Do you believe in strictly Calories In - Calories Out?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yes, because our body does not utilize every calorie the same. :)
    You seriously have got to be the worst poster I have seen on MFP in a long time. You always just throw out opinions with no substance. Ever. EVER.

It's not my opinion. I have done many years of research on the subject, and do not have the time or inclination to post every research document that I have read over the 35+ years. CICO is wrong. Quality of foods matter, because we metabolize them differently.

You do not need to agree with me, but you need to stick to the subject matter without attacking me personally.
    If you were an actual researcher you would post your sources. CiCo isn't wrong because the second law of thermodynamics is fact.

Also because conservation of energy.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You seriously have got to be the worst poster I have seen on MFP in a long time. You always just throw out opinions with no substance. Ever. EVER.

It's not my opinion. I have done many years of research on the subject, and do not have the time or inclination to post every research document that I have read over the 35+ years. CICO is wrong. Quality of foods matter, because we metabolize them differently.

You do not need to agree with me, but you need to stick to the subject matter without attacking me personally.

Why are we supposed to stick to your 'facts' when you don't wish back them up? I suppose that all of your knowledge comes from peer reviewed scientific research articles? Or does it come from opinion blogs? These are important distinctions. The fact that you don't even know that CICO does NOT mean food quality doesn't matter is very telling to me.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options

No science is written in stone. The earth was believed to be flat at one time.

If you were an actual researcher you would post your sources. CiCo isn't wrong because the second law of thermodynamics is fact.

Also because conservation of energy.
  • 59gi
    Options

Why are we supposed to stick to your 'facts' when you don't wish back them up? I suppose that all of your knowledge comes from peer reviewed scientific research articles? Or does it come from opinion blogs? These are important distinctions. The fact that you don't even know that CICO does NOT mean food quality doesn't matter is very telling to me.

If you read my other posts on MFP you will see that I have posted many research data, so I do back up what I'm saying. CICO is wrong.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

If you read my other posts on MFP you will see that I have posted many research data, so I do back up what I'm saying. CICO is wrong.
    There aren't any studies that prove it wrong, if so please present it..........we'll wait

Why Calories Count
    The Science Behind Why Calories Matter - And Why Dismissing Them Is Naive
    http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/why-calories-count.html

"Aragon told me that no such study exists that shows people being overfed and losing weight. What’s more, there is no study in existence that shows people being underfed and not losing weight. "
  • 59gi
    Options

There aren't any studies that prove it wrong, if so please present it..........we'll wait

Why Calories Count

"Aragon told me that no such study exists that shows people being overfed and losing weight. What’s more, there is no study in existence that shows people being underfed and not losing weight. "

Here is one: http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

If you're talking about TEF, it is a very minor consideration. If you don't put the energy in in the first place, it won't matter how differently it is processed.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Why Calories Count

That's not a study. It's an opinion article.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

And no - Calories in and Calories out isn't true because of SLoT. SLoT can hold for a variety of situations where selective substrate metabolism may occur. Entropy, in a system where energy is being added is not a isolated system - entropy is just neither conserved or decreasing because of that basic tenant isn't observed.

What you probably mean is the First Law of Thermo - relative to the conservation of energy. You'd be basically wrong there too. Nothing there requires that biological processes be homeostatic - protein synthesis pathways are in many ways more exothermic and could result in an apparent break from FLoT with regards to CiCo.

Put away the Laws of Thermodynamics they've been abused a lot when discussing CiCo.

Calories In Calories out generally works because the general principal of a deficit is significantly more important factor than the efficiency changes when substrate are modified in diets. If done correctly, it's more important factor than meal timing, hours of sleep, sunlight, what not... but it is incorrect to assume it is 1:1 equation that isn't influenced (short term or long term) by factors like glycogen storage... etc.

Calories in Calories out generally works because the research shows that it is one of the most important factors.

