WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

Lucy: DC is my hometown. We were just there a couple of weeks ago. We did a walking tour to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Lincoln Memorial and the Martin Luther King Memorial. Then we hopped in a cab and went over to Georgetown for a late lunch at the Sea Catch Restaurant. :glasses: We went over to the National Harbor last year and spent the day walking around both were lovely. We planned to go back to the National Harbor because I want to stay at the Gaylord National for a weekend plus I understand Premium Outlets is nearby. Perhaps we will be able to fit Old Town Alexandria in as well. Please let us know how the trip went.

Sylvia: On somedays I am like Molly – the only thing I have in my head is chase and kill too!:laugh:

Heather: Over indulging once in a while is not bad! The most important thing is that you enjoyed yourself! :wink:

Grandmallie: Hugs to you!:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Excellent advice for Allison and me too! I hadn’t thought about “Dear Abby” in years but I do remember that she had pretty good advice!:smile:

Carol in Monroe: Congratulations on the weight loss.:flowerforyou:

Renny: Congratulations on your new grandson!:love:

Barbie: Sometimes blended households and in-laws can be a bit much! :grumble: Since we have so many kids with spouses, step-kids, girlfriends and boyfriends we tend to stick to our schedule and let them work around it. It is less stress on us as well as on them. We make it a point to say we will all meet up at some central point at an appointed time for time to spend with each other. For those that live out of town, I make sure the house is clean, their rooms are ready, and the refrigerator is full. That way if they don’t show up the house is clean, the guest rooms are especially beautiful, and the grocery shopping is done. :tongue: Joyce had some pretty good advice about providing a list of restaurants, I think you could provide a list of places to go, sights to see, etc. I have “trained” my Mom to treat us the same way. It’s just less stressful on everyone.

Meg: You have been on my mind! The grandkids’ father quietly flew out of town (for good I think). He sent DD a text message from the plane letting her know he was gone. :noway: DD is doing ok. So perhaps it is all good! I am letting her be a grown-up without interference from me. I am happy to say she seem to be coming “back to the child I raised”. Things do seem to workout eventually. Glad the twin tornados were away from you. Stay safe!

Grumpy DeeDee: Remember you are in the home stretch!:happy: I think we are shooting for 100 degrees today! It was 80 degrees at 5 AM.:sad:

:flowerforyou: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUANITA!!!!:flowerforyou:

Have a great day everyone!

Tere in Richmond VA
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday Morning,

Hope you all have a successfully planned day!

The tornado alley sweeps by here in Ontario, ususally just as a bad storm, but now and then a whopper! Tore Goderich's historic
    town centre to bits a few years ago.

BJ, SWOnt.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options

Drkatie- Nice NSV! What is squash casserole with greek yogurt?

BJ, SWOnt

I found a squash casserole recipe online that had Parmesan cheese, grated sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream. I just substituted Greek yogurt for the sour cream. You mixed it all together with the squash, then crumbled Ritz crackers on top.

Honestly, I prefer plain boiled squash and onions, but I was trying to stay as healthy as possible while still appealing to the masses at the luncheon.
  • Sptwoman
    Sptwoman Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have finished my short DVD workout. It's a 14 minute mile but I'm working up to that. I figure I'll start where I am and I can only get better! Let's all have great day with focus on our goals.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Thanks for all of the sleep suggestions! I did take two Tylenol PM last night which probably helped but I woke up with my sinuses so dry it was almost painful to breathe. I will back it down to one tonight. The other downside to taking the Tylenol PM is that I don't feel like it's safe to take my Aleve at bedtime, too, so I ache all over this morning. However, I think the thing that may have most helped me sleep better was that I stopped all activity by 9:15 p.m. so that I could have a chance to actually relax some before trying to fall asleep. The old "a body in motion tends to stay in motion" thing but in a negative way. Tonight, I will add some lavender pillow mist to see if that will help.

After a couple of weeks of babying my knee, I have begun increasing my walking again. I'm still not anywhere near hitting my step goal, but it feels good to be moving more. I think I will try to look up some knee strengthening exercises today. Heather, do you have any to share?

