Do carbs make you fat?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I use lose weight and lose fat interchangably because I have to assume that when people talk about wanting to lose weight they are actually talking about wanting to lose fat.

If their goal actually is to truly just lose weight temporarily and for a limited amount then just go low sodium, cut carbs and drink tons of water and you will "lose weight" in the form of water. I, however, like to think when people ask how they can lose weight they are talking specifically about losing fat.

Most are. But many people on MFP seem to think water weight is always temporary and always just a few pounds. It's not. It can contribute significantly to weight in some people. And it can contribute long term if there is a dietary cause and the diet is not changed.

So many MFP members always post that if you are eating 1200 calories and not losing it's because you are really eating more than that. It's not always that simple. The person may very well be eating 1200 calories but gaining water weight. All they may need to do is change their diet.
    I'm pretty sure if you just keep gaining water weight without stopping at the same rate you're losing fat that's something a doctor should be visited for.

In many cases, yes, it is. But that is never suggested on here. It's always just "you are not measuring / weighing correctly" "you are doing something wrong".

No doubt that is sometimes true, but it's not the only possible answer.
    That's the WebMD style of advice I guess. "These symptoms could be because of this very basic harmless thing with a probability of 99%, or you could be dead in 5 minutes."

I can't see how that is worse than pretending that the 1% do not exist.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I have been on every type of diet and have lost and gained a significant amount of weight several times. However I find it impossible to loose weight unless I do some sort of low carb diet. I love carbs and have tried any and every diet out there to try and include carbs. Reducing my calories doesn't work I've tried all different calorie ranges even going below the commonly recommended 1200 min and nothing but low carbs seems to work. It just drives me nuts when I hear it's all about calories from experts or anyone for that matter because that's not the case for me. I realize I may differ from the norm and this calorie counting May work for most people. I'm just frustrated and trying to learn more. My question is has anyone else experienced this? Or come across research that indicates why this is. I've heard that some people metabolize certain foods better than others and I know my body and what I need to do to get the numbers moving just trying to get more information on what's going on.

Thanks for any insight experiences or advice you may have

Don't overthink it. If you lose weight easier/at all by cutting carbs, then do so if you'd like to lose weight.
    Who cares why or how if it works for you...work it =)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds the first time around not paying attention to anything but the calorie number. When looking back, it was mainly carbs. But I lost it!
  • starsybyll
    starsybyll Posts: 32
    Options

Oh my god, posting a scientific study that illustrates how based on genetics, hormone levels or chemical balances that vary from person to person can affect the way someone processes certain foods? Blasphemy! Clearly they didn't lose weight while eating complex carbs because they're lying and were actually eating cakes and pies all day.

Thank you.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Carbs make me fat.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wow

I should clarify a little for me when I say carb I mean bread, pasta, rice, potato etc even whole wheat kinds
    I am able to eat most fruits and vegetables and still loose weight

This is just what works for me.

In no way shape or form am I suggesting that I can eat ANY amounts of fat and proteins and lose fat, what I am saying is I DO NOT loose weight if I eat the starchy carbs regardless of how low calorie I go. Not only have I done this in a controlled setting ( using scales, measuring cups and spoons ). I have also done controlled diets such as slim fast and nutrisystem and did not lose weight.

I know what works for me, and was looking to see if people had some similar experiences or further scientific information. So thanks for those that did or at least have an open mind that the general norm or perception may not hold true for everyone.

Not that I should even respond to the negativity but for the record in no way shape or form am I lazy or unable to measure or count calories.

We are not all the same and science is continually evolving. Think of some of the wrong advice we were given by medical professionals just 20-30 years ago. Remember when all fats were evil? Just trying to expand my knowledge and connect with like minded people.

Maybe it's genetic

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_145489.html

Interesting article thanks for posting. Several relatives have had similar experiences to me as well
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say carbs make me fat, but I do find it easier to stick to my calorie goals and feel better, leaner, more alert and energetic when I avoid them.

Pizza, pasta, potatoes, bread, rice, most fruit - they all make me feel bloated, tired and gassy.
    They also seem to trigger binge eating. Leafy green vegetables aren't so bad.

Looking at my immediate family - if we eat moderate-high amounts of carbs, we end up overweight, lethargic & puffy.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity is anyone in the "carbs make me fat" crowd actually monitoring their body composition or just going off scale weight?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    No.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Wow

I should clarify a little for me when I say carb I mean bread, pasta, rice, potato etc even whole wheat kinds

In no way shape or form am I suggesting that I can eat ANY amounts of fat and proteins and lose fat, what I am saying is I DO NOT loose weight if I eat the starchy carbs regardless of how low calorie I go. Not only have I done this in a controlled setting ( using scales, measuring cups and spoons ). I have also done controlled diets such as slim fast and nutrisystem and did not lose weight.

