Fruit = sugar ... arghh!!

Options

Replies

• DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You know what else insulin does? Helps trigger storage of fat.

How's the job at Trader Joe's going?

This made me LOL.

Btw, this thread inspired me to eat one of the pints of blueberries I had in the fridge. "Yum."
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I love how this post immediately followed this guy's post:
    4f86fea7ef7816d9491882ee70bbcd536561_thumb.jpg

Hey, SS...maybe lay off the fruit and you won't store so much fat.

:laugh:

Yeah Sidesteel. No more bananas for you!!!!

I'd make some sort of play on SideSteel's banana but I respect him more than that.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    People who eat food all die eventually.

Therefore food must be killing them.

Logic.
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Honestly I gave low-carb (Ketosis) a legitimate try recently.

I spent about 6 weeks at under 20 net carbs a day.

I was tired, sluggish (that energy boost everyone else gets, didn't happen), foggy minded, weak, constantly hungry, famished, hangry and emotional the entire time.

It was miserable.

And, I got sick, truly sick, and missed two days of work, for the first time in years.

20 net carbs is not enough for me to take in the fruit and veg level my body thrives on.

I've seen it do "miracles" for others, but my body doesn't jive with it's chemistry.

I went back to normal diet (which is still pretty low carb) but I've been really enjoying bananas, mangos, and sushi!

I love not caring less if I go over 20 carbs and my keto stick is clear than I feel sluggish for days because I just couldn't live without another serving of veg. That's kind of like intentionally dieting yourself into sickness.

Good luck!

Do what works for you.

PS I lost 0 weight in keto. I truly believe what I did lose was water weight because I started in the 180's, ended in the 180's, and I'm still in the 180's. Lots of suffering for 0 progress.

I'm doing Calories in - Calories Out right now and LOVING it. So nice to be able to eat whatever.

However, I do think it's a little silly to attribute your cold to a low carb diet.

I will say that I lost weight RAPIDLY on low carb. But I missed the food I'm enjoying now!
  • Jollymeister
    Options
    "fruit in fruit"

I lold
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    just eat fruit.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    "fruit in fruit"

I lold

<3
  • ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options
    I feel like as a person doing keto that there are other people giving it a bad name. It's frustrating.

You can eat fruit, as long as it's below your macro levels. I for one sometimes eat raspberries and whipped cream for a dessert.

You can have fruit, just don't go overboard for your personal needs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't. Insulin drives glycogen production, shuttles nutrients (including glucose) into muscles and organs, and roughly 100 other regulatory functions. Fat storage is simply a matter of caloric surplus vs caloric deficit.

In a person with insulin resistance, insulin does cause fat storage.
    No it doesn't. That's not what insulin resistance is, or how it works.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, really.

There is literally nothing in fruit that cannot be gained from vegetables, with less useless sugar.

I highly doubt these folks are following a targeted approach of consuming sugars/carbs 30 minutes before an intense lifting session or cardio session.

There is no other reason to consume that much sugar.

_ _ _ _

Our bodies are programmed to crave sugar after we ingest sugar. Because sugar actually used to be extremely rare, and was extremely valuable as a quick-burst fuel source for hundreds of thousands of years.

That cannot be said in modern times, and we continually seek to find "excuses" for "needing" sugary fruit.

Suger (sucrose) has a glycemic load of 68 and apple has a GL of 38 - so no, just no. Maltose (beer) has a highr GL than either and beer does not make me crave more sugar. Sugar in the form of fruit was only extremely rare when the only plants on the planet were ferns. For goodness sake - go take a walk outside - at this time of year everything has fruit and a good chunk of those are fit for human consumption.

If you were to ingest sucrose on its own compared to an apple on its own, in a fasted state, then it's a valid comparison. But not many people do that. The GI index has very limited usefulness.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yes, really.

There is literally nothing in fruit that cannot be gained from vegetables, with less useless sugar.

I highly doubt these folks are following a targeted approach of consuming sugars/carbs 30 minutes before an intense lifting session or cardio session.

There is no other reason to consume that much sugar.

_ _ _ _

Our bodies are programmed to crave sugar after we ingest sugar. Because sugar actually used to be extremely rare, and was extremely valuable as a quick-burst fuel source for hundreds of thousands of years.

That cannot be said in modern times, and we continually seek to find "excuses" for "needing" sugary fruit.

Suger (sucrose) has a glycemic load of 68 and apple has a GL of 38 - so no, just no. Maltose (beer) has a highr GL than either and beer does not make me crave more sugar. Sugar in the form of fruit was only extremely rare when the only plants on the planet were ferns. For goodness sake - go take a walk outside - at this time of year everything has fruit and a good chunk of those are fit for human consumption.

If you were to ingest sucrose on its own compared to an apple on its own, in a fasted state, then it's a valid comparison. But not many people do that. The GI index has very limited usefulness.

When I'm looking to feel full on a limited number of calories, the fiber content alone (as long as I'm getting a minimum of the three macros) helps satiation.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Freelee, the Banana girl?

I don't promote this but it is too funny and appropriate not to post. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Freelea

that was awesome thanks. and thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm eating some cherries as I type this. ;)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

that was awesome thanks. and thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm eating some cherries as I type this. ;)

Happens I'm a gamer geek so of course I'm a Boogie fan. He's been struggling a long time. If his doctor green-lights a vegan diet heavy on the fruit, what is there to lose by trying?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't. Insulin drives glycogen production, shuttles nutrients (including glucose) into muscles and organs, and roughly 100 other regulatory functions. Fat storage is simply a matter of caloric surplus vs caloric deficit.

Actually, that's absolutely how it works. It's funny you're trying to argue over it with someone who has insulin resistance. But whatever makes you sleep at night :flowerforyou:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubbles up in here, but sugar is sugar.

Your body does not say "Oh, well THIS sugar came from an APPLE, so I'm going to treat it differently than if it had come from a CANDY BAR".

It's still sugar. It still rots your teeth. It still stimulates the production of insulin.

Fruit these days is absolutely ridiculous and has been bred over years and years to be more packed with sugar and less packed with fiber.

The only outliers in this tend to be berries. They have sugar, but are still primarily fiber, and can be eaten in moderation. If you're worried about your vitamins and minerals, eat more non-starchy vegetables.

Fruits are mostly useless, and are a common trigger for people to over consume because they think "Oh, it's FRUIT! It must be healthy!". But your body goes "Oh, it's SUGAR! Give me more SUGAR!" and pretty soon you're craving any ol' sweet thing.

all food is useless, because even if you eat it, you're going to die anyway!

Shut up and eat your fruit. Or don't. and leave OP and her fruit alone.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is NATURAL SUGAR and GOOD FOR YOU! :) Sugar cane and splenda etc are all empty calories.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

+1 for cherries
    I just had some myself. They're so delicious and inexpensive right now. $1.88/lb today!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Actually, that's absolutely how it works. It's funny you're trying to argue over it with someone who has insulin resistance. But whatever makes you sleep at night :flowerforyou:

Not to stir to pot, but just because you have it doesn't make you all knowledgeable about it. I have migraines, doesn't mean I am an expert in migraines. Not attacking you, just saying that's not a very good argument.

Considering I've spent years working closely with multiple endocrinologists and also studied it in nursing school, I am very knowledgeable in the subject.