Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Replies

• benz02
    benz02 Posts: 1 Member
    Ok so after all of that, I still do not want to ingest anything with Aspartame in it. Interesting read though, thanks for sharing your opinion.
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Aspartame doesn't scare me.. but some people swear that it affects them negatively so I can understand why they may avoid it. However, drinking a can of diet dr. pepper keeps me from going for a high calorie dessert -- so I shall keep it until I get some better evidence of it being 'toxic.'
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Aspartame doesn't scare me.. but some people swear that it affects them negatively so I can understand why they may avoid it. However, drinking a can of diet dr. pepper keeps me from going for a high calorie dessert -- so I shall keep it until I get some better evidence of it being 'toxic.'

In case I haven't been clear this is how I feel to.

I am not trying to convince people who suffer ill effects when they drink a diet soda to drink diet soda anymore than a doctor would encourage a patient with leg pain to move their leg. If it causes you issues then avoid it.

My point is simply that ones personal experience or heresay of the experience of others is not a legitimate reason to label something a general "toxin" especially when the symptoms are something as nebulous and hard to pin down as a headache.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I have a friend who gets terrible stomach cramps when he eats meat. So, following the line of logic I see some people use, meat is something none of us should eat, right?

*sips diet Pepsi* This was very interesting Aaron. Maybe a little too sciency for me, but I plan to go back and look over it again a window up to run some searches and delve a little deeper. I appreciate you taking the time to write this out.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    I avoid aspartame for the following reasons:

1. It tastes absolutely disgusting.
    2. It leaves that nasty fake-sweetener aftertaste.
    3. Bloat and other stomach problems that really don't require public airing
    4. Migraine trigger

Now, I am fully aware that my reasons for avoiding artificial sweeteners rely on a study with a fairly small sample...you know...just me; however, while this may not qualify as clinically significant, I find it enough to satisfy me, and thus, I avoid it. And I know...it's anecdotal, but if something makes me feel that poorly, I just don't need science to tell me it is okay for me to consume. I listen to my body. And because it makes me that ill, I don't allow my child to consume it either.

What I fail to understand is why people are being so unkind to those who disagree with the OP, even after he invited them (or us I suppose) to join the discussion.

In reality folks, I think we all know that better than sugar or aspartame, is simply to avoid added sweeteners at all. For example, studies have suggested that those who consume diet soda are at a higher risk for weight gain and obesity than those who consume no soda. So, no soda is better than soda, diet or otherwise. Other studies have suggested that artificial sweeteners lead to metabolic disruptions. My sources, like university studies and respected medical organizations, lead me to believe that evidence is inconclusive at best.

My conclusions: it's bad for me because it makes me sick (I can't speak for everyone in that regard), but undoubtedly, water is better for all of us.

Have you read those studies directly yourself or did you read an news story or blog about them. Can you cite them please? Its not good to try to claim authority via rigorous studies without providing your audience the opportunity to read review and evaluate your source material.

The rest is subjective so no comment there.

See what I mean about being unkind? I don't get my news from blogs, and I've read the studies at some point, but since I'm not feeling argumentative, and I have no desire to spend time trying to find copies of studies I've read in the past, I'm going to respectfully decline. I just finished a long run and hopped on here to log it, when this topic caught my eye. Note, I never claimed authority. I was sharing my person reasons for not consuming artificial sweeteners, and I acknowledged the anecdotal nature of that evidence.

As for the latter part, should you desire to look further, I believe one of the studies was from Harvard Dept. for Public Health or some such, and other avenues to whom I look for information include the American Academy of Pediatrics and similar such medical organizations.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I avoid aspartame for the following reasons:

1. It tastes absolutely disgusting.
    2. It leaves that nasty fake-sweetener aftertaste.
    3. Bloat and other stomach problems that really don't require public airing
    4. Migraine trigger

Now, I am fully aware that my reasons for avoiding artificial sweeteners rely on a study with a fairly small sample...you know...just me; however, while this may not qualify as clinically significant, I find it enough to satisfy me, and thus, I avoid it. And I know...it's anecdotal, but if something makes me feel that poorly, I just don't need science to tell me it is okay for me to consume. I listen to my body. And because it makes me that ill, I don't allow my child to consume it either.

