WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies! :flowerforyou:

Joyce - glad things seem to be calming down over your sister. I expect if she can stick to the revised drug regime things will be better. You can keep an eye on things and if she continues to have funny turns, or is still taking too many pain/sleeping pills on top of what she is prescribed then you can report her to the correct authorities to prevent her driving. Of course she will be angry, but that's life. It is tough love and your civic duty. Let's hope she continues to improve.
    I remember when wrongly prescribed drugs sent my grandmother psychotic and my godmother into a zombie. Luckily they are a bit more up with these things today.

Beth -- I am worried about you. Why are you needing to eat too much? Would it help to tell us? If not then journaling about the reasons can be a great help. There are some excellent books on the subject of emotional eating.

Margaret - glad to hear your DSIL seems to be turning the corner.

Alison - your body is telling you something. Listen to it.

Meg - Bon voyage and have a great Colorado meeting!

Sylvia - enjoy your happy time with the DGDs! What a worry for your friend with the granddaughter.

Today is another day doing bits in the garden. The slug traps are having terrific success! My salads are perking up already now they are not being attacked every night! I need to sow some more beetroot as the slugs ate half the shoots. The radishes are putting out new leaves. Yeah! I have some small golden zucchini that I am looking forward to.
    Tonight is roast guinea fowl with skinnytaste.com's Baked Eggplant Sticks. Yummy yum. I will also pick the first kale from the garden.
    DH is putting down some more gravel in the front and, no Michele, I am not helping him!:laugh: It is beginning to look very nice. He is doing it slowly and not rushing as he is 68. He did say this morning that he feels he would not be able to do it without all the exercise he does. He used to have a painful back, but says the rowing he does every day has made a huge difference. He is fit and slim and does 600 cals on the machines every day. I reckon he needs to eat 800 cals more than me to stay at his optimum weight. He is 6 ft and 152 lbs. Winter 2013 he was painfully thin at 142. He wasn't eating enough with anxiety and IBS. Now, with the help of drugs and relaxation tapes, which he does every day, he is so much better. I feed him cake for his afternoon snack, he has an extra half sandwich for lunch, I give him carbs with his dinner and he has plain chocolate with nuts in the evening. Plus an occasional beer. I reckon that more or less makes up his extra needs.
    I stick to my 1200 plus exercise calories. Currently I am exercising around 520 - 560 calories a day. I do eat them all. I am on maintenance, but would like to lose one pound this month. I am consistently shading under the 140 lbs now, but not yet a whole one.:laugh: Big celebrations when I do!:drinker:
    NSV today. I had a dressing gown made up in heavy silk when I was in India. I thought I was quite slim then - I was the weight I was when I met my DH. The gown wrapped nicely with a small overlap. When I was fat the gown didn't wrap at all and I couldn't wear it. Today I put it on and it wrapped right round to the other side!:drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Gloria - I am crossing my fingers for you on weigh day! I hope we can all do a happy dance and whoop for joy!

Love Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    saw a post on facebook~
    the only time I will ever have a smokin hot body is when I am cremated~:laugh: yup that is very true!!!!!
    will be happy to get back on track losing.. after the hysterectomy ,I did lose 55 lbs, my inability to keep my mouth shut and emotional eating has made me gain 10 lbs back, and I am holding myself accountable:ohwell:
    well off to the shower, and get ready for work..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Up with the birds today.

Heather love the new picture you look fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No veggies from our garden yet. We got a late start.

Joyce a hosta generally is a shade to part shade loving leafy plant. It does have flowers but they are on a green spike and will be either white or purple. The most common is just green. There are variegated ones with some white in the leaves,another variegated one is green with blueish strips, blue-green, yellowish green, and blueish leaves. The leaves can be quite small to several inches across. Deer like the green ones especially and slugs like to eat holes in them. I use them as a border plant throughout our gardens. I do have a blue and variegated green with blue by our patio. Looks quite nice.

