WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: Regarding plant choices, I’d need more information to make suggestions. (Questions coming.) Do you know your growing zone? What is the elevation where you live? How tall can the plants be? Do you want evergreen or is deciduous okay? Most important, what do you like? On another subject, I love rails to trails paths, too. Those I’ve been on have been made into bike/walking paths.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: DGD is now three but was two in the picture.:heart::heart: :heart:

Sylvia: You are so pretty! You’ve already transformed yourself and I wouldn’t have recognized you from your driver’s license picture, either, unless I studied the picture and your face for quite a while. :noway: My driver’s license doesn’t match me, either. It is in the middle, between my heaviest and now. :flowerforyou:

I’m having a quiet day today, and making turkey soup. We have a grocery store that sells half turkeys that are just the right size to grill on our barbecue. We cooked this one when our DS and DDIL visited, and the leftovers are soup just waiting for a few final ingredients, including noodles. It won’t be dinnertime for a few hours yet.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - you look wonderful! What a difference

It's been a crazy week, work is so busy so I'm getting a lot of steps during the day. Last night was a crazy cardio boxing class, one woman almost collapsed and I overheated and had to leave during the cool down. It's an intense class.

Well I'm 1 lb from getting back to where I was. I'm hoping it's gone when I weigh in tomorrow morning.

I need to concentrate more on cooking as my sodium tends to get a bit high. It's finding the time. I don't get home from the gym until almost 7 pm and I go to bed by 9:30 - 10:00. It's been an big adjustment with DD going back to working the strange hours again. I really hope she gets a full time job soon.

Off to Walmart to pick up a few things. Have a great night everyone

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Adaniel, welcome dearie, hop on in and join the fun! :bigsmile: Let us know your name if you want. I'm Joanie, but I go by "jb" in rememberance of my dad who always called me that when I was a kid :wink:

Sylvia! :heart: Great pic.

This morning I processed and froze 10 single serving packages of spinach & water puree that I'll use in "neon" green smoothies this summer. I did 10 bags a few weeks ago, so I'll have plenty. Also gave huge bag of fresh spinach to the neighbor gal. Then, instead of making spinach quiche, which I'll do in the morning, I made cream of aparagus soup with asparagus from the garden. That was a first for me, and I must say it is a keeper recipe! I sauteed the asparagus with onion & celery, added chicken broth, simmered, then added a bit of roux made with a tablespoon each of butter & flour, and some milk. I added the saved asparagus tips at the end and let the soup simmer slowly just until they were tender. Verrrrrrry good.

Ok gotta scoot. Happiness is as happiness does :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb in cloudy, showery, cooler Portland - c'mon sun, we got gardens to grow!! :glasses:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, for your kind comments about my pictures. I can't quite get over the fact that my collarbones are showing up in pictures now. I haven't had collarbones since before 1980.

Gloria, I got my fitbit at Kohls and the did not allow me to use my 30% off coupon from the mailer! saying it was an exempt item. It does say in the fine print that it can't be used on "select electronics" or something like that. They did however give me $20 in Kohls Cash and a $10 rebate form. So, it ended up about 30% anyway. I've already used the Kohls Cash on a new suitcase for our trip to Portland, and they did let me use my 30% on that. I just looked at the rebate certificate and it says the item has to be purchased before 6/15/14, so if you're going to get one, you'd better hurry. They are on a freestanding rack near the jewelry counter. It's locked, so you have to get a clerk with a key.

Katla, the weight listed on that drivers license was a flat out lie! It says 220 and I'm sure I was closer to 280, but the lady at the counter said it was ok. She said, "well, I'm not going to make you get on a scale of anything." She was heavy too, so she understood.

I have a Kitchenaid shield too, and used it once. It's more trouble than it's worth, at least for me. And it's one more thing to wash.

Goodnight everyone!

Sylvia
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Yanniejannie -- "grease spot" is a PA saying I think. I grew up in Pittsburgh!

Sylvia -- you are a continual inspiration for me! Great pic!

jb -- thanks for the photo of Mariah ... like others, it's nice to put a face to the prayer ... and good idea to remember her sister!

Today was day 5 without headache for my son and then he developed a mid-range headache this afternoon ... arguing with his Dad seems to have brought it on ... since he and his Dad have since reconciled, hoping it will leave him soon.

Sat at a baseball game in the rain this afternoon ... forgot our umbrellas so we got pretty drenched. The temperatures have dropped and I'm drooping, so I'll head in early tonight.

