WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Back from vacation - and lost a pound. Whooee. Must be a first.

I stopped tracking calories after a few days. Just got too complicated. I couldn't access the Internet and knew I'd never put everything in.

I stayed with my plan to not eat gluten (I'm not allergic, but it's easy stuff to slather with butter or mayo) and to not eat added sugar. The only break I took from that was to use ketchup...and I had a sip of my Mom's "slushie" drink, which I hated...way too sweet. Yech.

Back to tracking today.

I have only 3 more days until my ablation for atrial fibrillation. Not looking forward to that - 5-6 hrs of general anesthesia - but chances of success (no more afib) are good...about 80%. I'm nervous. There's about a 2-3% complication rate, from not-so-bad to urghhh.

JB, I'll be thinking about and praying for Mariah. What a cutie. Watching a child go thru chemo must be the hardest thing in the world.

I'm not going to try to catch up with all your posts - just too many. But I'll keep reading and, hopefully, catch up that way. Thanks for being there.

Mimi
  • SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not sure how Topics work on MFP, but I would love to join up with this group! I need some MFP friends who are in my age group. :) I'm not sure how much I will be able to post right away. My mother is in the hospital and we're not sure when she's going to get to come home. After she's out, I would love to have a group of fitness friends. :)

I have lost around 18 pounds, but have gained about 3 back since my mom's been in the hospital. Eating out really wrecks my eating plan. :/ I like to do the Leslie Sansone Walking DVDs and I've joined Fit2b online for their exercise videos.

Sheila in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JB: Thanks for the update on Mariah. She is adorable and I think of her often. I pray that the treatment is a total success.:flowerforyou:

Sue is SD: I’m curious how a cracked hoof is treated. Shoes and glue? I wish you the best luck getting her healthy again.:flowerforyou:

Sheila in NC: Welcome! Stop by often.:flowerforyou:

I need to get back on the job. I’m supposed to be helping DS work on his boat, but I stopped by the house to put together part of tonight’s dinner.

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    Options
    Good afternnoon,

We had a fabulous time on the garden tour. It was hard to pick my favorite photo from the tour. I did have to learn how to resize my photos so I could add them to my profile page. I had to go to properties and then resize. I also learned you are limited to 18 pictures on your profile page. Now if they could just come into my home and put a limit on what I put on my plate sometimes:laugh:

One of the gardens has a plaque that said he who plants gardens plants happiness. I would certainly agree with that sentiment today. Still smiling. There were two darling fairy gardens I put on my profile page. My photo of the laughing pigs did not make the cut because when I downsized it only their feet showed. I also learned how to protect our strawberries for next year. You use hoops either plastic ones, or in one gardeners case metal. Then you place netting between the hoops quite clever. Some also used this technique to keep off the deer.

One gardener was brave enough to have a rose garden not an easy thing to do with the Japanese Beetle munching on them. . Beetles love roses too especially yellow ones. It was a treat to see his rose garden.

Got my exercise today in a fun way walking around the gardens.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    New profile photo was taken today at lunch in downtown Denver with Meg from Omaha. I'm not sure how to resize it so it doesn't cut off people, but if you click on my main site, you can see the entire photo. From left to right: JaneHadji, Laura80111, yours truly, and Meg. We had a wonderful 2 hour visit. She, her husband and DD#2 are now headed west through the Rockies to camp and find bears. Good times.

Who's next to visit?

Rori in the Colorado Foothills
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday morning and my REST day. Stan cooked Sunday Brunch and rice pudding in slow cooker for dinner with roast lamb dinner.to cook when I get home from drive.
    Our Beagle dog Mildred has not been well, she is 11 1/2, but looks MUCH better today as she managed to jump on the bed for a morning cuddle. First time in 2 weeks and so happy.
    We will drive along the coast to Ulverstone and walk along the riverside walks. Only allowed to walk today for muscle to rest.
    I have got in over 10,000 steps all week again and happy with that. Raining yesterday so in between showers I walked around my 400M track for the 40 minutes I had listed.
    Will print out Cory Evason's weights plan to Monday. My weight is going UP but muscles feel better. Did weights 4 out of 6 days and sure felt them working again.
    Tasmania is truly beautiful with many great sandy beaches and many off-leash dog running beaches, SO lucky for our doggy pals. Interstate visitors do not understand we have off-leash beaches, poor loves. We live a 25 minute drive inland from nearest towns, Wynyard or Somerset, through pleasant farming countryside where we do our grocery shopping once a week.. Nearest big town is Burnie, a 40 minute drive by the sea. We live a 1 hour drive from Cradle Mountain and have some great walking tracks. We are a holiday Island and it is truly beautiful. BUT not much work. We grow trees for export and have lots of mines too.

