Must-Read INFO on Metabolism, Gaining and Losing

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm in, this looks like it will be a fantastic trainwreck until it's locked or rolls.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, the difference between "hault" and "halt" or "your" and "you're" doesn't require much knowledge of Hamlet.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    sb599h.gif

classic
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    So in...
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

I see evidence of some links between diabetics and the obese (For instance, "Obesity is associated with an increased risk of developing insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1716747) (Really? I had never heard that before)...not,
    "the difference between a fat person and a fat person with type II diabetes is often only the level of insulin resistance."

Show me a specific quote from a study that demonstrates a strong enough comparison between the obese, and diabetics, that the blanket application of dietary restrictions should be applied equally (with regards to eating times and hormone regulation) to both groups for optimal weight loss. (Unless we're not discussing weight loss for the general population anymore.) It should probably also not be limited to diabetics and the morbidly obese, since not everyone trying to lose weight falls into one of those two categories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You say that as if it's some minor difference. Diabetes is an incredibly dramatic metabolic disease that drastically affects how the body responds to food.
    It's not one major step, it's a sliding scale.
    Advice for diabetics should NOT be applied to the general population.
    If you follow my link you might notice that it's a study and not advise, nor have I given advice.

Wut.

You posted a study suggesting that meal frequency matters in diabetics.

Fine.

Then someone posted basically "yeah but that's diabetics and doesn't apply to people in general."

Your response: "Because the difference between a fat person and a fat person with type II diabetes is often only the level of insulin resistance." followed by an obnoxious condescending winky-face.

Your implication is abundantly clear, and abundantly irrelevant. I was unsurprised to learn that you're diabetic yourself, as you're clearly filtering everything through this lens.

Let's put it straight: advice for diabetics can in no way be extrapolated to the population at large, and as such the entirety of your participation in this thread is misleading, irrelevant, and harmful.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    This is great. I might as well get in on the action:

OP, where did you "study nutrition" between the ages of 19 and 22?

I believe her profile states - "Currently living in China teaching english to children." and
    "I enjoy studying nutrition and practicing a healthy lifestyle. "

I enjoy learning, too. Doesn't mean I am formally studying at present.

You can help Chinese children learn English, without being an English teacher.

English as a foreign language doesn't require the same level of qualifications as being an English teacher in British schools (don't know about the USA)....... To teach EFL takes a very intensive and not easy course that lasts around 1 month. To teach in a school in the UK you need 4 years at university - 3 years undergrad plus one year postgrad (PGCE) or a 4 year teaching degree (that's the same amount of study and school experience as doing the 3 year degree + one year PGCE. So to teach EFL you can do that with any degree and a 1 month course... to teach English in high schools you need an undergrad degree in English followed by a 1 year postgraduate course. (primary school teachers teach all subjects but must have an undergrad degree in a national curriculum subject)

You can actually teach English as a foreign language with no teaching qualifications at all in many countries, because I was accepted at a school in Saudi on the basis of being a native speaker and having a degree (subject doesn't matter), and I know at least one international language school that will routinely take people with just an undergraduate degree and being a native speaker to work as English as a foreign language teachers.

So it's not the same at all.

This is not to diss people who teach EFL... I've done that for years. But it's totally not in the same league as school English teachers who have to teach stuff like Shakespeare.

Let's add to irony of it all, as far as this thread goes in which I'm soliloquized with a "16 year-old" and "your (sic) uneducated", it just so happens that English IS my second language and I was, at one time, an ESL student.

From what I understand from other expats participating in the program, the Chinese ESL program is vast and needs so many teachers that a degree in English or Education is not a requirement. I make no assumptions on our OPs capacity - perhaps in her brashness and certainty of superiority she felt no need to re-read her text before pressing <post>?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Wow, this definitely turned out to be anticlimactic. OP, as I suspected, you never reply to being challenged on what you spout because you lack the ability to back it up. Tsk tsk.

Except for the faceless WE trying to yell "Diabeeeetus" as always. All roads always leads to diabeeeeetus.
    It's 10:36 PM in Beijing. I still hold out hope she'll be back.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You know what........ I think the phrases "metabolic damage" and "damaging the metabolism" and its relatives like "wrecked my metabolism" and the like need to be challenged.

Yes I'm being pedantic. But dieting will never wreck your metabolism. Adaptive thermogenesis is real, but it's not your metabolism being wrecked, it's your metabolism doing what it's been shaped by millions of years of evolution to do... i.e. slow down a little to conserve resources in a food shortage. It's not wrecked, damaged or broken... it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It's working just fine. It's just that it's working in a way that's optimal for surviving famines, not in a way that's optimal for having big muscles and a low body fat percentage.

I'll tell you what does wreck your metabolism though... cyanide. Cyanide ions mess with enzymes in your mitochondria, and that causes cellular respiration to come to a standstill, and if that's going on in enough of your mitochondria, you die. Cyanide really does wreck your metabolism.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jonnythan
    Options
    it just so happens that English IS my second language and I was, at one time, an ESL student.

You'd never know it.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'll tell you what does wreck your metabolism though... cyanide. Cyanide ions mess with enzymes in your mitochondria, and that causes cellular respiration to come to a standstill, and if that's going on in enough of your mitochondria, you die. Cyanide really does wreck your metabolism.

And DNP!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    You know what........ I think the phrases "metabolic damage" and "damaging the metabolism" and its relatives like "wrecked my metabolism" and the like need to be challenged.

Yes I'm being pedantic. But dieting will never wreck your metabolism. Adaptive thermogenesis is real, but it's not your metabolism being wrecked, it's your metabolism doing what it's been shaped by millions of years of evolution to do... i.e. slow down a little to conserve resources in a food shortage. It's not wrecked, damaged or broken... it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It's working just fine. It's just that it's working in a way that's optimal for surviving famines, not in a way that's optimal for having big muscles and a low body fat percentage.

If we're going to be changing gen pop terminology can I add in a few of my own?

It's not a shark attack, it's a shark investigation. If the shark was trying to eat your leg, trust me, your leg would be GONE.

It's not a starfish, it's a seastar, because it's not a damn fish.

Man, that feels better! :drinker:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

It's not a shark attack, it's a shark investigation. If the shark was trying to eat your leg, trust me, your leg would be GONE.

You have no idea what all your fish-talk does for me.

office-space-drew-o-face-o-1.gif

(It's an O-Face gif from Office Space. I'm getting better at remembering you can't always see them.)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I pulled the cyanide card the other day and was schooled that it was an important component in some process or another. It CAN wreck your metabolism - in unhealthy doses. Sigh.
  • jonnythan
    Options

George is with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKdvTecYAM
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So I was too lazy to read anything other than the first page of responses, but does the OP provide any sources to back up her claims? I saw no citations at the end of her post.

LOL no.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    So I was too lazy to read anything other than the first page of responses, but does the OP provide any sources to back up her claims? I saw no citations at the end of her post.

Well, if you consider "I'm 22 and studied nutrition for THREE YEARS" a citation, then absolutely.
This discussion has been closed.