Bump for great info
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    In to read later.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I want to start lifting but I'm nervous and intimidated by it... My husband strength trains but he does the isolation method (he's already pretty muscular) so he's no help with the 5x5. Also I feel weird being in that section of the gym where everyone else is already super buff... guess I just need to get over that and dive in!
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Bump - just downloaded the Stronglifts 5x5 app. . . nervous and excited to give it a go.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Yesterday, once again I "interviewed" a potential trainer. I told her I want to get good form advice for SL5x5, the next thing I know, she is telling me that I will get better results doing 4x20 at lower weights w/ 2-3 day splits and all that mumbo jumbo. At this point I don't want a complicated program (who knows, that may change in the future). Right now I just want to know that I am using the correct form for back squats, rows, OHP, bench press and deadlift. I have yet to find a trainer who is willing to watch my workout and tell me what I'm doing right and correct the things I might be doing wrong.

I will be studying the links provided and get this right! Thanks again.:flowerforyou:

Admittedly my bias, but if you are doing 3 different compound lifts every other day, there really is not a lot of training input required, some form guide. However the PTs can offer more advice whilst doing loads of different isolation exercises which use machines which actually require very little inpu,t but you feel busy and therefore feel you are getting value from their guidance. If you listen to Rippetoe the isolation exercises are also pretty pointless, unless you need them for another purpose (bodybuilding). YMMV
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • cuboids
    cuboids Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later reference
  • lovelyloola
    lovelyloola Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • CaraLanglois
    CaraLanglois Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great information - thank you!
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jojo28012
    jojo28012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How do you know how much to lift for each exercise?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Learn the technique first.
    Typically this means start with the bar. (which is 45 pounds)

if this is to heavy- use dumb bells- or a PVC pipe- or a broom.

After that it boils down to this.
    "it depends on your program and your goals"
    but first step is If you can't lift it- it's too heavy.
    If you can only lift it 1-2 times- and or you are losing your posture/form- it's too heavy.

You're first working weights are **usually* something that can be lifted uncomfortably for 5-10 reps. Meaning you can do it- but after about 4/5 it's starting to feel heavy and you're breathing with some force.
  • DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Yanks1996
    Yanks1996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    To read later
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump