My Name is Julie, and I'm an Alcoholic

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You are not a victim - you are sick. To those who say 'just stop' or 'stop being a victim', don't you think that if we could just decide to be better, we would? Can you will away cancer? Can you will away heart disease? Kindly keep your mouth shut if you have nothing valuable to offer.

Playing devil’s advocate here.

I understand you can’t just STOP. I was there I couldn’t. It took something for me to make me stop. The key is finding that thing that has enough leverage to make you stop. Either you will find it and stop and get on a better path or you won’t. Yes programs are there to help you find it but a lot of times they also continue to enable people to play “victim” roles.

Can you will away cancer? No. But you can take the steps necessary to not incur it to begin with. i.e. don’t smoke, or put that overly processed junk food into your body.
    (Yes I eat fast food on occasion. Yes I understand the risks. No I will not blame anyone but me)

Can you will away heart disease? No. But again, someone taking care of themselves properly, really what are the chances of them having it?

The thing is everyone, myself included needs to take responsibility for themselves. If everyone did that alone we’d have a quarter of the issues we have today. But then again lets cater to those who “can’t”.

P.S. Flame on!

It sounds like you have good intentions here, but I can't take it seriously if you're going to say that processed foods cause/contribute to cancer.

And who says the OP isn't trying to take responsibility for themselves? I think admitting her faults in the OP is a good start.
  • StajaB
    StajaB Posts: 51
    Options

The fact is, you've chosen to play the victim. People who use terms that empower failure like "anxiety disorder" and "depression" don't know that they are simply bolstering their weaknesses to control them by giving them a name.

This is ignorant. I have a severe mental illness, and I assure you it doesn't belong in quotes. People who suffer from mental illnesses are not weak. People who suffer from mental illnesses often need medical intervention. People use substances to self-medicate to try and stop the agony. The mentally ill don't need lectures about victimhood or bootstrapping. Yes, it takes will power to get on the recovered road, but if there's a mental illness that needs to be addressed, getting sober is only part of the process.

I have to agree with that a person who has not 1st hand suffered mental illness has no right to judge how you make yourself better. Admitting there is a problem to yourself is so very very difficult, and admitting it to others takes a mass amount of strength. It is a positive first step into recovery! Good for you! Co-morbidity rates (alcohol/drug abuse along side mental illness) are really high and climbing.

I have 5 different mental illnesses, that I have been struggling with for a really long time. I have had my addictions (pills and cutting) and loss of control. DBT saved my life. If you can't see a one on one therapist there are resources out there. Workbooks that are available at the bookstore, or online. Free support groups and classes. NAMI's peer to peer program is amazing! People love you and WANT to help you be wholly healthy- mind, body, and spirit. You can do this! Just don't focus on getting sober, losing weight, and regaining mental clarity all at once. You won't solve these massive problems in a day or week. One step and one breath at a time is the way to go. Setbacks may even occur, and that is ok. YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This post is an example of why I don't trust therapists. It is not uncommon at all for therapists to be the ones most in need of help. Not saying all therapists are no good, but you have to be really careful when trying to find one. A lot of people that need therapy become therapists and social workers instead of just getting the help that they need. And then they are the ones "helping" people. It's a vicious cycle. I still always want to recommend that people get professional help because us random internet people can't do it (even if we were/are trained).
  • WolnaDusza
    WolnaDusza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    IN RESPONSE TO ARGUABLYSAMSON's long post

As a recovering alcoholic, NOTHING changed until I looked outside of my own selfish pain and made a concerted effort to do anything and everything to get well. I'd exhibited enough attention getting behaviors before I realized I wasn't serving anyone nor myself. Your duty to yourself, those who love and support you and those you serve in your job is to confront the sources of your pain and work on positive channeling of your energy and talent.

Julie, your response to his post shows you aren't ready. I hope you will be soon.....a good and peaceful life awaits you. Maybe you need rehab, detox, definitely counseling, group therapy....no one is buying those liquor bottles and stashing them in your purse but you. I know, I was there. And you need to be honest with yourself.

The forums on here are not what you need. There are AA forums, women processing trauma forums etc. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You are not a victim - you are sick. To those who say 'just stop' or 'stop being a victim', don't you think that if we could just decide to be better, we would? Can you will away cancer? Can you will away heart disease? Kindly keep your mouth shut if you have nothing valuable to offer.

Playing devil’s advocate here.

I understand you can’t just STOP. I was there I couldn’t. It took something for me to make me stop. The key is finding that thing that has enough leverage to make you stop. Either you will find it and stop and get on a better path or you won’t. Yes programs are there to help you find it but a lot of times they also continue to enable people to play “victim” roles.

