Do you believe in strictly Calories In - Calories Out?

Options
A couple questions. I used the search function but some of the info may be outdated - not sure.

#1) Do YOU believe in strictly calories in - calories out? As in, you could eat all of your calories in pure table sugar, and although its incredibly unhealthy, you would lose weight if you're in a caloric defecit? If so, is there ever a situation where a caloric deficit would NOT lead to weight loss?

#2) Ever since I introduced weight lifting (bench press, squat, dead lift, shoulders) 3 weeks ago, my weight loss has screeched to a snails pace (1 pound or less per week while being in a 2.5 pound caloric deficit). It is common knowledge that you don't build muscle while in a caloric defect. Am I holding onto water in the muscles for nearly 3 weeks now? As soon as I get my hands on a tape measure large enough I'll start measuring.

#3) If Insulin stores fat, how do we lose weight while eating carbs and sugars (even in a caloric deficit) while insulin levels are elevated?

Thanks.

Replies

• LaurenBrooke1843
    LaurenBrooke1843 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answers to you other questions, but to answer #1, yes I believe in strictly calories in - calories out. I eat a large calorie deficit daily, but 99.9% of the time it's total crap food. Yet I've lost 39lbs in the last 13 weeks! If you're taking in less calories than you're body is burning, you will lose weight. You just may not being doing it in a healthy way.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    #1) Yes
    #2) Yes
    #3) Dunno
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    1. No, it is more complicated than that, if you want to stay around your target weight after your program

2. Yes

3. Not sure
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options

#2) Ever since I introduced weight lifting (bench press, squat, dead lift, shoulders) 3 weeks ago, my weight loss has screeched to a snails pace (1 pound or less per week while being in a 2.5 pound caloric deficit). It is common knowledge that you don't build muscle while in a caloric defect. Am I holding onto water in the muscles for nearly 3 weeks now? As soon as I get my hands on a tape measure large enough I'll start measuring.

I'm not a fit mother f#*+er, but I think it's partially because you're not losing as much LBM/muscle mass (yay!). You're hopefully losing just fat. The 2.5lb deficit MFP assumes you're losing both.

EDIT: Also, asking if we believe in calories in/calories out is like asking if we believe in the law of gravity... um, duh.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    #1) Do YOU believe in strictly calories in - calories out?

That's what the physics says, therefore the level of evidence to support it is pretty overwhelming.

Conservation of energy, it has to come from somewhere, and go somewhere. You're not going to create it internally.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    As to calories in/calories out: For weight loss, yes, For nutrition, no.
    Alright you fit mother f#*+ers, educate me
    Do you know flaming is against the terms of service here? You might want to think about that and cut it out since you only have two posts to your name.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    1. Yes. But there are a lot of factors that affect both energy expenditure and true calorie intake.
    2. Yes.
    3. You still burn calories when you're not eating. It's energy BALANCE over a period of time, after all.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Yes
    Yes
    See question number 1
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, only caveat is that if you were to eat too high a percentage of carbohydrates for a long period of time, eventually your body would develop a resistance to insulin, and that changes the calorie balance equation, but if you eat a relatively balanced diet, then yes calories in vs calories out all the way.

2. Yes

3. The purpose of insulin is to lower the amount of glucose in your blood stream. When insulin is released, it shuttles glucose out of your blood stream and either stores it as glycogen in your muscles and liver or stores it as body fat. You are always storing fat and you are always oxidizing fat (burning fat). The relative rates of the two processes determine the whether you are netting a fat burn or netting a storage of fat at any given point in time. If at the end of the day your body has burned more calories than you have consumed, that means that your rate of fat oxidation was greater than your rate of fat storage for the day as a whole. Don't think of insulin as a bad thing, insulin is a good thing as long as you don't abuse it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Also, asking if we believe in calories in/calories out is like asking if we believe in the law of gravity... um, duh.

oh I don't know. I only drop into this forum now and again because the level of woo gives me a bit of a laugh. Plenty of people don't seem to believe the science.
  • csmith_3
    csmith_3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1. yes and no, i believe you will lose weight if you burn more calories then you eat but once you have hit your target weight it will be very hard to maintain. I did this a while ago and ate lots of breads and pastas and lost 30 lbs in three months but i gained it all back with in 6 months. Now I am planning to lose the weight with healthy eating and so far i feel better and its working at the same rate.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Yes
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Yes

3. We need insulin to survive. What we do not need is excessive blood sugar.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    1. yes and no, i believe you will lose weight if you burn more calories then you eat but once you have hit your target weight it will be very hard to maintain. I did this a while ago and ate lots of breads and pastas and lost 30 lbs in three months but i gained it all back with in 6 months. Now I am planning to lose the weight with healthy eating and so far i feel better and its working at the same rate.