Today it supposed to rain, so will get indoor chores done, so tomorrow I can spend going on a garden tour.

2014 word: contentment
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    Hello, it's me again. I haven't posted for awhile, but am trying to keep up with reading. I promise I have been faithfully getting to the gym and eating properly most of the time!

About losing weight after menopause...they don't call it the "change of life" for nothing. For me, that meant making different food choices and being consistent with exercise. Start slow, and don't give up!

I convinced my DH to join MFP, and he has lost six pounds! Hooray!!

Grandmallie :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: your smoking hot comment!

My poor garden. After getting a late start, earwigs ate one hill of pumpkins, all the cucumbers, and zucchini. Then last night I found my one remaining hill of pumpkins covered in squash bugs. Sometimes, I think our little plot of land must be cursed. DH put out earwig traps, but I told him it was like shutting the barn door after the horses got out. At least the pepper plants are still ok. I hardly bother with tomatoes anymore, because they get mowed down by a virus.

Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Kayzoola - I have found quite a few earwigs in my slug traps. They must have a liking for beer!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Skimmed the posts. Hope everyone has a fabulous Friday!
  • jscoachwife
    jscoachwife Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I haven't been on since June 20. My family has been off selling fireworks. While we were gone, I got a second opinion on my achilles & heel pain. The ortho said that I have insertional achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciaitis. He said he thinks intensive physical therapy to stretch my calf muscles should take care of it. I have been to PT twice this week and I can already notice a change. Much better than surgery! Ugh! Can't wait until I get the green light to begin exercising again.

My goals for this month:
    Record everything that goes in my mouth on MFP
    Do my PT exercises at home
    Begin exercising when allowed

Have a great day!

PS: what is the bump thing? Could someone explain it to this newbie?
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, ladies!

Meg – have fun on your trip, safe travels and enjoy meeting up with the other ladies. :drinker:

Cynthia – the vet I use also does chiropractic. I took my older dog for adjustments when he started having issues with his back. I could tell when he needed an adjustment as he would become more bowlegged on his front legs. The Dr. said it was because he was transferring more weight to his front legs because his lower back hurt and was causing pain to travel down his back legs. He always stood very still for his adjustment and afterwards would run around at home like a much younger dog. He also didn’t have as much trouble going up the stairs.

Alison – before we were married, my DH had a cat that he found as a stray. First time he took him to the vet the vet asked how long has he been without any teeth. My DH had no idea he didn’t have teeth as he always ate his food without any problems. Seems the gums get hard to they are able to continue eating without much difficultly.

Molly, Kathy from sunny IL, Susan – welcome back. :flowerforyou:

Karen – congratulations on the new, smaller size for your tops. Guess your SIL noticed your new size. :smile:

Michele – I have a cat that is on insulin also. He doesn’t mind his shots, in fact, I don’t think he really notices when he gets one. I put his food down and while he is eating I just lift a little skin on his neck/back and give it to him. He doesn’t even look up. I’m grateful for that. He was so forgiving when we were learning how to do it. :heart:

Kandc, Manclass, Dragonfly, Wesmas3, KancKnights, lcarrollccc1, Karen, hearthwood, DaughterOfTheMostHighKing – welcome (hope I didn’t miss anyone) :flowerforyou:

Margaret – glad the news is better for your SIL.

Barbie – hope you’re having a great time on your trip.

Deb A - so envious of your day kayaking. Only had the chance to get out once so far but hoping for better weather soon so we can get out more.

