Milk contains pus?!

Options

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Humans are the only species on earth that drinks the milk of another mammal. We are also the only species that continues to drink milk after being weaned off of mother's milk. Just sayin'.

Why are we the only species to cook our food...?

And the only species that uses the internet? Or drives? Or (insert everything humans have evolved/been created to become)? I like being a highly intelligent, sentient being, don't we all? The point is, we are human, and we have choice and free will to consume or not anything we desire.

Is this a "human shaming" thread, now?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat is the rotting and decomposing flesh of another organism, everything. Accept this in your life and move on. I have no problem with choosing to abstain from certain foods for ethical reasons, but being grossed out by food that's perfectly healthy and has been consumed by people for hundreds to thousands of years is just silly.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I never said I was ashamed to drink milk or cook food or (insert anything) :)
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What are the PETA folks going to do when I prove conclusively that plants have feelings and are actually more intelligent than they are?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

If that was for me, I was just referring to the concept in general, not you.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Humans are the only species on earth that drinks the milk of another mammal. We are also the only species that continues to drink milk after being weaned off of mother's milk. Just sayin'.

So you're saying that if I put out a saucer of cow's milk for my cat he won't drink it, right?

Did you even think about this before you typed it?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Humans have evolved the ability to digest the milk of other mammals, not just once, but at least twice. This evolved separately in Europeans and in the Masai people in Africa... it evolved because these populations domesticated cattle, originally for meat but later on for milk and dairy... natural selection favoured those who could continue to digest milk into adulthood.

Humans ecological niche is our ability to use technology to extract food from our surroundings. Just as our australopithecine ancestors started to make and use stone tools, and early humans figured out how to control fire, neolithic humans figured out how to cultivate plants and domesticate animals and dairy farming is part of that. This is what humans do.

Also, all animals evolve to be able to eat the food that's available for their species - or they go extinct. No food ever grows to suit a particular animal. Animals evolve to be able to eat specific foods, and when the environment changes so different foods are available, then those that can digest the new foods survive and those that can't die, and what's left in the population is those that can digest it....... that's how evolution works....... and in the case of Europeans, Masai people and other dairy farming/herding populations, it's likely that people who could digest lactose better had a greater chance of surviving food shortages due to being able to eat a particular food (dairy) that not everyone in the population could tolerate... so lactase persistence genes remained in the population and lactose intolerance genes were lost from the populations....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So that's why it's so delicious!

:laugh:
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options

If that was for me, I was just referring to the concept in general, not you.

Nope. Milk. Putrid cheeses. Kimchi. Bring it on!
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Everything you eat is the rotting and decomposing flesh of another organism, everything. Accept this in your life and move on. I have no problem with choosing to abstain from certain foods for ethical reasons, but being grossed out by food that's perfectly healthy and has been consumed by people for hundreds to thousands of years is just silly.

^^^^ this

it's a reality of being part of the animal kingdom. No chloroplasts. Gotta eat other organisms instead.
  • Komodo26
    Komodo26 Posts: 55
    Options
    could have gone my WHOLE life not knowing this….

Lol...that's exactly how I feel....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Obviously you have read any of the other posts in this thread, which is a shame.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    What are the PETA folks going to do when I prove conclusively that plants have feelings and are actually more intelligent than they are?

They will probably start researching into genetic engineering to see if they can get their skin cells to have chloroplasts so they can try to photosynthesise.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Let's assume this is true (it isn't)-- so what?
  • Komodo26
    Options

Obviously you have read any of the other posts in this thread, which is a shame.

Obviously you want my attention...I read them all and have found some of them pretty interesting. Is there anything else you would like to say to me?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

^^^^ this

it's a reality of being part of the animal kingdom. No chloroplasts. Gotta eat other organisms instead.

Or a fungus, but we don't have cell walls.....
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Not so. Feral cats and gulls looove elephant seal milk straight from the teat.
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    There is a lot of stuff in milk, both naturally and due to dairy companies, that we should not be consuming. For example, there is often puss in milk because the machines used to milk cause cause their udders to be chapped and become infected. Do some research of your own and come to your own conclusions. Don't feel bad when people get snarky :flowerforyou:
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not to be horrid here but if Milk freaks you out cause of it's contents don't go near yogurt, cheese....any diary products. After growing up in a farming village i would pretty much just avoid most food unless it's processed up the nines cause it all has something in it. Also sausages, pork pies, burgers....you don't even want to ask what goes into those. Yeah it might say 100% meat but that meat isn't always what you THINK it is
  • Komodo26
    Options
    People are sooo condescending and sarcastic on here.
    There is a lot of stuff in milk, both naturally and due to dairy companies, that we should not be consuming. Do some research of your own and come to your own conclusions. Don't feel bad when people get snarky :flowerforyou:

Thank you for your input ;)