I know what works for me, and was looking to see if people had some similar experiences or further scientific information. So thanks for those that did or at least have an open mind that the general norm or perception may not hold true for everyone.

Not that I should even respond to the negativity but for the record in no way shape or form am I lazy or unable to measure or count calories.

We are not all the same and science is continually evolving. Think of some of the wrong advice we were given by medical professionals just 20-30 years ago. Remember when all fats were evil? Just trying to expand my knowledge and connect with like minded people.
    Then you need to contribute yourself to science for further research since your body defies the laws of physics.

A naturally high insulin level is not really a new thing. Sorry you don't understand basic laws of biology. Seeing as more insulin is produced more quickly from complex carbs (starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc) someone with a higher natural production of insulin, which varies somewhat like all chemicals/hormones from person to person, would have a much harder time losing weight while eating them. They may actually have naturally higher insulin level than you do, meaning complex carbs can ruin their diet.

Also, complex carbs break down and digest more slowly and are harder for the body to process. There's nothing stupid about wanting to avoid complex carbs for dieting and health. Before you make fun of people for defying the "laws of physics" maybe you should do some research, hmm?

You mean research like the items referenced here?

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity is anyone in the "carbs make me fat" crowd actually monitoring their body composition or just going off scale weight?

Both. And the simple fact that my body is inefficient at processing carbs.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I monitor body fat, waist and bellybutton measurements and scale weight. (as well as bust and hip)

The first four all go up when I am eating moderate-high levels of carbs.

Plus I feel less inclined to exercise, hungrier and if there is refined sugar I break out in pimples.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Wow

Then you need to contribute yourself to science for further research since your body defies the laws of physics.

A naturally high insulin level is not really a new thing. Sorry you don't understand basic laws of biology. Seeing as more insulin is produced more quickly from complex carbs (starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc) someone with a higher natural production of insulin, which varies somewhat like all chemicals/hormones from person to person, would have a much harder time losing weight while eating them. They may actually have naturally higher insulin level than you do, meaning complex carbs can ruin their diet.

Also, complex carbs break down and digest more slowly and are harder for the body to process. There's nothing stupid about wanting to avoid complex carbs for dieting and health. Before you make fun of people for defying the "laws of physics" maybe you should do some research, hmm?
    As someone else already said. You cannot get more energy out of something than there is in it. Ever. No hormones can do anything about that.
  • starsybyll
    starsybyll Posts: 32
    Options
    Wow

You mean research like the items referenced here?

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Okay, cool.
    There's no such thing as insulin resistance, diabetes or PCOS. Those are just myths that fatties made up to excuse themselves. Good to know.

I don't even have a problem with carbs. I LOVE carbs and I love complex starchy carbs a lot. Until I gained weight from a reaction to medication (also clearly fake, right? Lol that can't happen, just a lying fatty) I ate carbs all the time with no issues with my weight. Im saying people process food differently. People are not 100% the same. Chemical levels can affect people differently and it's not like insulin resistance is super rare and unless you actually develop diabetes, many people have no idea they have it.

But no, that's clearly wrong and everyone who has troubles losing weight for one reason or another is a liar. You people are ridiculous. Good for you you're not insulin resistant but quit sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming "nah nah nah" because it turns out it's not the same for everyone.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    How many times to do you see nah nah nah in a thread; very interesting thread......Hey Hey. . . .nah na nah nah. . . .Hey Hey. . . .
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Both. And the simple fact that my body is inefficient at processing carbs.

If your body was inefficient at processing carbs that would mean that you get LESS calorically from carbs compared to most people which would mean that eating carbs for you would give you less calories and therefore do the opposite of what you are saying.

Do you mean that you are more efficient at processing carbs?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I monitor body fat, waist and bellybutton measurements and scale weight. (as well as bust and hip)

The first four all go up when I am eating moderate-high levels of carbs.

Plus I feel less inclined to exercise, hungrier and if there is refined sugar I break out in pimples.

waist, bellybutton and scale weight could all go up due to the water retention and common issues of constipation related to carb intake. What was the method of determining your bodyfat? If it was a bioelectric impedence scale then that would be thrown off by the water retention associated with carbs as well. If it was a tape measurer that would be innacurate due to the bloating.

I believe that carbs cause water retention in everyone and bloating/constipation in some but I'm very skeptical about fat gain so I'm wondering if anyone had some accurate bodyfat measure like DEXA or a dunk tank.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I went by scale weight AND measurements. Mine actually went up when eating high carb and low fat. They went down when I switched to low carb and high fat. I'm sure some of it was from glycogen being depleted, but the rest was fat loss that just wasn't happening on the standard diet.
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow

If you want to find like minded people, go to the low carb, keto, and/or paleo groups.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Well it ain't 34#'s of muscle or water I lost, since cutting carbs to < 20 g a day :laugh:
    Since I've been weight training for the last 15 yrs, I expect it was mostly fat =P