Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy. Lean meats. No fries.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. At the very worst... you'll postpone progress for a like week after coming back from vacation. Big deal, you get right back into the routine of things and you'll be back en route to your goal. You've lost 80 lbs already.. that should count for something right? You know exactly what to do to get the ball rolling in the right direction again.

You're not stepping on stage and being judged by others, you don't a date that you need to be "x" lbs. by... just enjoy it. Enjoy the journey.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I just guess at the calories if i don't know and if you don't do it often just tack it up to being a treat day.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

I work in a restaurant. While there I eat out three times a week . It's free so I'd be foolish not to. I don't know what the exact calorie count for each meal I eat is, as it would be impossible to figure out. And yet, in the past 40 days I haven't gained or lost any weight. Not one single pound. Why? Because I took the time to learn about the general calorie content of many of the foods that I enjoy. Seriously. A little knowledge can go a long way. If I can do it for over a month you can do it for one day.

createschemaifnotexists.jpg?edf444
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Edited.... Deleted...

Not worth it. Why did I even come in the forums?
  • Shutter_bug03
    Shutter_bug03 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel totally. If we eat out, I try and eat light for breakfast/lunch so i can afford the extra calories for dinner. I have a hard time with knowing how to log it, so i try and guestimate if i can't find out, and add more than what it probably is. But, i also try not to worry so much over a once in awhile eating out and make the best choices i can at the time,without sacrificing the enjoyment of a night out without cooking!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I went to Denver for 10 days last year and I swear I spent the bulk of the money not on travel, not on air fare, not on anything but chicken salads.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    my bf loves to eat out and says you're doing it wrong if it is anything but relaxing.
  • janetlynn31
    janetlynn31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We eat out all the time - lots of places have calorie counts on their menu now, TONS of restaurant items are on MFP -- in fact, I don't think I've ever eaten at a restaurant that wasn't in the database. Or worst case scenario, I guess. If it's a place I don't go to often, I order what I want. I usually can't finish all of it, take half home, then end up forgetting about it. Enjoy - pick grilled, seafood, veggies ...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    As my good friend Dank Priest says "you're over thinking it."

Relax. You know how to build a proper low cal meal. Ask for light/no butter, oil, and dressings. Put what you've learned to work
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Provided that you don't eat out very often (once or twice per month), I wouldn't be too very bothered. Keep in mind that you will be going out to eat when you're eating your meals prior and/or after. If you exceed your calories, you have a few options:

1. Increase your exercise throughout the week to make up for the deficit.
    2. Reduce your calorie consumption throughout the week to average things out.
    3. Ignore it and move on, in the long run it shouldn't affect your weight too much.
    4. A combination of the above.

Most of all, don't stress about it. Part of learning healthy eating habits, and indeed a healthy lifestyle, is to merge it into your life and not let it control it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    As my good friend Dank Priest says "you're over thinking it."

Relax. You know how to build a proper low cal meal. Ask for light/no butter, oil, and dressings. Put what you've learned to work

My pal DanFull says "just work out".

touche'.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Look, I'm a business traveler and eat at restaurants probably more than most, except for Derp....

make good choices, go easy on the booze, enjoy the food.

go home.

done.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I eat out all the time, I just don't eat it all, and I don't bring home a doggy bag either.

If I have a choice at a steak house I'll order the steak salad, or a 6 oz. sirloin, eat 3 oz. of it, a side salad with dressing on the side, and a vegi and skip the fries and loaded potatoes. Obviously no appetizers or deserts.

Just think of restaurants and their serving size. Most give a serving that's capable of filling up a 400 pound man, that hasn't eaten in 3 days. IOW no one walks out hungry. If you eat it all and clean your plate you've probably consumed enough calories to last you a couple of days.

You can still go to restaurants and enjoy yourself, just plan what you're going to do before you get there.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, it can be so frustrating! I'm surprised some people here are being so insensitive... One "bad" day may not do damage, but these "bad" days add up and are why we're all here, aren't they? Restaurants really don't make things easy unfortunately, everything seems to be focused around cheap flavor in large portions for as little money as possible still making a profit. That's probably why so many of us struggle with our weight, overeating has never been easier nor more tempting than it is now. I do try to avoid going places where I can't log since places can vary so much, but you're generally good if you order a salad without dressing (I always opt for one with grilled chicken and a bunch of different veggies such as peppers, and maybe even tortilla chips, which add flavor and not a terrible amount of calories). Fish is usually a good choice, too, as long as you watch out for butter sauces (and remember while Salmon is healthy, it tends to be a more fatty fish and therefore more calories). I also order soups whenever salad just doesn't seem to cut it (while they're high in sodium at least they're lower calorie). Whenever my family gets Chinese carry out, for example, I find it's easier to order Wonton Soup than sort through the entire menu.
    I wish you the best of luck, I hope all goes well and you're able to find a happy and healthy balance!
    Stay strong :)
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My way is try my best to eat keto and to guesstimate what I've eaten. One day over in calories isn't going to hurt. Eating too many carbs would though. I don't want to feel that awful again lol.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You've broken the back of it, so as long as you don't eat out three times a week every single week you should be OK!

Last year I put on 5lb over a 2-week holiday - way too much cheese, meat, fries - but I didn't put on more because I continued to go for long walks most days and I logged everything as far as I could. there's nowhere near as many NL restaurants with calorie counts OR listed on MFP as there are in the US or even UK. I put myself on maintenance for the holiday (still went over many days :tongue: )The when I got home I went straight back to being good and was back down to goal weight.

When I'm not on holiday, if I know I'm going out for a meal I make sure I eat at a bigger deficit for the rest of the week and "save" some calories for the meal out.
  • crownmaiden
    crownmaiden Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your situation!

Maybe you can order just sides, like a side salad and seasonal fruit and drink water. I've gotten weird looks before for building my own meal this way, but at least you can stick to your plan. I remember once eating at a Ruby Tuesdays, getting the salad, and finding out it had over 1000 calories alone, more than some of the other, tastier entrees! My husband and I like to look up nutritional info ahead of time, to decide before we're starving. We also split entrees most of the time anyway, since it's food for two meals or two people, and then you also save money and stress less about the amount you're eating.

Good luck!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

I work in a restaurant. While there I eat out three times a week . It's free so I'd be foolish not to. I don't know what the exact calorie count for each meal I eat is, as it would be impossible to figure out. And yet, in the past 40 days I haven't gained or lost any weight. Not one single pound. Why? Because I took the time to learn about the general calorie content of many of the foods that I enjoy. Seriously. A little knowledge can go a long way. If I can do it for over a month you can do it for one day.

Kisses for you :smooched:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

But I have no idea how they prepare their 'light sauce' on the fish or meat or whatnot. Believe me, after 1.5 year I'm not that bad at estimating my food and I know the calorie content of what I eat, but I don't eat sauces and don't put condiments on sandwiches or dressing on salad... but I don't like plain sandwiches or salads either.

The only two things I could have gotten at those 3 restaurants was sandwich without condiments, an omelet, or a plain steak with veggies... neither of which I felt like eating at all, because I could just do it at home and at least I'd know the calories for it. I know the calories in my mayo too so at least I know what I'm getting etc.

That's why I said it's ruined it for me... In most cases, if I'm going to end up eating some salad or eggs or grilled chicken or steak with veggies, well, why eat out when I can just make it at home, and without even having to worry about oil and butter...