WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• nanboot
    nanboot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks I have begun drinking 2 litres of water a day. I drink ( 2) 500 ml bottles in the morning and then the other 2 (500 ml) after lunch, plus whatever else I am drinking. I think this has helped me to flush out toxins, etc. from my system. I gave up coffee and alcohol too, and don't seem to miss it too much. It is for such a good cause...my health. Good luck and I wonder if any one else has tips on nutritional things that help with weight loss::flowerforyou:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I have had a busy few days and have missed a lot on here. Yesterday was weights for arms and legs plus treadmill time. Today was treadmill only. We went out last night for dinner and a baseball game. The weather was perfect! Today I am up a pound probably from sodium. We will see what tomorrow brings. Trying to maintain is tricky!

Have a great evening!

Cindy in OK
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Meg, I'm Cheryl, but you always called me Carol. I didn't want to correct you because you were so consistent. Tomorrow I am praying for 179.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of Denise Austin Boot Camp DVD. Tomorrow I'll do a DVD that uses the bands.

After exercising, I went to WalMart since Vince needed more milk and I got some other things, too. Came home and had breakfast. The plumber called, he was supposed to be here in the afternoon but at 9:15 he was on his way. So I took Vince's info to the Newcomer general meeting for him. He would really have liked this place (it's a showroom of classic cars) so I think after I do my volunteer work at the Green Room tomorrow, we'll go there. I took one of their business cards because even tho they are open, they like you to call in advance.

After the meeting I went to senior bowling, then to Aldi, then home and in the pool for a bit (it started sprinkling). Made brownies to take to Jessica when we go up to help her move since I don't think the cookies will be enough, seems we're "apartment sitting" so the cable company can come while she's at work. Now I'm making one of the angel food cakes with pineapple so that I will have something to eat.

bebubble - isn't it a great feeling when you find something that's too big???

DeeDee - I always dreamed of having a lavender room. Vince didn't want it. I think it would look lovely. Sounds like all your work will only produce lovely things

sherryhall - I only have a FEW (like 2 or 3) pairs of pants that are one (and only one) size larger. Everything else has been donated.

Jan - sometimes it's worth helping to pay for something (the chicken salad on croissants) and not have any. OR you could just have the chicken salad, minus the croissant.

Jacqueline - when I first took a water class probably about 10 years ago, this one gal said to me "you'll be sweating in the water". I thought to myself "yea, sure". I can't get over how much I sweat and drink water! One of the good thing is that if you have a hot flash (and this has happened to me), the water is a good place to have one....lol Zumba on land can be hard on the knees. In the water, you don't have the impact but you can certainly get a good workout. I would think it would be especially good for elderly people who have knee/back problems

Gail - when Vince was in the hospital in Switzerland, it took a full 10 months before the insurance got all straightened out. Hope that doesn't happen to your boss. What country is he in?

tere - I would expect an extreme fluid loss for your son. You sure have a lot on your plate. Try not to stress too much

Cleo and janwheat - welcome! Great goals

Beth - that's great how long ds has been headache-free! The other day I was sweating so much (it was humid), I'm really not a sweater so I wasn't accustomed to this. The sweat was pouring down onto my glasses! That I didn't like

MB - I was about to tell you what Sylvia said. That's the way I get to the end of the list of posts and then just work my way back up to where I left off

Eileen - I hate to hear about water problems. I sure hope it isn't real bad. I like your way of looking at things (only possessions)

Carol in NC - did you get any bad storms today (Wed). We didn't.

Meg - feel better fast. I'm so sorry you're under the weather. I do take the mulch that is under the deck right now and put it around the bushes (if that's what you want to call them) in the front of the house. The mulch is so much lighter than the rock!

Cindy in OK - you said it, maintaining IS tricky.

Michele in NC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I am so far behind, I won't even try. Haha. We've been down with some kind of bug in our household lately. Just a lingering annoying cough now, and a sexy low jazzy kinda voice:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

DD about to have baby #2. I'll let you all know when that happens.

xxxooo
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Beth: you’re putting in a lot of work in the kitchen. Glad it’s paying off.
    Vicki: I don’t wear the flex in the pool or in the shower: you can, but if you look inside the place in the band where the tracker fits, you’ll see there are places where water will just stay. Since it doesn’t track swimming well I just take it off beforehand and log the swimming.
    Sylvia and others: I’m getting to the point where I need to make decisions about “big” clothes. So far I have kept my biggest jeans and a top my guy has always liked, but these are on a shelf in the closet to use for comparison pics later. I have donated other items. Sylvia, interesting that the pressure helped your migraines. Maybe Beth’s son should try it?? Are you an artist (drawings)?
    Gloria: good to see you!
    Carol: good luck with everything.
    Meg: glad the father/daughter conversation went OK.
    Michele: pleeaaassseee send some of your energy my way!
    Renny: glad to see you and glad you’re feeling better.

It's lovely weather here. I'll be working a bit this morning and doing laundry. There's a party this afternoon for an ex-colleague who's turned 75; I'll most probably go there. Mixed feelings because of the job situation, but that has nothing to do with him, and he was one of the two colleagues who came to my husband's funeral, so I do want to support him.

Yesterday I actually took an evening walk. For those who don't know me: I do not walk. This has nothing to do with fitness, but I have a very painful arthritic knee (bone against bone) and I'm waiting to get a knee replacement. Yesterday evening I just felt like trying it (with my dog). Walked about a quarter mile and it was OK; the quarter mile back home was painful. Not going to be a regular part of my life until I get the new knee.

Wishing everyone a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    Just heard on an ansaphone message, that we somehow missed, that DSIL can't come this weekend after all as her son, DH'S nephew who has broken his ankle, is now in plaster so she has got to help with the toddler. The estranged mother is working. She sounded quite upset in her message, but I guess it would have happened whether the marriage was over or not and that's what grannies are for!:ohwell: :tongue: I am very sad we won't be seeing her, but granny duties come first. :heart: One of the problems is that the child won't go to other people - my own personal feeling is that she is on the autistic spectrum. At least all my food preparations for the two days are safely in the freezer. :ohwell:

She has just rung again and DH is talking to her right now.:cry:

Update: it seems that the main source of her upset is that her son, who we always thought of as a lovely young man, is telling her she is being unhelpful because she won't lend him yet more money. He already owes his sister thousands. Ugh, families! I expect all this rings a bell with some of you.:heart::heart: :heart:

Gardening today and a bit of prep for next week's two sets of guests. Both the women guests are trying to lose weight so I am providing less calorific alternatives. I will pick the last of the broad beans today and dig over the plot for planting beetroot and parsnips. Watering is in the plan. Then making yoghourt, cooking rhubarb and orange with Cointreau for the freezer and I hope to get round to making a small cauliflower cake for the starter on Friday next week. Delicious! The original recipe feeds ten so I will cut it in half. To be served with chilli jam or chutney.
    Dinner tonight - my pesto crusted hake.:love: I think there is enough chard in the garden to have some with broccoli.

I've done my exercising - :laugh: 540 calories to eat! ! ! ! ! ! That was rowing, elliptical and recumbent bike, follwed by 25 mins strength training.

We've got to get some nursery plants in the border today, so that will burn off a few more! I am going to try to eat under my allowance today as I want to knock this pound on the head. Yes, maintenance is tricky!:laugh: :wink:

Love to all - my brief history of 2 years weight loss is going to have to wait.:bigsmile:

Hugs to Jane, Meg, Carol, jb, Gloria and any one else in pain, be it physical, mental or emotional. WELCOME new people!:flowerforyou:

Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    today is a day off with not alot planned..but will be busy...
    Cynthia~ Sharon,Jen and the kids are just coming for the day... but the rest of the time it will be up to me to get stuff together for lunch's dinners etc... our grandaughter's are 12 and 14, they know how to cook, but going to do easy stuff. I am making lists up the wazoo trying to get stuff together, what kind of meals etc... we will do fine....
    It is alot of work for me to plan this..but I want everyone to have a good time, and want to have stuff done ahead of time so that I can enjoy too.
    My DB has the tummy bug so I will call and see how he is going today,by phone,dont want the creepin crud...
    going to try and use up stuff we have in the house and go grocery shopping right before they get here which is 2 weeks from today...
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I got to page 18 and our lights, computers and everything went off so now that it is back on I am going to add what I have in word and read page 18 later, just in case they go off again.
    I am recommitting myself to this journey, I have struggled for a while now, which I think the transition into menapuase has had a lot to do with. It seems like I can't lose weight, I lack energy and now I have had to admitted to myself, I've picked those bad eating habits back up and they are taking there toll. It's time to get back on track and move that scale.

Welcome Sherry! Great start with the 14 lbs. Keep it up.

Welcome jfauci! Congrats on the weight loss, that’s awesome.

Katla, I do watch the food channel, sometimes the recipes overwhelm me though. I am looking for simple and with ingredients that I can use often. I think I need a chef LOL.

Gloria, I feel your pain, sometime switching things up is what we need, I hope it works for you.

Jacqueline NYC, Are you a personal trainer or studying to be one?

Barbie NW Washington, I am taking a line dance lesson this Saturday. I love line dancing and want to learn and remember the steps. I took it years ago but can’t remember much.

Grandmallie, I agree, what is wrong with this country. We are the only country that has the issue of school shootings.

Gail, Hope your boss is on the mend, those intestinal parasites can really be dangerous.

Tere Richmond VA, Wow, sounds like you have your hands full, hang in there.

Beth, Great news regarding your son, and thanks, I am worth it, we all are.

I will catch up again this evening while I work at the Y.
    Have a great day
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good morning -- I read from yesterday's post forward, but haven't backtracked yet. For those who inquired about the boss - he was released from the hospital yesterday and is on the mend. He had gotten severely dehydrated with the effects from the parasite and so they gave him IV fluids for that and antibiotics to combat the parasite. I was able to talk to him briefly on the phone last night when he called in.

Have to get on to work early again today to catch up on some things before I lose 5-hours midday with training my new assistant. :smile: :happy:

Have to call the eye surgeon today to ask a question as I've noticed the right eye is not seeing as clearly as the left and I sort of see 2 images with the right eye. Very weird....

Thundershirts - I don't recall who asked now, but they are a t-shirt type of material with loads of velcro so you can wrap it tightly around the dog. (Missy does not like the sound of the velcro....such a chicken big!). And it does give them firm pressure around that makes them feel more secure - think of swaddling a newborn and you'll get the idea. (Though the doggie legs are free to move....)

Gail, metro ATL
  • mkd1955
    mkd1955 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good Morning from the drizzly, gray east coast! I started to follow this post last January, and then lost the thread so, I am going to try again. You are all amazing women and I hope to gain inspiration from you all. So, I didn't get to go through all the posts, but hello to all!

Goals for the rest of June:
    1. Log every day
    2. Eat properly
    3. Exercise
    4. Plan vacations! (really most important, don't you think?)
    5. Gain inspiration from you all!

I am 59, work full time and have a husband, who has always taken very good care of himself, and 2 grown children. Son (30), still lives at home, but is looking to buy a house, daughter (28) lives in Chicago and I miss her very much.

I don't have any drama in my life right now, and that's a good thing. Just trying to lose some weight, get down to a healthy blood sugar and weight and feel good.

I look forward to being part of this group

Have a wonderful day!

Kathy in NJ
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

:heart: Thank you for your continued kind words of support and prayers for Mariah. She had her first round of chemo yesterday, and will have another injection today. Here are a couple of photos, first one taken this past New Years, my niece Jennifer & husband Alex, with Mariah and her older sister Gabriela. Second one taken yesterday, Mariah having a good time with her dad in the hospital. Look at those smiles! There's no doubt she's well loved and cared for :smile: Alex is a fantastic father, and oh what a cook! He makes the most delicious Mexican dishes, yum! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

fam12-29-13.jpg

fam6-11-14.jpg

I'll be back later, have a happy Thursday :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb in Portland
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning!

Not much on this earth that's more inspiring than our brave babies, regardless of their age. The smiles through the pain and suffering sure help put life back in it's proper perspective.

Waiting for the sprinkler to finish so I can get in the shower and get on with my day. Aaron's FINALLY done with school after a 1/2 day tomorrow.

As far a my "switching things up", instead of logging all my food and exercise, I'm going to start journal entries to overview my days. I'm also waiting for a copy of The Biggest Loser: 6 Weeks to a Healthier You to arrive. Got it for $4 on Ebay. My plan is to follow that for the 6 weeks after it arrives and see if I get any results. If I can't lose on The Biggest Loser "diet" then I guess the only other option will be to stop eating all together:laugh:

Best wishes to all for a successful and happy day. Never give up on yourself. Believe, believe, believe....

xo- Gloria in warm and muggy Metro Detroit
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies –
    Its been a dreary and wet week here in Delaware. At least all this rain has gotten my garden to really sprout up. Need to get out there tonight and see what is going on.

Thank you for everyone’s feedback on my recent weight gain. I would say I am 90-95% accurate in my food logging and try to err on the plus side of calories. I am actually looking forward to my physical to see what the doctor says about all of the lab work results. As to stress, I mean we all have stressors in our lives, but nothing out of the normal and to depression, that isn’t me either, I’m pretty much a “glass half full” type of gal.

In the meantime, I will keep plugging with my food and exercising.

I finally re-started my strength training at the Y yesterday. I did the entire circuit and did 2-3 sets per machine. My arms are a little sore today, but not as bad as I had anticipated. My goal is to get there 2x per week, I’m going to try and get in again on Friday and then starting next week try to get their on-going Tues/Thurs after work. Also, had a good step day, got 20k +.

:smile: CityJaneLondon – your dinner of Huevos reveltos sounds de-lish!!
    :smile: Mollywhippit – I love my fitbit too.
    :smile: Megblair1 – hope your headache goes away soon

Goals for June:
    Cardio – A
    15k Each day – B+ (missed 2 days)
    Logging – A
    Strength Training – B
    Stretching - B+ (need to do it 2x per day)

Have a wonderful day!
    Suzy
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's another dreary day here, but I managed to get a 1 3/4 mile walk in after breakfast. I've started thinking of walking as "feeding my fitbit". It eats calories, you know. Yesterday I got within 80 steps of hitting my goal, but I was too dizzy to do any more. This afternoon I'm going to my friend's house to paint, so won't get my evening walk in. I'm hoping to go to the mall and walk a little this afternoon before I go. Unless it's not raining, then I could do it at home. It's supposed to rain all day.

Last night we went to Fazoli for the first time in years. I had two slices of pepperoni pizza which used up almost ALL of my exercise calories and blew my sodium limit out of the water! I usually never eat my exercise calories, so this was a huge deal. This morning I regretted it, for sure. The scale was not kind to me this morning, but I'm hoping it was the salt and today I can work through that.

BJ, thanks for the beautiful pics of Mariah! It's so nice to put a smiling face on what had been worry and fear. She is beautiful! So is her big sister.

Kathy, I envy your lack of drama. Stick with us and you can live through all our dramas, and see just how lucky you are. What kind of work do you do?

Speaking of work, I'd better get to mine. I hope you all have a great day.

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JB: Thank you for sharing the pictures of Mariah and her family. They are wonderful! All of them have my continued prayers.

Katla in overcast NW Oregon
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!
    Thank you for all the birthday wishes! I was thrilled to receive them and the cute messages too!:bigsmile: :love:
    The new school also spells more work, more time which equals to less time on mfp, facebook and generally less time to squander :cry:
    On the other hand I am ticking with new challenges, new course and new lot of students, colleagues and the rest :bigsmile:
    I am teaching Literature to IGCSE students. Hope the students are as thrilled as me at the end of the year.
    Best wishes to all, saw kids are feeling better and moms are working hard.
    Pounds got released, sizes have shrunk, so I'm cheering for all that!
    Anamika from Mumbai waiting for the Monsoons (rains)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    Phew! Exhausted, but I wanted to come back and say, what gorgeous photos of Mariah.:love: All the very best to her.:heart:

Suzy - sounds like you have a good plan. It may be thyroid, but extra exercise is always good. Building those muscles means we burn more calories just sitting still!:laugh:

I am exhausted from picking mountains of broad beans, shelling them, bagging them and freezing them. Now we can pull them up and plant seeds. I also picked and chopped rainbow chard for dinner. Then I made scones for DH and future visitors and so I could give some to the cleaner who brought me six of her hens' eggs. Do you have scones in the US? Tradionally eaten as a "cream tea" with clotted cream and jam. I had one of the 'runts' for my afternoon snack.:embarassed: No cream though and only a scrape of raspberry jam. :wink: Then I made home grown stewed rhubarb for supper and decided to do some more dinner party cooking in advance. Little individual white lotus shaped china pots of rhubarb, which had been baked in orange juice, brown sugar, golden syrup and Cointreau. Then I crytallised some orange peel in sugar syrup with Cointreau and decorated the tops. Very proud of them, they look so pretty. Now in the freezer for another day. Bring on the visitors! ! ! ! :drinker: DH has been outside digging our new beds so he is now relaxing with a beer.:bigsmile:

The World Cup (football - soccer) starts tonight so life will be dictated by that schedule. DH watches it in his study upstairs, thank goodness. Plus a Test Cricket match he will be watching earlier.So he will be out of my hair quite a bit.:laugh: The first England game is Saturday at 11pm.:noway: Then next week he will be at cricket locally. I will probably miss him.:laugh: :tongue: As some of you already know my main problem when he is not with me is keeping out of the fridge. Cheese calling!:ohwell: At least we have visitors on Tuesday so I will be busy. Even him being out of hearing of the fridge door is an immediate temptation to me. It isn't the big occasion cooking or even normal meals that are my downfall as that is under control, it is the sneaky bits and the bits that are calling me when I have finished logging for the day.:embarassed: Like Michele I am a sucker for uncooked cake mixture. A 50 cal bit of uncooked scone went down very easily!:laugh: :embarassed: I am logging it though.

