People claiming to be full in tiny calorie amounts

Options

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Another thing that can happen is that someone can get fat eating very calorie dense foods, so they never actually ate a huge volume of food, but the high calorie density of those foods still put them in a surplus and they gained weight... then they go on a diet and that includes switching to eating healthy... well the same volume of food that they're used to, if they switch to low calorie density, high protein/high fibre/low fat/low carb foods then that volume of food probably will only add up to 1000 calories if that... quite a lot of people when switching to eating healthy, calorie controlled balanced diets do end up eating a greater volume of food, because the calorie density is much lower.

That ^^

I was wondering about this in reverse. When people give up on their "healthy" diets that involve a high volume of low calorie food and go back to their previous "bad" diets involving mostly calorie dense foods would they actually start eating more because they've become used to a higher volume of food and more nutrients thus exacerbating the re-gain of weight
  • Erinelda
    Erinelda Posts: 96
    Options
    People bashing people because they know people are all different are being silly. We ARE all different, My diet would make some people gag. I am not saying we have a whole lot of difference fuel in to fuel out, but we all have different diets that make us happy and not miserable. So some of the women complaining either need to be comfortable eating less calories until their body gets the drive to eat and screw the haters or find more calorie dense foods. Regardless, they are unhappy because they are eating someone else's diet, probably main stream stuff (low fat, low sugar, low salt, low flavor, low energy, small portion size). And only a few people are happy eating that way.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I eat healthy and clean, its TOUGH for me to consume 1500 calories in a day (and I'm 6'0 270). Its very easy to feel like your starving when you eat crap foods with little to no nutritional value
    See to me this feels like a suggestion that the reason I can't is because I am not eating "healthy and clean". But even if I eat nothing but non starchy vegetables and something with protein (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, beans whatever). Even when my stomach is full to the point of being a bit uncomfortable, my head is still feeling dizzy and I'm still obsessed with food unless I get enough calories in.

Maybe I'm just being defensive and you weren't suggesting that at all, but I find it really hard to believe a 6 foot male finds it super easy to coast through life on 1500 calories. Literally where do you get your energy (so sure we all hope some of it is from our fat stores)? Do you do nothing all day? When you need to do some hard mental or physical work how do you concentrate given you are basically eating the same level as the participants in the Minnesota Starving Experiment?

I'm casting a vote for defensive. You have a thread full of well thought out answers, this being one of them, and you managed to find a way in which to take one as potentially a personal slight.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Another thing that can happen is that someone can get fat eating very calorie dense foods, so they never actually ate a huge volume of food, but the high calorie density of those foods still put them in a surplus and they gained weight... then they go on a diet and that includes switching to eating healthy... well the same volume of food that they're used to, if they switch to low calorie density, high protein/high fibre/low fat/low carb foods then that volume of food probably will only add up to 1000 calories if that... quite a lot of people when switching to eating healthy, calorie controlled balanced diets do end up eating a greater volume of food, because the calorie density is much lower.

That ^^

I was wondering about this in reverse. When people give up on their "healthy" diets that involve a high volume of low calorie food and go back to their previous "bad" diets involving mostly calorie dense foods would they actually start eating more because they've become used to a higher volume of food and more nutrients thus exacerbating the re-gain of weight

I imagine that's entirely possible, which is why most people on here recommend eating the exact same diet you plan to eat for life, without cutting out foods or food groups, just at a deficit.
  • coboltpunch
    Options
    I only cant keep the food down when I take metformin, that stuff kills my appetite.
  • matthehat
    matthehat Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I eat healthy and clean, its TOUGH for me to consume 1500 calories in a day (and I'm 6'0 270). Its very easy to feel like your starving when you eat crap foods with little to no nutritional value
    See to me this feels like a suggestion that the reason I can't is because I am not eating "healthy and clean". But even if I eat nothing but non starchy vegetables and something with protein (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, beans whatever). Even when my stomach is full to the point of being a bit uncomfortable, my head is still feeling dizzy and I'm still obsessed with food unless I get enough calories in.

Maybe I'm just being defensive and you weren't suggesting that at all, but I find it really hard to believe a 6 foot male finds it super easy to coast through life on 1500 calories. Literally where do you get your energy (so sure we all hope some of it is from our fat stores)? Do you do nothing all day? When you need to do some hard mental or physical work how do you concentrate given you are basically eating the same level as the participants in the Minnesota Starving Experiment?
    Or like me they are fat but on their way to becoming thin. I feel satisfied on 1200-1300 calories a day as long as I make sure I eat lots of protein. Then again you'll never find me in a forum *****ing about how I'm not losing any weight.
    Losing weight is pretty easy, I've lost and gained more weight than I currently weigh (and I weigh a LOT). It's not deciding one day that it's just too damn hard to live like this that I find hard, thinking to yourself "what good is being thin if the price is to never think about anything but diets and nutrition and exercise and never get to take an interest in other things because all you can focus on is food and avoiding food and how to get rid of the calories it comes with" and deciding your hobbies and your relationships matter more than the numbers on the scale. That's where I've gotten in trouble.