Alison --- I seem to be in the same boat as you with the eating lately! Need to stop the mindless eating. I tracked and logged everything for the day and then just totally ignored it. Not too happy about that...

Have a good evening.
    Beth
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kim, I have had that bucket list for a long, long time. I honestly can say I have never done any of it and I doubt I will unless Charlie makes me a widow and I am able to do some of the things that I want to do.

Katla, I imagine that Charlie does have some kind of sleep apnea but he refuses to do any kind of sleep testing. I do know that he is doing things now that he always said he would not, like take medicine, agreeing to do open heart surgery, etc. There is hope for him!!!

Snagtop, I was always wondering how people use their iPad here and I finally asked. They don't use the MFP app, they have to go to their internet access such as Chrome and type in MFP and get on the message boards that way. It works!!!!

Sylvia, your picture is awesome!!! Your chin, cheeks, everything. And especially the expression on your face.

I have been tracking on face book all the girls in my family and their wight loss. I have a couple of nieces, Charlie's brother's girls because they have felt so left out of the family life for so many years. My MIL's death brought us all back together again. Anyway, as of this week we are now over 100 pounds. My oldest daughter is the only one who is currently losing anything. I lose a pound about every 6 weeks or so but Christina has now lost 26 pounds! She is following the Daniel plan to a certain extent. She doesn't have the money to follow it completely but has tried to be much more natural. I have tried for years to get her to lose some weight but just like me, it had to be my own decision. Her back problems and how it was affecting her mobility and ability to keep up with her family finally gave her the urge. It is different for each one of us.

Joyce, Indiana
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I went outside to look for the honey moon, but all I have is clouds with lightening, can anyone see it? This really intrigues me!!!

Sylvia............I can finally see both pics (only one was showing before, don't know why..............WOW,WOW,WOW..............you literally look like a different person, amazing change! Congratulations, your perseverance has really paid off big time! You look great.

Last pie in the oven; I'm off to bed after I get it out, a little reading, then, hopefully, sleep.
    G'nite all,

yanniejannie.............missing the honey moon
  • sherryhall5076
    sherryhall5076 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!!! Welcome to all the newcomers glad you are here.

I also have a kitchenaid. mixer and I use the shield on occasion. I do like it if I'm doing a lot of messy work or have to have the mixer on high.

Thanks everybody who commented about the clothes. I think I will start taking my too big stuff to the Goodwill.

I walked to work today and I love when I can do that. Cause that means I get a 25-30 min workout twice in one day.

You all have a nice evening, I'm going to try to finish reading some more of the posts.

Sherry
    Indiana
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump

Deb A in CNY
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I just happened to stumble upon this group and said to my self, " why Carol, you fit in here, since you are uhm ugh..er..in your 50's....read posts and yep....I do...gardening, walking on paths by the railway, shopping, all the things that sounds like me..."

A quickly little ditty about me:

I am married 16 years to my loving totaly understand and supportive husband, ****.

Our child is a 4 legged furbaby, 13 year old pom/shetz, Skipper, the sunshine of our lives.

We garden together, R.V. in our 5th wheel whenever we can, our favorate places are the coastal state parks here in Washington state....We are employeed full time and are still awaiting summer to come here in Monroe.

I have been on M.F.P. for 18 days and have lost 14 lbs. I was introduced to the app when I asked a coworker how she was taking off all of her weight....my bigest enemy of weight gain was indulging in my er...more than one glass of Chardonnay at night and literally plopping in the recliner with no activity at all. After visiting my Doctor for a checkup and weighing in at my all time high at 237, I nearly died seeing that number and knew f8r sure I was out of control.

That day I made my mind up to dump the wine, and begin a new way of living , a lifestyle change.

So here I am, looking for friends and fellowship with you all s haring a common cause, healthy living. Wanting to LIVE !!!
    I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND !!!!

Carol

p.ease. feel free to friend me and I hope I can any of you for support and encouragement!!!

Ur
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,933 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sylvia, congrats on reaching 10,000 steps….how cool that your fitbit celebrates with you….what an awesome contrast between your pictures

:flowerforyou: Cynthia, if you are biking then don’t worry about walking…I don’t like bikes at all except for my exercised bike in front of the TV but I love to walk.