Your metabolic rate slows as you lose weight so your TDEE at a lower weight will not be the same as your initial TDEE at your higher weight. Many people don't account for this. If you gained all your weight back it's because you were eating more calories than you were burning every day. That does not mean the calorie balance equation didn't apply to you, it means you were eating at a calorie surplus and proceeded to gain weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Yes
    If not calories in, calories out, then what?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    1- Yes. Google 'twinkie diet'.
    2- Yes.
    3- Insulin is more complex than that.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    #2 is a myth, I lost close to 50 lbs, lost around 4 lbs of water and packed around 12 lbs of muscle. Thats in six months, I am not done yet and have no problem losing fat and building muscle.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    A couple questions. I used the search function but some of the info may be outdated - not sure.

#1) Do YOU believe in strictly calories in - calories out? As in, you could eat all of your calories in pure table sugar, and although its incredibly unhealthy, you would lose weight if you're in a caloric defecit? If so, is there ever a situation where a caloric deficit would NOT lead to weight loss?

If you define calories in as calories that are actually absorbed by the digestive system into the blood, then yes.

Maybe there are some medical exceptions, whereby calories in can't be used, e.g. type one diabetes - the lack of insulin means that the sugar can't get into the cells, the sugar ends up in the urine and the person's cells are starving. So yes, medical exceptions may be the case... but you can argue even in this case that the calories are not going into the cells, therefore they're not going in.

The guy who did the twinkie diet is the nearest experiment to what you suggested - it's not far from a diet of just pure sugar... yes if you ate at a deficit and nothing but sugar, you would lose weight. although the weight you lose will be lean body mass as well as fat, as your body will need to catabolise skeletal muscle to get the amino acids you need. Your health would suffer due to the lack of all the other nutrients the body needs and you'd probably die of kwashiorkor or some other protein deficiency disease before too long. (the twinkie diet guy supplemented his diet with protein powder and vitamin/mineral pills) But yes you would lose weight if you're in deficit... if you're eating a surplus of just pure sugar the excess would be stored as fat while the body would still have to catabolise your skeletal muscle to get amino acids, so you would end up extremely unhealthy, with too much fat and too little lean body mass.

I would never recommend a diet where the *only* thing you pay attention to is the calories - but calories in v calories out determines whether you lose weight or not... proper nutrition is for health and body composition. This is important to understand because so many people try hard to eat healthy and exercise, and then don't lose weight... because they're not in a calorie deficit. They wonder what they're doing wrong, and they are healthy and well nourished in all other aspects of health, but they're carrying too much fat that just won't go... it won't go because no matter how healthy their diet and how much they exercise, if they're not in calorie deficit, they won't lose weight.

Your muscles are storing more glycogen. This is a good thing and it's part of what makes you fitter and stronger. That makes them retain water. Yes, this masks fat loss on the scale and can do so for a while before the weight starts going down again... but if you really are eating at a deficit you will be burning fat.... Just that the weight of the fat being burned is offset by the weight of the water and glycogen your muscles are storing. It's also possible that your bone density is increasing - again this is a very good thing. Denser bones are heavier (your bones stay the same size/volume as before) so this is something else that will offset scale weight. But during all of this, your body is still burning fat as long as you're in deficit. It may not be noticeable, because you may be losing fat from places, e.g. upper back, that people don't measure with a tape measure or observe in the mirror. Which is why it's a good idea to take progress pictures from different angles, not just focus on belly flab. But if you're really in a calorie deficit, you'll be burning fat.

Please, in this situation, you need to ignore the scale and focus on the mirror and the tape measure, and the fact that you're improving your health and fitness too. The scale will catch up if you have a significant amount of fat to lose. If you only have a little fat to lose, then the scale might never catch up but really, if you fit into clothes a dress size or two smaller and look fitter and leaner, then why worry about what the scale says?

ETA: if you're new to weight training and were overfat when you started, then it is possible that you have gained some muscle, aka noob gains. This also would offset scale weight, but this is a one time gain and will not offset scale weight indefinitely. And if you're female, it won't be that much. For a young (especially adolescent) male, it could be quite a bit (although adolescents shouldn't be eating at a deficit without a paediatrician's supervision)
    #3) If Insulin stores fat, how do we lose weight while eating carbs and sugars (even in a caloric deficit) while insulin levels are elevated?

Biochemistry isn't my forte, but I'll have a go at this one. Insulin does not stop your body from burning fat. If you're in a calorie deficit, initially the shortfall will come from your body's glycogen but it will also start to use fat from your fat stores to make up the shortfall. The myth that you have to deplete all the sugar and glycogen from your body before fat burning starts comes from low carb gurus. It's not true. Your body balances fat and sugar burning, depending on what activity level you're doing at the time.... if you're pottering around at home you're probably running off mostly fat (but the total number of calories burned a minute is low)... if you're sprinting, you're running mostly off sugar, but you're still burning fat and the total number of calories burned a minute is much higher. More intense exercise requires more sugar, because your body can only burn so much fat at any one time. Insulin does not stop fat from being burned, nor does the presence of sugar in your blood. Your body runs off both, and insulin's role is in enabling the cells to use the sugar in the blood, and IIRC it has a role in fat storage, but it also has a role in the uptake of protein. Like I said, biochem is not my forte, but the picture painted of insulin being "bad" and "insulin is why carbs make you fat" is misleading. Carbs don't make you fat and insulin isn't bad. Anyone with type one diabetes can tell you just how important insulin is....