Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    In for naturalistic fallacy and fear-mongering.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say to the OP that I enjoyed his post and subsequent responses. I am an Electrical Engineer so I am woefully ignorant in this field of study and appreciated someone taking the time to try and teach the uneducated masses, specifically me :happy:

With that said my wife has stated she gets headaches after eating artificial sweeteners so she avoids it. I know a lot of the ingredients she is avoiding are found in tons of other foods/drinks she consumes so... I don't know. As a Migraine sufferer myself (since I was a child) I do know food triggers headaches differently in different people.

I would ultimately agree; however, with the OP that you can't state a particular substance is toxic or a carcinogen (sp?) based simply off of your anecdotal evidence. Doesn't mean you shouldn't avoid it if it affects you.
  • nufertiri
    nufertiri Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump (for a good night read)
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    With that said my wife has stated she gets headaches after eating artificial sweeteners so she avoids it. I know a lot of the ingredients she is avoiding are found in tons of other foods/drinks she consumes so... I don't know. As a Migraine sufferer myself (since I was a child) I do know food triggers headaches differently in different people.

I used to get headaches when I used Splenda in my tea every day. I switched to truvia & haven't had any problems with it. I will still use Splenda occasionally, and it doesn't bother me if it's just every once in awhile. I know now not to O.D. on it.

I'm glad to see this actual scientific information regarding aspartame from an educated source. Good to know that it isn't necessarily dangerous, it just affects people differently.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1. Since you are not an "expert", what you "think" isn't really relevant.

From "What is epigenetics?" The field of epigenetics is quickly growing and with it the understanding that BOTH THE ENVIRONMENT AND INDIVIDUAL LIFESTYLE CAN ALSO DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH THE GENOME TO INFLUENCE EPIGENETIC CHANGE. These changes may be reflected at various stages throughout a person’s life AND EVEN IN LATER GENERATIONS. For example, human epidemiological studies have provided evidence that prenatal and early postnatal environmental factors influence the adult risk of developing various chronic diseases and behavioral disorders.[1] Studies have shown that children born during the period of the Dutch famine from 1944-1945 have increased rates of coronary heart disease and obesity after maternal exposure to famine during early pregnancy compared to those not exposed to famine.

2. "...Aspartame is an ARTIFICIAL, non-saccharide sweetener used as a sugar substitute in some foods and beverages... Aspartame is a methyl ester of the aspartic acid/phenylalanine dipeptide. It was first sold under the brand name NutraSweet; It was first SYNTHESIZED in 1965 and the PATENT expired in 1992..."

Natural substances are not termed "artificial" nor are they patentable.

So are you an expert in epigenetics? If we can't take the other poster's opinions into account since they admit they are not, then obviously you are credentialed in this area, or we are free to ignore what you think too, right?

But I think what you are doing here is fear mongering based on two things that may or not be related. You are conflating the fact that epigenetics (hereditary changes without alterations in genome sequence) is real with the fact that aspartame is a "synthetic" chemical to jump to the conclusion that therefore aspartame is going to cause changes somewhere down the line.

What you don't have is any specific data to say this will happen, any specific hypothesis on why it might happen, any proposed mechanism on how it might happen.

Essentially, what it looks to me like you are doing, is taking two unrelated facts, and smushing them together and claiming the sky is about to fall. Maybe if you threw the word "quantum" in there, it would make it even scarier???
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    This is getting quite comical. I'm leaving...no wait, I'm back...no, I'm leaving again. I, for one am just going to continue to lurk and be amused.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

From "What is epigenetics?" The field of epigenetics is quickly growing and with it the understanding that BOTH THE ENVIRONMENT AND INDIVIDUAL LIFESTYLE CAN ALSO DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH THE GENOME TO INFLUENCE EPIGENETIC CHANGE. These changes may be reflected at various stages throughout a person’s life AND EVEN IN LATER GENERATIONS. For example, human epidemiological studies have provided evidence that prenatal and early postnatal environmental factors influence the adult risk of developing various chronic diseases and behavioral disorders.[1] Studies have shown that children born during the period of the Dutch famine from 1944-1945 have increased rates of coronary heart disease and obesity after maternal exposure to famine during early pregnancy compared to those not exposed to famine.

2. "...Aspartame is an ARTIFICIAL, non-saccharide sweetener used as a sugar substitute in some foods and beverages... Aspartame is a methyl ester of the aspartic acid/phenylalanine dipeptide. It was first sold under the brand name NutraSweet; It was first SYNTHESIZED in 1965 and the PATENT expired in 1992..."