If we were talking about a strict formuation of a LoT then things like diet hysteresis wouldn't occur - but we know that current metabolic performance depends on the prior diet path resulting in specific hormonal response, along with LBM.

If this was just about LoT then diseases like Triglyceride Storage Disease couldn't exist since somehow physical laws would make it impossible to have situations where lipids are not released, right? Well, those situations exist - there are diseases where fat just accumulates and the body over-utilizes other substrates for energy needs. Fortunately they are extremely rare and not of general concern for someone following CiCo.

Let the Laws of Thermodynamics rest in the corner, like the good dogs that they are, they do not need to be brought out and made to jump hoops to entertain the function of biological systems.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Why Calories Count

I think you need to do some research on the difference between a scientific study and an opinion. It may help you
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    in for science
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

The General Diet and Weight Loss Forum is intended for unsubstantiated opinion, woo and nonsense though isn't it :)
  • 59gi
    Options

No you need to study my friend.

http://www.thegreatfitnessexperiment.com/2011/07/harvard-says-calories-incalories-out-model-is-flawed-so-what-do-we-use-instead.html

Why Calories Count

I think you need to do some research on the difference between a scientific study and an opinion. It may help you
  • 59gi
    Options

http://www.thegreatfitnessexperiment.com/2011/07/harvard-says-calories-incalories-out-model-is-flawed-so-what-do-we-use-instead.html

Why Calories Count

Wrong Harvard is not an opinion source.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

That's not helped your case. First line is "I think..." and it's unsupported. So your opinion is backed up by someone elses opinion and speculation.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

And no - Calories in and Calories out isn't true because of SLoT. SLoT can hold for a variety of situations where selective substrate metabolism may occur. Entropy, in a system where energy is being added is not a isolated system - entropy is just neither conserved or decreasing because of that basic tenant isn't observed.

What you probably mean is the First Law of Thermo - relative to the conservation of energy. You'd be basically wrong there too. Nothing there requires that biological processes be homeostatic - protein synthesis pathways are in many ways more exothermic and could result in an apparent break from FLoT with regards to CiCo.

Put away the Laws of Thermodynamics they've been abused a lot when discussing CiCo.

Calories In Calories out generally works because the general principal of a deficit is significantly more important factor than the efficiency changes when substrate are modified in diets. If done correctly, it's more important factor than meal timing, hours of sleep, sunlight, what not... but it is incorrect to assume it is 1:1 equation that isn't influenced (short term or long term) by factors like glycogen storage... etc.

Calories in Calories out generally works because the research shows that it is one of the most important factors.

If we were talking about a strict formuation of a LoT then things like diet hysteresis wouldn't occur - but we know that current metabolic performance depends on the prior diet path resulting in specific hormonal response, along with LBM.

If this was just about LoT then diseases like Triglyceride Storage Disease couldn't exist since somehow physical laws would make it impossible to have situations where lipids are not released, right? Well, those situations exist - there are diseases where fat just accumulates and the body over-utilizes other substrates for energy needs. Fortunately they are extremely rare and not of general concern for someone following CiCo.

Let the Laws of Thermodynamics rest in the corner, like the good dogs that they are, they do not need to be brought out and made to jump hoops to entertain the function of biological systems.
    Yes, what I'm trying to say is that a body needs energy and that energy has to come from somewhere and the other way around if more energy goes in than your body needs that energy can't disappear into nothingness (conservation of energy).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Why Calories Count

Wrong Harvard is not an opinion source.

That isn't a scientific article.

And while a doctor might say that there are flaws in CiCo (and it isn't perfect), those flaws do not invalidate it for general use.
    It isn't 100% accurate but it is generally more important to assure a deficit than to focus on a substrate.

You can't eat ad libitum of just x and lose weight.

Weight loss is a factor of calories consumed.
  • 59gi
    Options

That's not helped your case. First line is "I think..." and it's unsupported. So your opinion is backed up by someone elses opinion and speculation.

Wrong my friend, not my opinion. Read and learn!