:flowerforyou: Barbara in Georgia, there is no “normal” in weight loss……what worked for me was to make a plan for eating and exercising and stick to the plan and not let the scale influence me in either a positive or negative way…..just keep on keeping on

:flowerforyou: Jb, focusing on the positive is a good way to dig out of the sadness and stress…..i write a short gratitude list every morning to help me focus on what is right in my life.

:flowerforyou: Carol in NC, the older I get the less I like having people stay at my house.

:flowerforyou: I love Fridays because I teach line dance in the morning and we always have fun.:bigsmile: the sky is overcast so there will be no sighting of the full moon no matter what color or personality it has.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol: Welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Greetings from beautiful Omaha! It was 74 and low humidity today and I took advantage of that and walked for an hour. Went to hyvee for their meat sale; I ended up with 68 cents off per gallon of gas…woo hoo! Worked on the book and got edits done for my last chapter. DH is shampooing carpet. It’s amazing we have top of the line stainmaster carpet and nothing comes out of it! And of course it’s “champaign” so everything shows.

Tomorrow is the start of the college world series and wouldn’t you know it, we are in a severe weather alert with the potential for more baseball sized hail. How appropriate…baseball sized hail at the baseball game. We are having company tomorrow for dinner and cards and then of course father’s day DD#1 and the BF supposedly are coming over. So we’ll see how that goes.

47Jacqueline: I seem to get headaches fairly frequently and they tend to be bad, but go away pretty easily. I get migraines occasionally so that’s not much of a problem. Keep plugging away on your fitness book! I really enjoy my aqua zumba class. Don’t care so much for “land” zumba…too crowded and people do not tend to be friendly if you get in their space….you know the spot on the gym floor with their name carved into it LOL

Jane: that must have been quite a scare! Glad it all turned out

Sylvia: well be sure to have a cell phone with you on those walks! I’d hate for you to pass out and be left on the sidewalk somewhere! Cute joke! How do you get your fitbit to carry on like that? Mine doesn’t but it does send me smooches

BJ: are you planning a sabbatical?

Alison: I got pooped reading your post! Rest up girlfriend!

Joyce: hooray for a good night’s sleep! I used to love to golf but haven’t in three years since my last gastroc tear.

Gmom: I forgot where you are going on your vacation?

Yanniejannie: wow that’s’ a lot of steps! I’m happy today I have nearly 8,000. We have a nesting pair of downy woodpeckers ( the smaller ones) but to see a pileated one would be wonderful. For some reason we have TONS of doves.

DeeDee: yes please bring smelly cheese. I also have jalapeno-cream cheese stuffed mushrooms to go with the steaks, so bring your appetite. I splurged and bought a Mrs. Smith’s peach pie for dessert! I can have a half a slice without going over my carbs too much. Oh, wait…Saturday is hamburgers and ice cream sundaes. Either one. I have tons of food! Stay safe in those storms!

Barbie: well that does sound like all the food groups except for beer!

Michele: our gas credits expire on a rolling basis every 30 days. So if you get something on the first and the tenth, the first of next month that first credit falls off if you don’t use it. I have three rose of sharons and do nothing for them and they are gorgeous.

Kim: for $5 US you should get gold plated rhubarb!

Cynthia: your “narrow” comment reminded me that when my parents lived in Arkansas, they had a gardener, a real Arkansas country boy. One day he told my dad “Excuse me sir (the guy was way older than my dad)…but you aren’t kindly as narrow as you used to be!” I always have found that funny

Heather: I think you should send me some authentic scones and clotted cream so I can try them!

Cheryl: I think most doctors are woefully ignorant about drugs. They usually prescribe what the drug rep who brings the best donuts is selling. But to not know about ibuprofen? That’s ridiculous!

Tere: I’m going to look up s** in the exercise section and see what it gets you!

Barbara: welcome to our group. Gail lives near Atlanta, I think

Jb: do you freeze any of your produce? If so what is the secret? I have tried everything including blanching things and they are still mushy. I am a horrible canner.

Carol: wow that was quite a recommendation! I agree about the pastoral counseling. DH has a cousin who is an alcoholic and went to her minister who was the “leave it to God” kind and she nearly drank herself to death.

Katla: glad you hear you are getting that needed rain! The biggest challenge with DD#1 is her cognitive problems. They are undiagnosed due to her language barrier ( and now I can’t make her be tested) and so they are untreated. I ran in circles weekly when she was in jr and sr high school trying to get her help to no avail.