What I fail to understand is why people are being so unkind to those who disagree with the OP, even after he invited them (or us I suppose) to join the discussion.

In reality folks, I think we all know that better than sugar or aspartame, is simply to avoid added sweeteners at all. For example, studies have suggested that those who consume diet soda are at a higher risk for weight gain and obesity than those who consume no soda. So, no soda is better than soda, diet or otherwise. Other studies have suggested that artificial sweeteners lead to metabolic disruptions. My sources, like university studies and respected medical organizations, lead me to believe that evidence is inconclusive at best.

My conclusions: it's bad for me because it makes me sick (I can't speak for everyone in that regard), but undoubtedly, water is better for all of us.

Have you read those studies directly yourself or did you read an news story or blog about them. Can you cite them please? Its not good to try to claim authority via rigorous studies without providing your audience the opportunity to read review and evaluate your source material.

The rest is subjective so no comment there.

See what I mean about being unkind? I don't get my news from blogs, and I've read the studies at some point, but since I'm not feeling argumentative, and I have no desire to spend time trying to find copies of studies I've read in the past, I'm going to respectfully decline. I just finished a long run and hopped on here to log it, when this topic caught my eye. Note, I never claimed authority. I was sharing my person reasons for not consuming artificial sweeteners, and I acknowledged the anecdotal nature of that evidence.

As for the latter part, should you desire to look further, I believe one of the studies was from Harvard Dept. for Public Health or some such, and other avenues to whom I look for information include the American Academy of Pediatrics and similar such medical organizations.

I simply asked you to cite your sources for your claims I do not think that makes me unkind but if I offended you I apologize it was not my intent.

My concern is that claiming study results without citing the studies is a common way for misinformation to spread. In my opinion one should either take the time to do their due diligence and find the citation or not refer to a study at all.

Personally I find the notion that you can't be bothered to locate the sources but expect me to hunt them down based on vague references to an institution a little rude and insulting.
  • them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    Also - this thread is totally relevant for MFP. I was going to have a snack, and then I got reading 16 pages of some pretty good discussion and forgot. Now I'm going to bed sans snack.
  • nrfitchett4
    nrfitchett4 Posts: 2 Member
    I think this falls under the whole too much of anything is bad for you. Too much diet soda or asparatame in general seems to cause neuro issues. I've seen it first hand with people who drink 4-5 liters a day of diet soda. I'm guessing its the build up of methanol. Not drinking this many seems to resolve symptoms.
    According to the China study, animal protein increases risk of some cancers. What they don't tell you is that too much plant protein increases risks for other cancers.
    I think if all of us would learn moderation, none of us would get cirrhotic livers, morbid obesity or lung cancer. But since we tend to over do what we enjoy, this isn't the case. We will all die of something. My goal is to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible.
    To the OP, thanks for explaining this. I also found because of this that other things in my diet, like tomatoes probably give me more asparatame than my daily coke zero.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Just for the fun of it, I wanted to see how many studies I could find that show a correlation between aspartame consumption and negative health effects. Here are just a few, all found on PubMed:

Aspartame administered in feed, beginning prenatally through life span, induces cancers of the liver and lung in male Swiss mice

Life-span exposure to low doses of aspartame beginning during prenatal life increases cancer effects in rats.

First experimental demonstration of the multipotential carcinogenic effects of aspartame administered in the feed to Sprague-Dawley rats.

Chronic Effect of Aspartame on Ionic Homeostasis and Monoamine Neurotransmitters in the Rat Brain

Neurobehavioral effects of aspartame consumption

Ameliorative effect of Pimpinella anisum oil on immunohistochemical and ultrastuctural changes of cerebellum of albino rats induced by aspartame

Rate of atherosclerosis progression in ApoE-/- mice long after discontinuation of cola beverage drinking

Cognitive and biochemical effects of monosodium glutamate and aspartame, administered individually and in combination in male albino mice

Aspartame-induced apoptosis in PC12 cells

Cytotoxic effect of aspartame (diet sweet) on the histological and genetic structures of female albino rats and their offspring