Lesley, Tasmania, Australia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Patty, your grand daughters sound wonderful, mine will be 13 next month. I also am very proud of how she has grown up to be a responsible, grown up but yet enthusiastic teenager. She is in cross country also, not any good but the coach loves to have her on the team just because of her attitude towards life.

jb, thanks for the update on Mariah. She is such a cute young lady! It is amazing how the kids get us through things like cancer. When my sister had cancer and she was about to be taken to the operating room to have her arm amputated she told my parents a joke to lighten the mood. What is something that is black and white, black and white and black and white? A nun rolling down a hill.

Sheila, welcome. Hope your Mom does OK. When my husband is in the hospital is when I get my most steps in. We do a lot of walking plus the cafeteria is a good walk from the cardiac unit. And there's the parking!!!!

Today our little trio needed to have an extra practice at the church. As I have said, our music minister is a stickler for timing. It has to be perfect or we don't sing it! Both the other ladies said that it is so good to have a good ladies trio again. They frequently sing together as a duet but miss having the trio. I sing the lowest part. We even sing the first verse a cappela and I am right on with that. I was talking to Charlie tonight at supper that if I had stayed at my old church that I would have been so upset about the changes. They are so contemporary, no choir at all. I would have had to make the gut wrenching decision to leave. I had been at that church for many years, everyone besides me, husband and both kids, had been baptized there, both girls married there. It was important to me. I just wonder if I would have just gradually accepted the changes. But it all worked out the way it was supposed to. My Mom got hurt in the process because I wasn't in church for several years but I am in a church that I love and in particular, I have my choir to sing in plus singing in a small group. Now if my MS would just let me remember peoples names. Every Sunday morning I look at the pictorial directory and try to memorize another face. When we we finished practicing we were gathered in the foyer and the husbands of both the ladies in the trio and the pastor and I were just yacking and I happened to notice the pastors zipper was down. OOPS. What does a person do? I asked the pianist and she discreetly looked and agreed with me. She said she would try to get her husband aside and tell him so he could tell the pastor.

Joyce, Indiana where it is hot and HUMID
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bumping bump bump
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Whew! We took the dogs up to walk across the dam and afterward I said I needed to walk some more, so hubby took the dogs home and I walked all the way from the far side of the dam, around the marina, down a side road to a cabin area that sticks out into the lake, then when I got to our driveway my stupid fitbit said I still had 2,000 steps left to go! So I walked south past our drive, made a couple of loops around and back to the driveway and STILL it had not gone off! By then it was fully dark, so I had to come inside. I synced to the ipad and found out I still need over 300 steps!

I should get extra credit for walking in the heat and humidity, plus fighting off a horsefly that circled around me the whole way. At one point hubby tried to call me but I thought my fitbit was making a funny noise, not realizing it was the cell phone in my pocket. So, he got in the car and went looking for me, but I had gone down the side road so he didn't see me. When he got back to the cabin, he couldn't find Bruno. The silly little guy had gone all the way up the spiral stairs and had made himself comfy on the bed!

So now I'm going to walk in circles in the cabin till I hit my goal. At least it's cool inside.

Goodnight ladies!

Sylvia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Needed to get my workout in early and I totally forgot that the Y doesn't open until 8. I wasn't about to wait an hour for them to open so I came home and just did that ASAP DVD that I have. Then went to the farmer's market. Didn't get any beets since I have two containers in my freezer as it is but got more corn. Came home and cooked it. As I'm cooking it, Jessica is eating it! Before I cooked it, we went to the Hallmark store. They are starting their ornaments. We got about 12. Vince likes to get them. I think some are so cool. Then I came home and made the corn. After I check in here, I think I'll go in the pool, Jess and Vince are already there. She can't get her arm in the water, but she can sit in the pool. Update: went in the pool. Jess, Vince and I played mompong which is mom laying on her float and Jess and Vince pushing her back and forth

Tomorrow I'm planning to do the other two DVD's in the CardioFit package. I really want to check them out. I'll just do the barbell one in two weeks, I can't go to the extremepump class so I'll take the DVD to the Y and use their equipment.

Welcome everyone new!

Carol in NC - wow! Things are going great for you, I'm so so happy. You know something? When we sold our home in Kennett Square, we got MORE than what we asked for! Wouldn't surprise me if that happes to you.

CynthiaT60 - when Jess got here last night, you could tell Lance was so very comfortable. Guess he's used to her. At least he got somewhat used to me.

Patty - happy birthday to you granddaughters

Joanie - loved the pic

Karen - Emergency English Muffin Hotline...you're a hoot! Oh no, glad you got a new cord. I hate when things like that happen

Guess who called today? Don't understand why he didn't just wait until Diana was home so we could wish both of them a happy anniversary, but I guess that's not a big deal.

Jan - My grandmother, to me anyway, raised me and that was in northern NJ! After we got married, we moved to the Poconos and then to southern PA. My mother is from norther PA, tho. It was funny, when we lived in the Poconos if you were from NJ not much was thought of you. We had a neighbor who wouldn't talk to us until Vince got his licenseplate from Lehigh (a courtesy plate). Another neighbor asked me where I was from. When I told him NJ I got this disgusted look. So I told him that my mother was from Eynon (PA). I just didn't mention that she was dead for 40 years and had lived in NJ for about 20 before she died. I also told him that my husband lived in Bethlehem. I just didn't mention that he only lived there while he was in college. Suddenly, I was a decent person to talk to!

Heather - you WILL post of pic of the Brighton Belles, right?????

jb - for everything she's been thru, Mariah's smile can't get much brighter. She certainly is one gal to look up to

Jane - not only are my fingers crossed, but so are my toes, legs, and anything else that can be crossed!

Jess wants to have hot dogs for dinner tonight. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a hot dog, I'm going to have a salmon burger. After church I need to stop at WalMart to get hot dog buns and coleslaw. I'll put some coleslaw without dressing in a dish for me. I made that key lime pie but I also have some cherries, so maybe I'll put that out, too.

mimi - best of luck to you on your ablation. Vince tried to have it done, and he just couldn't. Hope you can,

Sheila in NC - wow! ANOTHER NC gal. What part of NC are you in? Welcome!

Rori - lovely pic of all of you

Leslie - Tasmania sousnds like a really beautiful place. Thanks for the info about it

Joyce - thanks for the smile!

Sylvia - there are times when I could swear that my pedometer wasn't registering the steps that I took.

Michele in NC
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi to all ! Welcome to the newcomers, this is a great group of women , we share our experience, strength and hopes with the common cause of a healthy life style and I for one treasure each and every one of you ! It is a breath of fresh air to know that what I encounter in my everyday life can be shared with my sisters here and for me it is safe. I am not good at jotting down notes whole reading posts, and trying to comment on what I read, I guess it is my own form of A.D.D, but none the less, I so enjoy our community.

The weather here in Monroe is in for some really hot day's the next 5 in a row...the 90's are just crazy, but I will survive. :explode:
    I am finding lately I just am not having an appetite, I imagine it is the weather, I am consuming at least 12 glasses of water a day, Whew ! If I was not on the plan, about right now, I would be bloated, sweating, and miserable, but, I xan honestly say, I am not retaining any water, I have not had any heat exertions or been miserable due to excessive weight. It amazes me how my 24 lb loss has made a diferance in my overall self !!!

I had shared a few weeks back with my sister my new lifestyle, she was excited and happy for me, she was going to start M.F.P. so.....I talked to her 4 days ago and sge has not. I know we all move in our own time and when we are ready., but, when she asked
    me how I was doing, she actually said shut up she did not want to hear my success ! I will pray for her and hope but not obsess that she comes around !

I am going to close for now, tomorrow's early call is 4 A.M. !!!

Have a great rest of the weekend and Happy Monday to those miles away!!