Snagtop, Christine, Adainie: welcome to our group

Suzy: macaroni and pretzel salad? Now that sounds interesting!

Sylvia: WOW look at those pictures! You look amazing in the new one! Thanks for sharing!

Cindy: oh my do I love Italian and Mexican. Both dangerous for me because of the calories and the carbs!

Eileen: oh my the basement flood of yours is worse than both of mine! Sending you hugs

Sandy: fingers crossed for weigh in day!

Beth: 5 days without a headache and then not a too-bad one sounds pretty good to me! I hope DS continues to do well

Carol: welcome to our group. I have three hibiscus that look just like your picture!

Well I’m about to head to bed. Going to try to convince myself to go to the deep water class tomorrow, but omg I do love my sleep! Take care all, Meg from Omaha where the skies are clear….for now
  • mhcabc
    mhcabc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Love this community of warmth and wanted to join.

I lost my long term partner to a heart attack in 2011 and just sat around drinking and eating and sleeping for 2.5 years--and woke up heavier than I've ever been. Started working out and found out I had no core at all (used to jump horses over 4 foot jumps, so quite a wake up call). Have bunches of animals--three dogs, two cats, three birds (an African gray I received for my 19th birthday included), and a retired (and boarded) horse.

Look forward to your inspirational posts.

All the best--and really impressed.

Margaret
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends.
    I’m writing this sitting in bed with ice packs on my back and thigh. Had a fall two days ago tripping on the curb as I walked back from the gym. Both thumbs swelled up, and although they have responded to steady doses of ice and arnica, still painful. Have them in soft wrist supports to keep immobilized. Today is the first day I can type, albeit sloooowly.

Two weeks of virtually no wheat, and happy to report the plateau is broken! Down a pound. Whodathunkit? So for now, will keep testing this regime. For those who are new (welcome!), I read the book ‘Wheat Belly’ and was struck with how what used to be a wholesome grain has been engineered into a ‘frankenfood’ which the author believes is the core cause of every malady known to society. I’m cynical to much of it, but given that I had managed to stay within MFP calorie ranges for months, I had to give a wheat-free regime a try.

Got to see the full 'honey' moon last night at Red Rocks Ampitheatre. I got DH tix to Brit Floyd for his 70th bday last week. It was amazing music and a surreal setting to view the giant amber moon.

Tonight DH has the hockey game on. Is there a more chaotic looking sport?

Beth: Soooo happy to hear that your son is responding well to the home cooked food. I, too recently became a ‘scratch cooker’. Heather pointed me in the direction of Skinnytaste.com, and others here were very inspirational as I learned to cook for real. Proud of you!

Vicki: I fell in love with the Black Hills, and can’t wait to get back there. Have a great trip. Glad your scale has been found.

Sylvia: I LOVE the idea of a cruise with a bunch of MPFers. Say when! The almonds joke was hilarious!!!

Eileen: Oh so sorry about your plumbing issues. Your attitude is admirable.

Carol: I never get tired hearing about home improvements. Our little place is a constant work in progress. Best of luck.

Barbie: Don’t you just love the results of powerwashing. I’d love to get our own little hose for quick blasts of the concrete deck and sidings.

Meg: Good for you for walking and doing weights when you’re feeling less than great. Gas rewards galore for you.

Nanboot: Bravo for increasing your water intake. Keep coming back to this thread for more ideas and inspiration for your healthy lifestyle.

Michelle: I hope someday you get that lavender room you’ve always wanted. For now, is it feasible to get a lavender accent wall? Or curtains? I find it is such a soothing color for a bedroom.

Cynthia: Purge the oversized clothes. Make room for the fabulous new, better fitting outfits that will no doubt circulate into your closet as soon as room is made for them. Kudos to you for walking.

Heather: I love, love, love rhubarb, so if you don’t mind sharing your recipe for the dish you make with orange and Cointreau….also, cauliflower cake? Oh my…my mouth is watering. Every time you ask for visitors, I’m so tempted to cash in my United miles.

Grandmallie: Wishing you a fun vacation. Like you, I’m a list-maker. Unlike you, I’d be at a total loss for how to feed so many people, especially teen girls.

Pattie in Cincinnati: Self-awareness is the key. A pat on the back to you for your new resolve and recommitment. With you in spirit and friendship. Hang tough.

Gail: Glad your boss is better. I’m jealous of anyone who gets a new assistant.

