Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You're my hero. Do vaccinations and GMOs next!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You're my hero. Do vaccinations and GMOs next!

Oh doooon't get me started. I work at a non-profit infectious disease research institute that focuses on vaccine and drug development for the treatment of diseases of the developing world. I will flip my *kitten* with anti-vaccers. People who think aspartame is toxic I can at least get non-emotional with because I don't see it as actually leading to death. I mean if they avoid soda because of that no skin off my back really right, at worst I just feel they are being a bit silly.

Anti-GMO rubs me the wrong way for the same reason as the anti-vaccers, they blithely attack something that has become a pillar of our civilization because they don't understand it or think its scary somehow.

Also the aspartame thing has direct relevance to many of the posts I see on this forum. Vaccnines and GMOs are an issue for somewhere else I feel, would be out of place on a diet forum.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Great post! :drinker:

tagging to read the responses later.
  • Kiwi_Made
    Kiwi_Made Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's bad science to cherry-pick data. Few studies meet everyone's gold-standard. No study is perfect, and anyone can choose to invalidate any study at any time by pointing out its failings. Which leaves us with the question "which studies do you trust"? And Monsanto/Searle/NutraSweet has a lot of money to throw into a huge number of studies by different organizations to create an illusion of safety.

I know this-- my own appetite is better controlled when I'm not consuming aspartame vs. when I am. I don't have tendinitis flare-ups when I'm not consuming aspartame vs. when I am. My blood sugars are better when I'm not consuming aspartame vs. when I am (I have read studies that indicate that aspartame triggers a sugar release from the liver in some people).

So, will I consume aspartame? No. I get much better results using stevia to sweeten those few things that I consume which I want sweeter. I believe the science that is out there supports my personal observations in my own life, and the lives of others I am familiar with. I just trust the science more that shows aspartame to be bad for the body. Whether it's toxic or carcinogenic or mutagenic or whatever....
    Strong confirmation bias

Quite right. It's pretty human to seek out information that supports their own convictions. One has to consciously avoid doing it.
  • glitznglamour15
    glitznglamour15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    OMG this post is amazing :) I love my diet coke, to be honest. I have tried not drinking it, but hell.... why spend my life worrying about something that may give me cancer?? I love you so much for making me feel less guilty about enjoying this simple life pleasure :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's bad science to cherry-pick data. Few studies meet everyone's gold-standard. No study is perfect, and anyone can choose to invalidate any study at any time by pointing out its failings. Which leaves us with the question "which studies do you trust"? And Monsanto/Searle/NutraSweet has a lot of money to throw into a huge number of studies by different organizations to create an illusion of safety.

I know this-- my own appetite is better controlled when I'm not consuming aspartame vs. when I am. I don't have tendinitis flare-ups when I'm not consuming aspartame vs. when I am. My blood sugars are better when I'm not consuming aspartame vs. when I am (I have read studies that indicate that aspartame triggers a sugar release from the liver in some people).

So, will I consume aspartame? No. I get much better results using stevia to sweeten those few things that I consume which I want sweeter. I believe the science that is out there supports my personal observations in my own life, and the lives of others I am familiar with. I just trust the science more that shows aspartame to be bad for the body. Whether it's toxic or carcinogenic or mutagenic or whatever....
    Strong confirmation bias

Quite right. It's pretty human to seek out information that supports their own convictions. One has to consciously avoid doing it.

Exactly right, we are all biased to some degree and it can be difficult to recognize those biases. I feel though that at the point where you recognize that you have a bias it is your responsibility to ensure that you work hard to work against that. But if when you recognize you have a bias your response is instead to proclaim it with pride and wear it as a badge of honor then something is wrong.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe in vaccines. I am not refuting your "science" or the lack of research that says aspartame is bad (or good). I was sharing my personal beliefs about what I choose to eat and why.

