Eating out is ruined for me now..

Options

Replies

• greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You've lost 80 pounds and are playing the "Yeah, but..." game like a newbie? What's with all the excuses?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You've lost 80 pounds and are playing the "Yeah, but..." game like a newbie? What's with all the excuses?

This...

Listen, while losing weight you still have to live and enjoy you're life. One meal, one day, one week, isn't going to destroy all of your progress.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I use the Sodexo entries a lot when I'm guessing at restaurant food.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    If I go out I try to get chicken, steamed veggies with salad (No Salad dressing, just squeeze lemon on but Balsalmic isn't too bad either). If your entree comes with a potato or rice just ask for extra steamed veggies. I pass on the rice, bread, potatoes, and appetizers. Just because you are going out to dinner doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself, just make good choices and you will be okay......just remember "FRENCH FRIES ARE THE DEVIL !!!"

If French fries are the devil, then I worship at the altar of satan almost every time I go out to eat.
    Still lost 39lbs.

Yup...same.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Just looking for a reason to be negative and complain.

Its such a shame that some people are so miserable that they don't even know how to enjoy life and their loved ones. Someone like this is making their whole family miserable.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Not sure where you're going on vacation, but you could also see if there's a nearby grocery store where you can pick up healthy items for breakfast, lunch or snacks.

Edit: I also want to say I'm jealous because I have not gone away on vacation for two weeks since I was, like, 10 years old.
    We're staying at a hotel without fridge, I think, and traveling four of those days... and it's only one week. We're visiting family... and what they're going to cook is a whole other matter, lol.

Yeah, the last time I was away on vacation that long it was to visit family. There was nothing to do there and the whole town smelled like manure. Good times.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    It's just one meal, every now and then - why stress over it? Life's too short.

Because it's not. It's one day after a day I already went over, and it's going to be a whole week in 2 weeks.

I eat out every other week or something, so it's not really new to me, but it's always a frustrating experience when we stick to local places. And I know, I don't have to eat the fries, but I don't want to be starving one hour later either, and just one steak is not going to cut it... Same for the people who say that they only eat half... I don't want to be starving two hours later, as I never know how big the meal is going to be when I order it. It's fairly easy to pack 1000 calories in a small plate, lol.

Who cares!? Just go enjoy your night! over eating for 2 days in a row won't make you gain weight, if you do it for a week straight, yeah you might gain a whole pound!! You've lost 80, you should know how to lose it the week after...

Of course it will. Two days at eating 1400 calories over my TDEE and guess what... it's almost one pound.
    Lol in the past month, i've had 2 10+ course tasting menus, a pop up restaurant lunch ordering 3/4 of the menu and 3 all you can eat and drink events. Somehow I did not become a fat slob despite making no effort to curtail cals at any of them

Good for you, but I can't just have one big meal a day or I get light headed during the day.
    If I know I'm eating out, I usually double my workout to earn more calories.

Me too, but that gives me a whopping 200 more calories :sad:

One steak is not going to cut it? Really? You need more than one steak for a meal to be satisfied? When you cook steak at home, do you make two for yourself? Eat veggies with the steak.

And you think that by eating half of an entree is going to cause you to be starving 2 hours later, but yet you acknowledge restaurant portions are huge. Do you not see the contradiction here?

EXACTLY. I'm talking about places that don't even offer fresh veggies on the side there. Just fries (like that beach restaurant we went to last week). So you end up eating just a steak. Not filling, lol.

And no, some restaurant portions are not huge at all. Or it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is all the extra calories that come in sauces, oil and butter.
    Honestly, it seems to me you are happier complaining about your plight than actually considering ways around your problem.

BINGO! :laugh:

Of course I'm complaining. That's why I posted a rant, after all. After 1.5 year of this, I know how to order food (when it's possible) at restaurants. My point is that it's ruined for me because now I don't enjoy eating out anymore because of it. Because having to order everything 'on the side' and eating plain food is nowhere as fun or tasty and I'd be better off eating at home. For *me* eating out was always fun because I loved the FOOD. I like the whole experience too, but I often find myself disappointed when we go out to have fun and I find myself with a menu where all I can eat is a salad... again.