So are you an expert in epigenetics? If we can't take the other poster's opinions into account since they admit they are not, then obviously you are credentialed in this area, or we are free to ignore what you think too, right?

But I think what you are doing here is fear mongering based on two things that may or not be related. You are conflating the fact that epigenetics (hereditary changes without alterations in genome sequence) is real with the fact that aspartame is a "synthetic" chemical to jump to the conclusion that therefore aspartame is going to cause changes somewhere down the line.

What you don't have is any specific data to say this will happen, any specific hypothesis on why it might happen, any proposed mechanism on how it might happen.

Essentially, what it looks to me like you are doing, is taking two unrelated facts, and smushing them together and claiming the sky is about to fall. Maybe if you threw the word "quantum" in there, it would make it even scarier???

Didn't you read? No non-expert opinions allowed! You must have at least a PhD to play...
  • guylombardo
    guylombardo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To the original post from Aaron. Have to say that's the greatest post I've ever seen on any message board regarding any topic. Nice work!
  • richardheath
    Options

Didn't you read? No non-expert opinions allowed! You must have at least a PhD to play...

Well, I do, so I can... :wink:
  • lovinshells
    lovinshells Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will say I have not read every single reply, but I do love the way this has been explained. My great grandmother will be 107 on August 6 and she has put Equal in her coffee every day for as long as I can remember. That in itself has been proof enough for me.
  • notsochunkeymonkey
    Options
    Can't use the stuff, it triggers terrible mind fugue and migraines for me.
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I limit my intake of foods containing aspartame due the side effects it causes me.
    Aspartame has a negative effect on my sleep, causing me severe insomnia, and also give me headaches.

Now that I am TTC, I will further limit food additives, especially any that are controversial.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Are there people who may be negatively affected by aspartame? Sure, they may have allergic reactions (it's a protein after all.) People are also negatively affected by strawberries, peanuts, shellfish, eggs, and milk, but that doesn't make any of those foods bad for the rest of the population.

Exactly!

For every product on the market, someone some place will have a negative reaction. This doesn't mean the product is bad. I can't take aspirin because of stomach sensitivity but I won’t run around screaming the sky is falling. It simply means I can’t take freaking aspirin.

There is a broader question at hand. And that is, do we really want to do an experiment where we unnecessarily expose the populace to a host of synthetic chemicals that have only been part of the physical milieu for less than a dozen decades? (As just one "minor" illustration, even aspirin, in high doses, is linked to cerebral hemorrhage and other bleeding disorders.) There is no assurance that any of these chemicals are safe in the longer term--and NO ONE has any idea whether the COMBINATION of these synthetic chemicals is safe. As a further concern, epigenetics tells us that we may not only be endangering ourselves but future generations as well. Should we not question the unnecessary exposure to synthetic chemicals? Aspartame may or may not be "scary" but is it really necessary?

1. I'm not an expert on epigenetics, but from what I understand of it I don't think that's really how that works.

2. Most of these chemicals, including aspartame, are made up of components that we encounter all the time. There is zero reason to think that somehow because the chemicals were put together in a lab setting instead of synthesized in a plant that our bodies will somehow respond to them differently.

3. This thread is going to roll on the next post. I will not be commenting again because I just want this damn thing off my recent topics list.

You do realize the only thing that makes it artificial is the fact that they took the two amino acids and put them together, right? The amino acids themselves are natural, as they are created by bacteria. And plenty of natural substances are patented. Do you really think all these various cultivars of apples aren't patented by their creators? They are. Please stop talking if you don't know what you are actually talking about.

The fact that they do not occur together in nature should give one pause for thought. And there is currently a lot of controversy over what should be patentable and what should not. I have no doubt that monied interests will make sure to patent whatever they can get away with patenting. But there are many ethical considerations.

From the Rand Corporation website: "In this essay, the authors discuss the issues surrounding patenting products of nature. The central legal problem is how to distinguish a natural substance, for example, naturally occurring DNA, from a patentable invention. The authors suggest that the gbssubstantial transformation test (STT) used in customs law might be able to make this distinction. If adopted by Congress or the judiciary, the STT would maintain the patent law's integrity while resolving many of the economic and ETHICAL POLICY concerns surrounding current patent practices, they note." (emphasis mine)

Brave New World--and there are many cheerleaders for it but it doesn't make their cause a worthy or safe one.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Why would not occurring in nature be a problem? This seems to be presented as true on face value and I do not see it. My lifestyle is full of clothing, medicine and foods that are artificial and the only thing really attacking me and making me sick right now is 100% natural tree pollen.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Keep eating all the poisons....fools.

