1200 cal/day girls! Let's share our diaries!

Options

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Not to be a mood killer, but the reason you "can't control" your snacking is because 1200 calories isn't nearly enough for you. At your height and weight, you could eat 1460 calories per day and lose a pound a week - and that's if you don't exercise. If you do some exercise, you could bump that up to 1650 and still lose a pound a week. If you work out a lot, it would be even more.

Thank you for posting this! Even though the OP will most likely ignore it.

Or view the poster as a naysayer, party pooper, mean, etc.

Just to give the other side of the argument..I've been losing on 1200 (Eating back some, not all of my exercise cals) Just do what works for you. I've tried the upping thing and for me it didn't result in any loss (nothing but gains - and I gave it 6 months) I'm also slightly taller than the OP. Again..just do what works for you.
    Just to hit you back on that, good luck when your body hits a plateau because you're not eating enough and it just starts to store whatever little nutrients you're putting into it!

What works for you, sure, but telling them the cold hard truth is more important.

BUUUUUUUT most people will ignore it.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Not to be a mood killer, but the reason you "can't control" your snacking is because 1200 calories isn't nearly enough for you. At your height and weight, you could eat 1460 calories per day and lose a pound a week - and that's if you don't exercise. If you do some exercise, you could bump that up to 1650 and still lose a pound a week. If you work out a lot, it would be even more.

Just to give the other side of the argument..I've been losing on 1200 (Eating back some, not all of my exercise cals) Just do what works for you. I've tried the upping thing and for me it didn't result in any loss (nothing but gains - and I gave it 6 months) I'm also slightly taller than the OP. Again..just do what works for you.
    Just to hit you back on that, good luck when your body hits a plateau because you're not eating enough and it just starts to store whatever little nutrients you're putting into it!

What works for you, sure, but telling them the cold hard truth is more important.

must be great to be perfect
  • rairaebby
    rairaebby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add me. My limit is set at 1600, but I try to keep it under 1300. Snacking is what kills me too. I'm a SAHWM (stay at home working mom) so I'm here home a lot. I need more motivation. Help me please.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Hey, for a 5"10 girl, 1200 is very very likely (read: "POSITIVE") loo low an intake for you.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me (you are not) or bedridden (I'll go out on a limb and assume no), it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

For reference, I am eating 1700-1800 at five feet tall, and still losing weight.

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options

And how much were you eating when you tried upping your cals? If you didn't lose anything, but got "gains" that means you were eating enough to bulk or do a body recomp.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hey, for a 5"10 girl, 1200 is very very likely (read: "POSITIVE") loo low an intake for you.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me (you are not) or bedridden (I'll go out on a limb and assume no), it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

For reference, I am eating 1700-1800 at five feet tall, and still losing weight.

Go to

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.

Yes, yes, and more yes.
  • jkwolly
    Options

And how much were you eating when you tried upping your cals? If you didn't lose anything, but got "gains" that means you were eating enough to bulk or do a body recomp.
    Most likely not weighing/measuring everything.
  • jkwolly
    Options

PARTY POOPERRRRRR!!!!!!!!
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My diary is open for everybody, feel free to look =)
  • lshabazz
    lshabazz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would love to add you. I'm really struggling How do I add you`•.¸¸.•´
  • lthomp5
    lthomp5 Posts: 2
    Options
    Make sure your NET calories are a minimum of 1200 calories. If you go below that your body will go into starvation mode and hang on to every bit of fat. I actually had to eat more to lose weight. 1200 is REALLY low . I eat 1400-1500 calories on my rest day and 2000 calories on workout days (net 1400).
  • lshabazz
    lshabazz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would love to add you. I'm really struggling How do I add you`•.¸¸.•´
  • jessica_120214
    jessica_120214 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If I eat more than the 1200, unless its earned back from exercise, I gain. That's how MY body works. Everyone is different.
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Please add me too. MFP has me targeted for 1200 per day, but on advise of my wonderful trainer, I am going higher on workout days. Lazy, do nothing days are fine on 1200. The problem is - lazy, do nothing days - those are the days I am apt to eat more. Those are the days I am going out to dinner, at parties, etc, so I don't have time to workout, but poor food choices are plentiful. So, I end up backwards, low calories on workout days and higher calories on rest days. Oh boy- gotta work on getting this right. BTW - I am short and over 50 years old - small framed, but overweight. My diary is open to friends. Appreciate any feedback.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Go to

+1.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Add me! My diary is open and I stay around 1200
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If I eat more than the 1200, unless its earned back from exercise, I gain. That's how MY body works. Everyone is different.

Some people's metabolisms do end up operating this way if they have eaten too low cals for too long. Really most of us are the same barring certain ilnesses or metabolisms that have learned to respond differenttly from too long at too low a cal intake.

Search

Thermogenesis
    PCOS
    Thyroid

on the boards for a few of the very limited people who are actually different and one of them is even a temporary situation that can be worked up to higher cal goals.

Don't suffer at low cal goal for longer than you have to from a lack of knowledge. The knowledge is all out on these boards for you to either 1) figure out why your body needs so few cals to respond and seek out medical treatment you might need or 2) figure out how to work up to higher cals for weight loss which will translate into proper nutrition while you keep your weight going down or at your goal weight when the time comes.
  • tzdani
    tzdani Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about increasing my calories, too. I've foolishly been trying to keep my overall calorie intake at roughly 1200, not looking at it as net. The first week I lost 6 lbs, and then as the weeks went on, I've gained 1-2 back (it fluctuates). Since I'm burning quite a bit additional excercising 1.5-2 hours a day, I do wonder if I'm messing with my metabolism. Part of me wants to go back to my old ways of exercising and eating whatever I wanted, because I did lose 53 lbs. prior to MFP, but... MFP is addicting, so I'm not entirely sure that's the correct choice, either.
  • newyorkmo
    newyorkmo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 while losing for four months. now at BMI of 19.5 and maintaining at 1400 per day most days. feel free to add me : )
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

971.gif