OPINION ON ATKINS

Options

Replies

• justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Gym and food can get expensive!! : P

You don't have to go to the gym to exercise. I have a gym membership when it's just cold/rainy/snowy/whatever to go outside and be active. I could totally get away without it, in fact I don't generally go there from April to December because I run and could do exercises in the livingroom.

Excepting the gym, my expense is running shoes and races. I don't generally buy most of my running attire because the races give you stuff and you can exercise in it if you don't mind looking like a NASCAR.

As far as food, you have to eat anyway. Plan your meals around what's on sale, make enough for leftovers or at least make several meals using the ingredients that are on sale, you don't have to have the same meal all week just because you stocked up on peppers or chicken breast or bacon.

What is more expensive is big people clothes (seriously I used to be charged more), medical bills, you name it.

All that being said, diets with a name generally deprive you of something and once you start doing/having it again, all your progress will be lost. If you want to deprive yourself of something to lose weight, I'd suggest second/third helpings.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I did Adkins about 15 years ago and lost a bunch of weight, but for me, it was unsustainable long term and I was ignorant on what was really going on, so I gained it all back and with a vengence. That being said, the reason it works is because you will be eating at a caloric deficit for a while even though you are eating meat and fat in high amounts. Both of these macro-nutrients are very satiating and you will naturally not be hungry (that's why these two macros typically are recommended in higher amounts in dieting on some of these forums...not because you need to eat that much protein or fat, but they help with hunger), so in turn, you are actually eating less overall calories than your body needs (for a time). Also, typically people who have become obese, have messed up their insulin sensitivity and eating a lower carb diet results in not eating highly processed carbs which are not satiating and and are typically caloric-ally dense (so one tends to overindulge and eat more, thus gaining weight). But at some point in time, even eating low carb, you will reach a threshold point where your calories burned = calories taken in and you will need to reduce calories or increase activity to lose more weight. So in the end, no matter what method you use to get there...it's calories in vs calories out.
  • Jacob021
    Jacob021 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I decided that I must lose weight I did quite a lot of reading. I tried low carb too for a couple of weeks.

My impression is that Atkins is really a low calorie diet too.
    a) It is quite hard to keep to 5%-10% carbs.
    b) You never feel hungry
    c) After 2-3 days of Bacon and Eggs you get sick of them...

I stopped it as the food I had to eat was "unnatural" to my normal diet and couldn't keep up this pattern for life.

Also, it appears that for many who are insulin-resistant low-carb may be the only way to lose weight

I don't go to the Gym either... I go walking on public streets and for weights I use my wife's candle holders ( !!)
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    I don't think it's sustainable. It made me very sick and I ended up having to see a doctor... and I didn't even do it to any extreme either.

I am classified as insulin-resistant (syndrom X) myself, and it made me feel horrible. Calorie deficit, low sugar is the way to go in my opinion. The hardest part is accepting that you can't take it real fast. It is also easier to just plain stick with macros and go and the way to do this is find your weakest point and shore that up.... that is... am I going out to eat every day... or am I drink 5 sodas. Start there and make smaller steps rather than something extreme like Atkins.... you can't sustain it.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Op, my husband did this a number of years ago and lost weght but like others said, its not sustainable. And eating high amounts of fat while cutting out carbs --- bad idea. For me personally I try and eat lower amounts of carbs but dont replace them with fat. Your ticker says you have 9 pounds to lose, if thats accurate Atkins doesn't seem the healthiest way to go about it.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical reason to cut carbs, I wouldn't recommend Atkins.
    My personal opinion is diets like Atkins are fads. You lose weight on them, but once you transition into normal eating habits, you can gain weight back. It's a cycle. The same with products like Advocare, Herbalife, ect.

Calorie deficit and exercise is the motto I go by, and it's worked for me and many others on the websites. Losing weight should be a lifestyle change, and to learn habits to lose weight, and keep it off when you transition to maintenance. Unless you plan on eating Atkins forever, I'd recommend learning moderation, and how to eat the foods you want while reaching your goals.

That's true of ANY DIET. If you go back to eating too many calories for your height you'll gain weight end of story. there are benefits to atkins. it curbs your carb cravings and hunger levels. You have to count your calories still and when you get off the diet you STILL have to maintain your calories.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is diets like Atkins are fads. You lose weight on them, but once you transition into normal eating habits, you can gain weight back. It's a cycle. The same with products like Advocare, Herbalife, ect.

