Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    so much derp in this thread.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm really not sure regularly eating a whole chicken is healthy. Chicken is healthy in moderation, sure, but using it most days as your primary source of calories?

I am so screwed then, cause I have chicken like everyday, and sometimes twice a day
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Yeah, eating a whole chicken and dessert, etc. at night... Part of me doesn't worry about the timing of eating and another part of me wants to say that of course you can go all day without eating. If you consume "all" of your calories and just go to bed shortly after it's just kind of sitting in your stomach and burning the up the next day. I mean everyone is different and I say just do what works for you. Personally, I eat my meals and snacks pretty much all day long. In fact, I eat something about every two hours throughout the day. This keeps my digestive system and metabolism working all day long and into the night. I like to go to bed just slightly hungry and look forward to a filling healthy breakfast each day to start the process and jump start my metabolism for the day ahead. Different strokes for different folks I guess and again for me, moderation and forward progression is the key.

You mentioned that when you eat cereal or something like that in the morning you're hungry an hour later, well yeah... carbs will do that to you. Eat, burn it up quickly and crave more carbs. It's a vicious cycle that you should research. Protein and veggies in the morning work best for me.

:noway: :noway: :noway: :huh: :huh: :huh:

and as far as carbs go, yes
    They drive an appetite.
    Look up ghrelin
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    this thread was better when we were all nekkid and covered in chocolate and whip cream holding spatula's.

Can't we go back to that?

that sounded like fun.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    this thread was better when we were all nekkid and covered in chocolate and whip cream holding spatula's.

Can't we go back to that?

that sounded like fun.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Totes agree
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Those are facts. Food for thought.. why they do that...

Source?

Also since you have details on what sumo wrestlers typically eat, let's talk about their total calorie intake too.

Of course it is about intake and burn of calories. You will always loose weight once you burn more than eat. But here is the problem.
    When you don't eat breakfast and starve yourself for most part of the day, you slow down your metabolism and also you teach your body to conserve every possible amount of energy. .. which means your body learns to storage fat.
    If one meal a day works for you.. it is better to eat it in the morning, because you have time to burn calories throughout the day.

your body doesn't stop burning calories at night. if you eat one meal a day, the calories in it will keep fuelling your body until they run out... if someone eats their TDEE calories in a single meal, then those calories will run out around the time they're ready to eat their huge meal the next day.

your metabolism can slow as a result of insufficient food, but this takes a long time (how long depends on the size of the calorie deficit but it's not going to happen as a result of skipping a meal or fasting for 24 hours)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Shoot if anything at night when you sleep is the best time to have calories.

If I am not mistaken that is when most of the muscle repair happens
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Somebody forgot to mention honey on the shirtless guys. Its "healthy" right?! ;)

For real OP- just do you, and then report back your success! as long as you get ENOUGH, and your macros aren't crazy, and you get results who cares how? All roads lead to Rome...
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Somebody forgot to mention honey on the shirtless guys. Its "healthy" right?! ;)

For real OP- just do you, and then report back your success! as long as you get ENOUGH, and your macros aren't crazy, and you get results who cares how? All roads lead to Rome...

I could go with honey. :smile: :smile:
  • PaPa_BuLL
    PaPa_BuLL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Please review the Kreb's Cycle and how your body actually metabolizes calories. When you first wake up and are in a fasted state, your body can pull from carbohydrates (preferred energy source), protein (second choice), or fats (last choice) to create the energy your body needs for normal functioning. If you do not supply ANY calories when you first wake, you body will try to use whatever glucose your body has stored up for energy. Since you are in a fasted state and have no glucose to supply this demand, your body will turn to protein. If you do not consume any food, then the body is grossly efficient at converting muscle protein into the energy that your body needs. Unfortunately, the last choice for your body to pull calories from is the body fat that is stored ... because (keeping with the whole caveman logic) your body believes that you are preparing for famine and wants to hold on to that bodyfat as a last resort for being in a long-term fasted state.

Do your own research and learn about how the body functions before deciding how you are going to "beat the system" by doing what is convenient rather than what is right. Or keep eating one meal per day and see how much energy you have at the end of the day if you are truly active. It's your body, your choice .. right?

