WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've started doing a 30 minute workout by fitnessblender on thursday mornings because my gym doesn't have any good classes that day. I burn about 350 to 375 calories in that time. They've got tons of exercise routines, but this one fits the small space in my apartment I have to move about. I'm really sweaty when I finish.

I just got a Polar FT7 HRM and set up the basics. Now I have to figure out how it works when I put it on. ;-)

megblair1 - I hope you are feeling better today. I don't tend to get headaches, but when I do, they are very debilitating.

Michele in NC - That sounded like a lot of sweets! Hope you enjoyed yourself. I'm planning to take the Aqua Zumba training in July. I'm a bit strapped right now, so I'm waiting a week or so to see if I can swing it. I think it would work well with my specializing in Zumba Gold.

yanniejannie - I think I didn't go back far enough to find your post - sorry. Have a good day. :-)

Well, Lunch now and then on to Chapter three of the ACE Exercise Science Manual.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Thurs.
    JB_love the pics
    Anamika -happy belated birthday.:flowerforyou: :drinker:
    So daughter went for another ultrasound as of yesterday,they couldn`t detect a baby or heartbeat.Today they did.She is due on Feb 1st.Looking forward to a new grand baby.:love::love:
    HUGS
    jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Meg, I think I was dizzy from the low BP. Really more of lightheaded than actually dizzy. It was 47 (diastolic) when I finished my walk yesterday. This morning it was 53 and I walked anyway. Didn't fall down so I guess I was OK.

Here is the joke for the day:

:happy:

The strong young man at the construction site was bragging that he could outdo anyone in a feat of strength. He made a special case of making fun of one of the older workmen. After several minutes, the older worker had had enough. "Why don't you put your money where your mouth is," he said. "I will bet a week's wages that I can haul something in a wheelbarrow over to that outbuilding that you won't be able to wheel back." "You're on, old man," the braggart replied. "Let's see what you got." The old man reached out and grabbed the wheelbarrow by the handles. Then, nodding to the young man, he said, "All right. Get in."

:laugh:

Sylvia
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday afternoon to the ladies who share here!

Jb, wonderful shots of Mariah and her indomitable spirit ! It takes such love and support for her to face
    these challenges, what a wonderful testament to the family! Thanks for sharing her journey, it gives us all reason to
    stop and see our lives in context.

I have not caught up with the posts, but I am wishing everyone a healthy day of wise choices, where you are the
    first priority of your life!

DH and I have both recovered from food poisoning, and then a cold and rainy short lakeside stay.
    The peace, the quiet, the water steps away, and the music of the birds were all rejuvenating,
    even if the lake was not at its finest.

Back to tackle the plans for the near future, the sabbatical funding, the problems of demented parent and dysfunctional sibs,
    oh yeah....but it is not my life, nor will I let it all define me.

Made lots of contacts with old friends....feels great.

I have a new walking machine - and it is almost too big for my basement.....I may not be able to use all its incline features without digging out the floor....our basement only has 7 foot ceilings!

On to figure out the challenges of life, and conquer them!

Best to you all,

BJ, SWOnt.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,743 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    been busy busy busy....my darn fit bit isnt holding its charge well, think it might be time to get a new one.. will save up for that..
    did 2 loads of laundry, mowed the lawn, went and invited my dad to dinner out on Saterday, went and checked on my DFIL got his laundry and put his cookies out. make a spice cake,made DH dinner and lunch and did some of packing for the trip...
    I am pooped...
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hello dear ladies. I know it may sound outrageous to a lot of you but it felt so good to me. Ever since I developed MS, I developed a particular sleep pattern. It doesn't matter how tired I am when I wake up in the morning or if I have a sleepless night, my body will wake up around 7 PM and i'm not really tired until around 2 AM. For the last month or so I haven't got a good nights sleep due to getting up and going to the bathroom numerous, numerous times. I don't drink anything after around 6 PM except a teeny amount of water with my bedtime meds of which I take at 10 PM. But I will get up about 5 or 6 times to pee! Well last night I went to bed at 2 as usual and my husband woke me up at 1:20! I had gotten up once to pee. It felt so good. I didn't do anything different so I guess I can just consider it a gift from God.

When our oldest grand daughter was about 3 or 4 we had her for a week. Boy did I organize and super plan for that week. I wanted it to be perfect for her. I decided that a couple of activities we could do for the week was to make an album about community helpers. Our week started out with making cookies, we made chocolate chip and oatmeal from fresh. Then we decorated bags, I had learned my lesson and let her do the decorating. Then we went to the different community helpers and delivered the cookie bags and took her picture of her giving these bags to these people. Well her personality is so, so different than what her younger sisters is at that point. She just wouldn't do it, hiding behind my legs. We went to see the fiermem, my doctor, preacher, librarian, etc. Now my youngest DGD, she is quite the spunky one and I just can't take her being here without her parents. She started ballet lessons this week and I hope it can settle her down a little.

Gloria, I will be curious to see what the Biggest Loser diet is. Is this what they feed the contestants on the show? They loose so much weight on the show. But of course they exercise all day long.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    Options
    shhhhh~ Father's day is coming ,and even though it wont be here in time, I ordered the DH a fitbit flex.. and I ordered myself another one in pink....
    Hopefully he enjoys his as much as I enjoy mine.. I know he will crank about it, and then will be into once I have to set it up for him:laugh: should arrive midweek next week...
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options

Gloria, I will be curious to see what the Biggest Loser diet is. Is this what they feed the contestants on the show? They loose so much weight on the show. But of course they exercise all day long.

Joyce, Indiana

Here's a link that gives you a general idea. It's pretty much the general lots of fruits and veggies, lean proteins, whole foods, etc. I've done some research previously and think if I have a good in hand and follow according to the letter of the law, I'll have the best chance at success. I just hope I don't have to give up my Skinny Pop habit completely :tongue: http://www.biggestloser.com/nutrition/healthy-foods

Not sure if I'll be able to follow exactly while we're on vacation but I'll be reading the book when I'm not driving and doing my best until we get back and I fire up the engines :smile:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, ladies,

Long walk with 2 good friends at a state park to begin the day, planted cucumber and a couple more tomatoes then over to Gwen's........more dr. appts for her tomorrow. DD sent pics, she found a new foal this am in one of the stalls. Over 14,000 steps.....pretty good for me.

Will be an early night; after two good ones, last night was maybe 4hrs. of actual sleep.

Mariah looks like a real sweetheart! Best to her, hoping chemo goes as well as possible, got to run; race meeting tonight.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic, drenching rain off and on today
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Gail :smile: So glad to hear your boss is feeling better! Noel isn’t afraid of thunderstorms, but my first Shih Tzu was terrified of them, I would have to hold her like a baby, wish they would have had the thunder shirts back then! We`ve had a couple of nights of horrible storms, how is your way?

Kathy in NJ :smile: Glad you found us again:flowerforyou: , when the posts get to 500, it rolls over to a new thread, at the bottom on the last post it will have a place to click to take you to the rollover. Every month Barbie starts a new thread, she will post a link to it the last day of the month, just click and there we will be:bigsmile: ! Great goals, and yes, vacations are very important:bigsmile: :glasses: !

Jb :smile: Beautiful pic of your family!!! Mariah looks like she adores her daddy:love: !!!

Gloria :smile: I will be interested in hearing how you like this new diet, let us know please!!

Suzy :smile: When is your appt. with the Dr.? I was trying to lose weight when I found out I had hypothyroidism, of course back then I was 132 and I thought I should be 112:huh: , (oh how I wish I was 132 now!:sad: ) Once they started me on Synthroid I felt a lot better, and the weight slowly came off, then I was put on Paxil and gained 80 pounds in 4 months:explode: , that is another story for another time! Hope your appt. is soon and you get some answers! Have your Dr. check your Vit. D level too!

Sylvia :smile: I love the idea of feeding your fitbit, I think I need to feed mine too:bigsmile: ! Hope you`re feeling okay!

Anamika :smile: What a fabulous attitude you have:bigsmile: !

Heather :smile: I love scones:heart: , don`t have them very often though and clotted cream…oh yes:love: !!! I just want to come and visit you and have your delicious meals…I always get hungry reading your posts! I`ll bring wine and some smelly chesse:tongue::happy: !!!

Vicki :smile: I sometimes get confused too when my reliable schedule gets moved:angry: , if something always was done on Thursday and it gets moved to Wednesday, I loose track of my days:grumble: ! I`m glad you found your scale, I would want to weigh on the same one too!

Meg :smile: Oh I feel for DD #2, having to have her wisdom teeth out….ouch. Of course I was in my 30`s when I had mine out, I was miserable for weeks:ohwell: , my daughter was 18 when hers came out, she ate a cheeseburger the next day:huh: :laugh: ! 26 cents off a gallon of gas, that is fabulous!!! I could come to your dinner on Saturday, I`ll bring wine and smelly cheese too if you like:bigsmile: !

Jacqueline :smile: Sounds like you`re getting a great workout in! I bet Michele can give you some pointers on the Polar FT7.

Jane Martin :smile: Congrats on the upcoming new bundle of joy:love::flowerforyou: !!!

Bj :smile: Glad you and DH are feeling better:flowerforyou: ! Digging out the basement floor doesn’t sound like a good thing!:noway: Good for you not letting the “stuff” define who you are!!!

Alison :smile: How long have you had your fitbit? I`ve had mine forever and never a problem with it keeping a charge, of course I have the fitbit ultra, they don`t even make these anymore:laugh: ! Actually a pink fitbit sounds very sassy:smokin: !!! I`m sure your DH will love it once he gets used to it!

Joyce :smile: My goodness, what a wonderful sleep you had!!! My youngest granddaughter is a handful too, never ending supply of energy, sometimes I get tired just being around her:laugh: . She is also taking dance classes, her recital is next week.

Yanniejannie :smile: I sleep around 5 to 5 ½ hours a night, when I get more than that I`m so excited!!! Great way to start the day with good friends and a walk:happy: !

We are getting ready to have yet another storm:angry: , last night I went out to dinner with the kids, it had just started storming when we left the restaurant. I live 10 minutes away, it took me almost an hour to get home:noway: . It was monsoon rains, couldn`t see a thing, I had to pull off the road twice, the ditches looked like swimming pools, it was horrible! I was so thankful to get in my driveway, I could literally feel the tension leaving my shoulders. Don`t mind driving in the rain but these storms lately have been putting out inches of rain in a short amount of time…yuck!

Hope everyone has a wonderful relaxing evening! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in stormy NC:grumble:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I had time to read all the posts and send hugs to all of you. This has been a busy day with a lot of dog walking and two line dance classes. Every Thursday we practice for two and a half hours to prepare for our performance at the county fair. When I got home, the dogs were waiting for the long walk we usually take mid afternoon. I spent my lunch break talking on the phone while fixing lunch and eating. Now it’s time for bed.

:flowerforyou: My 90 year old cousin who has just gotten home after a few days in the hospital and 20 days at rehab complained to me that she still felt weak. When I suggested good nutrition and rest, she said she was eating pizza and that was nutritious because it had cheese and tomato.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

209940qfy499fhgm.png

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: ...25,000 steps today
    4 minute plank----two line dance classes
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks I have begun drinking 2 litres of water a day. I drink ( 2) 500 ml bottles in the morning and then the other 2 (500 ml) after lunch, plus whatever else I am drinking. I think this has helped me to flush out toxins, etc. from my system. I gave up coffee and alcohol too, and don't seem to miss it too much. It is for such a good cause...my health. Good luck and I wonder if any one else has tips on nutritional things that help with weight loss::flowerforyou:

I drink a lot of water (nine glasses a day) and have given up alcohol and caffeine.....when I started on MFP I examined my food diary every day and looked for big calorie items to eliminate and substituted lower calorie more nutritious food....as my nutrition improved, my energy level increased and the more active I became, the more weight I lost.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I hit 10,861 steps on my fitbit tonight! I'm so happy! It buzzed and it's little lights flashed! Yippee. Now, to do it all again tomorrow.

Sylvia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,365 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of a band workout today (DVD). Tomorrow I'm planning to take the deep water class then maybe go to mahjongg since the weather doesn't look all that great...and besides we need to wait for more landscape fabric to come in

Renny - so sorry you weren't feeling well. Will be eagerly awaiting the news from you

Exercised today then went to Food Lion (real cose to me) to get some golden Grahams and made Vince these "indoor smores". Personally, I think I should have let the chocolate cool more. Went to volunteer at the Green room then we went to that car place for Vince. He enjoyed it...some of the cars....The cheap ones are ONLY something like $50,000. Then we went to Home Depot so Vince could pick up more of the landscape holders then stopped at Aldi so I could get him his corn chips (and I wanted cucumbers)

Maybe tomorrow after taking my aluminum to the Humane Society I'll stop at Bi-Lo to get the things on sale (before deep water)

CynthiaT - good for you walking, but it probably is best to put it on the back burner until you get the knee. Any idea when that'll happen?

Heather - you can come cook for me any time at all. Yup, FAMILIES!!! Do you maybe have more than one freezer?

Kathy in NJ - welcome back! What part of NJ area are you in?

jb - thanks so much for sharing those pics. Makes me feel even closer to Mariah. Those sure are big wide smiles

Gloria - oh, don't stop eating altogether, your body will most likely go into starvation mode. I wouldn't be at all surprise if you see yourself losing now that Aaron is out of school. You've had so much stress with his school and now that it's over you won't have that stress any more.

Meg - what can I tell you about Jessica baking for me? "Once a mother, always a mother". To be honest, I don't think she'd even think about it! But that's probably because we've been thru it already. Like we thought of the fact that she won't have any furniture for us to sit on when we get up there. Then she said "well, you can bring up folding chairs". Talk about uncomfortable! I think I'd rather sit on the floor....lol I do plan to bring up my plastic canvas project and I'll probably work on the blanket in the car. You're so right, it IS so easy to get into bad habits again. The place where you get gas credits, do you get to accumulate them for a few months? One store by us lets you accumulate them for 3 months, the other store doesn't.

Alison - what a thoughtful gift you are giving your dh! Thanks for reminding me about father's day. I'm thinking that I might give Vince tickets to go to the race in Bristol. Now I need to find out when it is

DeeDee- I used to have the Polar FT7. Don't any more. Now I have one by timex. You've been having bad storms??? We only had a sprinkling today. The clouds looked real dark, but nothing came down.

barbie - when your cousin said pizza was nutritious, I could just see your eyes rolling....lol

Michele in NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    About ready for bed...................forgot to mention earlier that when I was planting I had a pileated woodpecker (the huge red crested "Woody Woodpecker" kind) in the backyard today just pecking away on a pine tree branch; even snapped a pic--- too far away for it to be good, but it sure made my day! He was a very handsome fellow!!!

Gym first, then Gwen's dr. visit tomorrow.

yanniejannie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gloria, thanks for the link to the Biggest Loser diet.

It has bee n such a beautiful day today, just the right temperature. I sure hope I can get this temperature in October while we are in Panama City beach, low 80's. We have a very old miniature golf course here in town. Apparently it is one of the 5 oldest courses in America. It has the typical water wheel, shooting ball through cannon, over bridge, etc. Over the years it has been a a sad state of disrepair but we have continues to go to it anyway just because of all the memories it has for us as a family over the years. So we went tonight. I was pleased to see that a lot of the carpet on the holes have been changed and they have been changed to nice sunny, bright fun colors such as hot pink, purple and the typical green. But there are still a couple of holes that look like they haven't been changed in a while. And the wood barriers that surround each hole are also nice fun colors. But the actual holes they have kept the original integrity of them. Charlie has always prided himself in his accuracy in reading the holes and making some really great scores, rarely making over par and his competivienes has taught our daughters through the years to always try their best and stay up with us. I was never as good as Charlie but I could hold my own. Par is 45 and all 4 of us, daughters and us, have all been known to get a score in the 30s before. So we go tonight, a little unhappy to see the cost was $6/game but still that is less than the other mini golf courses in town. Anyway, I beat him! And I didn't just beat him, I slaughtered him. He took it just OK. I don't know if it is his early Parkinsons that took his game off a little bit or his beta blocker after his heart attack. He has always said after the heart attack and having to go on the beta blocker it just makes him feel sluggish. He has physically gotten use dot the idea of having a heart rate in the 50s but that doesn't mean he has to like it. He can still keep up with anyone else in whatever he does so I have never seen it keep him down or make him sluggish, just right after they initially started it last March. I know I don't feel it when my heart rate is 48, I feel normal.

I took a picture of the score card and posted it on facebook. Michelle says I should frame it but I'm afraid that would be just to much of a slap in the face to him. I'm sure he will make sure we have other opportunities this summer to try to increase his score. I don't want to make him feel bad. One thing he did differently was that he always likes to go last so that he can watch and see how our balls take the course. And I made him go first. So maybe that was the difference. I don't want to hurt his ego but it did feel really good to beat him. I just had to keep it in a little bit.

So what do you girls do when you are beating your husband at something that he normally wins?

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I missed yesterday and wow read everyone's posts and responded to some... Ladies thinking about a cruise, sounds like fun!

Bebubble – I am from California too, but way north, in Alameda County - congrats on the clothing NSV:smile:

Joyce – did you peek at my bucket list and steal some of it??? LOL:laugh:

DeeDee – lavender walls, the one thing I wanted as a young teen – never got them; now don’t want them.

Sherry – donate!!!!

Alison – you are a saint!

Gardengail – sorry to hear about your boss – sending good thoughts his way! What is a thunder shirt? later posts - glad boss is doing better, and I just can not imagine getting Levi in a thunder shirt, but since we don't have thunder I don't need to worry much.

Margaret – I love the picture of your garden as a pet! :smile:

Tere – 51 lbs in 2 weeks sounds like a typo or someone who had something cut off! But I am so far from a medical person!! Has he changed his diet? I know super heavy folks seem to lose quick at first… *** I just read Meg’s post that as a retired cardiac nurse this is right on target – she’s the go to gal on this one!***
    I am so sorry to hear about all the challenges but tomorrow (6/13) is a full moon and it is called a honey moon because of it’s color and it is supposed to be romantic, so maybe you and SO should take a walk in the light of the honey moon…:love:

Cleo – what a great start –restart!

Heather – I love hearing what they say after skype is “turned off” – your meals sound wonderful! Sorry to hear about DSIL and DSILS ….
    Beth – I am so happy for your DS!!! Hopefully the kitchen slave –ness will lighten up as you all figure out the specific triggers.

Vicki – walking to and from work is great!

Eileen – oh dear, floods are awful!

Carol – thinking of you!

Barbie – you are an inspiration!

Kathy – welcome

JB – what great pictures! Maraih is lucky to have such a great family .

Suzy – I love that you are grading yourself on your goals.

Anamika – what is an IGCSE student?

Heather – we have something we call scones but they are not like yours they are closer to a UK biscuit, they are sweeter than yours and we don’t have clotted cream. I wish I could grow rhubarb it is one of my favorites but the climate is not right and it is very pricy here – kinda wilted stocks for $5US a pound.

off to bed:yawn: it has been a long busy day and there is another one coming tomorrow..
    smiles Kim
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Meg: I don’t have a date yet for the knee replacement. The orthopedic surgeon wanted me to lose 20 kg (44 lb.) first. I’m almost there, though my weight loss stalls very often at the moment. :grumble: I hope maybe in the fall. Hope your daughter’s extraction goes well. I had all four of mine out when I was about 30; no problems at all.
    JB: lovely photos! :heart:
    Alison: try e-mailing Fitbit with your question. I hear great things about the customer service; apparently they more or less replace devices at the drop of a hat. It could save you some money.
    Michele: yes, I avoid walking like the plague; I just try it once in a while to see how it goes as I lose weight. I haven’t really noticed any improvement; I think the cartilage is too far gone. :cry: I bike everywhere so I don’t have to walk.

Sleep: lately I’ve been only sleeping about 6 hours a night; not enough for me. :yawn: I wonder whether the beta blocker has anything to do with it.
    HRMs: I was just considering buying a new one but got put on the beta blocker, which makes a HRM more or less useless. Will see what the cardiologist says next week.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

P.S. This morning someone said I was looking so "narrow". :laugh: I'm a long way from "narrow", but I'll take the compliment!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Gloria - and anyone else who is on a plateau like me - have a look at this post and thread:

In the Getting Started section

MireyGal76 - In 5 weeks you'll lose 10 lbs ..... why is it not working?

Great stats. Hope it helps people.

Remember - if you are not weighing and measuring everything you are not doing it. (Message to self) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    slept well and my mind is racing....trying to get things together in the next couple of weeks, but had an AHA moment. my DB and I are going up to New Hampshire next weekend, there are some things he needs to show me about the place we are staying, and then we will go down to the cottage in Hampton and do work there...but I figured if I have stuff packed, non perishables , clothes etc... why not take them up and leave them, since we will be back in less than a week.
    Now my friend Jen and her kids and mom will be there all day on the Saterday.. they have food allergies so ,now what I am going to have to do is plan for that too..I will make pasta salad (no mayo) buy applegate organic chicken or turkeybreast, and wraps to have for lunch and then will do grilled chicken and veggies for dinner.. but that means more planning:noway:
    I figure if I go grocery shopping next thursday for the non perishables ,and then either the weds or thursday after for the perishable stuff that will work, take the non perishables up with me next weekend...
    It is alot of prep work ,but want everything to go well and everyone to have a great time..
    thinking of picking up a couple of board games to have in case it rains
    there will be no internet service at either place.. so that will be interestong

I did get one free fitbit flex already when mine went south after having it for a month or so..i cant remember how long I have had it now, but cant live with out it.. and I just hope the DH likes his