Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you mean by "clean eating"…. it may very well be an advantage for you as far as health purposes go… and usually the "clean" foods tend to have nutrients (fiber, protein) that will help you feel fuller at less calories. Which may be very helpful in losing weight. However… like it has been pointed out… You still have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Calories in must be less than calories out.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has hit the clean points dead on. I try to eat cleaner foods as it allows me to eat a meal at 400 calories rather than a side equaling that amount. But I am hardly a "Clean eater" or restricting myself to clean foods.
    The key is weigh everything and record everything notonly does this help eat at a deficit it helps make decisions moving forward. I love Pizza, but at 500 calories a slice I know i can be far more satisfied with salmon or chicken without sacrificing my goals.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Eating clean gets you back to eating healthy so you get the benefits inside and out. Yes, you will lose weight on a calorie deficit of Twinkies but you'll be a twinkie. No one wants to be a twinkie. The problem with eating clean is reaching your caloric goal. When you eat clean you have more food to eat so most people have a hard time getting them all in. I know, what a problem to have.
    You can do it.
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Think 1 cup potato flakes with preservatives with 2 TBS processed margarine and 1 cup milk for over 500 calories vs chicken thigh, 2 cups steamed broccoli, grilled ear of corn and 2 cups fresh strawberries for under 500 calories. The second option has less calories, more nutrients and fills me up more. I feel better physically eating les preservatives and random chemicals... That is why I try to eat clean more

Exactly!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Think 1 cup potato flakes with preservatives with 2 TBS processed margarine and 1 cup milk for over 500 calories vs chicken thigh, 2 cups steamed broccoli, grilled ear of corn and 2 cups fresh strawberries for under 500 calories. The second option has less calories, more nutrients and fills me up more. I feel better physically eating les preservatives and random chemicals... That is why I try to eat clean more

Exactly!
    So by this example a produce section potato is not clean? Also, what are "random" chemicals?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Exactly!
    So by this example a produce section potato is not clean? Also, what are "random" chemicals?

That's what I was wondering. I personally don't get why anyone would use potato flakes just for straight up taste reasons, but my guess is that equivalent amounts of mashed potatoes made with butter and milk from grass fed cows would have similar calories. Margarine is not something I eat, but it's not higher cal than natural butter.

Also you hardly need to add bunches of butter OR margarine or milk, especially not whole, to have good mashed potatoes if you are eating it as an accompaniment to meat with juices. I usually add a bit of milk and more often have roasted potatoes, but you can have potatoes with your chicken and broccoli and stay under 500 if you don't eat huge amounts. Also, you can switch the chicken with other cuts of meat or larger cuts and bust through 500 with it being no more or less clean.

Also eating mostly whole, nutrient dense foods with some other stuff is moderation, not eating clean. Some of the comments make me think that some assume "clean" means just not eating "junk food" all day, which it logically cannot.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    500 calories of frozen waffles won't make you any fatter than 500 calories of broccoli.

This!

only 500 calories of broccolli is a lot more food than 500 calories of frozen waffles. And 500 calories of KFC won't keep you full very long where 500 calories of chicken breast with brown rice will..
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I hate the term 'clean eating', but it is true that many people.find it easier to stick to a calorie deficit by eating more whole, unprocessed foods. They simply fill you up more.

I never recommend going overboard with restrictions, but I personally do much better with losing weight and staying happy about it when I make a conscious effort to eat less processed and packaged foods. We still eat 'crap' foods at my house, but it's just a smaller percent of our overall diet now.
  • JoeyKoontz
    Options
    I eat "clean". Very little processed food, abstain from white breads, pastas, fatty and greasy foods, sodas etc. With that said, I agree with mostly everyone here. It's still about caloric intake vs. what you burn. If you eat too much of any calorie and burn less, you won't lose weight. I eat well and don't lose weight unless I lower my calories. I do however burn more fat and gain muscle as long as I'm working out 5-6 days per week. YMMV
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    While it might be harder to get fat on certain diets than others, there are some people who will just find a way. Don't assume you won't be one of them. Count calories, at least at first. The other day, a google search turned up a raw food MFPer who said she gained weight. I was sad. Knowing me, I'd probably gain weight on anything if I didn't watch myself like a hawk. I could probably go fruitarian and only eat what falls to the ground in front of me and still gain weight. If there's a will, there's a weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    500 calories of frozen waffles won't make you any fatter than 500 calories of broccoli.

This!

only 500 calories of broccolli is a lot more food than 500 calories of frozen waffles. And 500 calories of KFC won't keep you full very long where 500 calories of chicken breast with brown rice will..

Yup. That's why I expect most people watching their diets who have access to such ingredients and can cook switch over toward such meals vs. KFC or whatever without any need for special clean eating rules. I mean, surely we could all just decide to eat broadly healthy diets, yes? The assertion that makes no sense to me is that eating "clean" is somehow healthier or better for weight loss than these other ways of just trying to eat healthy.

Also, there are higher calorie "clean" foods. Some of my own "natural" preferences--which I don't defend as anything but my own preferences--are higher cal than the alternative. See the meat example I gave above, or say butter or olive oil vs other kinds of ways to cook or whole eggs vs egg whites or whole milk products vs skim or whatever low fat cheese is and on and on.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    whatisthisidontevenbeaker.gif
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with PinkinAngel about clean eating. When I cut out processed food, and food with high carbs and high sugar, my taste buds began to change. After going 30 days, I no longer craved donuts, cakes, iced coffee drinks, etc. If I did try them again (and it was usually with moderation), those foods were a disappointment. They were too sweet and really didn't seem to have much flavor. Amazingly, I now love broccoli, which was one of my least favorite foods before. Especially with a squeeze of lemon juice! In the process of cutting out the processed foods and sugars, I am losing weight. But the biggest advantage is that I feel like I have more control over my eating and don't feel as tempted by sweets.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Why is it every time someone talks about clean eating, the only options seem to be you are either eating clean or you're eating everything from a box? There are plenty of people who eat lots of whole foods but also include convenience foods. It's not an either/or situation.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me but I am really getting tired of the term "clean eating".

Eat at a deficit and exercise....boom!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

That's actually because the macros are totally different.

Make the majority of your diet from whole unprocessed sources (whatever your definition of 'clean' is) and have some treats from time to time that fit into cal/macro goals. No need to cut out entire food groups UNLESS you can't control the portions you eat them in or you are legitimately allergic/intolerant to them.

Cuts out processed foods, but still has a protein shake. Cuts out all sugar but still eats fruit. Cuts out all gluten for no particular reason except Dr Oz said so. Cuts out dairy because other animals don't drink other animals milk. Stuff like this is ridiculous and in most cases pointless.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is what I consider fresh (non-processed) foods. You certainly get a bigger nutrition, without chemicals, bang for your calorie.

As many have pointed out...weight loss is calories in vs. calories expended.

Good luck!
    Basic organic chemistry tells me that food without chemicals isn't possible. So, which chemicals are you considering 'unclean?'
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    why must there be a clean eating thread every day
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    why must there be a clean eating thread every day

Every day? More like every hour.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You always need to eat a deficit to loose weight. Not denying that by any means at all, which was not the point of my comment. I'm just saying that eating clean and healthy is good. Which it is. I could loose weight eating candy at a calorie deficit all day but I would be super super unhealthy. What's the point of loosing weight if you're unhealthy doing it? I just don't get it.

I'm not a "hater," I just like to work with facts.

In my teens and 20s (and even into my 30s) I couldn't care less about health, I only wanted to be skinny. Hence my diet of pickles, lettuce, black coffee, and cigarettes. And I wasn't special -- ALL the girls I knew did it.