Sexual Assult Prevention Week

Options
Reedern
Reedern Posts: 525 Member
So, we have been in training and discussions this week about sexual assult prevention in the Military and in the civilian world. Really great training. My question for you is this.... what can YOU do to help prevent sexual assults from happening?

The statistics of people reporting an attack is unreal. So many never say anything. Very sad. One fact that was brought to light is the fact that once an assult is reported, it takes roughly 1 1/2 yrs just to complete an investigation. No wonder people don't report it. Who wants to carry that around with them for so long?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    What can *I* do? I teach women how to kick men's arses when they ask me to.
  • Reedern
    Options
    What can *I* do? I teach women how to kick men's arses when they ask me to.

I think self defense classes are a great start!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I can choose not to rape or sexually assault people. That tends to help. You can also help by kicking the everliving **** out of people that do.

*edit for clarity
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    A lot of it will be out of your hands. Much of what is done is unfortunately after the fact. The biggest thing I think you could do is try to have better situational awareness. If you are out somewhere and see someone that seems to be in a vulnerable situation (intoxicated, being hounded by someone who is being too aggressive, etc) ask if they need some assistance.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I can not laugh at rape jokes and loudly express my discomfort with overly sexual/aggressive behavior, rather than write if off as "boys will be boys". ETA: Yes, I realize that men are also victims, I haven't actually encountered a female aggressor. If I did, I would speak just against it just as loudly.

Also, not to fall down the rabbit hole, I am all for situational awareness and self defense -- but that's not preventing the attack from occurring, just fighting it off. The circumstances that would prevent attacks entirely are cultural/psychological in nature.
  • Reedern
    Options
    A lot of it will be out of your hands. Much of what is done is unfortunately after the fact. The biggest thing I think you could do is try to have better situational awareness. If you are out somewhere and see someone that seems to be in a vulnerable situation (intoxicated, being hounded by someone who is being too aggressive, etc) ask if they need some assistance.

This is actually one thing that was discussed a lot. Being aware of your surroundings. having a wingman to look out for you, etc. One point I want to make however, is that it is NOT the fault of the victim no matter the situation.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Back in the late 80's, a gal at my work asked me to walk her to her car. She knew I taught Martial Arts in the evenings. Her ex-husband had been threatening her. I walked her to her car and her ex came out of nowhere with a gun. I took the gun away from him and administered my own beating.

That girl was part of a Woman's Club and asked me if I would come to her club and teach self-defense. I did. Later, several of those women joined my school. 3 of them went on to achieve their Black Belts.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think part of it is culture and teaching people respect and that things like being alone with someone, drinking too much, or how you dress doesn't make it okay. Most people I think know these things but you'd be surprised how often a victim is blamed because of how they dress or some other factor. If you look at countries like India where sexual assaults happen in broad daylight and no one steps in you see how culture can play a role in allowing this to happen or allowing people to think these behaviors are okay. It's more subtle in the US but culture does have an effect.

Disclaimer: Not knocking India. I know not everyone there is bad. Just using that country as an example.
  • Reedern
    Options
    Back in the late 80's, a gal at my work asked me to walk her to her car. She knew I taught Martial Arts in the evenings. Her ex-husband had been threatening her. I walked her to her car and her ex came out of nowhere with a gun. I took the gun away from him and administered my own beating.

That girl was part of a Woman's Club and asked me if I would come to her club and teach self-defense. I did. Later, several of those women joined my school. 3 of them went on to achieve their Black Belts.

You are a true hero!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I can avoid raping people and stopping when my SO asks me to.

I can speak up when I feel that someone is blaming the victim.

I can ask my female friends to be safe and aware when out alone or meeting new guys.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I can avoid raping people and stopping when my SO asks me to.

I can speak up when I feel that someone is blaming the victim.