Posted off my compensation form for the window, now all I need is a new tenant!

Love again to you wonderful women who keep me going,
    Heather in gloriously sunny Hampshire UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies. I am alittle confused today as usually work my short days Wednesday and Fridays, but am doing it today. So have to keep telling myself what day it is.

Sylvia--I do like the idea of us getting together to go on a cruise.

Eileen--sure hope it was not a big problem to fix. I know we had no claims for over 15 years and then last year we had 3 major home repairs in less than 6 months. Insurance paid each time and we lost our no claim discount for 2 years. But I was so glad all we had to come up with was the $500 deductable each time.

Carol--don't think twice about posting about the house. That is what we are here for and it is better to share then keep it inside and stress eat. I know that by the time they finished siding out house last year I was sick of the whole thing,

Meg--hope you are feeling better soon, Glad the talk with DD#1 went well and hope she means what she says.

Gail--nice to hear boss is better. What did you find out from the eye doctor? Please take care of yourself..

Welcome Kathy we are a fun group with lots of support and friendship.

jb--thanks for sharing the pictures and keeping us updated. Keeping all of you in my daily prayers.

I found the scale I usually weigh on each week, it had be lost all week. Seems the only person worried about it was me. I know I am strange about wanting to weigh on the same on everyweek. Anyway the lost is found and hoping it stays where it should be. Well have a good rest of the day.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I had to come into work today to sub for another faculty. We had a conflict in the operating room back in April and this particular faculty took my students elsewhere so I am teaching for her today so she can be a boyscout camp nurse. It’s cloudy and cool-ish here but not much chance of rain. DH stayed home this morning so he could take the younger kid to the oral surgeon to see about getting her wisdom teeth pulled. She has room on the bottom, but not the top.

Cindy: a baseball game sounds grand especially in this nice weather

Cheryl: omg sorry about that! At least I was close, right? YIKES. Sorry again! Keeping my fingers crossed for your weigh in.:flowerforyou:

Michele: seems like Jessica should be baking for you since you apartment sat!

Renny: hope you are feeling better soon and that baby comes quick!

Cynthia: so sorry about your painful knee. When is it being replaced? Both my knees are bone on bone but I have never had one problem with them and I hope it stays that way because I am one non-invasive kind of girl!

Heather: those families can sometimes cause the biggest dramas can’t they? So sorry you won’t be seeing DSIL. We do have scones; how authentic they are I don’t know, but they are sort of dense and dryish (Not bad dry, just not really moist) and triangular in shape. I really love them. No clotted cream though…not sure what that is!

Patty: it’s so easy to get back into bad habits, isn’t it? Just keep on plugging away. I keep telling myself each day is a chance to start over.

Gail: interesting info about the thunder shirt I always wondered how/why they worked

kathyNJ: I would like you to adopt me if your family doesn’t have drama! :happy:

jb: what a sweet little girl! That smile is infectious. She must really be a trouper!:heart:

Gloria: don’t’ give up on eating altogether! :laugh:

Suzy: I increased my weight lifting yesterday and so far don’t feel it….maybe that’s good or maybe it means I didn’t work very hard!

Sylvia: why were you dizzy? You can use going up and down a step ladder as your walk. I love the idea of feeding your fitbit. Mine sends me smooches, so I guess I should feed mine too!

Anamika: so glad you had a good birthday and your job is a pleasant challenge. What type of literature are you teaching?

Well I am heading out to get the groceries at Walmart; I’m saving the meat purchase for tomorrow at another store that has gas credits; they are having a special so if you buy $20 of meat or cheese, you get 13cents off each gallon, and if you buy $40 you get 26 cents off each gallon. Since I’m hosting both a dinner on Saturday and father’s day steak cookout Sunday, I’ll be getting some rewards!

Take care all meg from Omaha where the college world series is almost ready to begin! We also just won some sort of international horse competition in 2017…we beat the Netherlands and Hong Kong or someplace to host both the jumping and dressage competitions! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: