tip. These people make 75% of their wages from tips.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Personally I tend to only tip people who go above and beyond...otherwise their standard wage is what they get paid for - doing their job in a mediocre yet acceptable fashion.

So you're telling me that waiters/waitresses deserve the $2.13/hr base pay (that's what it is here in Alabama) for not going above and beyond the call of duty to keep your glass filled? It's a different story if it was crappy service, and in that case, do what you please. But if the service was normal but not extraordinary, then they should still get a tip. These people make 75% of their wages from tips.

He must expect them to come out with a smoke machine, blaring the Space Jam theme song while cartwheeling over to his table.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

that guy is from canada as well. his waiters will be getting at least 10/hour
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    What would I do???? :huh:
    I would have informed my teenage daughter about "pot" before a manicurist did. Letting her know that some people smoke it for a buzz that happens to be safer than the effects of alcohol and some use it to cope with pain under the supervision of a medical professional. :smokin:
    I would also have taught my daughter that when a service is provided for you, such as getting your nails done, that it is PROPER to tip the person who did it and that forgetting and keeping the money is not an option, unless a bad job was done. :noway:
    (maybe a quick chat about the birds and the bees would be in order before the tattooed, pierced up druggie at the supermarket explains what condoms are) <<--- Sarcasm at it's highest, just in case anyone thought otherwise.

I think there are two issues here and that they are seperate:

1.) Should a person return to a service organization to tip a vendor that normally recieves tips as part of their compensation:
    A: I do regularly when a relative or child does not tip appropriatelythat i am with. Its part of their social education.

2.) Should a service representative be giving medical advice that is outside their expertice to a minor: Not enough information at this point; we are not being told how the conversation evolved nor were we there. I do know that all caring people do normally give health advise when we are asked for it. Look at MFP, we take our experiences for fitness and normally pass it to others.

I am not a user of MJ nor do I intend to be in the future regardless of the laws. I also know that MJ has never been clearly tested without the results being squed one way or the other. THe research I have done into the subject has revealed numerious testimonials to its benefits by many doctors (Sanja Gupta for one).
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    OP, you're getting played. Your daughter clearly kept the tip on purpose so she could by a ten sack later that day. she was then busted by you and passed the blame off to the manicure lady. oldest trick in the book
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You're going to stiff the woman on a tip because she dared to offer a different way to treat migraines? Medical marijuana can do wonders for some medical issues. It's not like she sold your kid a freaking nickle bag. Some people man....:grumble:
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    1. vaporizer - look it up, best way to injest it. (eating it is ok, but it metabolizes differently, turns more into a hallucinogen)

2. medical is a life saver. it saved my sanity, and saves millions of others from a myriad of other issues.

3. there is nothing wrong with wanting to get high. its better than getting drunk. way less brain cells killed.

4. you're kid has so much respect for you, she came and told you what the chic said to her. she didnt hide it from you, you should be thrilled. you have a great relationship with your kid. focus on that. the manicurist is not an issue.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It is called medicinal marijuana and is prescribed by a doctor so why are people getting their panties in a twist? She might as well be talking about getting a prescription for any other drug, no difference. I fail to see the issue here.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would be questioning why your daughter kept the tip money (i.e. to buy a dime bag.)

Aside from the drug debate, my issue on this is that you made it an issue to begin with. The closed-mindedness of some parents with what their kids are subjected to is a bit naive and excessive. Your daughter knows about pot and has conversed in a lot of other issues that you may blanch at. While it MAY be unprofessional, a client/manicurist relationship is that of a confidant, but less money for the hour than a shrink would charge. Just because something is discussed doesn't mean your kid is going to partake in the topic at hand. Making a big deal out of this says more about you than that of the chick doing nails. I can't even imagine the bubble you keep your daughter in, but it's not going to be beneficial to her when down the road.

There's a big difference between what kids talk about, or what kids hear about, and another adult suggesting that your kid partake in something controversial (that an adult SHOULD be able to realize the kid's parents might not like). My kids are not sheltered at all, but my initial reaction would have been annoyance -- which would have nothing to do with keeping my kid in a bubble, and everything to do with some adult butting in to my parenting. (Although, like I said above, on second thought she was only saying, "Talk to your mom about it," and there's really nothing wrong with that.) I also got annoyed when my daughter's teacher told her she was making "a bad decision" because she planned to watch anime all weekend (it's summer break). Obviously I'm not trying to shelter her from... uh, *not* watching anime? Just, you know, let me parent my own kid.

Clearly a suggestion for relief from massive migraines is "butting" in on your parenting.

And if THAT isn't enough of a clue that this ***** is stepping on your toes, then her suggesting that your kid talk to you about it is for SURE a challenge. You should throat punch her like a boss...clearly she is out of line.

Reading comprehension, much?

Awe your cute :) i was being sarcastic lol
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    OP, you're getting played. Your daughter clearly kept the tip on purpose so she could by a ten sack later that day. she was then busted by you and passed the blame off to the manicure lady. oldest trick in the book

Lol, seriously, why didn't she just walk over and give the tip to the woman? Salons aren't normally even that big. I have hunted servers down in large restaurants before to make sure they get a tip. Smh.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    The tip is upto you.

Why this topic needs a thread IDK.

What's so bad about marijuana?!

I forgot...pass the doritos...

MMMmmmm I am hanging out with you two! :laugh:
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    What would you do?

First I would preheat the oven to 350 degrees, 375 for a dark no-stick pan. Combine the eggs, brownie mix, vegetable oil, and stir till well blended. Fold in the "special" ingredient. Spray the pan with a non-stick spray. Pour into pan and bake for about 35 minutes.

You should use a double boiler pot and heat the special ingrediant to 120F for 45 minutes first, then add it to the mixture after straining the green leaf matter.

And you too! :laugh:
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'd feel guilty for not tipping. That said, the conversation was totally inappropriate. Maybe she wasn't aware your daughter was so young? If she thought that your daughter was of age the topic might not be so egregious, but I'm from Boulder so maybe my view is lax.
  • Eaving1
    Eaving1 Posts: 40
    Options
    It doesn't sound like this girl was being malicious, just sounds like she was offering a suggestion of something she thought might help your daughter.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Maybe next time, take your daughter yourself instead of just having her dropped off.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Maybe next time, take your daughter yourself instead of just having her dropped off.

i think its perfectly acceptable for a 14 year old to be dropped off by her grandmother

however it is not perfectly acceptable for a stranger whos job is to do nails to discuss using medicinal marijuana to cure migraines