Runners! Do you acknowledge other runners while out forn

Options
Sorry about the topic title. My computer is being a pain.

Hi everyone. I've recently started long distance running (5KM for now) and always see a lot of fellow runners along the path I run. I always smile a wave to them, and they nearly always do the same. Do you do that? Or is it just common to say hi?

Replies

• oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I give them a big Ed McMahon "HEY-O!" and a pat on the butt.

No, I'm too shy. And no one, but no one, runs slower than I do. Other runners would probably think I'm walking.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I usually always smile and say hi. Once earlier this year when I was running and it was cold, still snow on the ground - I got a high five from a passing runner. It was awesome.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'll nod, as if to acknowledge that we're all in our personal hells.
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do the head nod, but only because a wave seems unbearable during my run.
  • jctk0419
    jctk0419 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it's fairly common, decent form perhaps to at least acknowledge another runner, even walker. However, don't feel bummed if they don't respond. Yes, they could be buttheads, but then that's their problem and not yours. Or else they're just so "in the zone" that they honestly aren't paying attention...or are too out of breath to respond verbally. But usually a "hello", possible wave or something similar is what I've experienced.

And Oedipa, we can be the two that jog behind all the "fast" folks. :-) I'm generally very slow as well, compared to most. No worries!
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think it's fairly common, decent form perhaps to at least acknowledge another runner, even walker. However, don't feel bummed if they don't respond. Yes, they could be buttheads, but then that's their problem and not yours. Or else they're just so "in the zone" that they honestly aren't paying attention...or are too out of breath to respond verbally. But usually a "hello", possible wave or something similar is what I've experienced.

And Oedipa, we can be the two that jog behind all the "fast" folks. :-) I'm generally very slow as well, compared to most. No worries!

Yay!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i say good morning, or nice night depending on time of day i'm out running =) 99% of the time i get a smile if they can't speak or a good morning from the walkers…occasionally i will have a mini conversation w another runner.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The nod and smile is important for two reasons:
    1: As a runner, whether you know this or not, you now belong to a secret society. If you have not received your ring in the mail, you will soon. The smile and nod is the runner secret handshake. It acknowledges you as an actual runner and not just some peasant moving quickly.
    2: Without the nod and smile how will you tell other runners "I am totally enjoying my decision to run today and do not feel at all like I am going to drop dead at any moment"?
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I usually give a head nod or small wave when I pass by another runner. Same with bikers when I'm out on my bike.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Here's the general rule: all other runners should be acknowledged with either a head nod, wave or finger point.

The general rule can be ignored when you're doing speedwork.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Here's the general rule: all other runners should be acknowledged with either a head nod, wave or finger point.

If I'm doing this 1.1 mile loop (as I often do) am I required to nod/wave/point each time around? Can I assume that they know I don't hate them on lap 3 just because I did the first two? Why doesn't everyone run the same direction that I do anyway?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

If I'm doing this 1.1 mile loop (as I often do) am I required to nod/wave/point each time around? Can I assume that they know I don't hate them on lap 3 just because I did the first two? Why doesn't everyone run the same direction that I do anyway?

Good question, here's the ruling:

In a multiple loop situation, you are only required to wave once. After that, it becomes optional.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I smile and nod, that's about it. If the other person says hi, I'll say hi back as I pass.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't run, mostly the occasional jogging but mostly just walking or cycling, but I always nod or give a bit of a wave. I always get one in return as well.

Of course I'm in a pretty small town so the same people are always bumping into each other on the trail every day. For a few weeks I kept bumping into a lady on a recumbent bicycle carrying a big black pug in a mesh trailer behind her and it always brightened my day :)

I haven't seen that sweet little pug in like 4 days now and it's really bumming me out ;-;
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I also wave at cars that don't run me over when I'm running in the street.
  • LittleMiss1D10
    LittleMiss1D10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also wave at cars that don't run me over when I'm running in the street.

Haha me too :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Nope ignore.
  • lisahm777
    lisahm777 Posts: 12
    Options
    I smile - which I'm sure comes across as a grimace -- or give a head nod. If the other runner speaks to me, I'll (attempt LOL) to speak back.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Nod and smile while running/biking the forest path.

It's friendly and just in case there comes a day when I pass out on the path, people will want to help the nice friendly girl instead of kicking me and running on while chuckling diabolically.

Edited to add: I sweat a LOT from my face and a nod/smile let's people know that I am okay and not on the verge of heat stroke. In the past random strangers have asked if I was okay because they were alarmed by super sweaty face.
  • Odinisgod
    Odinisgod Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One Saturday morning jog, I passed by a walker. Feeling generous, I gave him the slightest of nods. The nod, was not returned. Never again.