Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options

Replies

• Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    about 10 years ago I was on it. combined with low carb diet and exercise I lost about 30 pounds in about 6 weeks. then i got off it and stuck to the diet and exercise. (added in healthy carbs like fruit and grains but upped my exercise) and lost another 30 pounds. was able to maintain that until I graduated law school and got a job that required longer hours with a lot of catered unhealthy meals. plus was back to my family where food is the center of everything. took me about 2 years to gradually gain it all back. so I would say the best way to do it is to work out and eat healthy and ease off of it. of course if you aren't on it and still have bad habits you would gain weight. why wouldn't you??
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    about 10 years ago I was on it. combined with low carb diet and exercise I lost about 30 pounds in about 6 weeks. then i got off it and stuck to the diet and exercise. (added in healthy carbs like fruit and grains but upped my exercise) and lost another 30 pounds. was able to maintain that until I graduated law school and got a job that required longer hours with a lot of catered unhealthy meals. plus was back to my family where food is the center of everything. took me about 2 years to gradually gain it all back. so I would say the best way to do it is to work out and eat healthy and ease off of it. of course if you aren't on it and still have bad habits you would gain weight. why wouldn't you??

So true! I can't tell you how many pounds I've gained back without phentermine having been in the mix. It all comes down to maintaining the lifestyle changes once you lose it, no matter how you lose it.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Destiny, please don't take this the wrong way, but how do you know that someone you don't know personally would send you something safe? I really recommend you get it from a doctor. If you only have a few pounds to lose, I don't think a doctor would give it to you. It's really a tool for people that are fairly overweight.
  • 2014goal_
    2014goal_ Posts: 5
    Options
    I have taken it before in the past and I did gain the weight back due to not eating healthy! I started again on May 14, 2014 and after 9 days I lost 8 lbs with eating better along with exercise! I had to stop right after the 9 days due to surgery along with anesthesia and I was able to keep my weight down for those 3 weeks without the pills because I was eating right!! I was just able to go back on my Phentermine prescribed by my PCP and I am back to dropping weight again :)
  • idojpdx
    Options
    Anyone have any adipex that you don't want . I don't use it often have used it in the past but not around that doctor anymore. I exercise daily I only want 2-3 weeks worth. Just a boost just a little pep to help loose last stubborn 5-8 pounds. I know the weight comes back which has happened to me but like I said anyone have any they don't want. Destinys.lowe@gmail.com

Phen is a controlled substance. This seems more than a little illegal.
  • bremca28
    bremca28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Arden, I don't think a doctor would give it to you if you only have 14 pounds to lose. They have some kind of guidelines; not sure if it is BMI or what. I know you have to be either obese or pretty far up there on the overweight side.

Like idojpdex, I also see a doctor who specializes in this field. I know some people buy it illegally on the internet, but I would never take it unless I was monitored. At every visit, my doctor listens to my heart, takes my blood pressure, sometimes gives me an EKG,. She asks for blood test results frequently, just to check things out. I just couldn't do it any other way.

Untrue I was barely ten pounds over and my doctor gave it to me. Very easy to get. I said hey I quit smoking and now I replaced it with eating and I'm turning into a huge blob fat *kitten*, she said her take this for a month to get your eating in control. I had been on it twice and the first time at 145 a doctor suggested it because he felt I was so fat (jerk)
    I have kept the weight off, so heart problems, took half in am and pm
  • idojpdx
    Options
    Arden, I don't think a doctor would give it to you if you only have 14 pounds to lose. They have some kind of guidelines; not sure if it is BMI or what. I know you have to be either obese or pretty far up there on the overweight side.

Like idojpdex, I also see a doctor who specializes in this field. I know some people buy it illegally on the internet, but I would never take it unless I was monitored. At every visit, my doctor listens to my heart, takes my blood pressure, sometimes gives me an EKG,. She asks for blood test results frequently, just to check things out. I just couldn't do it any other way.