Renny - Congratulations on the beautiful new grandbaby!

To the newcomer near Charlotte - I am in Burlington, DeeDee is in Winston-Salem, Michele is in Newton, and Bonnie is somewhere in the vicinity of Burnsville.

I'm so enjoying my time alone this week. I think it's obvious that I adore my son, but it is nice to not have anyone else "breathing my air" in my house. I clean and it stays clean. I put things away and they stay there. What a concept! I am so looking forward to having a place of my own!

I have been struggling with an issue at one of my jobs. We gained a new treasurer this year and she is not particularly careful and most of the deposits have had errors since December. Well, this has fouled up my bank reconciliations. My computer reports are right because I've caught the mistakes and entered the contributions correctly. However, because of the pressures of doing a 25 hour job in 15, I failed to make some of the bank transfers to correct the deposit errors. It is nothing that can't be fixed, but it takes until I get the bank statement for the following month before I discover that I didn't make the transfer. As a result, the committee that I report to is aghast that I haven't already closed the prior month before we meet as little as eight days into the following month. Most times, I don't even HAVE the bank statement before we meet! I've been trying to figure out how to placate them and yet keep my integrity about being sure I've checked everything out before I close the month. I've decided to tell them that I am human and can't do it! Good grief! The other church where I work has an accountant that works with me on a monthly basis to 1) fulfill standard accounting practices of not having the same person writing the checks and balancing the check book, and 2) to look for any errors. I'm tired of killing myself trying to do a job in 15 hours that took my predecessor 25 hours. Vent done! :angry:

Well, I'm off to get some more work done here before I go to the second job. I have a meeting tonight after work so it will be 8 p.m. before I get home. I need to inventory my snack supplies to be sure I have something that will hold me until I can get to my late dinner.

Have a great day, everyone!

Carol in NC

Edit: I forgot to say Happy Birthday, Juanita! :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cynthia: I had a bike treadmill test a couple of years ago. They did it that way because of my bad knee. I lay on a table with a pedal attachment, and peddled my little heart out. My heart was fine. I was having acid reflux issues. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m sorry your doctors are not available sooner. I don’t think you are harping on the BP issue. It is of genuine concern and you should be able to write about it. You should also have an on-call doctor to deal with things in your cardiologist's absence. That is the doctor's responsibility in my opinion. Our neighbor’s son bought a Great Dane puppy a couple of years ago, and he was adorable. Now he’s a grown dog, and still adorable.:flowerforyou:

Lisa from the beautiful Pacific NW: There are several of us from the PNW who post regularly. Welcome to a great group of women.:flowerforyou:

LucyT: DH had a stroke last year and had to cut out sodium in his diet to help reduce his BP. I stopped cooking with it. If a recipe calls for sodium I either leave it out entirely, or cut it in half. I add salt at the table and he uses salt substitute when he wants that salty flavor. It has been a very effective strategy and I’m feeling better with less salt, too.:flowerforyou:

Kim in N CA: I hope your house issues settle down. I’ve noticed they seem to come in bunches at my house, too. It seems like a group of things that were installed at one time all wear out together. "DH" can stand for a several things, either positive or negative…:wink::laugh:

DeeRamage: Welcome to a great group. Post often.:flowerforyou:

Robin: Congratulations on Bodi’s improvement! He’s a lucky dog to have you in his life.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I hope that Jake’s daughter is able to come and visit. I would keep my plans in place, too, after so many schedule changes.:flowerforyou:

Renny: CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your new grandson! :love: :heart: :love: :heart: I hope you get some rest and feel better, soon. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Is Lowe’s foods connected to the building supply Lowes, or is it a separate company?:huh: :flowerforyou:

Meg: I’m so sorry to hear about tornado deaths in your state. The loss of a child is always a painful tragedy.:cry::brokenheart:

Penny: Welcome. Post often and you’ll get to know everyone as we get to know you. Let us know where you’re from.:flowerforyou:

Alison: I’m glad you spent some positive time with your DH. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Have fun shopping for a new top. We have an African friend who makes wonderful barbecued goat. I’ve only had it once, but it was memorable. I have no idea about the recipe. I thought my single bean plant had died, but it is growing with the peas. I sent off for a new package of purple pod beans and will plant them in July for a fall crop. I like them because they taste great, the purple color of the beans turns to green during cooking, and they’re easy to see to pick.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: It seems like your remodeling project is going on and on. I bet the results will be worth it.:flowerforyou:

Juanita: Happy Birthday!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

This is the day of the week we usually go to the acupuncture doctor for DH, but he’s decided to take a break from acupuncture until fall. So, we have a free day and will likely spend it playing with boats. The weather is currently overcast but it looks like there will be sunshine mixed with clouds and a temperature in the 70’s. I’m happy with that.:bigsmile:

Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I apologize for not keeping you more up to date on Bodi. It has been a very stressful 4 and half weeks. Iin the past 3 days his progress has been awesome. He walked into his pen today across the grass (about 20 feet) Slow and wobbly but I am so proud of him.

The stress has taken its toll on me. I went to the doctor on Monday because of the chest pains, arm tingles, jaw pain etc. Classic signs of a heart attack. My heart is fine. My EKG was "textbook perfect" according to the doctor. However, my blood pressure is very high. So I am now on medication for it.

I know I could lower it with diet and exercise but work and Bodi seem to take all I have to give right now.

Take care all and I will try to keep you better updated on the boy dog.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    PNW

PS Congrats Renny! Please take care of yourself.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    [quo

Sylvia: On somedays I am like Molly – the only thing I have in my head is chase and kill too!:laugh:

[/quote]

Tere, OMG.............this is about the funniest thing I've read on here
    and I agree!!! Tea all over my shirt.
    yanniejannie
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    Renny,congrat`s on the new gran baby,adorable.:drinker: :drinker:
    Juanita-Happy Birthday!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:
    hugs:heart::heart:
    jane
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies (anyone remember me?)

What can I say, I have been missing for nearly 3 months :embarassed: I have been thinking about you but just could not think of anything to say - I was in such a low mood,

I'm now finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and feel more like my old self so thought I'd check in and see how my pals are doing. I need to go back over the last few pages to catch up with you all, but I recognise some names and see that there are a few new people too. I look forward to getting back into the swing of things.

Work continues to be a challenge, but I am trying not to get too stressed out with it. I have this afternoon off work to catch up with a few things and thought this would be an ideal time to get in contact again and back on the wagon :smile: (really should be catching up with some chores) :bigsmile: but it is a lovely day and I can catch up with the chores later!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. WOW we have had storms the last several days that have done alot of damage. I am grateful that all we have is some tree branches down. Praying for all the people that were hurt and lost homes. It is to get up to 97 today, so guessing tonight we will have a chance of more storms.
    Well yesterday was weigh in morning and down .3. So glad to have the same scale. The weekend just flew by again. Saturday we went to Lexington to a CMA meeting. Sunday we rode the motorcycle to Lincoln and went to a Tabernacle Experince. It was very interesting and good History lesson. Nice Father's day and missed my dad but not real upset like I figured I would be.Last evening came to a meeting at work about all the changes going on. It is scary and since we are sister hospitals with Omaha they are going to charge the same for meals. One day at a time I keep telling myself and atleast I still have a job for now.

DeeDee-sounds like you drove thru the same kind of storm we had Saturday night driving home. Could not see the road and rain was terrible and the lightening was so strong. I prayed the whole way and was so glad to get home. Just getting from the car to the house was soaked. We ended up with over 4 inches of rain that night. Sorry to hear about fur baby bitting someone. They have feelings also and I agree that sounds like she has had enough.

Carol--sounds like a good 3rd job, just make sure and take of yourself. Glad you get sometime alone time with DD, sounds like could be interesting, Have fun. Great news on the house deal. Pray it sells fast and you get all you need and then some.

Rori--So sorry to hear about your fall.

Cheryl--Thanks for sharing the horse pictures. You look very good. I so understand about your work. They keep telling us to be Thankful we still have jobs. Scary.

Heather--you are very much worth it!! Hope you are feeling better and before your friends arrive.

Jill-your trip sounds so nice and relaxing. Thanks so much for sharing.

Cynthia-congrates on the weight loss. I used to wear sportbras all the time. Just realized I don't even own one anymore. Hope your doctor's visit today went well. Just saw that your appointment went well.

Janet--I have the flex fitbit and love it. It can be worn in water, showers, pool, salt water up to 10 meters. I wear mine all the time and even went swimming and no problems.

Pat--what a neat idea for a gift. Love the picture.

Renny--Sorry to hear about your mom, sending hugs and prayers for all of you.

Allison--I am worn out just reading about your day. Please take care and I bet your DGDs are going to be happy spending time with you no matter what you do. I know mine just love the one on one time. Sorry to hear about DB and his problems, Please take care of you first.

Carol in Monroe--I understand how you felt on Father's day I also lost my dad this last March. Still can't believe it somedays. Great weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Patty OH--hope it works out and you get into the program at work.

tere-glad to hear you were able to not get stressed out over DD's life. That is not easy to do, hope it all works out for her. Great NSV.

Barbie--your ferry trip and day sounds like a great get away day. I do enjoy days like that when DH and I just spend the time together doing what we want and not in a hurry.

Syliva--Please becareful and I am another one who will be so glad when you get to see the doctor. Take care of yourself.

Yanniejannie--Glad for you sake about your DD and the job. Hope she finds something soon that she can use her education.

Kim--I understand how you feel, somedays I wounder why we bought a house as I would love to be able to call someone else to fix things and figure how to pay for it.

Renny--Big Congratulations on the new grand son. He looks so speical. I hope you enjoy every minute.

Robin--good news about Bobi, Please take care of you.

Juanita--Happy Birthday, so glad to see you back. Hope you are doing something speical just for you today.

Well I am once again all caught up. Hope you all stay cool and storm free. Going to be another hot one here with chance of storms. This is my long day as after work I voluteer in the gift shop till close. So take care and stay safe.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I'm a newbie from hot Louisiana. Hoping to make friends, keep motivated, and lose weight. My name is Penny.
    [/quote

you can add me as a friend, I have been on the thread just less than a week and am already a part of " the ladies"

very supportive, just like sisters !!!

hope to hears from you,

Carol in Monroe

]
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC - is it possible for you to establish on-line acces to the bankstatement? That way you can check it against the deposits throughout the month. It's tough to be the recipient of misunderstandings. It seems you need better support. I agree there has to be separation of duties, or at least more than 1 signature for signing financial transactions. Although in smaller organizations it's not always possible. I hope things will work out better for you with respect to hours.

I better go.

Renny
  • jscoachwife
    jscoachwife Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are from Nebraska. Me too! I am originally from Holdrege, but have lived in Beatrice for the last 28 years. My daughter lives in Lexington. So nice to know there is someone else from the area!
  • jscoachwife
    jscoachwife Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. WOW we have had storms the last several days that have done alot of damage. I am grateful that all we have is some tree branches down. Praying for all the people that were hurt and lost homes. It is to get up to 97 today, so guessing tonight we will have a chance of more storms.
    Well yesterday was weigh in morning and down .3. So glad to have the same scale. The weekend just flew by again. Saturday we went to Lexington to a CMA meeting. Sunday we rode the motorcycle to Lincoln and went to a Tabernacle Experince. It was very interesting and good History lesson. Nice Father's day and missed my dad but not real upset like I figured I would be.Last evening came to a meeting at work about all the changes going on. It is scary and since we are sister hospitals with Omaha they are going to charge the same for meals. One day at a time I keep telling myself and atleast I still have a job for now.

It sounds like you are from Nebraska. Me too! I am originally from Holdrege, but have lived in Beatrice for the last 28 years. My daughter lives in Lexington. So nice to know there is someone else from the area!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Tere, you are hilarious!

Robin, I hate to tell you this, but for a year or more I was having chest pains and ALL my tests were perfect. EKG's, stress tests, sonograms, and all the others. Then the pain got so bad I finally had a heart cath which found a 98% blockage. So, be very careful and pay attention to how you feel. It could all be stress or reflux, but it could be something worse. Just be careful. Excellent news about Bodi! I've been so worried.

It told you the other day I bought some Smart Balance Butter and Canola Oil Blend... Well, this morning I re-read the label and found it has fish oil in it! I couldn't believe it! I have a pretty severe allergy to fish and always read labels, but missed it on this one. I ate a little the other day and didn't have a reaction, but you never know when it might happen. So now hubby has to finish that tub. Darn it! That stuff was delicious! I found out the hard way that their Olive Oil blend in sticks has fish, so I don't buy that one. Gotta be more careful.

Here is the joke of the day...

:happy:

The National Game warden put out a warning to all hikers in his area. Warning that they should wear small bells on their boots so not to startle the bears. To help distinguish the different types of bears the notice read--
    Small bears droppings are small with nuts and berries in it.
    Grizzly bear droppings are much larger with nuts and berries and little tiny bells in it.

:laugh:

Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia
  • clarehd
    clarehd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey Y'all:
    I'm Clare from beautiful Beaufort, SC. Home of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot and the Marine Corps Air Station. We are truly blessed in this country to have our Marines and other branches of the military willing to sacrifice to protect us and keep us free.
    MyFitnessPal is such a great tool to assist in weight loss. And its nice to have the "women over 50+" message board to post on.
    My biggest struggle is with sugar and apparently, pasta, since it just hit home today that I will probably have to cut it out of my diet entirely. At least for a while. I like pasta way too much. :love:
    Getting older is tough to face sometimes, but one of the good things about it is you learn to count your blessings and be grateful for what you have rather than the things you do not have. Just a thought.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Just got back from Charlies doctor's appointment. EKG looks wonderful, another appointment in 6 months. Charlie hates it that he has to go see her every 6 months but you don't fool around with atrial fibrillation or its medicines. And we get a good walk to get to her office from the parking lot. That is unless I will let him park in a handicap spot but I don't. He parks in one not for me but for the wider space just to protect his car.

I also had a pet biting problem. For Mother's day one year Michelle bought me this precious little kitten from the Humane Society. She was so cute and purring all the time, playful with everyone. But after neutering she became a different cat. She wouldn't tolerate anyone except Charlie and I and many times would just stare at me and then come over and bite me. One time when she was at the vet to have procedure she had to stay overnight and bit a tech who was checking up on her. She had always been petrified of the outdoors so the vet said it was OK for us not to give her her regular shots. Now that I think of it he wasn't the wisest person to do that since you can't legally license your pet here without it. anyway since she hadn't had her rabies shot she had to be quarantined here in the house for I think 10 days. the city even came out and did a spot check to make sure she was here. When I answered the door and she was sitting hissing at him he knew she was here! She died of some mysterious illness suddenly. Less than a year later we adopted Melody and she has been a joy to us and our grand kids.

Joyce, Indiana
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Spoke too soon on the tornadoes! Poor town north east of my location was hit badly! Shades of the 1985 tornado from that area!
    No one died, thank god, just a millions in home damage...hold on, we are going for another round of potential storms!

Best to all,

BJ, SWOnt ( far south in Ontario.)
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    hello ladies! a lot of water has gone under the bridge since I last posted here. My oldest grandson graduated high school; my mom celebrated 82 years and I have added a second part-time job to my day. I cut out drinking caffeine so most of my drinking is tap water as I gave up on bottled water too - due to all the stories I was reading on the plastic and heat. Overall life is good and I do hope all of you are doing well. I am doing fairly well managing my food intake but not so good on the exercise so the scale hasn't been moving.

Keeping this short and sweet as I need to eat dinner before I head out to church tonight - VBS celebrates with a carnival on the grounds for the kids and public.

TTYL -
    Teral, in Plano :flowerforyou: