So you want to start lifting? Great!

Options

Replies

• JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    Really helpful advice in this thread - thank you to those who took the time to help.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yesss. :D<3
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good information for us beginners!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that Fuji. I was wondering what a split was.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • debbie14892
    debbie14892 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Getting in so I can watch the videos later! Thanks for the info!
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Saving for later. Thanks!
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Get a coach.

Or a personal trainer or somebody else that KNOWS how to lift. And by KNOW I mean, someone who actually KNOWS as in; educated or at the very least has been doing it for years and has the body to prove it. Someone who has studied body physiology, nutrition, exercise science etc. Broscience is your worst enemy at the gym.

My weight lifting coach used to say: "One good rep is worth 3 ****ties." In other words, a single rep with perfect form is worth 3 half-*kitten*, almost-but-not-quite-there, just doing it to get to "10"- reps. A coach or trainer can see what you're doing wrong and can correct you before you start making some bad habits. And keep in mind, different coaches will concentrate on different things- body builders are ideal if you want to look good, strength coaches are it if you want to get strong etc.

Plus, a coach is a great motivator and can provide that extra level of discipline to get you where you want to be.

Awesome post.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    Saving for later
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    What? No love for the power clean?:tongue:

Weight selection for the beginner:
    Stay with an empty bar or lighter (preloaded 10 lb bar, broom, PVC) and do not reps. Add 5-10 lbs and do 5 more. Repeat until your reps slow down or feel like the next set will be too much. Congratulations, you did your first of 3 or 5 sets. Take a break and come back for 2 or 4 more with a break between.

Repeat for each different lift. The next day that you do one of the above lifts add some weight. The following are dukes of thing to start:
    Deads 10-15 lb increments
    Squats 5-10 lbs
    Presses and others 5 lbs

These change based on strength and experience. If 5 lbs is too much then you need fractional plates, 2 inch washer, or baseball weights.

Focus on form, don't mix high and low bar squat techniques, and dont mix programs. Now go lift.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Quick reply so I can grab those videos later. I've been doing the main 5 through stronglifts and made some great gains. Struggling with the OHP though :( I've looked for a couple of videos but that one looks the best I've seen.

Hey, this really helped me - I'm sure there are loads of video links for OHP but I liked the way it was spelt out that basically I was going to suck at this lift for a long time :laugh:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/05/28/strength-training-101-the-overhead-press/
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    following
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Good info. Thanks!!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Joining this post because I want to start lifting, and I have a back injury. Please friend me or message me if you want to :)
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,692 Member
    Options
    Great information. BUMP!
  • mybeesknees
    mybeesknees Posts: 633
    Options
    Thank you for the info.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yep! Good stuff!
    And I think if newbies try just a FEW weight-lifting exercises, see how GOOD and STRONG they feel?
    They'll be hooked! :love:
  • PhatD
    PhatD Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Joining this post because I want to start lifting, and I have a back injury. Please friend me or message me if you want to :)

Injury here too. Both knees gone. Is it possible to concentrate just strictly on upper body? Lifting has been a dream though. I'm so ready to start.