Untrue I was barely ten pounds over and my doctor gave it to me. Very easy to get. I said hey I quit smoking and now I replaced it with eating and I'm turning into a huge blob fat *kitten*, she said her take this for a month to get your eating in control. I had been on it
    twice and the first time at 145 a doctor suggested it because he felt I was so fat (jerk)
    I have kept the weight off, so heart problems, took half in am and pm

I'm not sure if this story illustrates irresponsible physicians or the relative safety of phentermine.
  • mwelag09
    mwelag09 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started taking the supplement in August of 2010 and I quit taking it in April of 2011. I also did weight watchers while on the pill. Once I got off of it, I did not gain the weight back. My weight has fluctuated here and there, but that is because of my own eating habits or lack of awareness. I will not say that the pill is the be all end all, and I am very much aware that diet and exercise is the best and most effective way to lose weight and stay healthy. However, I am a firm believer that people actually do need help. I am not saying that it should be a pill, or Jenny Craig, or weight watchers, or whatever, I think this decision is best made by the person. Some people can count calories and exercise and do just fine, some people need a support group to reassure and coach them, other people need the pill to help them adapt and change their habits. I am one of those people. I am an extremely motivated and driven person, except when it comes to weigh loss. I do really well for a little while and then I do terrible. I am not able to stay consistent on my own. I understand that it did not take a day to put on and it will take more than a day to take off, but having my appetite suppressed allows me to consider what I am about to eat because I am not eating just to eat. It gives me gradual results which allows me to stick with it. The first time I took it, I lost 60 pounds and I am still down about that much. I will say that it should be used as an aide, not as the only thing doing the work. I have known people who have gained all of their weight back after getting off of it, and I also know people who have been off of it for years and are still maintaining their weight. I understand both sides of this argument, but I don't feel it's any different than taking a sleeping pill for sleep or whatever. Yes we all need to sleep, but I am working extremely hard to be healthy. If this allows me to do that, than so be it. I eat healthier than a lot of people I know, they just don't take a pill. I think if you use it as an aide, learn to eat healthy, and implement exercise, then you are using it for its proper purpose. If it makes you happy and helps you get where you are going, I wouldn't worry about what the consensus says.
  • christiedominguez
    Options
    Has anyone experienced being very emotional? Quiet? Not having the desire to really talk with anyone?
  • scubabum9
    scubabum9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I was on it about 17 years ago, when it was prescribed in combination with fenfluramine, and lost around 50 lbs. Then I lost another 10 after coming off it, and was at my goal, a size 4. I kept the weight off for 10 years by continuing to keep a food diary and exercising regularly, until I had a baby and became more sedentary. I also was dealing with a bit of postpartum depression, which sapped my motivation and energy. I had no problems while I was on phen, and I had none when I quit. Yes, it was harder to control my appetite, but I was motivated by the big weight loss and great lifestyle changes I had made.

After many attempts to lose the regained weight over the past 6 years, I'm back on phen. Critics on these phen threads always say you will absolutely regain the weight if you use diet drugs. That's absolutely true--if you lapse into old habits. But I have also regained a lot of weight lost by normal dieting and exercise, and I regained it quicker than I ever did after my phentermine diet. That leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with the drug, and everything to do with sustained habits. Phentermine is a tool to control an out of control appetite, and nothing else. Weight loss maintenance hinges on continuing to exercise and watch your diet after you've reached goal, whether you take phen or not.

Well said, ido. But don't waste your breath, if you know what I mean. If you talk about taking diet pills here, the only thing you can do is defend it. It's not even worth your time. I can't remember, did you join the FB group? If not, it's a place you can ask questions, discuss concerns, etc. Most of all be free of this back and forth.

