Shirt or no Shirt?

Options

Replies

• susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wear it girl!! Show off those abs and get a tan while keeping cool!!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I really, really do not understand what is so scandalous about a sports bra, or exposed midriff for that matter.

I wouldn't say it's scandalous, but it will get you looked at, and some people are okay with that, and others, like me, really don't want to be stared at by strangers. I was out walking once on a local country dirt road in shorts and a tank top and two guys in a panel van slowed waaaay down and stared at me... woods both sides, no houses nearby. I did not like that at all. Never went walking that way again.

Don't get out of your house then. Ever.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I really, really do not understand what is so scandalous about a sports bra, or exposed midriff for that matter.

I wouldn't say it's scandalous, but it will get you looked at, and some people are okay with that, and others, like me, really don't want to be stared at by strangers. I was out walking once on a local country dirt road in shorts and a tank top and two guys in a panel van slowed waaaay down and stared at me... woods both sides, no houses nearby. I did not like that at all. Never went walking that way again.
    That's fair enough, and a matter of personal comfort and confidence. I just don't see why people are so upset about seeing other people dressed as such.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

blink.gif
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Put on a shirt. If my husband felt strongly enough to mention it, it bothers him. I would take his feelings into account. He would do the same for me. It's not about being controlling. It's about taking your spouses sensibilities into account. I'm rather surprised at the vehemence by some people over a simple request.

ETA: when I ventured into the topic I was expecting a question about bench shirts :smile:

Wow. I was reading this thread despairing for society when I finally came across your post. Nice, polite, and considerate. Thank you.

When you are in a relationship you're supposed to care what the other thinks. No wonder why the divorce rate is so high. It's not just about you guys. Especially if you're married you're supposed to be a union, a couple. :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Oh and OP... I grew up in FL. Lived there for 17 years. It is hot yes, but wearing clothing will actually be cooler than having bare skin. It shades your skin. I suggest buying some shirts made from appropriate wicking material. Running around in a sports bra will most likely make you cook more. And the sun damage too...
  • _Josee_
    Options
    Is a sports bra or even a bikini appropriate to wear as you run through your neighborhood? It's more than just the hubby we are talking here. Do you have a Homeowner Association that frowns upon barely clothed ladies or men running through the neighborhood? Do you have a hyper conservative mother in the neighborhood that will cause trouble cause you exposed your body to their young 8 year old boy as you jogged by their house? Just something more to think about. Carry on as you feel comfortable. :-)

First, I would never move somewhere with a dress code. This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.
    Second, the FAT conservative mom (because in my mind she is a sad jealous overweight women) should be happy that her son his seeing people exercising and shouldn't waste her energy on some random women she doesn't know running in a sport bra.

Don't tell me this is offensive:

fz5Oxun.jpg?1
  • Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sports bra seems perfectly reasonable to me. You should respect your husband's feelings enough to hear him out, but then he should respect your decision.

Great response. I agree.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Its summertime! All clothing is optional!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel that you need to work out in just a bra?
    So she gets looks from guys (and some gals I suppose).
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    Truth be told, the guys that were going to stare without the shirt will probably stare with the shirt anyways.

^^^ truth. i always start out with a tank top on, but around mile 2 it gets torn the eff off because it's sticking to me and I start feeling slimy. I get just as many stares with the shirt vs without it.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    ...and lets not forget.........the woman is telling the man what and what not to wear more often than vice versa so what comes around, goes around
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Depends on the sports bra. Some are practically tank tops. Others are practically thin belts.
    Tank top'ish bra- fine
    thin belt'ish bra - not fine
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Is a sports bra or even a bikini appropriate to wear as you run through your neighborhood? It's more than just the hubby we are talking here. Do you have a Homeowner Association that frowns upon barely clothed ladies or men running through the neighborhood? Do you have a hyper conservative mother in the neighborhood that will cause trouble cause you exposed your body to their young 8 year old boy as you jogged by their house? Just something more to think about. Carry on as you feel comfortable. :-)

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. WTF? Heeding to what nosey neighbors might say or complain about is not a solution to any problem. In fact, it perpetuates the problem. Second - unless a decision made directly impacts their everyday life, you (i.e. people at large) should not give a flying f*** about what others think about the decisions you make -- especially if its regarding something positive you're doing with your life, like exercising on a regular basis.
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel that you need to work out in just a bra?
    So she gets looks from guys (and some gals I suppose).

tumblr_mlzawaoWdX1rcy99do1_500.gif
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    If your husband/partner didn't want you to run in just a sports bra, would you put a shirt on?

Yes.

I would respect his wishes and put a shirt on too.

Whether it's appropriate for your neighborhood though depends largely on where you live. My neighborhood would not have any problem with it as a whole, but in the one I grew up in (think Bible Belt), it would be scandalous.

Insecure guys are insecure for a reason... usually hiding stuff. Same with biblethumpers.

:huh: Careful there, your prejudice is showing.

OP, I would be concerned in a sketchy neighbourhood, but I would be ok running in a sports bra provided it was giving me good coverage and my belly weren't as flubby as it is right now. I prefer a tank over and high waisted yoga capris to compress the loose skin so it doesnt hurt, and also to hide it.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

Don't be ridiculous. The fact is, I did NOT feel safe, and that lonely stretch of dirt road was not a safe place.
  • _Josee_
    Options

Don't be ridiculous. The fact is, I did NOT feel safe, and that lonely stretch of dirt road was not a safe place.

I was referencing that part:

''... really don't want to be stared at by strangers''
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I understand the husbands point of view I don't think it makes him a bad person, I think people are jumping the gun a little. Some people have different ideas what's acceptable in a relationship. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but even if I did, I would accept it, make my feelings clear and move on from it.

I wont lie though, when I go out in a sports bra I do get stares.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If your husband/partner didn't want you to run in just a sports bra, would you put a shirt on?

Yes.

I would respect his wishes and put a shirt on too.

Whether it's appropriate for your neighborhood though depends largely on where you live. My neighborhood would not have any problem with it as a whole, but in the one I grew up in (think Bible Belt), it would be scandalous.

Insecure guys are insecure for a reason... usually hiding stuff. Same with biblethumpers.

:huh: Careful there, your prejudice is showing.

OP, I would be concerned in a sketchy neighbourhood, but I would be ok running in a sports bra provided it was giving me good coverage and my belly weren't as flubby as it is right now. I prefer a tank over and high waisted yoga capris to compress the loose skin so it doesnt hurt, and also to hide it.

Showing? Heck I'm waving the flag here lol
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I say do whatever makes YOU comfortable. But living in Florida, I often find it is more comfortable to be a bit more covered up and not expose as much skin to the sun. In fact something with a short sleeve in a good moisture-wicking fabric can be even better than a tank, since it also keeps more sun off my chest and shoulders.