Calorie deficit and exercise is the motto I go by, and it's worked for me and many others on the websites. Losing weight should be a lifestyle change, and to learn habits to lose weight, and keep it off when you transition to maintenance. Unless you plan on eating Atkins forever, I'd recommend learning moderation, and how to eat the foods you want while reaching your goals.

That's true of ANY DIET. If you go back to eating too many calories for your height you'll gain weight end of story. there are benefits to atkins. it curbs your carb cravings and hunger levels. You have to count your calories still and when you get off the diet you STILL have to maintain your calories.

I'm aware.
    She asked about Atkins. I answered in regards to Atkins.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Atkins diet - Opinions?

Why?
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

I'm aware.

not really, because it's not an atkins thing. you don't gain weight when going off atkins unless you eat too much after going off atkins. it isn't a correlation
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    After seeing the other threads started by the OP I'm not sure any diet advice is the wisest course of action. She created this thread, a what time of day to eat carbs thread, and an ED related thread overnight. An ED related thread coupled with questions about a restrictive eating plan such as Atkins raises a few red flags from my perspective.

OP ...
    What is your height?
    What is your current weight?
    What is your goal weight?
    What is your ED history?
    What is your thought process behind wanting information on such a restrictive eating plan?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I'm aware.

not really, because it's not an atkins thing. you don't gain weight when going off atkins unless you eat too much after going off atkins. it isn't a correlation

I never said you "would" gain weight going off Atkins. I said you "can" gain weight back transitioning into normal eating habits.
    I also stated that it's the same with other products.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Back in 2004 my health teacher said she and her husband went on Atkins, lost a lot of weight and then gained it all back after a good Thanksgiving meal. Normally one might gain a pound or two on a splurge like that so uh yeah.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    28681-nicki-minaj-Hell-no-gif-LuBd.gif
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I love Atkins, and would reccomend it if you have a lot of weight to lose, but I would say read the book cover to cover and go through all the phases.

The goal is to reintroduce carbs slowly back into your diet, not to give up carbs for the rest of your life.

I lost my first 70 lbs through Atkins and walking my dog :)

It is a tool I know how to use if I start putting on lbs again.

Move through the program, it fails most people because the first stage is very restrictive, but people stay on the first stage longer than they are supposed to because you do drop weight pretty quickly.

Then they get bored, start eating again and then the diet is a "failure", when really the indiviual fails the diet.

So again, I love the diet, lost a lot of weight on it, read the book cover to cover, do all the phases, dont skip, give yourself a year to do the whole program.

lost 70 lbs on Atkins, the last 26 i lost calorie counting :)

you mean there's more to it than the induction diet? NO WAI
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I did it. Lost 75 lbs doing it. However, it proved to be an unstainable diet that I couldn't hold to for life and didn't provide me with the knowledge I needed to maintain my weight, regardless of the food I was eating.

I would recommend a more moderate approach that comes free on the internet.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Atkins - soooo 10 years ago.
  • heh7370
    heh7370 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My sister has done Atkins...multiple times. She refuses to listen that there are other ways to lose weight. The most recent time, this past month, she ended up going to the ER with intense stomach pains. I wasn't there so obviously I don't know the doctor's exact words, but she told me that the doctor said to stop doing Atkins, as it will continue to give her digestive issues. Luckily she wasn't in danger of any serious harm at that moment, but it is something to keep in mind.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did the new Atkins and followed it as the book tells you to. I had success on it and didnt feel like crap, I still watch my carb intake, lower carbs and higher protien works for me, but everyone is different. Find what works for you in a healthy way!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I used the '02 version for a six month stint, and then a two month follow up (couldn't do it during the holidays.) I lost 60 lbs before I reached my goal and gave ketosis up.

When it came down to it, Atkins provided a natural appetite suppression and its rules helped me not to sneak junk food, ever. So, the "miracle" turned out to be that I was eating fewer calories than I was burning.

I don't use Atkins any more, but I'm glad to have tried. And boy did that pizza look surprised when I gave up keto!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    He died of an heart attack when he was quite young. - not a good advert