Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks all. I appreciate your support/feedback <3
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If it's one day every now and again (ie: not often) it's not really the end of the world. Your body won't go into starvation mode or similar from a couple of days, just in the same way as you won't gain a ton of weight from one day of overeating.

If you notice it becoming a regular thing, try and focus more on calorie dense foods, foods that aren't so high in volume/quantity but give you more calories. So you can eat more without feeling like you're pushing past the point of feeling sick. Eating 800 calories a day regularly is not healthy.

Also, if you have to eat past 7pm to get the calories in, there's no harm in that. There's no magic cut off point when your body starts turning all food into fat, as many people like to believe. It doesn't matter if you're not active after 7, it'll still work out overall. Calories in vs Calories out is mostly used to account for a day as a whole. I like to go by the minute I wake up, until I go to sleep that night. Other people go from 00.00-00.00. Some even go by a weekly amount (averages, some days being a little over, some days being a little under) It's up to you, as long as it's consistent, and you're getting the food you need to function well in your daily life.
  • bcalleycat
    bcalleycat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 800 and less for 6 weeks now, and still losing weight every week. I'm just not a person who is hungry that often, my downfall was getting far less exercise because of mobility limitations. If 'starvation mode' exists, and that's a controversial topic, it hasn't kicked in with me so it must take a while if it does exist. If you aren't hungry, my advice would be to listen to your body.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 800 and less for 6 weeks now, and still losing weight every week. I'm just not a person who is hungry that often, my downfall was getting far less exercise because of mobility limitations. If 'starvation mode' exists, and that's a controversial topic, it hasn't kicked in with me so it must take a while if it does exist. If you aren't hungry, my advice would be to listen to your body.

Are you monitoring your body composition at all to determine how much muscle you are losing?
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried about my body going into "starvation" mode, and gaining more weight. But is there a calorie limit that can make that happen? Or is 800-900 okay as long as it isn't habitual? I just don't want to screw up my metabolism by not eating enough :/

There have been dozens ( or maybe even hundreds ) of threads disproving " starvation mode " and it is difficult for me to imagine that there are still MFP members who actually believe that starvation mode is a possibility for people who live in the developed world, with the exception of people who have emotional problems that focus on food.....and with you weighing around 175 pounds that does not apply.
    So my thought is: troll.....because you can't possibly be for real.

This is a place where people can come for motivation and support in their fitness goals. Not a place where people should feel threatened because they "aren't as smart" as others or "ask dumb questions" or may not have actually read a post about a certain topic. Weren't you ever taught that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all...? The "dozens of threads disproving 'starvation mode'" is just a bunch of people posting their own thoughts and opinions. Even if you have factual evidence that it does not exist you don't know this person's situation and you don't have to call someone asking for help a troll and call them out about how much they weigh on especially on a site where it is supposed to be a safe place. You're a cruel person for doing this and so is everyone else who is being mean just because they think they're "better" for thinking different things.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Even when I feel stuffed I can eat ice cream, there's something to that saying "there's always room for ice cream".

I am pretty sure this is the only reason I have a need to be on this site... My stupid love of ice cream.
  • bcalleycat
    Options
    I use skinfold measurements, and it shows I'm losing fat. At any rate, the calorie calculator I use indicates that 950 cals/day will lead to 1 lb/week weight loss, so I don't plan to exceed that. I think personal metabolism and other internal workings plays a part as well, and needs to be taken into consideration, rather than a one size fits all.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I use skinfold measurements, and it shows I'm losing fat. At any rate, the calorie calculator I use indicates that 950 cals/day will lead to 1 lb/week weight loss, so I don't plan to exceed that. I think personal metabolism and other internal workings plays a part as well, and needs to be taken into consideration, rather than a one size fits all.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how many calories do you plan on eating once you've hit your goal?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried about my body going into "starvation" mode, and gaining more weight. But is there a calorie limit that can make that happen? Or is 800-900 okay as long as it isn't habitual? I just don't want to screw up my metabolism by not eating enough :/

There have been dozens ( or maybe even hundreds ) of threads disproving " starvation mode " and it is difficult for me to imagine that there are still MFP members who actually believe that starvation mode is a possibility for people who live in the developed world, with the exception of people who have emotional problems that focus on food.....and with you weighing around 175 pounds that does not apply.