What is the facebook group, can someone send me the link? I started taking it last Saturday, and I'd love to meet some people doing the same!
  • LisaBear1986
    LisaBear1986 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started Phentermine in February 2014. Started at 261. Today I am 233.5. (I had some slip-ups - stopped watching my diet/exercise/taking meds - for a couple weeks.) My mom also started Phentermine in February 2014 and started at 364. She lives a sedentary life and is now at 324.9. The unpleasant side effects would be the insomnia, which is getting better; dry mouth, which I use ACT Dry Mouth lozenges, sugar free jolly ranches, and drink water throughout my day trying to eliminate caffeine; and irritability (I'm a stubborn person as it is, so when I notice that I am worse than usual, is when I check myself). My friend Angelica lost 45lbs in 6 months which this, which is where I even learned about this medication. Labs were drawn prior, a 1 1/2 hour session with the physician was provided regarding education with this medication and diet prior to prescribing, and vital sign monitoring is all done regularly.
    Some people are for it, some people aren't....it's your own personal opinion and you have the right to it.
    Don't put people down because they are doing something you don't agree with. Worry about you.
  • millie15734
    millie15734 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I am so glad to hear you have a doctor who is helping you. It makes such a difference. And are you logging food and exercise here? It sure keeps me honest. I don't want to see that I scarfed down a bunch of cookies on paper, so I don't eat them.

You are doing great!
  • OOOOCassy
    OOOOCassy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I started my Phen journey on 6/30 for the first time ever along with a doctors medically supervised nutrition plan. So far so good but the dry mouth is horrible as all get out! I am tracking my calories on here as well.
  • idojpdx
    Options
    Hello! I started my Phen journey on 6/30 for the first time ever along with a doctors medically supervised nutrition plan. So far so good but the dry mouth is horrible as all get out! I am tracking my calories on here as well.

That will get better in time, Cassie, but may never completely let up. It's the only side effect I ever had. Just drink lots of water, which you should be doing anyway. Good luck!
  • heyitsnicolelee
    heyitsnicolelee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Phentermine worked great for me for about a week then slowly stopped working. I still take it but I can't say I actually notice a difference in my appetite.
  • LilBunnyMichMich
    Options
    I just started taking it yesterday. I'm interested in reading other people's experience with it . I hear you can lose a lot of weight with it if you make a healthy change to your eating habits and exercise.

My question first is that once you're weaned off of it, but you continue exercising and stay within 100 calories of your calorie range, did you feel super hungry all the time again?

My second question is did you gain some , all , or none of the weight back?

Also does anyone else feel warmer? And like they've had six cups of really strong coffee? I have so much more energy than before. Normally I'm tired all the mother flippin' time, but today and yesterday, I felt like the energizer bunny.
  • LisaBear1986
    LisaBear1986 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That's what phentermine does...gives you a jolt of energy, because it's a stimulant. The side effect that I actually really HATE is the dry mouth. It drives me bonkers, especially because I have to do a lot of talking, so I drink a crap load of water, chew sugar free gum, suck on sugar free jolly ranchers, and use those ACT lozenges for dry mouth, but even then it doesn't do a whole lot.

I stopped taking phentermine for about a month, and I gained a little back (maybe 8lbs) because I stopped caring for myself (not watching what I was eating).

Hope this helps somewhat.
  • 1974lynnette
    1974lynnette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just got a prescription for Phen yesterday. I didn't ask for it. I take 20mg of Paxil per day & I have gained close to 50 lbs over the past 3 years on it. I have been actively logging her for 60 days & I've only lost 6 lbs. I actually asked the doctor to take me off the Paxil because I'm always so tired & my mind feels foggy. She lowered my dosage of Paxil & gave me Phen to help with my weight loss as she doesn't want me to stop taking the Paxil completely. I've had blood work done & I am going to be monitored closely by my doctor.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    My doctor cuts her patients dose down gradually over six months.

I did have that happen when I was getting the prescriptions from my family doctor. He didn't tell me what to do. I would stop taking the Phentermine, and be really hungry all the time.

Now finally, I am seeing a bariatric doctor. I go see her once a month, and she spends lots of time with me and answers all my questions. She doesn't make any suggestions about my food anymore, because I print out my logs from here, and she sees how clean I eat.

I have lost more than I ever lost before with Phentermine, and I have taken it a few times. In fact I weigh about what I did in my 30s. A lot of it has to do with logging food and exercise here.