Do you believe in strictly Calories In - Calories Out?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Dr. Michael Israetel Nutritional Priorities for Body Composition
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szzo5Uy5aQU
    Cliffs:
    Most important Variables:
    1. CICO -The most important of any diet
    2. Macronutrient amounts
    3. Nutrient Timing - considerablely less impact than 1 & 2
    4. Food Composition -dead last in nutritional priority

I'd also adjust the above ot say that saiety, alignment to performance, and personal preference to adherence are more important than 3&4...

Not true old dogma.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131009201059.htm?utm_source=feedburner

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131009201059.htm?utm_source=feedburner

Listen, if you want to engage in a conversation, please stop throwing up any random search result from google as some sort of science reference (and quote correctly or fix your posts - there is an edit button)

What you just referenced outlines that self reported dietary data is probably incorrect. It does not in any way invalidate the statements you quoted.

The new item - again not a study but a report of one - just outline the issue with misreporting of energy intake. It says nothing on saiety or personal preference or sports performance.

It says:
    This misreporting of energy intake varied among participants, and was greatest in obese men and women who underreported their intake by an average 25 percent and 41 percent
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Yes
    If one day you eat 2000 calories, and your body burns 3000 in that same day, where do you propose the extra 1000 calories came from?
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Yes
    If one day you eat 2000 calories, and your body burns 3000 in that same day, where do you propose the extra 1000 calories came from?

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Whether or not one believes in calories in vs calories out is completely irrelevant. If you jump off a tall building, the universe doesn't care whether or not your believe in gravity. You will splat into the ground no matter what you believe. The same is true about the energy equation and thermodynamics. It's not a theory, it's a scientific law. One's individual belief in the law does not matter.

As far as insulin goes, you will never completely rid yourself of insulin spikes. Protein spikes insulin so even if you go completely low/no carb, you will still have insulin spikes. If it was impossible to lose weight if insulin spikes occur, then it would impossible to lose weight. You can never completely halt insulin spiking from occurring. Insulin spikes do not last forever. The simply fact is that if your burn 3000 calories in a day and only eat 2500 then the extra 500 calories must come from somewhere. Energy does not come out of thin air. This is a very unscientific explanation of a very scientific process. For a great article on why insulin is not the enemy read this: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Perfect!
    That's why you are on my friend list!
    BTW - I have type 2 diabetes and some of the things you people are saying about insulin is hilarious!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    A couple questions. I used the search function but some of the info may be outdated - not sure.

#1) Do YOU believe in strictly calories in - calories out? As in, you could eat all of your calories in pure table sugar, and although its incredibly unhealthy, you would lose weight if you're in a caloric defecit? If so, is there ever a situation where a caloric deficit would NOT lead to weight loss?

Yes, in your above example the person would still lose weight although of course they would be incredibly unhealthy and could not sustain such a diet.

#2) Ever since I introduced weight lifting (bench press, squat, dead lift, shoulders) 3 weeks ago, my weight loss has screeched to a snails pace (1 pound or less per week while being in a 2.5 pound caloric deficit). It is common knowledge that you don't build muscle while in a caloric defect. Am I holding onto water in the muscles for nearly 3 weeks now? As soon as I get my hands on a tape measure large enough I'll start measuring.

Yes, weight lifting (especially for the untrained) leads to significant water retention for quite some time due to additional glycogen storage and muscle repair. A clear indicator of this is if you take a couple days off from weight lifting you will experience a "whoosh" where you lose several pounds all at once.

#3) If Insulin stores fat, how do we lose weight while eating carbs and sugars (even in a caloric deficit) while insulin levels are elevated?

Insulin doesn't "store fat" it inhibits fat metabolism in favor of carbohydrate metabolism when blood sugar levels are high. The bold part is the important part because if you are at a caloric deficit even if all you eat is carbohydrates your body will utilize those carbohydrates for energy and therefore they won't be there anymore and your blood sugar will not be high and your body will resume burning fat for energy. Sure perhaps your body won't burn fat while its burning the carbs but that doesn't mean your body won't burn fat when it runs out of carbs to burn.
  • 59gi
    Options
    A couple questions. I used the search function but some of the info may be outdated - not sure.