It's called balance. If you can't enjoy the fun things in life, is "this" what you really want? You can lose/maintain weight and not be a social outcast. Trust me, it can be done. You didn't lose your weight overnight, and you won't get fat overnight. Most good restaurant food is swimming in grease so you'll violently expel it before it can actually stick anyway.

All of what they said.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Relax and enjoy it. It's just one meal. It won't ruin your week. One meal didn't make you gain it before so why would it now?

This is pretty much my philosophy also. I don't go hog wild and eat a weeks worth of calories in one meal, but I just resign myself to this one meal being high calorie and move one with my life.
  • ShayYoung1990
    ShayYoung1990 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, Your are 100% over thinking weight loss, it can be important to you now to look better with each week. But the bigger picture you need to still enjoy your self and 1 or 2 meals a week wont hurt. Its all about being consistent. Think of the long road not the short one.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Well, honestly, although I do it sporadically against my better judgement, eating out kinda grosses me out now. I won't get into details. If I think too much about it, I will never eat out again.

Food terrorism is real, not just a funny scene in Fight Club. haha
    The waiter's special sauce adds some - occasionally much needed - protein. Helps me reach my goals.
    No homo?
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    . So a restaurant is easier (although she always finds something to complain about).

But as I said... I love food. I've always loved going to restaurants for the food, especially dessert. It's a huge change for me. I'm guessing most of you have never seen things this way though so you don't 'get' it. Heck I think I'd be fine if menus had grilled chicken or steak with veggies most of the time... but often they don't, and I just hate being 'that woman' who asks everything to be made a special way, with sauce on the side and whatnot. And a lot of restaurants are not that accommodating really. I mean I can't really order grilled chicken if they only have sauteed chicken on the menu, for example... but either way, believe it or not, I'm not a confrontational person and I just hate being annoying.

1) Clearly you and your mother both love complaining. Apple, meet tree.
    2) For someone who 'hates being annoying' you are doing a great job of it on this thread.
  • GeorgiPorgi1989
    GeorgiPorgi1989 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    And it is people like you that is why I usually avoid forums. People have given you lots of helpful advice and suggestions and ideas. Yet there is an excuse how or why you can't do any of the suggestions.

YOU are the one saying 'eating out is ruined for me now'. People have tried to help so you don't feel like that. YOU are the person making excuses.

As for everyone else, I'd give up. You've all been very helpful and if it was me, I'd be eternally grateful for people taking the time and effort to try and help and advise me overcome such a fear. But I think you're all wasting your breath here.

I think everyone in this forum can prove eating out is still possible and eating some of the 'bad foods' (hate that term) in moderation. It's about choices and control and unfortunately my friend, that is where you come in. Noone else.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Man that sucks!!! I'm going to the Melting Pot (a fondue place for those that have never heard of it) tonight with friends and will enjoy every minute of it... why? Because while I'm watching what I eat most of the time... and getting my butt out of my swivel chair.... I don't want to live in such a way as to not enjoy it.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    On the one hand I have empathy for you, but on the other I think you just want to complain.
  • crazychic1133
    Options
    You need to relax!!

You've lost 80 pounds! Yes, you may gain a few pounds back during your vacation, but you won't gain the whole 80 pounds back in that break! So just relax, try to eat as healthy as possible, and enjoy the time with your loved ones!

You need to also change your mindset; you don't want something like this being the start of a future eating disorder. Control it, don't let it control you.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    really? i can pretty much find something reasonable wherever I go, and if not you just get what you like but only eat half... If I really want that big creamy saucy pasta dish I will get it, chances are I'm full about half way anyway, and only take a bite or two of the bread or give it to hubs lol. or I start with a salad or brothy soup and eat even less of my meal... or I ask if I can have the lunch size portion, or I ask for alterations.... so salad instead of fries but I still get to enjoy that wrap or burger. Or I'll have the fajitas hold the tortillas (and rice if I really want some chips and salsa) and extra lettuce please, it's still freaking delicious.