Can you will away cancer? No. But you can take the steps necessary to not incur it to begin with. i.e. don’t smoke, or put that overly processed junk food into your body.
    (Yes I eat fast food on occasion. Yes I understand the risks. No I will not blame anyone but me)

Can you will away heart disease? No. But again, someone taking care of themselves properly, really what are the chances of them having it?

The thing is everyone, myself included needs to take responsibility for themselves. If everyone did that alone we’d have a quarter of the issues we have today. But then again lets cater to those who “can’t”.

P.S. Flame on!

I believe I then commended her for taking the first step and that it has to come from within. Glad you overcame. I am NOT a victim. And I don't believe the OP is a victim and I don't think taking initiative to take care of herself is somehow claiming victim status. I believe she wants and needs help for an illness.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My name is Kris. I am not an alcoholic, but I do have addictions. Serious ones. And I belong to a 12 step program to help with that. My addiction is not the same as yours but I do understand the itch under your skin, crawl to get the fix, I need it NOW or I won't be able to function feeling. I remember seeing a bumpter sticker once that said, "Don't judge me because I sin differently than you." My "sin" is different than yours but I understand the craving.

It is possible. Really it is. It is possible to get sober and clean and healthy. Yep, it is. Will you be perfect? Heck no, so get that out of your mind. Will you even be semi-perfect? Nope. If your journey is anything like mine, you will slip and slide into progress.

A word of advice from someone who knows--get a sponsor right away. Find someone who will call you on your BS.

This is your journey. You can do it. I know you can, because I did. And I'm the biggest idiot on the planet. :)
    This a fantastic post, it helps when you know someone understands your struggles. Don't give up, you've reached out for help and that's the biggest first step. Use AA, it's there for a reason. It helped my Grandfather quit drinking and my Grandmother was an on-call person that people spoke to when they first attempted to contact AA. They do not judge, they understand and want to help you. I wish you the best of luck in your journey and dump the friends who think hurting yourself is any kind of answer. Praying for you and for peaceful beginnings...
  • kattbyrd67
    kattbyrd67 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You sound ready and you will not fail. Also, you have no control over anyone but yourself; therefore, you cannot cause anyone else to fail. Don't take that burden onto yourself. If they fail, THEY fail; it won't be because of you. You can do this! It sounds like you really want it, but you will need help. You've overcome your fears enough to reach out to all of us. Now, you just have to find the strength to reach out to those closer to you and ask for help. I can almost guarantee you that they are just waiting for you to be ready to ask.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    And SHAME on those who slapped her hand when she clearly was reaching out for help. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. This is why society is the way it is. We should be trying to help people, not make them feel worthless. Every life is worth fighting for.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    This post is an example of why I don't trust therapists. It is not uncommon at all for therapists to be the ones most in need of help.

Have to agree with this 100%. You really have to know who you are talking to before you spill your guts to a therapist or any other type of shrink. Problem is, it's very difficult to know. Imagine finding out after the fact that your shrink is a recreational drug user, drunk, and cutter with multiple psychiatric illnesses? That might put you off shrinks for a lifetime. And with good cause. Shrinks should be approached with extreme caution or not at all.

(My use of the words "you" and "your" are not directed at you Binary. Just general usage, addressed to no one in particular.)

Oh, yes, I have seen the dark side.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The fact is, you've chosen to play the victim. People who use terms that empower failure like "anxiety disorder" and "depression" don't know that they are simply bolstering their weaknesses to control them by giving them a name. You are the way you are. You have weaknesses, but you beat those by putting forth the mental energy to compensate, not empower them to envelop you by justifying them as if they were a permanent part of you. You can beat them when you decide you need to, when you get sick and tired enough of losing. You can, and maybe you will, but you will have to completely overhaul your thinking for that to happen.

This actually made me feel like truly taking the selfish, childish, attention seeking path of wrist slicing in the bath tub. You sir, are an *kitten* hole. Don't go into social services. Become a drill sargeant who admires birds that freeze to death without ever complaining of the colfd.
    OP, I'm very happy that you saw through this post for what it was -- complete and utter ignorant BS. It was clearly written by someone who has no education or understanding whatsoever about the physiology of anxiety and depression. Depression is a disease that requires care, just like any other disease. Especially if you have a history of major depression, it's more likely to recur and require continued treatment. I hope you can find a path that helps you through all of it.
  • ilyahna2014
    Options
    In response to those folks that have positive comments and thoughtful supportive advice, thank you.

In response to those that suggested that I take a step back from my clients while going through this, you are correct in this sentiment and I have done with professional advice and understanding at work.

To the woman that suggested social workers become social workers to "solve their own problems," you're just ****ing nuts. People generally become social agents of some kind because they have had pain in their life or mental illness in their past or current (and are managing it) which ay many times in my past I have also. Things got bad for when I let alcohol take over to "band aid" my loss of therapy. And also, GENIUS, therapists at many agencies REQUIRE to attend weekly sessions because it's a HARD JOB.

