sb599h.gif
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    3760105-inbeforethelockij.gif
  • dorisopen9
    dorisopen9 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Aren't they discussing general weight loss for the public at large? How does something that affects a subset of people with a particular type of diabetes apply?
    Because the difference between a fat person and a fat person with type II diabetes is often only the level of insulin resistance. :wink:
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    i REALLY, want her to COME BACK! It's my absolute FAVORITE to read posts with emphasis on IMPORTANT WOOOOORRRRRRDS.

totes.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Aren't they discussing general weight loss for the public at large? How does something that affects a subset of people with a particular type of diabetes apply?
    Because the difference between a fat person and a fat person with type II diabetes is often only the level of insulin resistance. :wink:

I think you miss the point :wink:

And no, it's not.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    In.

best_animated_images_car_jump_in.gif

Yes. Yes. Just, yes.

In for when OP returns. If she returns.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Evidence to support this comparison?
  • dorisopen9
    Options
    And no, it's not.
    Prove it. :tongue:
  • jessicoria
    jessicoria Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    All in for this one.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Isn't that a pretty big difference?

Or is the idea that seeing how a system that malfunctions reacts in a specific set of circumstances gives us insight into mechanisms you wouldn't be able to flag in a normal system?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    And no, it's not.

I think you fail to see how this works... You spout off a claim, then you're the one who is supposed to back it up. Nom sayin?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I needed the chuckle this morning. Thanks, OP.

Overconfident kiddo vs. Scientist. Cage match on Sunday Sunday Sunday.

In for the cage match!!

and me.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    In...
    af7f0828f067c92f9776856397ad88bd.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You say that as if it's some minor difference. Diabetes is an incredibly dramatic metabolic disease that drastically affects how the body responds to food.

Advice for diabetics should NOT be applied to the general population.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @EvgeniZyntx
    My personal position is that, while meal frequency does have some effects on a variety of hormones, it really is a question of preference and not the single solution for all in terms of general weight loss. Thermogenesis studies tend to show that energy balance is really more about total calories than meal frequency or meal timing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592618

I am sure you don't mind some science ;)

Have you read this one:
    http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/files/Kahleova.pdf

This suggests that meal frequency makes a difference, at least in type II diabetics. Not sure what the underlying mechanism is although I strongly suspect that insulin might be involved somehow. I'll certainly watch that space.

I apologise wholeheartedly to all spectators for pulling this thread back on a more factual level. :flowerforyou:

That's an interesting read and and similar work on insulin resistance is one of the reasons for my caveat. Insulin sensitivity seems to the current hypothesis for the mechanism of action. The general criticism one can make on these studies is that since consumption is self-reported (even in a well designed cross-over study like this one) one might be likelier to over consume a 6x meals than at 2x - and the idea that these are iso-caloric diets might not be true.

In real world application - it might not make a difference. IF or 2 meals might be superior for a lot of people because one eats less if the window of eating is smaller.

With regards to the mechanism of action - I have the opinion that it's too early to say "insulin" given that few of these studies are set up to look at leptin or ghrelin or other markers over large populations over large diet periods. I expect that it is complex and that, in reality meal timing and meal frequency do have role but that this role is so secondary to total calories and consistent tracking that they can be ignored.

--- that's for the science ---

Personal: I can't IF because my activity plan may vary a lot each day and type of activity leads to "crash and burn" situations. I tried it a few years ago with the idea that my body would be used to only eating in the afternoon/evening and a 5-hour morning bike climb on the Karwendel near Munich with little in me (day two of a multi-day ride) left me zapped and in a dangerous situation.

Now, back to the trainwreck... I hope.:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    And no, it's not.

I think you fail to see how this works... You spout off a claim, then you're the one who is supposed to back it up. Nom sayin?

To be fair, it's really difficult to put so much energy into cleverly scolding people for giffing while hoping they don't notice that you're not actually contributing any science into a science based conversation...all in the name of, "pulling this thread back on a more factual level."
  • dorisopen9
    Options
    You say that as if it's some minor difference. Diabetes is an incredibly dramatic metabolic disease that drastically affects how the body responds to food.
    It's not one major step, it's a sliding scale.
    Advice for diabetics should NOT be applied to the general population.
    If you follow my link you might notice that it's a study and not advise, nor have I given advice.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    This is great. I might as well get in on the action:

OP, where did you "study nutrition" between the ages of 19 and 22?

I believe her profile states - "Currently living in China teaching english to children." and
    "I enjoy studying nutrition and practicing a healthy lifestyle. "

I enjoy learning, too. Doesn't mean I am formally studying at present.

You can help Chinese children learn English, without being an English teacher.

English as a foreign language doesn't require the same level of qualifications as being an English teacher in British schools (don't know about the USA)....... To teach EFL takes a very intensive and not easy course that lasts around 1 month. To teach in a school in the UK you need 4 years at university - 3 years undergrad plus one year postgrad (PGCE) or a 4 year teaching degree (that's the same amount of study and school experience as doing the 3 year degree + one year PGCE. So to teach EFL you can do that with any degree and a 1 month course... to teach English in high schools you need an undergrad degree in English followed by a 1 year postgraduate course. (primary school teachers teach all subjects but must have an undergrad degree in a national curriculum subject)

You can actually teach English as a foreign language with no teaching qualifications at all in many countries, because I was accepted at a school in Saudi on the basis of being a native speaker and having a degree (subject doesn't matter), and I know at least one international language school that will routinely take people with just an undergraduate degree and being a native speaker to work as English as a foreign language teachers.

So it's not the same at all.

This is not to diss people who teach EFL... I've done that for years. But it's totally not in the same league as school English teachers who have to teach stuff like Shakespeare.
This discussion has been closed.