Framed (1990) Jeff Goldblum & Kristen Scott Thomas
    Cuttthroat Island (1995) Geena Davis & Matthew Modine
    Like Water for Chocolate (1992) Marco Leonardi
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Not sure how obscure it is, but it is a cult classic: Highlander

"There can be only one!".

Think we now need a cult film thread - in which case I'm torn between Donnie Darko, Highlander, Animal House, and The Thing.
    Oh and if ever there's a "worst ever sequel" thread then Highlander 2 would be my choice!

My oldest son is named Connor.....just sayin' :bigsmile:

And there is no such thing as this, "Highlander 2". Never speak of this again. :noway: :grumble: :laugh:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're a horror fan, but if Wes Craven's New Nightmare isn't one that you've seen before I'd definitely suggest watching the original Nightmare on Elm Street first before viewing.

I love horror! I own the entire NOES franchise on Blu-Ray :)

Awesome, so do I. I need to upgrade my Nightmare collection though because I only have the old DVD set. But I think NOES/NOES 3/WCNN makes a nice little make-shift horror franchise, especially if you're a fan of the Nancy character like I am.
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Before the (execrable) "Cat in the Hat", before the (reprehensible) "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (movie, not the beloved telly show), before the (annoying) "The Lorax", there was the Dr. Suess movie that showed that even in the 50's they must have been dropping acid in Hollywood:

"The Five Thousand Fingers of Dr. T"

I'm a big fan of the dungeon scene.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've got May on my queue already :) LOVED City of God! Can't find "La Vie est Belle" anywhere :/ Amelie is in my top five easily!

The funny this is that I went looking for it and found a wiki article for a film entitled "La Vie est Belle", a film out of Congo released in 1987. Seemed fitting considering the "obscure" nature of this thread. Glad you corrected it.

For those who don't realize it "La vita è bella" is a very popular film released in the late 90s and known in the States as "Life is Beautiful"; it was a mega huge box office hit and the highest grossing italian film of all time. And, of course, it's also known for Roberto Benigni's famously wild reaction at the Oscars upon winning for the film.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Darkman

the one with Liam Neeson. I liked that, only seen it the once.

Hard Target, the one where Jean Claude Van Dammes been chased by Hunters

one that I vaguely remember from been a kid....not sure many know it, Little Monsters, I would watch it over and over when I was really young. wish I could watch it again now haha
  • LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    You want an obscure movie? I seriously want you all to watch this:

http://youtu.be/CzxqGq7-rJY

When you're done you'll understand me better.
  • TheresaC928
    TheresaC928 Posts: 849
    Options
    Swingers (with Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau) and Bedazzled
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Also:

Incindies (canadian/lebanese)
    Paradise Now (palestinian)
    The White Ribbon (German)
    Syrian Bride (palestinian or syrian)
    Conspiracy
    Yacoubian Building (egyptian)
    Nasser 56 (egyptian)

No clue if they are on netflix but they are great movies nonetheless. Sorry for the Middle Eastern theme...that was my degree so I got to watch some pretty good films.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Mr. Nobody (Jaco Van Dormael)
    Enemy (Denis Villeneuve)
    Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer) *bonus naked scarlett johansson
    Enter the Void (Gaspar Noe)
    Irreversible (Gaspar Noe)
    Thirst (Park Chan-wook)
    The Vengeance Trilogy (by Park Chan-wook, "Old Boy", "Lady Vengeance" & "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance")
    Taxidermia (György Pálfi)
    Excision - (Richard Bates Jr.)
    I Saw the Devil ( Kim Jee-woon)

Entirely too many to name...but these are favorites that I've watched on more than one occasion.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just remembered another great obscure film. Swimming with Sharks with Kevin Spacey, Michelle Forbes, and Frank Whaley!
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all these so hopefully I'm not repeating suggestions. I'm more mainstream. Some of my favorite movies are Fight Club, Amelie, The Princess Bride, The Prestige, and The Fifth Element. My husband is a movie buff and has exposed me to some great movies I wouldn't normally watch. Incendies and Tell No One are two foreign films I wouldn't have watched without him suggesting them to me. They were both incredible. He likes one called Enter the Void but I haven't watched it - I can't take too much drug use and the movie basically starts off right away with drugs. It's also pretty abstract and I don't enjoy that kind of thing. He knows me well enough to avoid having me watch things I wouldn't enjoy. That wasn't true early in our relationship when he made me watch Requiem for a Dream. I acknowledge that it's a well made movie but the subject matter is just much too dark and depressing for me. And that last scene...ugh.

I will definitely add the foreign ones :) I've seen the others but Enter The Void has always looked interesting to me so I'll definitely add that!

I had to come back to list a few more that I enjoyed thanks to my husbands recommendations:
    Baraka
    Hard Candy
    Audition

I also really liked the films I've seen by Chan-Wook Park.
    Oldboy
    Thirst
    Joint Security Area
    Stoker
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    A Simple Plan-1998 Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton and Bridgette Fonda, I can only re-watch it every 3 years or so because it is so hard to watch those characters just totally ruin their lives!
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Not obscure, but I can watch Shawshank Redemption any time it's on tv, I've been where they filmed several times for tours.

Any Tim Burton movie, especially with Johnny Depp.

Cosmopolis, although it confuses me.

And since someone mentioned Jim Jarmusch, his latest movie Only Lovers Left Alive is my current favorite

As a fan of Stephen King's books, without a doubt, Shawshank Redemption is my absolute favorite book-to-movie adaptation.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    Safety Not Guaranteed. (It's an indie film that won an award or two but anytime I mention it no one has ever heard of it. I just absolutely love it and watch it obsessively.)

Run Lola Run (German film that is seriously mind twisty.)

The Professional (Jean Reno. Gary Oldman. Natalie Portman. Fantastic plot, great acting, awesome camera work.)
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Enlightenment Guaranteed - a German film. Subtitled.

I watch it at least once a year.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Exorcist 3 - has one of the scariest scenes ever put on film. Too bad the producers really messed up the movie by changing the story to fit the "exorcist" theme
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Guilty Pleasure list:

The Wizard (1989) Christian Slater, Fred Savage, and Jenny Lewis before she switched to singing.

The Cutting Edge (1992) D.B. Sweeney is adorable

Labrynth (1986) David Bowie in tight pants

Mallrats (1995) Jay and Silent Bob - enough said.

Labrynth for the exact same reason!!
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Enlightenment Guaranteed - a German film. Subtitled.

I watch it at least once a year.

That one looks good! Not on Netflix though. :-(

I'm always on the lookout for a good German film. Might have to try other channels...

While on the subject, here are some German-language films I've enjoyed (many have already been mentioned):

Run, Lola, Run
    Das Boot
    Good Bye Lenin! (same soundtrack composer as "Amelie", by the way...)
    Downfall
    Wings of Desire (remade by Hollywood as "City of Angels")
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Neds
    Filth

If you like a bit of Scotland.