DJK – welcome. What part of West Virginia? We love to vacation there. :smile:

We have several bird feeders and a Blue Bird house and enjoy watching the variety of birds that come by to feed. Our Blue Birds usually have 3 broods a year. One brood has just fledged and they are busy building another nest. Last night we saw the Blue Bird parents feeding one of their young. The female was sitting on top of the house while ‘dad’ sat on the perch with one of the babies. There is a dish attached to the perch and we fill it with dried mealworms so they are able to find food easily close to their nest and it is high in protein. The dad was getting some worms and feeding it to the baby. While it is a baby, it is nearly the size of the adults and able to fly well. After awhile it looked like the parents were trying to teach the baby to eat out of the dish. Dad would go to the dish, eat some worms and then they would trade places. At first, the baby just sat there and then dad went to the dish too and started eating while the baby watched. Dad didn’t feed the baby so after a few minutes the baby started pecking at the worms. After just a few minutes, baby was eating and dad flew off to a near by branch. Mom stayed on top of the house. We think she was the look-out for other birds that may come by and she definitely didn’t like the squirrels that were under the pole the house is on. We have a large baffle on the pole so snakes and squirrels can’t climb it to get to the eggs or baby birds in the nests. It was quite enjoyable to watch! They make a great team, working together to build and guard the nest. One will always stay by the house while the other comes to the feeders or bird bath and then they trade places.

Had storms the last two evening but no damage. Calling for a nice weekend here so going to try to get out to a local park and do some hiking. May have to play hookie later next week as right now they are calling for more pleasant weather so may be able to get a day for kayaking. :love:

Tina in MD
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Nice day so far.........mostly sun. Yesterdays tally from the tornado was several businesses damaged, 11 people, of those 2 critically but expected to recover.

My hosta is fine so far; I have several varieties both large and small; it was a constant in our garden growing up. We had a variety that was mostly white, in fact, my mother called it "white grass"; no idea if anyone else called it that back then.

Margaret: great explaination, BTW. Someone mentioned Japanese beetles (also Margaret?)............we had grapevines and those beetles were all over them when I was a teen. My family made both wine and jams and jelly. My fathers solution was to give me a jar with, I believe vinegar, inside and paid me for every jar I filled up with the bugs..................probably one of the reasons I'm not too squeemish about bugs today...............lol, I filled many jars..........for several summers!!!!!! I just picked one off a tomato leaf the other day.

Cynthia and Meg.........DD is looking into chiropractic if vet school doesn't work out this year, with plans to treat an all animal clientele; it's a respected and effective treatment for horses and dogs mainly, but I suppose you could do it on any animal.

Michele............It was Maleficent..........yes, my second time, but I was with several people who hadn't seen it and wanted to and I enjoyed it again, one of the better movies I've seen this year.

Heather.............Completely and wholeheartly agree with your reference to civic duty.

Joyce....... I fully understand both family loyalty and the reluctance to be a tattletale or "rock the boat", but my personal sympathies lie entirely with the unsuspecting people being put in immediate danger by any impaired (for whatever reason) driver. My mother had a saying: God helps them that help themselves..........I think it means we have the right and duty to step in if we see an action is needed, such as when innocents are endangered. I have faith that you will reach a solution and that you can justify it to yourself as the right one in this situation and be at peace with it. You are in a difficult position.

Off to pick up some needed meds for Gwen then go to her home and set up her meds for the coming week.

Making ham and bean soup later; will take some to Gwen and to Gin, my friend with lung ca., and her DH.

Blueberries are gone............need to get myself out to the farm and pick more!!! I do have some lovely huge Rainier cherries in the fridge for today.

Best to everyone!
    Stay strong.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Summer pudding sounds yummy and makes me wish I didn’t have lactose intolerance. On the other hand, I’ll be it is lovely without the cream, too. I might try it.

Dragonfly_62: Your posts are coming through just fine. Tell us more about yourself. Where are you from?

Kegrip917: Welcome! Where are you from?

Susan: Welcome back!