#1) Do YOU believe in strictly calories in - calories out? As in, you could eat all of your calories in pure table sugar, and although its incredibly unhealthy, you would lose weight if you're in a caloric defecit? If so, is there ever a situation where a caloric deficit would NOT lead to weight loss?

Yes, in your above example the person would still lose weight although of course they would be incredibly unhealthy and could not sustain such a diet.

#2) Ever since I introduced weight lifting (bench press, squat, dead lift, shoulders) 3 weeks ago, my weight loss has screeched to a snails pace (1 pound or less per week while being in a 2.5 pound caloric deficit). It is common knowledge that you don't build muscle while in a caloric defect. Am I holding onto water in the muscles for nearly 3 weeks now? As soon as I get my hands on a tape measure large enough I'll start measuring.

Yes, weight lifting (especially for the untrained) leads to significant water retention for quite some time due to additional glycogen storage and muscle repair. A clear indicator of this is if you take a couple days off from weight lifting you will experience a "whoosh" where you lose several pounds all at once.

#3) If Insulin stores fat, how do we lose weight while eating carbs and sugars (even in a caloric deficit) while insulin levels are elevated?

Insulin doesn't "store fat" it inhibits fat metabolism in favor of carbohydrate metabolism when blood sugar levels are high. The bold part is the important part because if you are at a caloric deficit even if all you eat is carbohydrates your body will utilize those carbohydrates for energy and therefore they won't be there anymore and your blood sugar will not be high and your body will resume burning fat for energy. Sure perhaps your body won't burn fat while its burning the carbs but that doesn't mean your body won't burn fat when it runs out of carbs to burn.

Insulin

Insulin instructs cells to take in glucose from the blood

Insulin is a hormone which plays a key role in the regulation of blood glucose levels. A lack of insulin, or an inability to adequately respond to insulin, can each lead to the development of the symptoms of diabetes.

In addition to its role in controlling blood sugar levels, insulin is also involved in the storage of fat.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Yes

This article dos not explain how the human body is a perpetual motion machine, nor where excess energy can come from.

I'm asking YOU a very specific question:

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Please, for the next 30 days eat 5000 calories of all 'healthy', 'clean' approved foods and come back to this thread and tell us that you didn't gain any weight at all.
  • 59gi
    Options

wrong!

Insulin

Insulin is a hormone which plays a key role in the regulation of blood glucose levels. A lack of insulin, or an inability to adequately respond to insulin, can each lead to the development of the symptoms of diabetes.

In addition to its role in controlling blood sugar levels, insulin is also involved in the storage of fat.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Please, for the next 30 days eat 5000 calories of all 'healthy', 'clean' approved foods and come back to this thread and tell us that you didn't gain any weight at all.

This!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

wrong!

Insulin

Yeah, I am familiar with what insulin does thank you. Did you have a point to make along with that copy paste of the diabetes.co.uk website? Perhaps you can explain what in what I said was somehow wrong?

Insulin is a key protein in the regulartory pathway that triggers glucose metabolism. That's it. It doesn't magically prevent fat loss in the absence of glucose and when glucose is present it gets utilized as energy until it is no longer present. If you ingest less calorically than you need in carbohydrates your body will burn those carbohydrates until they no longer exist at which point your body will resume burning fat for energy.

If you ate 2000 calories of carbohydrates and you required 2500 then your body would burn those 2000 cals of carbs first but then burn 500 cals of body fat.

If you ate 2000 calories of fat and you required 2500 then your body would burn 2000 cals of dietary fat and then 500 cals of body fat.

The end result is the same.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

wrong!

Insulin

If you're going to respond with information from a source, you need to include a link to the source material in your post. It's just more fun for the rest of us to be able to quote other portions of the article that contradict what you cherry-picked as "support" for your position.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/insulin.html
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Fat loss comes technically down to calories in < calories out. But it's often more than that in practical application. And if you lose enough fat you should lose weight But, there are situations where weight loss may not occur during a calorie deficit because weight is more than just fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Quoting things multiple times and in multiple ways (via multiple links) does not make it more correct.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Quoting things multiple times and in multiple ways (via multiple links) does not make it more correct.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks.

1) Yes, no

2) You can easily hold onto water that long if you start training

3) You do lose weight - http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Note however, some people may do better from a metabolic perspective by limiting carbs
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

wrong!

Insulin

Plagiarism is bad, mkay?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options