Obscure Film Favorites

Options

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    The Court Jester with Danny Kaye... Angela Lansbury was the young beautiful princess... I still laugh histarically everytime I see it... Unfortunately, it's hard to find and I only have an old VHS copy that is almost beyond ability to watch.
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    The Red Shoes.Le Passion de Jean D'Arc (1928).
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Deliverance
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    The Exterminating Angel

There is another movie called Exterminating Angels. It is the most awful movie ever made. Seriously, most awful EVER made. I only watch it for the lesbian scenes.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Guilty Pleasure list:

The Wizard (1989) Christian Slater, Fred Savage, and Jenny Lewis before she switched to singing.

Oh The Wizard. Basically a coming-of-age commercial for Nintendo and Super Mario Bros 3. I was 9 when it came out and me and my younger siblings LOVED it!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Oh and Lord's of Dogtown with Heath Ledger about the skateboard movement in California in the 70's. I literally grew up in it.

I second this one!

Beautiful Girls

Jack Goes Boating

A Big Year (a strange combo with Steve Martin, Owen Wilson and Jack Black, but it works!)
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The Dark Backward
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My favs- that no one I am around has seen or gets my references. ( I love throwing in movie quotes when the occasion calls for it)

Grosse Point Blank
    So I Married an ax Murderer
    Hudson Hawk

The only people that get my references are my hubby and now my 15 year old son.

I love those movies! Oh, if only I could make my family enjoy them as well.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Student Bodies. It's an Allan Smithee film, that should be all I need to say...

It's not so bad it's good. It's so bad it's AMAZING! Totally self-referential parody movie that is damn near impossible to find.. so quotable, but no one but me and my little brother has ever seen it!

I've seen it! Can't quote it though. My husband and his friend love movies like this, and whenever his friend is visiting, they always watch movies. So, they made me watch this one. I actually did like it. Now, Troll 2 (which they also made me watch) is a movie that, to me, is so bad it is still just bad (although they think it is so bad it is good.)

My list would be:

A Mighty Wind
    Let's go to Prison
    In Bruges (I don't know if this is that obscure, but I know very few people who have heard of it)

I hesitate to add my very favorite cult classic because it isn't really obscure anymore, even though it is a cult classic, but that would be The Princess Bride.

Edited to add my favorite guilty pleasure movie- ****, with Michelle Williams and Kirsten Dunst.

Edit again, because MFP starred out the name of the movie! D!ck. Come on MFP, it's Richard Nixon!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The Court Jester with Danny Kaye... Angela Lansbury was the young beautiful princess... I still laugh histarically everytime I see it... Unfortunately, it's hard to find and I only have an old VHS copy that is almost beyond ability to watch.

It was on Amazon Prime although I'd have to check to see if it's still there. Love that movie, although I can never recall the exact lines about the vessel with the pestle bit.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My 2 favourite films at the 39 steps and the lady vanishes. Love them both
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Not obscure, but fav cult classics are A Clockwork Orange and Rocky Horror Picture Show!!!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Saving Grace
    The Van (1996)
    The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain
    Calendar Girls
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sharknado. Best movie ever!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    (Edited to add the "Before" trilogy... how could I forget those???)

I didn't add the Before trilogy, because I don't consider them obscure, but they detail perhaps the most extraordinary film romance ever crafted. Well the first two I can say for certain as I've not seen Midnight yet.
    Sharknado. Best movie ever!

HAHA! We just watched that two weeks ago, my sister and me. Go Steve Sanders!
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The Girl with Dragon Tattoo swedish version

the_girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_cover.jpg

It's on my list, I'm going to watch all three of the Swedish ones before the English one!

Definitely do that. I loved the Swedish versions.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Kikujiro
    Bombon El Perro
    Chopper
    36 Quai des Orfèvres
  • Stopher100481
    Stopher100481 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh there are so many to choose from! I guess 1 of my favorites that nobody ever knows when I mention it would have be the Cube, it's actually a trilogy though.

I've seen Cube but I never knew it was a trilogy, are the rest any good?
  • Stopher100481
    Stopher100481 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    "Nowhere" It's so weird I love it.
    But I nearly hate it.

It was a Greg Araki film with a lot of 90's pop culture people in it.

I love the review lol, a love/hate relationship.

I've never heard of it and sadly cant' find it
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Here are three movies I liked that none of my friends have ever heard of.

Better Off Dead - 1985 - John Cusak - Very light hearted silly movie
    Antwone Fisher - 2002 - Denzil Washington - Heart warming story of overcoming the odds
    One From the heart - 1982 - Terri Garr, Raul Julia - Directed by Francis Ford Coppola - Great Soundtrack