Nobody on MFP can ever win an argument based on "scientific research" because people pick and choose which studies they cite as evidence to support their position. I'm not interested in doing that.

I'm just choosing to avoid as many highly processed foods as possible. Whole foods may be minimally processed, but they are not as processed as a can of diet Pepsi....and they taste better.
  • them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love this! It's rational, factual and not a bad read even for a dumb dumb like me ;).

I believe it's incredibly important for those with knowledge to try to prevent the spread of misinformation. Sure, some will plug their fingers in their ears and just keep on trucking. However, a lot of people just need some science to help sort out what they heard because someone posted some stupid meme on their facebook wall...

OP, you must be exhausted, but thank you :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Yes, I believe in vaccines. I am not refuting your "science" or the lack of research that says aspartame is bad (or good). I was sharing my personal beliefs about what I choose to eat and why.

Nobody on MFP can ever win an argument based on "scientific research" because people pick and choose which studies they cite as evidence to support their position. I'm not interested in doing that.

I'm just choosing to avoid as many highly processed foods as possible. Whole foods may be minimally processed, but they are not as processed as a can of diet Pepsi....and they taste better.

I don't really see what saying *I believe it because I believe it* really adds to the narrative or our understanding of the very real and tangible processes underpinning our biology.

To me the only thing artificial here is the artificial line some draw between "processed" or "natural" food as if there is substative meaning to be derived from that rather arbitrary and semantic distinction.

There are "processed" things that unequivocally improve our health and standard of living and there are *natural* things that will outright kill you. We are not served by trying to pigeonhole a complex issue into some sort of makeshift black and white choice.

I mean can you define in a measurable or quatifiable way what distinguishes a "natural" food from a "procesed" food? Can you name a single item in the grocery store that has not undergone "processing" in human hands?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    So I will bite because I am admittedly curious as to what the response is.

How is a bananna or an apple or rice or an almond or basically anything you can name from the grocery store less "processed" than a can of soda. Is it because the can of soda is in an aluminum can because I'll grant you that, although I guess almonds can also come in aluminum cans.

I mean what criteria are you using here to define what constitutes "processed". Human intervention? Amount of time of human intervention? Number of separate ingredients? What constitutes a "separate ingredient" in a meaningful way? Chemicals? What is the difference between a "natural" chemical and a "processed" chemical? I get the feeling that when I think chemical and when you think chemical we are picturing two completely different concepts.

If we selectively bred cows for millennium to lactate aspartame-milk do you think the future whole-foods crowd would lap it up as nutritious because now its "natural"? Can you think of any "whole food" you'd find in the grocery store today that hasn't undergone millennium of selective breeding?

I just feel that if you really sit down and think about it its pretty clear what an arbitrary distinction you are making between "natural" and "artificial" when you pick something up from a grocery store.
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Aspartame, especially in diet sodas, can have some side effects. I get mouth sores any time I drink a diet soda. A friend of mine gets raging headaches when she drinks anything, including tea or coffee,with aspartame.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Aspartame, especially in diet sodas, can have some side effects. I get mouth sores any time I drink a diet soda. A friend of mine gets raging headaches when she drinks anything, including tea or coffee,with aspartame.

I am sorry you get mouth sores and your friend gets headaches but honestly there is a very good reason why the scientific community does not consider personal anecdote as evidence.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Aspartame makes me fart :blushing:
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bumping for later reading
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Delicious drinks + a renewable source of energy for methane-based lanterns. Sounds win win to me.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Delicious drinks + a renewable source of energy for methane-based lanterns. Sounds win win to me.
    :laugh:

Except I take that back. Aspartame doesn't bother me. Splenda makes me fart. I can have have a Diet Dr Pepper totally risk free :drinker:
  • emmy724
    emmy724 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Aspartame Is Fecal Matter of Genetically Modified E. Coli bacteria. YUM
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Cheese is rotten milk.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

If by "fecal matter" you mean export product then so is insulin.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is yeast poop.