BTW, for the sumo wrestlers, yes .. they eat 1 meal per day and it is late at night. Why? So that their bodies will heal by promoting elevated hGH and seratonin levels while sleeping, and also to promote WEIGHT GAIN since your body has such a low metabolic rate while sleeping. But, again, do your own research. I already have done the research which is why I will not do these things or allow my clients to do these things either.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Please review the Kreb's Cycle and how your body actually metabolizes calories. When you first wake up and are in a fasted state, your body can pull from carbohydrates (preferred energy source), protein (second choice), or fats (last choice) to create the energy your body needs for normal functioning. If you do not supply ANY calories when you first wake, you body will try to use whatever glucose your body has stored up for energy. Since you are in a fasted state and have no glucose to supply this demand, your body will turn to protein. If you do not consume any food, then the body is grossly efficient at converting muscle protein into the energy that your body needs. Unfortunately, the last choice for your body to pull calories from is the body fat that is stored ... because (keeping with the whole caveman logic) your body believes that you are preparing for famine and wants to hold on to that bodyfat as a last resort for being in a long-term fasted state.

Do your own research and learn about how the body functions before deciding how you are going to "beat the system" by doing what is convenient rather than what is right. Or keep eating one meal per day and see how much energy you have at the end of the day if you are truly active. It's your body, your choice .. right?

BTW, for the sumo wrestlers, yes .. they eat 1 meal per day and it is late at night. Why? So that their bodies will heal by promoting elevated hGH and seratonin levels while sleeping, and also to promote WEIGHT GAIN since your body has such a low metabolic rate while sleeping. But, again, do your own research. I already have done the research which is why I will not do these things or allow my clients to do these things either.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway:

So much crap in this...please don't
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Reality is this.... Do what works for you. Some people like to eat a little, often. Some don't. I have lost weight on IF pretty quickly .. there are a lot of benefits for ME Personally (Not based on science article, just my personal experience)

When eating one meal a day I (again, just me) Feel:
    - Its a real easy rule "DON'T EAT' -
    don't have to worry about scheduling or planning the day of food so I don't go over. Not counting points or filling out
    spreadsheets

-With Only 1 meal a day, I naturally want to make it an excellent one
    I look forward to eating, and plan a great home cooked meal. I stop at the store and get fresh ingredients, try new recipes
    more often. I don't have to plan/prep/cook 3 meals a day .. just one, the effort is lowered and the satisfaction is raised.

- I feel a lot more open to new foods and veggies I previously didn't like
    I hated onions really hated them. When a recipe called for them, i would as little as possible. When fasting I could really
    taste the sweetness of the onion like never before. Now I add them all the time, same with broccoli and peppers. Food does
    seem to taste a lot different when fasting (again, FOR ME)

- If I eat a big meal at night, I can fall right to sleep
    I am not super hungry at night as I used to be. I eat that one big meal and I am good for the rest of the night. I don't know if
    anyone else tends to go over calories especially in the evening, but I used to all the time. I would do well all day and then
    mess it up at night.

- Super easy to track
    Because its one big meal its pretty easy to enter into MFP and be totally accurate. I didn't forget to add a snack or extra side
    of ranch with lunch salad.

- Naturally become more resilient to temptation
    I found once I could fast for a few days, I became more confident about saying no to food I used to eat all the time, that I really
    loved.

- Blood sugar lower for longer
    Please note: The following is what I have learned on my own internet research, as such it may or may not be true, please
    take it with a grain salt
    I found that fat oxidization levels are at a mere 10% - 20% percent after eating, at about 4 hours after eating they jump to 50%
    and after 6 hours its up to 80%. The Idea being I want to burn more longer and as efficiently as possible. The moment you
    you eat food, your blood sugar goes up and fat oxidization level drops to nearly nothing and has to restart that climb back to
    the top. You could probably accomplish a similar result with a low glycemic index diet as well.

The list goes on and on... I have tried a lot "Diets" but this simple rule of DON'T EAT seems to have lead me to healthier eating habits not through a program or rules or policies but through my own inner-personal desire.
  • PaPa_BuLL
    PaPa_BuLL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MrM27 - Thank you for the response, but please allow me to clarify when you tell me I'm wrong and then provide opinion over fact and do not even properly quote your own reference.

1. When carbohydrates are consumed, they are converted into glucose (1,2). From there, the glucose can take one of three pathways and either (a) be used immediately as energy, (b) become stored in muscles and the liver as glycogen, or (c) converted in fat and stored as such (2). So assuming I meant glycogen was wrong, since I meant glucose as that is what the body actually uses.

2. Your reference is a website from someone who does not even correct his post prior to publishing it, "Now, for the most part, all tissues in the body can generate energy (ATP for the biochemically minded) from either glucose or fatty acids. There are a few exceptions, mind you; the brain uses almost exclusively glucose but shifts to mostly ketones under certain conditions. What the brain can’t use is fatty acids directly for energy. There are a couple of other weird ones, a handful of tissues in the body that only use glucose: the retina is one, part of the kidney, there’s a third I’m forgetting." Certainly glad he did his research before making a post that others are going to blindly follow. But at least he states energy is generated from glucose and not glycogen (see comment 1). :noway:

3. Your body requires calories for fuel. Since the body can only metabolize and/or store a finite amount of carbohydrates (roughly 400-600 on average) in a useful manner, consuming all of your calories in one setting is generally a very unhealthy way to plan a diet (2,3). Instead, I would recommend talking to a certified nutritionist to figure out a plan that will work for you AS AN INDIVIDUAL. And if "10, 12, or even 16 hours is not going to trigger your body to prepare for famine" .. then what is the magical number that works? Please provide a reference. :wink:

Ultimately, it does not matter what anyone on this website posts, since it is free advice and does not provide any way of verifying the credentials of the people providing their "expert" opinion.

References:
    (1) Thibodeau, G & Patton, K (2008); Structure & Function of the Body (13th Ed). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier & Mosby, Inc.
    (2) Fink, H., Burgoon, L. & Mikesky, A. (2009); Practical Applications in Sports Nutrition (2nd Ed). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, LLC.
    (3) Clark, M., Lucett, S. & Corn, R. (2008); NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training (3rd Ed.). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to jump in on all the health discussions here, but I would just throw this out there: I'm in nursing school too, and I have to wake up crazy freaking early for my clinical rotations (4am, to be exact). If I didn't eat anything until 13 hours after I woke up, I don't think I'd make it. I'd be a heap on the floor of the hospital by noon.

If you're going to be waking up really early for classes, or especially for clinicals, I wouldn't recommend not eating until such a late time. Plus, with clinicals, you often don't really have time to sit and eat a proper meal halfway through- you're not guaranteed any breaks! So I'd definitely suggest you eat something before hand, or you'll be experiencing first hand the symptoms of low blood sugar.

Agreed. As a former nursing student, you'll be waking up for clinical around 4 AM and will be at clinical from 7AM-7PM on the days you have 12 hour shifts. You'll be running around like a chicken with its head cut off the whole time. You'll be on your feet the entire time. You'll be lucky to get your lunch break at the allotted time, let alone a break at all; as patients are first priority. Some days you'll find yourself stuffing your face in between seeing patients.

Food=fuel. You will NEED that fuel to get you through clinical, meaning you likely won't make it to 5PM having only consumed water all day.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    MrM27 - Thank you for the response, but please allow me to clarify when you tell me I'm wrong and then provide opinion over fact and do not even properly quote your own reference.

1. When carbohydrates are consumed, they are converted into glucose (1,2). From there, the glucose can take one of three pathways and either (a) be used immediately as energy, (b) become stored in muscles and the liver as glycogen, or (c) converted in fat and stored as such (2). So assuming I meant glycogen was wrong, since I meant glucose as that is what the body actually uses.

2. Your reference is a website from someone who does not even correct his post prior to publishing it, "Now, for the most part, all tissues in the body can generate energy (ATP for the biochemically minded) from either glucose or fatty acids. There are a few exceptions, mind you; the brain uses almost exclusively glucose but shifts to mostly ketones under certain conditions. What the brain can’t use is fatty acids directly for energy. There are a couple of other weird ones, a handful of tissues in the body that only use glucose: the retina is one, part of the kidney, there’s a third I’m forgetting." Certainly glad he did his research before making a post that others are going to blindly follow. But at least he states energy is generated from glucose and not glycogen (see comment 1). :noway:

3. Your body requires calories for fuel. Since the body can only metabolize and/or store a finite amount of carbohydrates (roughly 400-600 on average) in a useful manner, consuming all of your calories in one setting is generally a very unhealthy way to plan a diet (2,3). Instead, I would recommend talking to a certified nutritionist to figure out a plan that will work for you AS AN INDIVIDUAL. And if "10, 12, or even 16 hours is not going to trigger your body to prepare for famine" .. then what is the magical number that works? Please provide a reference. :wink:

Ultimately, it does not matter what anyone on this website posts, since it is free advice and does not provide any way of verifying the credentials of the people providing their "expert" opinion.

References:
    (1) Thibodeau, G & Patton, K (2008); Structure & Function of the Body (13th Ed). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier & Mosby, Inc.
    (2) Fink, H., Burgoon, L. & Mikesky, A. (2009); Practical Applications in Sports Nutrition (2nd Ed). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, LLC.
    (3) Clark, M., Lucett, S. & Corn, R. (2008); NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training (3rd Ed.). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.

Ironic post is ironic.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    On a side note to this thread, I am super relieved to see that 95% of the posters fall in line with the correct way of thinking, and only a few have fallen for quackery. I feel like that is a bit of progress.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Oh man I wish I had the discipline to do one meal a day, because that meal would be 1700ish calories of pure epic gluttony. Mmmmm.......