I think I can avoid that if I eat enough, of course it means I won't lose so fast but at least I'll get to have a life I can actually live for the rest of my life.

I'm still getting kind of obsessive because it's my personality but I'm not having the physical drive to obsess about food so long as I eat enough calories (and carbs to be fair, trying to cut those out makes me just as obsessive).
    I have a desk job, however I go to the gym six days a week. Five days of lifting at the gym a week and six days of cardio. I also do hiking on the weekends. I wasn't personally attacking you in any way. As I stated before, everyones body is different.
    Heres my usual meals. Breakfast: Protein shake, three rice cakes 200 calories. Lunch: Grilled chicken and brown rice, 500 calories. Dinner, Broccoli, tomatoes, chicken and rice 700 calories. For snacks I will have some type of fruits throughout the day.
    So you see I am not starving myself, this isn't some type of magic. I went from eating pizza and fast food (usually about 1500 calories per meal) to having nutritional dense food.
  • russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I find it extremely hard to ever eat 1200cals or even reach 1000, though I have been doing a good job lately - I have to force myself to.

I'm not lying and never would. I'm also on steroids for panhypopituitarism (my pituitary is shot from a brain tumor - I produce absolutely no cortisol and no hormones whatsoever), coumadin (blood thinner), synthroid (because my thyroid, while healthy, doesn't respond to hormones since they don't exist), klonopin, sodium bicarb for tubular acidosis, and topamax for seizures. I happen to also have had anorexia nervosa a few years back, so that ghost is always with me.

I'm almost 1,71cm (5'7"?) and I weigh right now about 56kg, but until two weeks ago, in hospital for an adrenal crisis - I was almost 70kg from the IV corticosteroids and still couldn't eat more than 600cals and had to be fed by tube, with doc's threats and everything, i just couldn't eat, everything went up - it got dangerous so they put the tube in. Some things you just can't control. I've done damage to my body in years of ED and other illness and things I couldn't control, if you don't produce cortisol and you're always underweight from it (because no cortisol means extremely low blood pressure and blood sugar, vomiting up everything you eat from extreme nausea, extreme fatigue, extreme abdominal pain, collapse, etc) and you're a dancer and you can't stomach food - any food - because it makes you sick, how do you even BEGIN to try and eat, even consciously knowing you have to? And when you gain a lot of weight from finally being diagnosed and getting better, and you have to lose it to go back to your normal, healthy weight, and you gain it out of nowhere but you STILL can't magically make your stomach any larger to accommodate larger amounts of food or your brain any more wired to process the signals that a normal person gets in relation to hormones and hunger signals, then what? What do you do? Other than hope that somehow someday some doc is going to figure out the right concoction and you're going to be a normal human able to eat?

Am I lying when I state I honestly find it hard to go past 800-1000 cals? Sometimes I have to force feed myself. Sometimes I have to get my boyfriend to do it for me. My endocrinologist and my hematologist both have links to this diary here on MFP because I gave it to them for supervision and they were interested. And I do love food, I honestly love it. What I hate is how it makes me feel afterwards - tired, nauseus, sick, crying, in pain sometimes, it's hell.

And you know the funny thing, I am not fat now, but in a year or two if I keep having adrenal crisis, no matter how much restriction, if they up my hydrocortisone enough or switch me to prednisone, I might as well become fat or overweight and there will be very little I will be able to do about it because the steroids have very specific side effects that I won't be able to control. And I have to replace this for the rest of my life because my pituitary is 100% shot.
    That scares the **** out of me but then again, I'd rather be alive than fit.

Don't assume things about people because frankly you don't know their medical history and their struggles. I don't understand why anyone would lie about anything, especially on forums where people go to support each other through journeys that are often painful. But maybe I'm just naive.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

You need to stop comparing yourself to other people... yep what you describe is totally normal and natural, and maybe it's because you've always eaten a healthy balanced diet so you're used to eating a larger volume of food. Or maybe it's just how your body's hunger/full system works. Really, you're telling all of this stuff to yourself in your own mind, and you need to stop doing that. Just because you experience hunger and fullness differently to *some* people (emphasis on some, because in all honesty I think most people are more like you in how they experience hunger etc) does not mean there's anything bad about you.... you seem to be putting a moralistic slant on this, maybe you think that wanting to eat more is sinful or shameful or something? If that is what's behind this issue, then you need to make that part of your brain realise that normal human appetites are not bad or shameful or sinful or anything like that...... they're just normal appetites and they're there for survival purposes, because until recently, people didn't know how much to eat, they just ate when they were hungry and stopped eating when they were full.