MyFitnessPal Site-wide Community Guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
  • richardheath
    Options

Like Conium maculatum? Otherwise known as hemlock. Totally natural, so it must be good, right?
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I used to have an arsenic specimen too. It's got a beautiful crystalline structure and natural too.

Like Conium maculatum? Otherwise known as hemlock. Totally natural, so it must be good, right?
  • sylviedroz
    sylviedroz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    look i think it's not dangerous BUT some people can just be sensitive to it, have an allergic reaction, or just a bad reaction. Like how nuts are good for you and some are allergic to it and how cigarettes are bad and yet my grannie's 100 yrs old and was smoking since she was 16. The human body is an amazing complicated system and what science already knows about it just scraps the surface. Theres no point in getting to aggressive about this people.

I'm allergic to beef ffs.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Are there people who may be negatively affected by aspartame? Sure, they may have allergic reactions (it's a protein after all.) People are also negatively affected by strawberries, peanuts, shellfish, eggs, and milk, but that doesn't make any of those foods bad for the rest of the population.

Exactly!

For every product on the market, someone some place will have a negative reaction. This doesn't mean the product is bad. I can't take aspirin because of stomach sensitivity but I won’t run around screaming the sky is falling. It simply means I can’t take freaking aspirin.

There is a broader question at hand. And that is, do we really want to do an experiment where we unnecessarily expose the populace to a host of synthetic chemicals that have only been part of the physical milieu for less than a dozen decades? (As just one "minor" illustration, even aspirin, in high doses, is linked to cerebral hemorrhage and other bleeding disorders.) There is no assurance that any of these chemicals are safe in the longer term--and NO ONE has any idea whether the COMBINATION of these synthetic chemicals is safe. As a further concern, epigenetics tells us that we may not only be endangering ourselves but future generations as well. Should we not question the unnecessary exposure to synthetic chemicals? Aspartame may or may not be "scary" but is it really necessary?

1. I'm not an expert on epigenetics, but from what I understand of it I don't think that's really how that works.

2. Most of these chemicals, including aspartame, are made up of components that we encounter all the time. There is zero reason to think that somehow because the chemicals were put together in a lab setting instead of synthesized in a plant that our bodies will somehow respond to them differently.

3. This thread is going to roll on the next post. I will not be commenting again because I just want this damn thing off my recent topics list.

You do realize the only thing that makes it artificial is the fact that they took the two amino acids and put them together, right? The amino acids themselves are natural, as they are created by bacteria. And plenty of natural substances are patented. Do you really think all these various cultivars of apples aren't patented by their creators? They are. Please stop talking if you don't know what you are actually talking about.

The fact that they do not occur together in nature should give one pause for thought. And there is currently a lot of controversy over what should be patentable and what should not. I have no doubt that monied interests will make sure to patent whatever they can get away with patenting. But there are many ethical considerations.
    Does the fact that smoked salmon does not occur in nature indicate that we should also avoid it on those grounds? Does distilled, bottled water also give pause for thought?

If yes, why? If not, what makes them distinct from aspartame?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Exactly!

Does the fact that smoked salmon does not occur in nature indicate that we should also avoid it on those grounds? Does distilled, bottled water also give pause for thought?

If yes, why? If not, what makes them distinct from aspartame?

Frankly, I wouldn't eat a lot of anything smoked because I don't enjoy those foods enough to want to put up with the potential risk of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. I don't eat a lot of barbequed food either because of the potential risk of heterocyclic amines. And, drinking distilled water would give pause for thought because of the way it is packaged--in plastic bottles, which leach pthalates, BPA and lexan resin into the water. In addition, those bottles are bad for the environment. But I have no particular objection to drinking distilled water itself. Even though some would tell you that it is unhealthy because it is "de-mineralized", since we get the vast majority of our minerals from food, it really doesn't matter if we elected to drink distilled water (provided we did not buy it in plastic bottles).

It is about personal choice and I object strongly to the idea that it would be removed from me by a lack of labeling which the monied interests are apparently determined to avoid (and are willing to spend large sums of money to that end). I don't drink aspartame-sweetened drinks because I don't believe that the "benefit" outweighs the potential risk. Unfortunately, in these days when scientific opinion is often open for corporate hire, one never knows whether one can trust that opinion. And, even if you knew that there was no potential for corruption, science is often pretty clueless about many of the long-term consequences of chemical contaminants in food and drink. It is always wise to go for more caution rather than less. I am personally committed to moving in the direction of fewer chemical additives (even "natural" ones)--and that is a reasonable choice.