Enjoy your meal, skip the calorie laden drinks, and dessert and apps. .. and maybe if you know it's happening, get your burn on, or eat a lighter lunch. It's really not that hard or un-tasty (yes I know bad English but on a Friday that's all I got is un-tasty lol)

after 80lbs I am sure that you can manage to enjoy your meals on your vaction.... if dinner is th e meal you want to enjoy, then make sure breaky and lunch are lighter and go for it, and have fun.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And it is people like you that is why I usually avoid forums. People have given you lots of helpful advice and suggestions and ideas. Yet there is an excuse how or why you can't do any of the suggestions.

YOU are the one saying 'eating out is ruined for me now'. People have tried to help so you don't feel like that. YOU are the person making excuses.

As for everyone else, I'd give up. You've all been very helpful and if it was me, I'd be eternally grateful for people taking the time and effort to try and help and advise me overcome such a fear. But I think you're all wasting your breath here.

I think everyone in this forum can prove eating out is still possible and eating some of the 'bad foods' (hate that term) in moderation. It's about choices and control and unfortunately my friend, that is where you come in. Noone else.

You posted just to tell the OP that you usually avoid people like her?
  • ladylambeau
    ladylambeau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it's really a shame that most of the responses to her topic have been condescending, some downright rude, and overall NOT HELPFUL AT ALL.

She originally posted the topic just as a way to vent about not enjoying going out to eat as much as she previously had. Aren't we all at that point? Wasn't it nice to just go to your favorite restaurant, order whatever you fancied that day, without even a thought or care of how many calories/fat/etc you were taking it? Her, my, and most of your lives aren't like that anymore. I used to check out menus online just to decide ahead of time which deep-fried appetizer I was going to get alongside my meal. Now it's trying to find a dinner that will be taste good and be WORTH the time and money spent going out to eat, but still be reasonable in calories etc.

The woman has lost 80 pounds - which we should be applauding by the way - so she obviously knows what type of food she needs to order to stay within her daily goals. Telling her to order lean meat/veggies and skip the bread is kind of obvious at this point, isn't it?

What I think she's trying to convey (and correct me if I'm wrong), is the overall experience of eating dinner out. What used to be enjoyable has now become stressful and gets to the point where you cringe when someone suggests you go out.

Will one 'cheat' meal ruin everything? Absolutely not. Don't you think she knows that? She doesn't want to eat a fricken cheat meal! But sometimes, in order to please friends and family, you have to go out to eat even.if.you.dont.want.to. And yeah, having to pay $12 for a salad or tiny piece of lean meat when you could have had a nutrition-dense, satisfying and tasty meal at home is KIND OF A BUMMER. WHICH IS WHY SHE IS RANTING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

As far as her vacation: will one week of eating out kill all of her amazing progress? Again, absolutely not. Have you ever noticed the way you feel eating fresh homecooked foods vs restaurant food? Especially for a week straight? And especially if your body isn't used to it anymore? You feel like absolute ****; bloated, yucky, etc. Is that how you want to feel on a vacation?

So honestly, isn't MFP supposed to be a place where we can come for advice and support? Don't we all have bad days where we just feel defeated or want to complain or rant about something? I think we do. To everyone who said they don't have time for complainers or negativity - why are you replying in the same fashion?

End rant.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    What kind of woman dreads eating out?
    43635-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-iOGX.gif
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    You kinda have two choices.

You can out out less often and splurge when you do...

Or you can go out frequently and get salad with dressing on the side, hold the fried/crispy anything.

It's not hard. You can treat yourself occasionally, but if you have to eat at restaurants all the time, you can't unless you can make it fit. I'm in maintenance and really only get 1500 calories a day because I'm small/sedentary, so I know that making choices kind of sucks sometimes because it's easy to exceed my calories...but that's life and I don't want my muffin top to reappear.