Milk Vs. Water

Options
If I drink milk throughout the day instead of water, is this unhealthy? Milk has protein in it, which is why I enjoy drinking it. But athletes drink lots of water, and someone told me that you need lots of water in your body to absorb all that protein you consume. Also, are bodies are like 70% water or something.

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    If I drink milk throughout the day instead of water, is this unhealthy? Milk has protein in it, which is why I enjoy drinking it. But athletes drink lots of water, and someone told me that you need lots of water in your body to absorb all that protein you consume. Also, are bodies are like 70% water or something.

There is nothing wrong with drinking milk as it contains water - it really depends of what your goals are.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Well, milk is mostly water, so it'll hydrate you just fine. It's just keeping in mind the nutrients and extra calories and such that would come from drinking just milk. Like the other commenter said, it depends on what your goals are.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Well, milk is mostly water, so it'll hydrate you just fine. It's just keeping in mind the nutrients and extra calories and such that would come from drinking just milk. Like the other commenter said, it depends on what your goals are.

Agree.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Well I'm trying to bulk (only 146 lbs at the moment).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    From your profile....
    Been a skinny guy my entire life.
    Always had problems with not eating enough.
    Decided it's time to change

Seems like a good way to meet your goals.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Then milk is an excellent way to hydrate and get some extra protein and calories in.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Please see here:

http://www.jcdfitness.com/2010/04/gomad-gallon-of-milk-per-day-is-it-for-everyone/
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    GOMAD!
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Personally try to avoid milk as often as I can. It's unnatural for us to drink the milk of another animal, but as long as you aren't lactose intolerant it really shouldn't be a problem. Moderation is key. I drink almond milk. Skim milk only on cheat days. There are many other "wheys" to get your protein (see what I did there).
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Personally try to avoid milk as often as I can. It's unnatural for us to drink the milk of another animal, but as long as you aren't lactose intolerant it really shouldn't be a problem. Moderation is key. I drink almond milk. Skim milk only on cheat days. There are many other "wheys" to get your protein (see what I did there).

Lol at unnatural. Lots of other animals drink the milk of different animals if they can get it.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    I would say yes add it if you feel like it but don't neglect water or replace water with milk. WATER IS WATER and your body needs water.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I prefer soymilk........... you should try that instead because it is fortified to contain more protein....which is good for bulking. The silk brand is my favorite.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

It's unnatural for you to be wearing clothes either but you don't seem to have an issue with that.

"It isn't natural", when will you people learn that's the absolute worst argument out there.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I would say yes add it if you feel like it but don't neglect water or replace water with milk. WATER IS WATER and your body needs water.

Lol no.

The body is smart enough to get the water it needs from the milk. Otherwise you'd have to drink water on its own away from anything else, otherwise once it mixed in your stomach it would no longer be water!
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Milk is meant for baby cows.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Your body gets water through anything that contains... wait for it... water. You could eat nothing but hydrating foods, never drink a drop of water and be absolutely healthy.

Your body does not differentiate between the water from a piece of fruit, a soda, a glass of milk or a glass of water. It still has the chemical make up of H2O and the body still processes it and uses it in the same manner.

Drink water if you're not getting enough hydration through other methods, don't drink water just because you can see through it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Tell that to all the milk fed babies in the world.

OP wants to bulk - if it fits into his macros drink the milk - the daily water recommendation is for people to stay hydrated, milk, juice, tea etc can also count towards the fluid intakes. Enjoy your milk and stay hydrated.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You should be fine with drinking milk. I'm jealous of all your milk drinking. Milk does evil things to me, though. :sad: You don't need to specifically drink water to get the daily hydration your body needs. Bodies are awesome and can extract needed fluids from what we drink and what we eat.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Milk is meant for baby cows.

and lattes. and bread.
    and figs. and yogurt.

What I wonder is, did the OP never take a biology class?
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options

Your body gets water through anything that contains... wait for it... water. You could eat nothing but hydrating foods, never drink a drop of water and be absolutely healthy.

Your body does not differentiate between the water from a piece of fruit, a soda, a glass of milk or a glass of water. It still has the chemical make up of H2O and the body still processes it and uses it in the same manner.

Drink water if you're not getting enough hydration through other methods, don't drink water just because you can see through it.

You have been misinformed.