What you describe with your hunger/fullness is pretty much exactly the same as me, the difference is I take it as totally normal and not any kind of reflection on myself as a person... it's just my body's survival instincts.

what you said about low calorie volume food... I find the same, if I eat nothing but salad, even if it's my normal volume of food, I'm still hungry and hangry - I don't get dizzy so much but I don't feel right if I haven't eaten enough calories, which for me is around 1800 cals, which is a bit less than I burn off. Really this is totally normal.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    For a lot of folks, the magic ticket to fatland wasn't stuffing their gobs indiscriminately, but actually not eating much of anything at all during the day and making up for it by overeating calorie-dense foods at night. It's a weird pattern our society seems to have developed, and it's a problem. Taking time to sit down and eat a well-portioned, calorie-controlled variety of meals all day can be intimidating or difficult for someone used to that fast-feast rhythm, and there are a lot of other factors as well. Those folks are usually newbies, and I think it's best to be kind to them until they figure out which way is up.
  • Bella_12356
    Options
    I am obese and I went through a long period at the beginning of the year where I lost my appetite. I had thyroid issues and adrenal exhaustion. I was only eating around 500 calories per day, forcing myself to eat a couple of spoon fulls of food. It literally seemed impossible to eat 1200 calories or more. During this time, I didn't lose any weight at all, if anything I gained weight. 'Starvation mode' existed for me. Only when did I begin to eat regularly again did the weight start to come off. It's very possible for a fat person to keep themselves fat by not eating enough if their metabolism has been damaged enough.I'm just sayin there are a lot of factors that contribute to apetite, and it's very possible that people can be full on tiny amounts of food.
  • russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am obese and I went through a long period at the beginning of the year where I lost my appetite. I had thyroid issues and adrenal exhaustion. I was only eating around 500 calories per day, forcing myself to eat a couple of spoon fulls of food. It literally seemed impossible to eat 1200 calories or more. During this time, I didn't lose any weight at all, if anything I gained weight. 'Starvation mode' existed for me. Only when did I begin to eat regularly again did the weight start to come off. It's very possible for a fat person to keep themselves fat by not eating enough if their metabolism has been damaged enough.I'm just sayin there are a lot of factors that contribute to apetite, and it's very possible that people can be full on tiny amounts of food.

exactly this
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying drugs and stuff can't reduce your metabolism significantly (although honestly I can't imagine it can reduce it to the extent that you gain weight on 500 calories a day - if we could get by on so little why didn't we evolve that trait given how advantageous it would be to be so metabolically efficient - I guess if your body literally refused to use energy from food it could store that energy as fat, but then where did it get its energy from? you need some to live).

Nor am I saying people with eating disorders aren't going to have issues consuming larger amounts of food.

But I don't think I am the only person who has come on these forums, read all the posts about how little people are eating and thought, "why can't I eat that little? am I doomed to be a bloated whale for life" or even tried to eat so little only to binge after a couple of months (and for a couple of months) and end up fatter than they were before.

I am fatter than the first time I came to this site precisely because I tried to compete with some of the calorie levels I was seeing and thinking I was being a pig eating more than that because "if they can do it I must be able to". That sets a lot of people up for failure, I can't believe I am the only one...
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different... there's no point in comparing yourself to anyone else and beating yourself up.

Focus on what works best for you and stick with it.

Do you even know how badly I want to Rick Roll you right now??

2ea4e69029e8f1d0079defd0df10ca89.jpg

Yeah because your opinion is ALWAYS the correct one right?
  • matthehat
    matthehat Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying drugs and stuff can't reduce your metabolism significantly (although honestly I can't imagine it can reduce it to the extent that you gain weight on 500 calories a day - if we could get by on so little why didn't we evolve that trait given how advantageous it would be to be so metabolically efficient - I guess if your body literally refused to use energy from food it could store that energy as fat, but then where did it get its energy from? you need some to live).

Nor am I saying people with eating disorders aren't going to have issues consuming larger amounts of food.

But I don't think I am the only person who has come on these forums, read all the posts about how little people are eating and thought, "why can't I eat that little? am I doomed to be a bloated whale for life" or even tried to eat so little only to binge after a couple of months (and for a couple of months) and end up fatter than they were before.