Michele: Margarine is made from vegetable oils and doesn’t typically contain lactose. You have to read labels, though. Some of the pricier margarines do contain milk or milk fat. :flowerforyou:

Hearthwood: I absolutely agree with you. Weight management is all about calories in versus calories out. To gain weight you have to eat more calories than you burn. To lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you eat. Portion control is the key to keeping calories in line and guessing portion sizes is often a cause of frustration and failure. Weighing and/or measuring food is the only way to be sure you’re getting the amount of calories that you think you’re getting. Food scales and measuring cups are good investments.:flowerforyou:

Molly in beautiful WV: Welcome back!:bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Thinking about dizziness, I can’t help but wonder whether you have low blood pressure. I had that issue in younger years, but not at a level than threatened my health. Back then, if I stood up quickly my head would spin for a few seconds and then I’d be fine. My doctor’s opinion was that I’d live forever. With your health issues, I hope you'll talk to your cardiologist about it.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Congratulations on the dressing gown NSV! My weight is also fluctuating just above and below 140 lbs. If I go a couple of pounds under, my skin sags more and DH complains that I don’t look “healthy.” I am beginning to develop muscle tone in my arms, though, and that makes me happy. I LOVE what yoga is doing for me. Like this diet process, the improvements come along gradually.:flowerforyou:

We had dinner out last night and I was sure I’d gone way over my allowed calories, but the calorie level was not a problem. DH and I shared a low country boil, which was yummy but had enough sodium to supply a potato chip factory. Sure enough, his blood pressure is up this morning. He’ll need to drink a lot of water today. I will, too. My son wants me to go along on a shopping trip to Beaverton, which will be about a 60 mile round trip. I think I'll start drinking my water when we get back.:wink::drinker:

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop in to request some crossed fingers as I meet with the realtor at 1 p.m. EDT. I don't know why I am so nervous. I think I'm hearing my mother and former MIL's criticisms in my head along with my fear that I won't be able to sell for a profit. Ack!!! Some well-meaning friends have fed into that fear so I am bracing for disappointment. :sad: :embarassed: :sad:

I'm leaving work now to go home and do a few last minute things and to try to convince myself that I have no control and to "let go" as was so well put the other day by Carol in Monroe.

I'll check back in later....

Carol in NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~
    Welcome any new ladies.:drinker: :flowerforyou:
    Beginning to think it was easier buying a house vs renting.
    Thanks for all your love and support.
    HUGS:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • MollyMamaBear
    MollyMamaBear Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies :flowerforyou:
    Starting over is easy it seems but not.
    I can now see where all my bad mistakes took place-now to just remove them.Not as easy as I thought.
    We are creatures of habit-and I am,as my DH puts it,a cuddle eater.Comfort food .lonely time food-you all
    know the list :wink:
    so new resolutions: still in the making.
    Back at physical therapy.
    type 2 diabetes finally under control.:goal there to get off insulin.
    that's all for now.
    TGIF
    HUGS :heart: :heart: :heart:

Molly in sunny WV
  • kegrip917
    kegrip917 Posts: 14
    Options
    Greetings, Katia49..... :) - I don't know how to make those cute little emoticons.... lol!

I live in Fairfield County, CT - and you?

Thank you for the welcome message. I was starting to think I was doing something wrong by just jumping into a thread with a comment here or there. Glad to be here.... I've been away for several months, but now I'm back and have just at this moment (FB instant messaging) invited my diet buddy to check out MFP.

I am seeing results by going the low-carb, high protein route. 4 lbs. lost in 2 days. Weight Watchers was not for me. Progress wa slow, as they promote eating foods that I don't wish to incorporate into my diet, and I found the cost to be disproportionate to actual progress.

I am working to shed the weight I gained during menopause. I went from being a skinny-minny all my life to, well, 60 lbs. overweight! Meeting my now-husband and cooking dinners every night for him and his 2 grown sons (eating machines) contributed to this current state of affairs. These days, I cook separately for my husband and myself. He's tall & thin, and burns off every calorie he eats. Thankfully, the boys are grown and out on their own now, but the weight just kept creeping up over the past 5 years and now it needs to go in the opposite direction.

I really like MFP - hope to meet some nice people here! Have a great day! :) - Karen
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Yeah the smokin' hot bod thing was kind of a joke, but I guess if I can get pregnant from one contraception malfunction at 41.5 years old, anything is possible. :laugh: :glasses:

Just finishing lunch and doing a quick check in. Been working all morning and making progress in my mountain...that I'm very grateful for. Not sure what happened but my shop exploded last week and I'm a busy gal for the next week.

Aaron's whining to go in the pool so I have to get out and test, etc. Might just get in with him since it's such a nice, sunny day.

While I generally believe that weight loss is a simple math equation, I learned a long time ago (and am living proof myself) that the "rules" don't always apply to everyone. I'm eating the same amount of calories as before, and exercising less for the moment and losing weight. I am convinced it's because of how this food plan, similar to Shred, is laid out and the proportions of proteins, carbs, fat, etc.. It's the one thing that seems to be stoking my comatose metabolism. I wish it was just "really hard" for me to lose at this point, circumstances in my life because I sure have been working hard for a really long time but, I think with some of us, it's a little more than that.

Will check back later. Best wishes for strength and success to all.

xo- Gloria in sun, sun, sunny Metro Detroit
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Again.
    Just got a call they want to do another mammogram/ultrasound next week.Just add more stress to the mix.
    HUGS
    jane
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Jane ... praying right now for you to remain calm. Hopefully you don't have to wait long for an appointment and results!
    Heather ... don't worry ... I'm ok ... had myself a little pity party but am now back on track!

Beth
  • kegrip917
    kegrip917 Posts: 14
    Options
    jmkmomm - thanks! :flowerforyou: and here's one in return :smile:

The scale does not lie... the low-carb, high protein route is working for this 52-year old, post-menopausal, former skinny-minny! So glad to be back on MFP and actually seeing some results. It has inspired me to get my lazy butt to the gym today.

Have 60 lbs. to lose. I am taking it one day at a time. Even though I cheat once in a while (my husband REALLY needs to move those double-chocolate muffins out to the truck!), I view each new day as a fresh start and try not to be too hard on myself. We're only human, after all...

Great day, everyone!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

It`s been awhile since I last posted:blushing: ! I`ve read all the posts and I`m wishing everyone well:heart: !!!

Jane Martin:smile: On top of all the stress of having to fine a new place to live, you have to deal with another mammogram:sad: ! Sending good wishes and prayers that everything will be okay:heart::flowerforyou: !!!

I would love to have time for chatting, however it seems here lately I have zero time for anything I really want to do:angry: ! Home renovations have taken over my life:grumble: ! As I type this there are 2 people talking to me too:grumble: , can`t they see I`m busy:huh: !

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Love you all:heart: !

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC (who should be drinking more water:embarassed: )
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I guess I still don't understand a hosta. I will have to google it and get a picture.

I took my sister for her CAT scan today. I got to drive her fancy new minivan that they bought so they could install this hydraulic lift for her mobility scooter. They have a one car garage and it is extremely well organized, think OCD here, but there is a lot of stuff there and it was a bit of a chore to back her car out without scratching it. When reparking it in there I didn't pull enough to the right and I was right next the hot water heater. I had to really suck it in to be able to get between it and the car. But I know 20 months ago I wouldn't be able to. It didn't take long for the x-ray to be done but I took advantage of the free wi-fi and I had taken my iPad along hoping they had it so I could show Norma pictures. My one nephew that had such a problem with heroin addiction has two little ones ages 1 and 2. One of the pictures is of the 1 year old taking her first steps and she did it towards my brother. Oh the look on his face. When I talked to my brother he said that her big brother, age 2 was just clapping for her. She gave no warning she was going to walk. She just got up, had been cruising around something and then all of a sudden took a few steps towards my dear brother. So she enjoyed looking at the pictures. She agreed, the picture I have here as my avatar doesn't look like me.

After we got done we stopped by McDonalds and got an ice cream cone. 170 calories only but I wanted this to be a fun day with two sisters having a good time. So that is why I justified eating that ice cream. Oh well, all in the name of love.

Joyce, Indiana