Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• OregonGal1964
    Options
    I am a firm believer in NOT judging other people. My sister is 44. She is Obese. She uses the scooters at walmart and inconsiderate jerks have made comments to her about it. What they dont see, is that she has sever osteoporosis. If she coughs too hard she breaks a rib. If she walks much she can break a hip and has been told by her DR to use those scooters or stay home. She also has fibromyalgia, neuropathy in her feet from diabetes type 2... interstitial cystitis, MS, severe arthritis, stenosis in her spine... her being Obese is a side effect of all her health problems that don't let her do much. but when she is seen in a scooter at walmart, all you can see is an obese person in a scooter.. her other health probs don't show...so, like i said... i don't judge anyone
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Quote from OP in another thread...
    No shaming is ok and its just as bad to call someone out for being too skinny...

you have to judge a person from what is inside not outside and i know that sounds cheesy but its true. never judge a book by its cover but it might have a ratty cover and be the best damn book you have ever read!!

So which is it? Judge or don't...

im not judging by saying fat is not a disability if not accompanied by a medical issue. i have plenty of friends who are overweight...hell that was me at one time. Do I think you can use it as a crutch no.....but I dont think someone is a second hand citizen because of their weight.....

You've totally judged your coworker.

I have known this woman for 14 yrs...I know HER!! I did not judge her. She overshares everything...including every medication she is on, her social life and everything in between.

And you saw fit to call her out like that in a work meeting?

That seems really professional...
    And using "victim" in quotations doesn't seem condescending at all
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    just because

tumblr_mtcehvJiJR1r88l59o1_500_zps4668c764.gif
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    just because

oh man, I wish I could have this in slow motion
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I considered using a scooter once. It was very hot, I was very fat. I felt like I literally might faint, but I had to do the shopping.

If I'd fainted, I suppose I could have sued the store?

I don't think the vast majority of people (especially obese people) will use one unless they really have no choice. The stigma is just too great. Our society is cruel.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Quote from OP in another thread...
    No shaming is ok and its just as bad to call someone out for being too skinny...

you have to judge a person from what is inside not outside and i know that sounds cheesy but its true. never judge a book by its cover but it might have a ratty cover and be the best damn book you have ever read!!

So which is it? Judge or don't...

im not judging by saying fat is not a disability if not accompanied by a medical issue. i have plenty of friends who are overweight...hell that was me at one time. Do I think you can use it as a crutch no.....but I dont think someone is a second hand citizen because of their weight.....

Of course, you have thoroughly read the book of your co-worker and know that she is a fat slacker. You, of course, are not because you got it together and lost some weight.

Before that point. Before you figured it out...were you just looking for a hand-out?

Still awaiting an answer on this I see...

OP we all have flaws. We all make excuses for things (whether people want to admit it or not). We all have good and bad things about ourselves.

If you were to try to put yourself in someone else's shoes, such as your coworker, and think about how it must feel to be judged by someone you see every single day. Lots of people put on facades, good and bad.

everyone-you-meet-588-350.jpg
  • LotusAsh
    Options
    just because

oh man, I wish I could have this in slow motion

i'm sure I can try to work on it
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    Im sorry I may sound heartless in saying this but i see those tv show commercials for the "my 400lb life" and i have no sympathy for them at all. If you were at one point in your life 120 pounds and athletic it was a personal decision to let yourself go to the point of extreme and its human nature to either do something about it or make excuses for it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....

Okay, you're just prying at that can of worms again, aren't you?

I am really not trying to....do I just need to shut the **** up???

Yes.

And this is why:

When a person gets SSDI (disability), they have to prove medically that they have a disability. They have provided medical records, been to medical or mental health professionals, sat in front of a judge, probably hired a lawyer, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they are disabled and cannot work. And yes, SSDI does open the door for several other programs, including SNAP, Vocational Rehabilitation HUD, etc. But people who receive SSDI have spent easily 2-3 years proving they are disabled. It is not an easy process in any way, shape, or form. So yes, you should STFU because obviously you have never worked within the system and have zero idea of what you are speaking.

Well, that puts my fears to rest, knowing that the system is foolproof, and no-one could ever possibly game the system to their advantage.

Any system can be gamed. Student Loans are gamed all the time. However, they are never really brought into question.

Can you enlighten me as to how this is done? For research purposes only lolol

You've never known anybody who "went to school" for the six years they spent drunk?

CHICO STATE!
  • LotusAsh
    Options
    Im sorry I may sound heartless in saying this but i see those tv show commercials for the "my 400lb life" and i have no sympathy for them at all. If you were at one point in your life 120 pounds and athletic it was a personal decision to let yourself go to the point of extreme and its human nature to either do something about it or make excuses for it.

c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006_zpscac8da20.jpg
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Getting fat takes work. It's a choice.
    Getting un-fat takes work. It's a choice, too.

Being fat is not a disability. It is not something that just happens.
    It doesn't merit judgement - everyone is who they are (for the most part) based on their own decisions, and if someone decides to eat overly processed, unhealthy foods, that's their choice. Those choices should not be made the responsibility of the global public, however, in being deemed "disability".