This is a place where people can come for motivation and support in their fitness goals. Not a place where people should feel threatened because they "aren't as smart" as others or "ask dumb questions" or may not have actually read a post about a certain topic. Weren't you ever taught that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all...? The "dozens of threads disproving 'starvation mode'" is just a bunch of people posting their own thoughts and opinions. Even if you have factual evidence that it does not exist you don't know this person's situation and you don't have to call someone asking for help a troll and call them out about how much they weigh on especially on a site where it is supposed to be a safe place. You're a cruel person for doing this and so is everyone else who is being mean just because they think they're "better" for thinking different things.

Telling people the truth isn't cruel. Being blunt is just a way of being direct. We are all adults here (or at least we should be given MFPs requirement of 18+). Criticism is not something that needs to be shied away from, there is no need to sugar coat everything.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

QMAUfHNvpl7-f8Yeeg73VsPH809NdIeZwS2yjjbenp53RDvLa4wSlsAppbmgI4omk4GXi5cxXT3ieQgiUlRpKDQ-PygqOuu3E9O4G2JjLdXT-fGUtf__84WuxQ
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yeah, the biggest problem with eating so low (I am going to avoid the term "starvation mode" since it is misused and misunderstood) isn't always seen while dieting. The problem arises when your metabolism is lower due to prolonged lower calorie intake and you try to shift into maintainance. It can also become problematic once closer to goal when calorie deficits are much lower.

A good read (I think it has been linked but maybe lost)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

If you truly have to eat that little to lose weight, you should seriously talk to your doctor. If nothing else, you need to be very careful not to develop malnutrition eating the way you're describing. Even absent that, you almost certainly should be able to eat more than that and still lose weight; if you can't, you may have an untreated medical condition that's getting in the way. So while I agree it's not a one size fits all, I'd also say you're handling it in the wrong way by eating so little and not involving your doctor to determine why you need to eat such a pittance of food.

Edit to add: The other possibility is you're trying to be too aggressive with your goals and 1+lb/week may be well beyond the recommended loss for your weight. Either way, it's very hard to get all the nutrients you should be getting with only 800 calories.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

QMAUfHNvpl7-f8Yeeg73VsPH809NdIeZwS2yjjbenp53RDvLa4wSlsAppbmgI4omk4GXi5cxXT3ieQgiUlRpKDQ-PygqOuu3E9O4G2JjLdXT-fGUtf__84WuxQ

OMG Warehouse 13 <3
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    download.gif

:laugh:
    Can't stop laughing at this!
  • bcalleycat
    Options

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how many calories do you plan on eating once you've hit your goal?

Around 1300 is the suggested calories for maintaining my goal weight.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    6hkl15.png

it just gets better and better :laugh: :laugh:
    I'm only 4 or 5 posts into this thread and the gifs say it *alllllll*

Off to get popcorn, this is bound to be eventful
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    yea somehow i never have an issue eating more... i'm like a damn bottomless pit! I wouldn't mind being totally satiated for hours and hours after eating even a big *kitten* meal
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have days like that. I'm usually more hungry the next day or the day after. I think it is how "normal" people eat (like my husband) and to just embrace it. Now, if you aren't super hungry like this for weeks, I'd wonder about it more. Also, don't be afraid of going over your calories a bit tomorrow or the next day.
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    Seriously though. I must be a Fatty McPhaterson because I'm still hungry sometimes after eating my 1800 cal goal. I couldn't imagine being full at 800 cals. Crazy....

????me too????
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

On this thread alone...many people have tried to offer help...

This is what happens...someone comes along such as yourself...ignore those posts that tried to help...and they focus on the few posts that are a bit snarky.

Then all of a sudden...simply because we don't agree with someone...we are all mean...rude...know it alls...and are just here too act righteous.

So...why spend my time trying to help...few people truly want the help...they just want to be told what a good job they are doing eating 800 calories.