And it ain't about the money.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    In response to those folks that have positive comments and thoughtful supportive advice, thank you.

In response to those that suggested that I take a step back from my clients while going through this, you are correct in this sentiment and I have done with professional advice and understanding at work.

To the woman that suggested social workers become social workers to "solve their own problems," you're just ****ing nuts. People generally become social agents of some kind because they have had pain in their life or mental illness in their past or current (and are managing it) which ay many times in my past I have also. Things got bad for when I let alcohol take over to "band aid" my loss of therapy. And also, GENIUS, therapists at many agencies REQUIRE to attend weekly sessions because it's a HARD JOB.

I know it is a hard job and I know it isn't about the money. Many of us have been hurt in the past and seen others be hurt. That is where I am coming from in what I said. It comes from my own hurt. This topic brings it up, a lot of it. Not because I'm nuts (yet another example of why you should be stepping away from this field at this time).

I'm really sorry that you are suffering as you are. I'm glad you have professional support to step away from your job at this time. I'm sorry that I hurt you with what I said. I should have held my tongue on that.

Also, I do know people that turned their lives around and were able to go back into the field and be excellent at it. I hope you will be able to do that. It is hard work. And from this post, I can see you are burned out from it.

My original advice was that I think you should go into inpatient rehab (tell them that you are suicidal). Find a therapist in training (one that has not been burned out) that works with an agency on a sliding scale based on income need. Considering that you work in the field, you should know how to find the resources that you need, otherwise how are you helping others to find the resources they need.
  • JoyfulShout
    Options
    I have not traveled this road, so I can't help. However, I can pray for you. Dear Father God, we lift up your daughter Julie. We pray that you would help her to battle her demons in the way that only you can. Father God, help her to realize her worth and value, and hold her head up when she is drowning. Please be the lifeline and rescue that only you can be. Please put people and resources in her path that will help her overcome her addition. In Jesus' name, amen.

I don't know you but each one of us has worth in this world. You are so loved and you are made for more than a vicious cycle of defeat.I pray that you will be well.
  • ilyahna2014
    Options

I know it is a hard job and I know it isn't about the money. Many of us have been hurt in the past and seen others be hurt. That is where I am coming from in what I said. It comes from my own hurt. This topic brings it up, a lot of it. Not because I'm nuts (yet another example of why you should be stepping away from this field at this time).

I'm really sorry that you are suffering as you are. I'm glad you have professional support to step away from your job at this time. I'm sorry that I hurt you with what I said. I should have held my tongue on that.

Also, I do know people that turned their lives around and were able to go back into the field and be excellent at it. I hope you will be able to do that. It is hard work. And from this post, I can see you are burned out from it.

My original advice was that I think you should go into inpatient rehab (tell them that you are suicidal). Find a therapist in training (one that has not been burned out) that works with an agency on a sliding scale based on income need. Considering that you work in the field, you should know how to find the resources that you need, otherwise how are you helping others to find the resources they need.

My "emotional drain" and burden on my depression management is not because I'm "burned out". My dad is dying of cancer. Wtf? I love my work. I love seeing my clients and a great deal about my career. After what transpires with my father, no, i will not be taking your unfounded recommendation that I "step away from this kind of work."
  • ilyahna2014
    Options
    Might I suggest reading the book "Rational Recovery" by Jack Trimpey. It suggests another road to recovery other than AA. The author is a social worker and was addicted to alcohol himself. You should be able to buy it on Amazon for not too much. This book is the ONLY thing that has worked for my addiction when 12 step programs and therapy failed. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It sounds cliche, but it is entirely the truth when I call it life changing. Friend request or message me if you want more info. You CAN do this!

I will read this ! Thank you!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

My "emotional drain" and burden on my depression management is not because I'm "burned out". My dad is dying of cancer. Wtf? I love my work. I love seeing my clients and a great deal about my career. After what transpires with my father, no, i will not be taking your unfounded recommendation that I "step away from this kind of work."

I just meant to go to rehab and get sober and healthy.
  • ilyahna2014
    Options
    And SHAME on those who slapped her hand when she clearly was reaching out for help. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. This is why society is the way it is. We should be trying to help people, not make them feel worthless. Every life is worth fighting for.

Thank you. That brought tears to my eyes.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never said this to anyone.

It's the reason I cannot succeed at dieting. I have these small bottles I hide in my purse that I know are 625 calories, (half pints) and when it gets bad, they're twice that size. Dexter nearly fell in love with his sponsor in his journey when she talked about her "dark passenger," I still I cry when I think of it. It's so true. it's an "other" thing. A clawing thing that wants to go through life with me that I don't know how to get rid of.