I am fatter than the first time I came to this site precisely because I tried to compete with some of the calorie levels I was seeing and thinking I was being a pig eating more than that because "if they can do it I must be able to". That sets a lot of people up for failure, I can't believe I am the only one...
    I don't think you listened to a single thing anyone said. Stop worrying about what other people are eating and start worrying about what YOU are putting into YOUR body. Read the stickies find out how many calories you should eat, workout, lose weight and be happy.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should concern yourself with how other people feel about their own diets, and let that make you feel somehow inadequate or not 'womanly'. If you're eating enough, it's working for you, and you are making progress...then you're probably doing it right and have it more figured out than they do. Eating that little, to me, is not healthy or something necessarily womanly or attractive...it just may be a sign they need assistance to get on the right path. Could be just that they haven't been around here long enough to get the right info, or may have or had an eating disorder previous. It's a good idea to try and ensure they know that there's a chance it *may* not be enough calories for them personally.
    They might have just started out, and have not reached a learning curve yet about not eating enough, and have not logged for long enough to have found a balance in their eating patterns.

Initially I had no idea prior to entering this forum, that there was anything necessarily wrong with eating 1200, even though I am tall. And in the beginning I found it really do-able, sometimes hungry, but sometimes, yes, I even felt 'full' depending on what I ate. And I ate all my exercise back. I didn't eat anything calorie dense, processed, etc. And I cut out certain foods. It took a bit of reading, learning and research to work out that I needed to eat more, and that when you've logged for a few months you'll learn better how to balance kinds of foods that don't fill you up, or that make you feel fuller, or get your calories up without going over on specific macro's etc.
    Now I eat around 1700, don't cut out foods, bother with any fads, diets, detoxes or bullcrap, and If I ate 1200 I'd be pretty damn ravenous, too :tongue:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

stop calling yourself a pig to start with...

don't try to eat so little, it's obviously not working for you and it doesn't work even for most people who say it works for them, as it does tend to trigger binge eating... but not everyone who eats too little makes the connection between eating so little and the binge eating, they blame the binge eating on emotional issues instead, then say they're fine/not hungry eating so little. You seem fixated on the idea that you should be eating this low amount of food...... you shouldn't be, so don't. And don't believe that people eating so little are not having problems. Okay, a few people, due to being very petite and sedentary, may be fine on 1200 calories a day but that really is too few calories for the vast majority of people. I'm only 5'1" and I'm fairly active and I'd feel like I was dying of starvation on just 1200 cals/day and I know from experience that 1500 cals/day is too little.... for me it's 1800 cals/day for fat loss and 2100 cals/day for maintenance.

there are two ways to make a calorie deficit: 1. do more exercise, 2. eat less food....... you only need a little less than you burn off, too much less is highly counterproductive as you end up getting hungry, hangry and it often triggers binge eating. Best way to get around that is to set your goal to lose just 1lb a day and take the fat loss slowly. Eating more protein with each meal can help to feel fuller, but only if you calorie goal is not too low to begin with. There's no short cuts and no benefits to losing the weight more quickly, except that people lack patience. So take the fat loss slowly, do exercise to give yourself more calories to eat while still maintaining a deficit, and just take it slowly. It doesn't matter if you go slower. There's a thread on here "your guide on your path to sexypants" which has instructions for how to calculate the right amount of calories for you so you can lose weight slowly and steadily without being hungry or suffering from problems caused by undereating.

and stop associating eating larger quantities of food with "being a pig" - some people need to eat more food than others. Bigger people (that applies to taller and larger frame size as well as people who are fatter.... having more cells to keep alive means that you need to eat more) and more active people need to eat more, because biology. So please stop beating yourself up about this, just set your calorie goal for a *small* deficit, eat that, stop worrying about what other people are eating, and be patient and aim for slow fat loss. Yes it works, because that's what I did, and many, many others on here.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

I don't think you listened to a single thing anyone said. Stop worrying about what other people are eating and start worrying about what YOU are putting into YOUR body. Read the stickies find out how many calories you should eat, workout, lose weight and be happy.

Exactly. People eating less than you are making you feel bad?? Their diet is not about you! Your diet is not about them! Just remember this, and you'll be a lot happier.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Exactly. People eating less than you are making you feel bad?? Their diet is not about you! Your diet is not about them! Just remember this, and you'll be a lot happier.

In just because we're ticker twins. Woop.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200/day because I'm short and not very heavy (5'3" and 130 pounds).

I can feel satisfied on 1200 calories or sometimes less if I'm eating a lot of veggies that day.

However, that doesn't leave any room for sweets or snacks, so I rarely eat only 1200 - which is why I do a lot of cardio, so I can eat delicious calorie-dense foods!
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    I eat about 1100 a day, wont claim I am stuffed, but I am not hungry, feel deprived or on the road to binging. This amount suits me because I am very short, a woman, older, an not a great amount of weight to lose.

On the other hand if I compare myself to you I must suffer from an eating disorder eating so few calories, if I eat 2000 I will gain a steady 1 pound each week and will be morbidly obese within 3 years.

So 2000 might be perfectly fine for your height, weight, gender and age, where 1100 is perfectly fine for me.

Compare an apple with an apple or should I say in my case a raisin.