Kathy in NJ: I love your goal of planning vacation. I’m notorious for not taking all the paid days off I’m entitled to, and you’re right…it’s important! Thanks.

JB: Mariah’s pictures are so heart-warming. Thank you for sharing and please add my voice to the prayerful chorus wishing her a full and speedy recovery.

Gloria: Yes, you gotta believe! Stay positive. You will unlock the perfect alchemy of diet and exercise to achieve your goals.

Suzy: Hoping the doctor sheds some light on the issues that are keeping you from losing weight. Meanwhile, rejoice in the fact that your stress levels are moderate! Life is good, and even if your efforts don’t show on the scales, I’ll bet there are other ways your health has improved.

Anamika: Great to see you! Best wishes for your new job. How lucky those students are to have you as a teacher, mentor and role model.

Jane: congrats on the news of a new gbaby.

DeeDee: Yikes! Glad you made it home safely in a bad storm. Our storms have been studded with hail-- yeech. Stay safe.

Barbie: A four minute plank – WOW!

So much more I'd like to comment on but I have to stop here for now. Hands cant handle any more keyboarding tonight.:noway:

Stay well,

Rori in the Colorado Foothills

June Goals and Progress to Date
    Strength training 90 minutes per week.> not this week
    Try out an aquatics class and check out Masters swim. > not yet
    Three times a week, consume fewer than 50 carbs. Less wheat the better.> B+
    Pick up the phone and call a friend or relative 1x per week just to check in. > B-
    On a daily basis, list 5 things I’m grateful for. > C+
    My word for 2014 = Release
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Sylvia...I want to hug you. And then hug you again. I am so impressed with what you have accomplished.

After not having chewed gum for a long time, I bought some today, and I nearly gagged. What is IN that stuff. I spat it out after the first taste and then reading the ingredients. Read like a chemical cocktail worthy of death. Bleh.

No news in the grand baby front yet. In other news, I am sick and tired of coughing my brains out, especially tired. Unfortunately, I've had no time to catch up on all the posts (except for Sylvia's). Maybe this weekend will be better.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    On the subject of pastors and their inadequecy of handling counseling. My brother was a Southern Baptist minister, just like my Dad, that grew very weary of it after several churches he pastored had a lot of controversy. One was when a rumor started in the church that my dear SIL was having an affair with a member. Ludicrous. Anyway, after a short rest and a lot of prayer he took a course and internship in hospital chaplaincy. He served in a hospital for awhile and now is a chaplain at a hospice. He has been there for about 15 years. You would think that a chaplain would have the right to bring up a persons relationship with God or a higher power with the patients. But they can't. They visit, chat, hold hands, be a friend to the client and family. If they ask for prayer or for spiritual guidance then my brother is allowed to proceed talking to them about that. He now loves his job and has made some wonderful friends on the rest of the hospice team and families that he would not have had the opportunity to if he had not had that crisis of faith in his pastoral ministry. I guess God knows what He is doing sometimes!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks JB and prayers for Mariah.
    Katla, you didn't have to wait long.
    Michelle, I may have been gone but you sure haven't. I definitely need a new doctor. They are hard to find though.
    Momsamodel - definitely a sales guy. Always trying to have me use his barely english speaking physical therapist and his nutritionist, etc.

Although happy to be in the 170's this morning, it was downhill from there. I got really down about how little appreciation and respect I get at work. So I did what I do to heal my soul. Pictures below.

MFBVP201403_zps2ce3a1dd.jpg

MFBVP201411_zpsc7f1e95a.jpg
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Michele: “challenges”: sounds like a secret project. :glasses:
    Sylvia: lovely photos! You look great.
    Gloria: Zumba: I’ve always wanted do do some kind of African dance. Zumba would be fun, too. I didn’t do it earlier because I had back trouble; now I have knee trouble. Maybe after my knee replacement….
    Barbie: thanks, yes, luckily I like biking, but I’d also like to just be able to take a normal walk like normal people. Still having to be patient about that.
    Eileen: so sorry about your flooding.
    Joyce: how cool, 100 pounds group loss!
    Meg hear you on the carpet. Mine’s probably something like “champagne” too. Not a great choice when animals upchuck and stuff like that. AND: I will never, ever buy a wool carpet again. It holds onto stains for dear life.
    Rori: ouch!