Shall I go on? Gosh, I love PubMEd! Incidentally, just enter the search word "aspartame" and see what comes up.
  • fatcity66
    There are SO many more....my point is, for all the studies saying aspartame is safe, there are just as many (maybe more) saying it's not. To conclude, then, that it's "safe" overall, and has no negative effects, seems, to put it gently...rather short-sighted.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    There are SO many more....my point is, for all the studies saying aspartame is safe, there are just as many (maybe more) saying it's not. To conclude, then, that it's "safe" overall, and has no negative effects, seems, to put it gently...rather short-sighted.
    You have to remember that basically anyone can do a study, even a published one and/or reviewed one. How good the results are is to be determined afterwards by the scientific community.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Any of these that don't involve administering supraphysiological doses to cancer-prone rats?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Any of these that don't involve administering supraphysiological doses to cancer-prone rats?

^^^ That.
  • BlueBaron37
    BlueBaron37 Posts: 107 Member
    I'm not scared of the stuff just I hear it's made from the feces of the E-Coli bacteria, that's why I avoid it.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    I do NOT think that expertise or background is proof that someone is correct so I invite anyone and everyone who is interested to look into this yourself. I just mention it because I know I will likely be asked.

Agreed - which is why I was curious as to your analysis of the anti-aspartame studies.

I'd be equally interested in someone who is anti-aspartame to explain exactly why they feel that way...but fair warning "because I read it on the internet" or "because it's hard to pronounce" will not be acceptable answers over science.

I also encourage anyone who honestly believe that aspartame is dangerous to post here and explain in a reasoned way why you feel that is the case.
    I don't really feel like its dangerous, but I personally cannot have that or any kind of fake sugar like NutraSweet or Splenda. I get massive headaches using it so I just stopped drinking soda with it and any products with it. Now I can tolerate smaller doses of it, like a stick of gum once in awhile.
    Around 2 years ago, I would buy 4 cases of soda and our family would be through all four of them within the week, and in my defense, I never had more than one can a day and always got a headache from it. I just think my body has a hard time processing certain foods, but I don't feel like its evil. I am allergic to shellfish too, but that's my own allergy to worry about.

After I gave up soda for plain water, the headaches stopped, but the weight gain continued. I suspect that my own tendencies to overeat and not pay attention to what and how much I ate, as a cause for the weight gain. Soon as I got my eating habits in order, the weight started falling off! Go figure!

Someone else already said, that some people can't process certain things, and just to avoid it and not be preachy about it Totally agree.
  • fatcity66

Yep. Like I said just enter the search term "aspartame" in PubMed. There are literally 50+ pages of results. Read through just a few.
  • fatcity66

^^^ That.

Yes, many, many, many, studies. Go to PubMed.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

^^^ That.

Yes, many, many, many, studies. Go to PubMed.

I have, and I'd like you to provide an example with a link to a study where harmful effects are shown using doses that approximate what humans would typically consume.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

Yep. Like I said just enter the search term "aspartame" in PubMed. There are literally 50+ pages of results. Read through just a few.

"There are many examples of X, hundreds even! I won't be providing them myself of course in order to back up my claim and odds are if you say you can't find any I'll just say you didn't look/are lying."
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    So I will bite because I am admittedly curious as to what the response is.

How is a bananna or an apple or rice or an almond or basically anything you can name from the grocery store less "processed" than a can of soda. Is it because the can of soda is in an aluminum can because I'll grant you that, although I guess almonds can also come in aluminum cans.

I mean what criteria are you using here to define what constitutes "processed". Human intervention? Amount of time of human intervention? Number of separate ingredients? What constitutes a "separate ingredient" in a meaningful way? Chemicals? What is the difference between a "natural" chemical and a "processed" chemical? I get the feeling that when I think chemical and when you think chemical we are picturing two completely different concepts.

If we selectively bred cows for millennium to lactate aspartame-milk do you think the future whole-foods crowd would lap it up as nutritious because now its "natural"? Can you think of any "whole food" you'd find in the grocery store today that hasn't undergone millennium of selective breeding?

I just feel that if you really sit down and think about it its pretty clear what an arbitrary distinction you are making between "natural" and "artificial" when you pick something up from a grocery store.

Are you sure you weren't a philosophy major? I suggest a career change to law. :)