Funny thing? I'm a social worker. I was a hardcore drug addict. If it dissolved in a needle it went in my body. I found the boundary of life and death so many times, and I found that it was .... like some thought was pushing you back. LIke ... this can't be the end. I'm laying on the floor of a house in backwoods Tennessee with nothing but a man that doesn't give a **** about me and can't feel my limbs, can't speak, can't move. Can feel nothing but my spirit. It was some dark, empty thing that didn't wan to go yet, for some reason.I went to school to be a social worker because i *know* what rock bottom is.

I think I'm getting close that again.

I've had generalized anxiety disorder and major depression all my life. I remember symptoms when I was six. I got hives from stress. They accused my parents of abusing me, which they never did. Depression is so much a part of my life I have no other idea of how to live. I have medications that moderate it now (Viibryrd) but I seem to be a rare case.

I am a prey animal. I was taught by an anxious abused woman to fear people. I do. I fear traffic, I fear relationships, I fear co-workers,....some days I feel more at home with my clients.

I can't do this anymore. I have to stop drinking. My boyfriend has been very supportive, and but is fed up with my lying, amd there's a time stamp on it with making an effort now. I have to go to AA. I am so ****ing scared. I'm scared I'll fail and I'll cause others to relapse because I'm a failure.

I've been to therapy. The only thing that ever helped me was a DBT class that I got kicked out of because my county would pay for my psychiatric meds, but not the help I really need.

Please, please, if there are any people here that are going through this, you are not alone. Please friend me.

You already know how to help yourself. But here you are, making a post for attention and garnering sympathy which you believe is the support needed to change. It won't work. You will fail like before. Nothing will change unless you change it. Things will always be as they have been because you aren't yet ready to make the changes to take you in a new direction. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and stop being immature. That is what you are doing. These "meetings" become addicting and pretty soon, you start to feed on how everyone reacts to you and their "needing" your returned support. It's a vicious cycle of selfishness.

Having known close family members who have been and are drug addicts/alcoholics, the root problem here is a lack of self-worth--that and a selfish imbalance stemming from a serious lack of psychological development. For whatever reason, you never learned that life isn't about you, that it's not about being praised or condemned. It just...is. You fit into it; it doesn't fit into you; you MAKE it; it doesn't make you. You can either conform and start playing by the same give-and-take rules as the rest of productive society, or you can wallow with "treatment programs" and other forms of "me, me, me" like you've been doing.

The fact is, you've chosen to play the victim. People who use terms that empower failure like "anxiety disorder" and "depression" don't know that they are simply bolstering their weaknesses to control them by giving them a name. You are the way you are. You have weaknesses, but you beat those by putting forth the mental energy to compensate, not empower them to envelop you by justifying them as if they were a permanent part of you. You can beat them when you decide you need to, when you get sick and tired enough of losing. You can, and maybe you will, but you will have to completely overhaul your thinking for that to happen.

You will always be an addict, yes, but you can decide it is time to stop the cycle and move on. You can learn to kick the *kitten* of your problems and decide to live life as an alpha when you realize just how silly you are being from throwing up the "woe is me!' sentiments. Step back and look at how everything in your life is a wreck. Why is that? Why is it that weight loss, psychological instability, AND drug-use are all washing up on your shores? It's because, for one reason or another, you never learned to function, to reason, to sacrifice, or to process feelings as you needed to. It doesn't really matter why you are the way you are (a lot of us share or have shared the same struggles). What matters is that you aren't done learning yet, which is why it is time to affect those much-needed changes.

In your mind, you are at the center of your own universe, but instead, you should view yourself like a heart or a lung, or perhaps just a blood cell--a small part of a greater whole that can be made to function better when you do your part (instead of justifying why you fail and refuse to move forward).

Skinner said that depression is just the inability to construct a future. That means, we should always be planning and moving forward, if only in some small way. Never revel in failures because when you get back up and keep moving forward perpetually, the odds of your finally winning become so stacked in your favor that you basically can't lose.

I know this has sounded harsh, but I hope you will consider these words.

This actually made me feel like truly taking the selfish, childish, attention seeking path of wrist slicing in the bath tub. You sir, are an *kitten* hole. Don't go into social services. Become a drill sargeant who admires birds that freeze to death without ever complaining of the colfd.

I'm not going to get into the details, but I struggle with some similar issues and I found his post to be increadibly insightful. It's definitely a different perspective, but I appreciate much of what he said.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I'm sorry I got involved in this conversation.
  • fatbastardslim1980
    Options
    Im sure she became a social worker to help other people. When you have been through hard times; it is rewarding to help others in their strugles. It is a way to turn a negative into a positive to help others. I dont see how anyone could say it is selfish and that it is to help themselfs. I thought this forum was to help people; not kick them while they are down.