I can ask my female friends to be safe and aware when out alone or meeting new guys.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    The very first step is to teach your daughter's that they are strong, empowered women who can speak up about right and wrong... Self defense classes are great for any person especially women, of any age. It is amazing the confidence it can bring.

Sadly I believe one of the reasons the reporting rates are so low? Several factors that start with embarrassment, the feeling that they have done something wrong, that they wore the wrong clothes, drank too much or said the wrong things. As much as we know all these factors dont count, we know the scumbag defense attorney is going to try to use all these things against a woman who has been abused. If you have never sat through a trail watching that happen, you are lucky because I promise you it will make you sick to your stomach.
    Another thing I think is huge is people who are not involved should act. You KNOW when something is not right. The hair on your neck stands up or you get that uneasy feeling in your gut. As humans we need to step in and help people make better decisions or at least try to.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Also, not to fall down the rabbit hole, I am all for situational awareness and self defense -- but that's not preventing the attack from occurring, just fighting it off. The circumstances that would prevent attacks entirely are cultural/psychological in nature.

I just had the awareness thing in my mind because I happened to see this on Facebook just the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcLs98NeJY I agree a cultural change would be great, but you can only do your part.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

TheRoadDog is Awesome

Semper Fidelis Road Dog!
  • oniwolf382
    oniwolf382 Posts: 39
    Options
    Don't forget male rape. Too many of those cases don't even get reported due to the stigma around men not wanting to be a victim. I personally was raped multiple times and never reported it. Years have passed, and I regret it. It's messed me up pretty bad. I can only say, men should learn to be more open with those around them, and should know that they are counted as well.
  • Reedern
    Options
    I think part of it is culture and teaching people respect and that things like being alone with someone, drinking too much, or how you dress doesn't make it okay. Most people I think know these things but you'd be surprised how often a victim is blamed because of how they dress or some other factor. If you look at countries like India where sexual assaults happen in broad daylight and no one steps in you see how culture can play a role in allowing this to happen or allowing people to think these behaviors are okay. It's more subtle in the US but culture does have an effect.

Disclaimer: Not knocking India. I know not everyone there is bad. Just using that country as an example.

I agree that way to often, the victim is somehow made out to be responsible for the attack. This makes me so angry. Even if the person has a troubled past, or dresses provocatively or has a few drinks, that does NOT mean they encouraged an attack to happen.
  • Reedern
    Options
    Don't forget male rape. Too many of those cases don't even get reported due to the stigma around men not wanting to be a victim. I personally was raped multiple times and never reported it. Years have passed, and I regret it. It's messed me up pretty bad. I can only say, men should learn to be more open with those around them, and should know that they are counted as well.

You are absolutely right. One of the numbers that they brought up was that 1 in every 33 men is a victim of sexual assult. I am so sorry that you are one of those and I hope that you can find the help you need to live a happy life. God bless you!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Another thing is setting an example for my fellow men and letting them know how heinous such an act is. It is largely men that need to change.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

You are a true hero!

Here is the sad part of the story. This all happened in the Parking Lot of my work. About 60 witnesses and a Security Guard. After I disarmed him and put him down, I turned the weapon over to the Securioty Guard and took the gal to the local Police department. The Police took the stance that, since it was domestic, they couldn't do anything and she would have to get a restraining order. I took this gal to my Parents' home from there and then back to my home to wait for her sister to come pick her up. When I returned to work the next day, I found out that not only did the Security Guard let the Ex go, but he returned his pistol.

That was 1984. Glad things have changed since then. I am still friends with that gal, 30 years later.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    If I see **** like that go down, I do something.

Speaking of just because you don't have a man's plumbing it doesn't mean that you can't rape. If your partner is saying no, and you proceed, that is rape, whether they are a man or a woman. If your partner is saying nothing at all, and you proceed, same thing. The absence of consent is rape.
    I can not rape or sexually assault people. That tends to help. You can also help by kicking the everliving **** out of people that do.

If I misunderstood your post then I'm sorry for calling you out.