In your neck of the woods...What do you say?

Options

Replies

• brick_house1
    brick_house1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    all these Canadians saying pop or soda?! I have only heard soft drink here! and sub and firefly
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Born in Missouri...

Coke for any soft drink.
    Subs
    Lightning Bugs

I have slept on many a pallet at my grandmother's house when I was much younger!!!
  • CanaryNoire
    CanaryNoire Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    pop, subs, lightning bugs
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Do you say Pop or Soda?

Coke
    Hoagies or Subs?

Po-boy's
    Lightening bugs or fireflies?

Firefly.

Live in Buffalo, but I'm obviously not from here. :)
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    soda, sub & firefly from Missouri, where we WARSH our hands in the ZINC.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    San Antonio, :
    Everything is a Coke.. even Sprite
    Sandwiches are : Tortas or SanGiches
    Fireflies: but mostly just see roaches or mosquitoes.

NotchetL Meaning: I havent done that yet BUT I am
    Fixinto: I will be doing that shortly
    I stay up in there: Where they live
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    pop. subs. lightning bugs.

This. I'm in Buffalo, NY

I grew up in buffalo and I would say firefly. It wasn't until I moved away that I heard lightning bug.

Also, for all you Buffalonians out there, I think you're the only ones that call pig in the middle 'pickle' in the middle.

That's because it IS a pickle! :)
  • mesicali_chica
    mesicali_chica Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm from Northern CA... I say water,sandwhiches and fire flies. I don't drink soda. lol
  • katekat8481
    Options
    Just outside of Philly...

Soda
    Hoagies (always)
    Lightening Bugs

:wink:
  • FitGal4ever42
    FitGal4ever42 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    From Pittsburgh

Pop
    Hoagie
    Lighting bugs

and Yinz .....
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    In Buffalo, NY (which is western NY, not upstate NY) we say pop, subs, couch, curl ups bugs, and I've always said lightening bugs. My kids also bring home crayfish (not crawfish) from the creek in their wet sneakers. Its just "wings" not "Buffalo wings". We all know what the "Big Blue Watertower" is and the memory of "Wide Right" makes us wince a little and shake our heads in reference to the Buffalo Bills. lol
  • jnichel
    Options
    In Buffalo, NY (which is western NY, not upstate NY) we say pop, subs, couch, curl ups bugs, and I've always said lightening bugs. My kids also bring home crayfish (not crawfish) from the creek in their wet sneakers. Its just "wings" not "Buffalo wings". We all know what the "Big Blue Watertower" is and the memory of "Wide Right" makes us wince a little and shake our heads in reference to the Buffalo Bills. lol

My kids have been raised in Buffalo, and they always look at me strange when I say, "crawfish". I tell them that since I was born and raised in South Louisiana, I'm right. :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas now.

We drink Coke (not soda or pop). (The conversation is usually: person, "I'll have a coke." Waitress, "What kind?" Person, "Dr. Pepper is good." This was a learning curve for myself as a kid coming from California. People would say they'd want a coke, I'd give them a coke, and then get told they wanted a different "kind of coke.")
    I say sub or sandwich.
    Fireflies.
  • GoMilner
    GoMilner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm from Tennessee.

We say Coke
    Subs
    Lightening bugs.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Maine most of my life.

Pop or Soda? Soda - my cousins in Missouri say pop, always makes me giggle
    Hoagies or Subs? Actually, we call them Italians (pronounced eye-talian by some)
    Lightening bugs or fireflies? Not sure on this one...I seem to remember using both terms

Aint that a corker? Ayuh bub
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Grew up in south central Wisconsin. Grew up saying pop, sub, fireflies and lightning bugs interchangeably and we would lay on the davenport to watch TV.

I now live in eastern Wisconsin and have changed to drink soda and I lay on the sofa.

Also, in the area of Milwaukee I used to live we bought our alcoholic beverages at the beer depot.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Do you say Pop or Soda?
    Hoagies or Subs?
    Lightening bugs or fireflies?

I'm from Ohio but now in PA and I say Pop, subs, and lightening bugs.

Tell me what you say and where you are from and add in new words too!

Soda or Coke more times than not.
    Subs...or just sammiches
    We have neither, so...MOTHS

I don't smoke, but the names for cigarettes always made me laugh (i.e. Stogies, *kitten*, etc.)

ETA: Born and raised in Los Angeles...still on the west coast in Reno/Tahoe
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Soft drinks
    sub sandwiches
    either or both...lightnin' bugs usually I suppose.

Couch or love seat (sofa is such a strange word).

I was born in Kansas, taught to speak "properly" by my grandparents or so they claimed, grew up in Texas, and now live in Oklahoma. I type y'all so often in my phone, it knows to auto-correct the hyphen, as well as in ma'am. :)

I'm sure there are a ton of other goofy words we use, or we think others use. What is hilarious to me is that my guy just returned from being overseas in Britain for the last 10 or so years, and British colloquialisms are SO different...

Oh, and my Greek/Ukrainian/Russian grandmother always told us to "eat our soup." It didn't matter if we were eating a burger, ice cream, or actual soup, it was all "soup." And my Polish grandfather always say to put things in the "Frigidaire." His accent was so thick, I can still hear it in my head. Good memories!
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Soft Drink (but all cola is a Coke)
    PoBoy
    Lightning Bugs
    Couch

I'm "Southern by the Grace of God"
  • jnichel
    Options
    Soft Drink (but all cola is a Coke)
    PoBoy
    Lightning Bugs
    Couch

I'm "Southern by the Grace of God"

Slidell, huh? Covington High class of '86. Will be in Slidell over Christmas visiting my sister and mother.