Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Replies

• princessagb2013
    princessagb2013 Posts: 3 Member
    I have never posted before but as a long-time runner, I wanted to address something that I haven't seen in this long thread (I read the first 4 pages and probably the last 4) so if this has been mentioned previously, I apologize ...

You will reach a point in your training that your long runs will take a lot of time. Be prepared for the training to consume your HOURS and HOURS of your life, every single week, for much of the marathon training plan - that is neither good or bad, it just is.

For example, if my training plan lists a 6 mile long-run, I am looking at a 3 1/2 hour time commitment

I need to fuel at least an hour before I run any more then 3 miles so if I plan to be out the door by 7:00 a.m., I am finished eating breakfast by 6:00 a.m. which means getting out of bed about 5:30.

Warm up walk - 15 minutes - so I start running at 7:15

For the sake of easy math, assume I run 11 minute miles. That means, running 6 miles takes 66 minutes so I finish my run at 8:21 (if it is hot and humid, add 2 minutes per mile so 8:33)

Cool down - 15 minutes so I finish at between 8:36 and 8:48

Then, I can't just jump into the shower and get on with my day, between recovery fuel and just getting my body temperature to cool down a bit, I probably get into the shower by 9:15 at the earliest...

So, a 6 mile run "starts" at 5:30 a.m. and ends with getting into the shower at 9:15.

For every additional mile on your long run, add 11 - 13 minutes - so 20 miles would take over 3 hours longer.

Is it worth it? Yes, for me it is (although, I have not trained for a marathon, at this point in my life, I am simply not willing to devote that much of my weekends to my running. I do, however, have several half-marathons under my belt)

When I am actively training for a race, training IS what takes up my free time and it is something that I choose to do. During active training, my weekends revolve around my training runs, not the other way around.

I had no idea what the actual time commitment would be when I began training - It caught me by surprise, that is for sure.

Good luck, I hope the marathon is everything you envision it to be

P.S. I cannot emphasize enough once increasing your base SLOWLY - I ended up with severe tendonitis in my foot before my first half-marathon, and it is something that I will need to deal with for the rest of my life.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    ^^^ LOVE THIS POST!!!

Also, you will be doing a lot of your training over winter. You won't just be able to skip a week or wait a few days until the weather clears up, so accept the fact you will be running in the rain, sleet and snow, and when it's icy underfoot (Yaktrax are great for icy days). Then because most marathons are April/May it's a toss-up whether you'll be frying or hurtling through a monsoon!

The best way mentally prepare yourself is by dedicating to doing your run on the days scheduled whatever the weather. Treadmill sessions just won't cut it!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    ^^^ LOVE THIS POST!!!

Also, you will be doing a lot of your training over winter. You won't just be able to skip a week or wait a few days until the weather clears up, so accept the fact you will be running in the rain, sleet and snow, and when it's icy underfoot (Yaktrax are great for icy days). Then because most marathons are April/May it's a toss-up whether you'll be frying or hurtling through a monsoon!

The best way mentally prepare yourself is by dedicating to doing your run on the days scheduled whatever the weather. Treadmill sessions just won't cut it!

I have a marathon coming up at the end of the month. In the entirety of my training I've cut two runs short and that's it. One was on a day where I had a food/hydration issue and yesterday. I was supposed to be running 9 miles but only ran 6 3/4. It was raining, which was fine but the lighting started rolling in. I was counting between flashes and booms to see if the lightning was getting closer. Lightning struck the ground maybe 50 yards away, maybe closer. The flash was blinding, the thunder was deafening, the ground QUAKED under my feet. I was about a mile from my car and in the middle of the woods. I didn't mind I was soaked, but the lightning frightened me. I decided that nearly 7 miles was run enough and that I was getting out of the woods before the next strike made me soil myself.

Tapering slowly starts after my 20 mile run this sunday. Pretty well kills my sunday but my wife is taking me out after to a restaurant that has over a 100 beers on tap and killer burgers, you know, to refuel.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    ^^^ LOVE THIS POST!!!

I think she's in LA, so frying.

Also, I wouldn't knock treadmills. Salazar won Comrades after training almost exclusively on a treadmill. I'd rather take an eye out with a dull rusty spoon, but he was able to do it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
  • likitisplit
    ^^^ LOVE THIS POST!!!

I have a marathon coming up at the end of the month. In the entirety of my training I've cut two runs short and that's it. One was on a day where I had a food/hydration issue and yesterday. I was supposed to be running 9 miles but only ran 6 3/4. It was raining, which was fine but the lighting started rolling in. I was counting between flashes and booms to see if the lightning was getting closer. Lightning struck the ground maybe 50 yards away, maybe closer. The flash was blinding, the thunder was deafening, the ground QUAKED under my feet. I was about a mile from my car and in the middle of the woods. I didn't mind I was soaked, but the lightning frightened me. I decided that nearly 7 miles was run enough and that I was getting out of the woods before the next strike made me soil myself.

Tapering slowly starts after my 20 mile run this sunday. Pretty well kills my sunday but my wife is taking me out after to a restaurant that has over a 100 beers on tap and killer burgers, you know, to refuel.

You are insane. Your race can survive a missed run. YOU might not survive a lightening strike.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Night before: 10k's I usually eat noodles(pasta) and a protein or two, morning of usually oatmeal bake, coffee.
    I'll probably run 10k in the morning. I had chicken enchilada and a beer for lunch. Maybe I'll have some orange chicken for dinner. It won't matter one bit. You don't need to alter your diet for a 10k. Just eat whatever you normally eat from day to day. Just don't drink your weight in alcohol the night before.
    And friend chicken?!? Nope I wouldn't want it in my system
    Why would you eat your friends. I don't even know what it means to have a friend in your system. That's just odd.

It depends on the friend; nice catch BTW. :)
  • likitisplit
    tumblr_n25epnqvvT1soalt8o6_400.gif
  • likitisplit
    tumblr_n5qhsoZvt81rwiv0vo1_500.gif
  • likitisplit
    gif-cartoon-dance-snoopy-tgif-t-g-i-f-friday.gif?w=600
  • justal313
    ^^^ LOVE THIS POST!!!

You are insane. Your race can survive a missed run. YOU might not survive a lightening strike.

Which is why I cut and ran.
  • likitisplit
    ^^^ LOVE THIS POST!!!

I would describe it as "The better part of valor."

However, counting seconds was pushing it. :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-27208-1381845845-0.gif
  • justal313

I would describe it as "The better part of valor."

However, counting seconds was pushing it. :laugh:

It started as 15-20 seconds and ended with WHAT dafaq WAS THAT?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    We're getting close... set this thread free!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Good for you! My tips are:

1) Train well and rest when you need it!
    2) Walk during the marathon if you need to. Listen to your body and don't hurt yourself
    3) You can do anything you put your mind to!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    bump