Carol in Monroe :drinker:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Carol in Monroe, all of my family get tired of me feeling how I am doing, or that I had to get a new size, etc. One thing I have done, since there are 4 of us, 3 is me and my 2 daughters and then niece, I do a Kimmel girl update every week on Face Book and they do like that. For several weeks it' was mostly my oldest daughter adding to the loss now for two weeks in a row both of us have added to it. When I need to go shopping for new clothes though my youngest daughter that lives in town with me really likes to go shopping and be my fashion guide. Between her and my MIL who dies in March they have helped me out of my shell some.

Mimi, I had it written down on my trusty note pad to wish you luck but I forgot. When I was working as an RN, I applied for a job in the lab that does those ablations but when I heard how long the procedures are and that they expect the nurses to be so involved in the community education of all of the different rhythm problems I removed my application. It is a fascinating field. i never took care of one after wards though that was not a success.

Joyce, Indiana
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Joyce. I am trying to keep my worrying self in check!
    Mimi
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,641 Member
    Options
    Hi all, so back tracking a bit trying to catch up…. and no time to chat about how I am; but tomorrow I'll tell you that part!:laugh:

Deb A. – home made yogurt… was it hard?

Menopause suffers – I feel so sad for you all, I sailed through, never an issue… sending you all good thoughts!

Jane – wish you could just have this townhouse!!! Sending good thoughts about the extra mammogram! Later – tears on the townhouse….:ohwell:

Dragonfly – welcome, guess I was not quick enough for you….

Lcarrollcc1 – while I am not dealing with the menopause issues, if I did not weigh/measure all my food and log it, I would not lose any weight.

Karen, meredith – welcome

Lesley – you have done all the right things for your granddaughter.

Michele - encourage Denise to get that Associates degree; finishing that is better than nothing, my sister was many years ago 1 unit shy of her BA and then the love of her life got in the way and she did not finish; went back to finish 17 years later and all the requirements changed and instead of 1 unit she needed 35 (most of them things that if she had had the AA they would not have counted) and so she never did it…:noway:

Kayzoola – great to hear DH has joined you on MFP

Joyce, sounds like you are taking all the best steps with your sister, “fun” times, driving when they’ll let you, getting others involved… sometimes it takes a team!

Could you “sneak in” and “borrow” some the strongest of her back up supply and just have them be gone?

Vicki – congrats on the grandbaby!!! I am sorry you don’t like the way you look, I wonder if a visit to a “nice” salon for a new hairdo that would go with your new skinny body would help? And maybe some training on makeup for the you that doesn’t have chubby cheeks?

Alison – I hate to hear that a 14 year old is already done with childhood, but she is way to young to have a baby and if this is the way to prevent that I think it is for the best. You have so much on your plate, that I am not surprised that you fall back to munching out…. It is hard to leave behind our old habits.

Katla, your DH quote had me laughing out loud! Glad someone else is beginning the Christmas gift thinking too… I just have to spread out the spending…

Sylvia – What a great thing you did for those girls!! And tucked in some learning… you are grandma of the year! Loved the joke!!!

Michele – I defiantly think you should stay too busy for a week or two…

Carol – great news on the house price! Out here the is a shortage of houses available so some of the nice ones get bid up and actually sell for more (sometimes lots more) than the asking price.

Heather – too bad you and Jane did not live close – you could rent to her!

MNMargaret – I have been using straw in my veggie garden – I always buy one of those little bales for decorating in the fall from a craft store and then use it in the spring and summer in the garden. But I have always had an “overfilled” garden of non-edible plants and just not mulched, but this year we had a hard freeze in Dec. and then so little rain, and it was against the rules to put in new plants in the spring – due to the drought – so suddenly I have bare patches, the old plants froze and no new plants… I think I am going to buy some small bark, that should break down pretty fast.

JB – LOL on the comic; missed you; glad to read the Mariah update- sounds really tough but that she is being a trooper!

Karen in CT - too funny as I love carbs, but really could care less about English muffins…we all have a “thing” ….

Jane - More good townhouse thoughts!!!!!

Sheila - welcome

Katla – great picture!

Michele – love the idea of mompong! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Today’s step count: 18,745
    Kim from N. California
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Jane Martin:smile: Hope this townhouse is the one:bigsmile: !!!!

Rori:smile: Thanks for sharing the pic! All you ladies look gorgeous:smokin: !!!

Jb:smile: Love the "diet cone":laugh: ! Thanks for the update on Mariah, she does have a gorgeous smile!!!! I just hate this beautiful child has to go through so much:sad: !

Mimi:smile: Wishing you the best of luck:flowerforyou: !!!

Margaret:smile: Sounds like a beautiful time!!!

Michele:smile: Mompong.....love it! Sounds like loads of fun! Glad Bryan called you!!!!

Carol in Monroe:smile: I don't have much of an appetite when it's hot either. I finally had a little salad last night about 9pm, didn't really want anything, but thought I should eat something :ohwell: ! This is the only place I talk about my weight loss or weight stall...people have to be ready to change. When someone asks me I just tell them I'm watching what I eat. The ladies here are the best:heart: !!!!

Vicki:smile: We are our own worst critics:grumble: . I think Kim has a great idea, a new hairstyle and some new makeup may be just the thing to find your beautiful self again:love: !!! I think you already look lovely just the way you are!!!

Shelia:smile: Hi, I'm in NC too!!! There are several of us here!!! Hope you'll pop in often!

Kim:smile: Waiting to hear about you now:happy: !!!

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: !!!

I spent most of yesterday outside:love: !! I went to a coffee shop and sat outside, a couple of friends popped by for a bit and then I sat there and read a magazine (I never have time to read a magazine at home:grumble: ). I almost went to sleep reading :blushing: , so I decided to come home and take a nap:yawn: , it was wonderful. I can't remember the last time I had an afternoon nap! Today I'm going to go boss the boys for a little bit and then the grocery store...wish I knew what I wanted to eat the next few day:ohwell: .

I've just heard about the horrible storms in the Rocky Mountain National park, is that where Meg was going camping? I hope she's doing okay!!

Have a wonderful Sunday ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: !!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in hot NC
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello All, The twins party was a great success. I love those girls so much, they were premature and so tiny when they were born they fit in the same basinet. Now at thirteen they are healthy and taller than me.
    I got a lot of yard work done yesterday, today I had planned to start with a bike ride but a storm is brewing. I will go down and do my elliptical and work out in the basement. I might go to the Y later.
    I am going to clean house, make a roast and cook up some chicken for the week.
    The moon was awesome last night, I hope others got a chance to see it.

Karen, I work at the Y and work out there as well, our Y is like a family, I hope yours will be too.

JB, Mariah's smile looks like it would brighten any room, continues prayer for her and the family.

Guess I need to get up and get going,
    Have a great day,
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,286 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon from a still dry:grumble: Hampshire in the south of England. The promised rain never arrived.:sad:

Jb- so good to get an update on Mariah. It's a hard haul, but it all sounds very promising!:flowerforyou:

Mimi - I looked up the procedure on Wikipedia. You should get a good result.:flowerforyou: What amazing times we live in!:flowerforyou:

Rori - love the photo of the Colorado gals! ! ! ! ! Wish I could have joined you!:love::flowerforyou:

Sylvia - so happy for you that the fitbit is egging you on!:flowerforyou: Technology can be our pal.:drinker:

Michele - so glad Bryan phoned.:flowerforyou: I wish I could get an email from my depressed son.:ohwell: He tweeted somebody two days ago so he is still in the land of the living.:cry:

Carol in Monroe - isn't it great when you aren't so knocked out by the heat! :flowerforyou: I have definitely noticed the difference this year. The only time I have overheated is when I am doing my strength training and in bed. We don't generally have A C in private houses in the UK. I have a fan in the room where we have our machines. The elliptical is by an open window, the rower creates its own breeze and I turn the fan on for the recumbent bike. I do my strength training in our bedroom which is south facing, so I open the window and lower the blinds, but I still drip buckets! ! ! ! ! TMO!
    I'm sure your sister will get used to the new you. Unfortunately I think a lot of us have got used to the idea that you can't expect everyone to be glad for us, especially if they are jealous! I shut up about my weight loss unless someone is genuinely interested, but even then I sense they are inwardly rolling their eyes! ! ! ! :laugh:

Kim - you asked Deb about the yoghourt. I have been making it for a long time now as I much prefer it to the bought stuff and we eat a lot of it. A trip to India reminded me what yoghourt should taste like.
    I use full milk because I prefer the flavour. 2 pints at a time. I bring it to the boil, stirring from time to time, and keep it on a low heat until it coats the back of a wooden spoon. That all tskes maybe ten minutes. Leave to cool to blood heat. Use a starter of some yoghourt, either organic bought or what you have left from last time, about two or three tablespoons. I use a pyrex pudding bowl. Put the starter in the bowl and pour the cooled milk on top, stir. I put the bowl in the small oven with the light on to keep it warm for a few hours and then try to remember to turn the light off when I go to bed. In the morning you have a big bowl of lovely yoghourt! ! ! ! Clingfilm it and put in the fridge. Good luck! I make it probably every four days.
    You could buy an electric yoghourt maker, but the fewer things clogging up the kitchen the better!

Well, I have just cooked 12 chocolate fudge cupcakes for DH and 8 mini ones for DGS to decorate next weekend. I have some lovely sprinkles and some animal jungle decorations for him to put on the mini ones.:love::love: :heart: I would have done the baking with him, but he is only three and they are only here for 24 hours. Another time. As long as he has fun with the decorating! Can't wait to see them and hug the squelicious baby! ! ! !:laugh:
    Tonight is Hairy Bikers Spanish Chicken. With mange tout.

World Cup Final tonight. Can't decide whether to watch it with DH or not.:tongue: Either way the dinner will have to be ready in good time.:bigsmile: He watches the cricket at 7pm and I watch the Tour de France.

Love to all. Thinking of Meg in the stormy Rocky Mountains. :heart:

Heather in sunny and dry Hampshire UK
  • Kacie62
    Kacie62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, I'm new to all this but on a determined mission to get healthy and lose this weight. Looking for friendship and support as I start this journey. I've never really been a dieter, or an exerciser but my dr ( oncologist) told me that I'm a prime candidate for heart disease, and my BMI indicates I'm over weight. I asked myself where do I start and chose here.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Rori, great photo of all of you! How fun Meg was able to meet up before she went out looking for bears :wink:

Margaret, and anyone else with slugs - we have them something fierce here in Oregon. Last week when I picked up some flakes of straw that I'd put down to mulch the row of peas, I found more than a few huge slugs. Off with their heads! Haha. Yes, I cut them in half with my shovel, almost gagging while doing so! The size of the ones I found underneath the potato plants just about sent me to sick bay! :sick: Gross! At first sight I thought maybe a large dog had paid a visit to the garden and left a few "gifts" :noway:

I spread Sluggo around the flower beds at home, it works pretty well. It's not harmful to pets or wildlife, but it does require several applications throughout the year, and it's rather expensive. I need a 55 gallon drum of it! :grumble:

I don't find the seeds in wheat straw to be much of a problem...the wheat that does grow is easy to see, and easy to pull. I've never put down newspaper first, but it's not a bad idea. Slugs would love it. :smile:

Speaking of gardening, I have lots to do this morning before it gets hot. Compost to spread, mulch to haul, weeding to do, and watering. Harvesting beets, fennel bulbs, swiss chard, zucchini. I can hardly wait for the green beans!! :love:

Thanks for your continued good thoughts for Mariah. :heart:

:smile: jb up-n-adam in Portland :glasses:

PS - I haven't forgotten about about a photo of the quinoa plants - will take camera with me today!
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Jane- I am praying that this townhouse is for you!!

Meg- Love the story of the greeter cat. Seeing all of the dogs the other campers had with them when we went camping helped fill the void created by leaving ours home. He is just too old to travel with us and spent the time at home being pampered by my sister.

jb- Thanks for the update on Mariah. She is always in my prayers. What a beautiful girl! Love the cartoon! What does quinoa require for growth? Love it!

Kim- Heather's yogurt recipe is very similar to how I made mine. Her version is faster. I followed a recipe that uses the crock pot. Very easy, tastes better than store bought, and I know exactly what is in it!

rori- Thanks for sharing the picture. You are all beautiful women! Would love to be able to meet up with some of the ladies here. Someone mentioned a cruise?!

We picked up DMIL from the airport last night. She looks great and my cat and dog are thrilled to have her here too! They haven't seen her in two years, but remember her. Fun to see their reactions.

On a sadder note, I got a call as we were headed to the airport to let me know my nephew was in an accident on his motorcycle. A car pulled out in front of him. He is in intensive care after having surgery, but expected to be okay. Prayers would be welcomed. His mother has been busy and stressed as she is planning his brother's upcoming wedding.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Deb in CNY