Society is cruel. It always has been. There is also, I think, a certain level of respect for those who make the effort to better themselves - in whatever regard.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in NOT judging other people. My sister is 44. She is Obese. She uses the scooters at walmart and inconsiderate jerks have made comments to her about it. What they dont see, is that she has sever osteoporosis. If she coughs too hard she breaks a rib. If she walks much she can break a hip and has been told by her DR to use those scooters or stay home. She also has fibromyalgia, neuropathy in her feet from diabetes type 2... interstitial cystitis, MS, severe arthritis, stenosis in her spine... her being Obese is a side effect of all her health problems that don't let her do much. but when she is seen in a scooter at walmart, all you can see is an obese person in a scooter.. her other health probs don't show...so, like i said... i don't judge anyone

I wonder what the OP would say about this. OP, care to weigh in? :)
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

noun: disability; plural noun: disabilities

a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

Being FAT does not limit movemt or activities. However, being OBESE or MORBIDLY OBESE does.

Therefore, depending on how you use the term "fat", it can be considred a disability. It doesn't matter if you can do something about it or not, in that state, it is a disability. The only difference is you can easily fix this disability, compared to other disabilities.

ETA: I will argue that being obese is indeed a disability. Have you ever seen an obese person walk, clap their hands, or tie ther shoelaces? It's nto exatly easy for them. You would go so far to say that their movement is limited, not unlike a disability.

Being fat is not a disability. That being said, most people are only considered fat by society when, in fact, they are actually obese.

I started out morbidly obese, in fact i am still actually obese, and no way would i consider myself having a disability. Yes I used to have a heck of a time walking, clapping my hands and thought I would stop breathing when trying to tie my shoes, but I put myself there, not a disability. IMO a disability is something you can't change. I changed it.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

I spent almost a decade with an illness that was misdiagnosed by several doctors. Each one of them put me on different medications and some of those made me balloon like a whale. I went from a hyper-athletic, competitive tennis player to a depressed, morbidly obese person in that decade.

I'm so sorry to have inconvenienced you and your view of life.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Obese, morbidly obese, super obese etc. is definitely in my opinion debilitating and can facilitate a whole host of medical issues.
    It's sad really, but even sadder is to judge when I've never been in that position.
    [/quote]

This^ We don't know if "that people" did try to loose weigh, and not everybody has the will power that others do.
  • 1959sunshine
    1959sunshine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As a matter of fact, yes, morbidly obese may qualify you for Social Security Disability.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Getting fat takes work. It's a choice.
    Getting un-fat takes work. It's a choice, too.

Being fat is not a disability. It is not something that just happens.
    It doesn't merit judgement - everyone is who they are (for the most part) based on their own decisions, and if someone decides to eat overly processed, unhealthy foods, that's their choice. Those choices should not be made the responsibility of the global public, however, in being deemed "disability".

Society is cruel. It always has been. There is also, I think, a certain level of respect for those who make the effort to better themselves - in whatever regard.

Yes, but when we see someone out and about in most situations, how can we tell if they are or are not bettering themselves? You have no idea where a person is on their health journey (on the way up or down) just based on one fleeting interaction in public.

Someone might judge me for driving through the McD's drive thru one day - but what they don't know is that maybe I'm coming off working a 14 hour event, and haven't eaten since 6am. I'm on a ketogenic diet, so I'm buying some McDoubles and throwing the bun away, and staying within my diet's parameters.

But all you Judge-y McJudgersons are likely thinking "If she doesn't watch out, she's going to full-on pork-out, instead of just being chubby".

I was 260 at my highest, and I'm at 210 now. At 208, I am no longer obese (I'm 5'10")
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Do people really think putting "I'm sorry" in front of a jerky comment, makes the comment less jerky?

I got fat because I was suffering from severe sleep deprivation, severe depression and moderate to severe anxiety (the last two were secondary to the first). I've never eaten half a gallon of ice cream, or a whole block of cheese or anything like that. I have trouble now eating 1200 calories a day because I've never, in my life, been an overeater.

So no, it wasn't a personal decision that I made to become fat. It was lack of access to medical care to deal with my insomnia, period. And I'm SO FING tired of people assuming that everyone fits into a neat little fat box so they can feel free to judge without any shame.
  • 1959sunshine
    1959sunshine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :smile: .
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Do people really think putting "I'm sorry" in front of a jerky comment, makes the comment less jerky?

I got fat because I was suffering from severe sleep deprivation, severe depression and moderate to severe anxiety (the last two were secondary to the first). I've never eaten half a gallon of ice cream, or a whole block of cheese or anything like that. I have trouble now eating 1200 calories a day because I've never, in my life, been an overeater.

So no, it wasn't a personal decision that I made to become fat. It was lack of access to medical care to deal with my insomnia, period. And I'm SO FING tired of people assuming that everyone fits into a neat little fat box so they can feel free to judge without any shame.

THIS! Also, how can these people tell which is which from a fleeting interaction in public? Fat people don't wear signs that document how they became fat.

I'm glad to hear that you got the medical issue somewhat sorted, and congrats on your progress!