Yesterday I asked one of the trainers at the gym about my form on one lift, and he suggested going lower on weight and doing more reps. If it had been about form I would have listened, but his reason was: why do you want to lift so much? My answer was: because I can! He said, “you don’t want to get huge arms, do you?” I just went on with what I was doing. He’s very nice and knows a lot about nutrition, but I don’t think I’ll be asking him a lot of questions about exercise.

Being better than your partner at something: I don’t see what’s wrong with it. I’d be happy and my guy would be happy for me. Why not? (Though I could understand if an illness was an issue; I’d definitely pipe down then.) I may have missed part of the discussion though. Just my opinion.

Finally got a good night’s sleep. I’ve been so tired the last couple of weeks. I also dream a lot. Wonder whether that has anything to do with the beta blocker. So many questions for Tuesday!

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,239 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Anamika - sorry I missed your birthday!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: The new school sounds challenging, but very interesting and worthwhile. There is a big debate over here as to what constitutes "English" literature. The traditionalists want to confine it to a true British canon, i.e. no American literature.

Yanniejannie - your hydrangea sounds beautiful. Mine has wilted and collapsed with the ants nest. :sad:

Katla - your granddaughter is gorgeous! How lucky we are, even if we don't see them as often as we'd like. My son and family are today flying off to Portugal with the other grandparents and some in laws who are Portuguese. Jealous? Me? :sad: :sad: :cry:

Sylvia - you have lost ten years, let alone the weight!:flowerforyou: I'm with you on the collar bones - aren't they great! :drinker:

Eileen - what an awful business. Our home should be a place of safety and rest, not a constant worry and stress. Hugs!:flowerforyou:

Sandy - you are doing so well, especially with the boxing.:flowerforyou: Are you finding it is doing something for you psychologically? Perhaps confidence or assertiveness? I'm just musing, but it must be quite empowering.:happy:

Michele - would you believe I don't have any stand mixer. I have a Dualit hand one which I love and a processor and a blender, but no big stand one. I sometimes think about getting one and always decide against it as what I have works perfectly well.

Wessecq - how happy you look on your horse! Sorry about the unappreciative work people. We all love to be appreciated, don't we.:wink: I know I do.

Father's Day will go uncelebrsted in our house. When I said to DH that some men get their wives something for Mother's Day he just said, "You are not my mother". Right.:ohwell: So nothing for him then. :laugh: My father wouldn't let us celebrate it as he said it was just a commercial operation. So no Father's Day in THIS house.:laugh:

Rori - I didn't have a recipe, just baked chunks of rhubarb in the oven with orange juice, Cointreau and golden syrup and brown sugar. When it came out I added a bit more Cointreau!:blushing: My innovation was to crystallise the peel in sugar syrup and use the left over juice to add to the flavour and make a pretty decorstion. But this is for guests so more sugar than I would use for myself when I would use more stevia. It's still much less fattening than a pastry or creamy thing.:bigsmile:
    The cauliflower cake is an Ottolenghi recipe. Do you know him? Israeli chef who is very popular over here. It is delicious but is very calorific with masses of cheese and oil, 10 eggs. I added up the cals and made it 3, 200 cslories, but I had a tenth of it, so 320 cslories, which with salad is a doable lunch. He says 4 - 6 portions! ! ! !:noway: It's probably on line somewhere, but is quite a bit of work. The good thing is we had it for dinner yesterday and today's lunch and it will be the starter on Friday for four as it freezes, so in the end it is well worth it. I think I still prefer the Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie from skinnytaste.com. which is lower in calories and delicious, but I haven't tried freezing that. Savoury cakes seem to be my current favourite thing. :bigsmile:

Saturday is newspaper day so I will be reading all the various sections. I love the media guide so I can plan my weeks viewing and see what new films have been released so I can order my foreign films from Lovefilm. :bigsmile: I keep a notebook beside me so I can write down any serious new books that have come out that I fancy and then I get the children to buy them for Christmas!:laugh:

On the train on Wednesday I broached the subject of our February holiday to come. We didn't have one this year as DH'S anxiety was too great. Normally we go somewhere exotic. So I'm gently, gently working on it for next year. He hasn't freaked out yet! I fancy Sri Lanka or Colombia. We have friends in Bogota so it would be nice to include seeing them on our travels. If he doesn't want to go, ( we've got yo get to NYC first in September/October) then I will book myself a cruise to the Arctic Circle in the summer, which is on my bucket list. It is, of course, very, very expensive to go alone, but DH doesn't like boats or the idea of a cruise. I AM WORTH IT, :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:

Love from Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK