Juice fast

Options

Replies

• KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    Liquid diet is a good option, but it not works for all people. It is necessary to take some food with it. I think you shold also take some food with low calorie. It keeps you healthy as well as fit.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Juice fasting is very good for loosing weight, you were loose weight fast if you live on only juice to whole day, in these it is really nice to have weight loss by drinking juice of green vegetables and fruits, the health benefits are unproven with many health professionals. Vegetable juice will give nutrition to your body, well it is good option for weight loss but it not always work, some body needs solid food and cereals for generating energy and stamina in body.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Tell you what dude i will bet the ranch that if i lose 50 lbs in the next 55 days on the juice fast you will tell me its water weight that i lost

So... what are we cleansing again?

Brain cells, apparently... :/

:laugh:

I def don't recommend doing a juice fast for a long period of time. These other ppl are kindly pointing out that it is non-sustainable nor will it aid in a permanent lifestyle change.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I loved the "calorie counting freaks" and "water weight haters" comments :laugh:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    oh my.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If any of you are gullible enough to believe that by consuming over 1500 calories per day and in excess of 3000 then you are as dumb as you look I wouldnt be surprised with that amt of calories if you havent gained at least 30 lbs by now

I've eaten over 1500 calories per day since November and I havent gained 30 lb - haven't gained anything, in fact.:smile:

ETA: sorry there are no YouTube pics of this.

50 year old woman eats over 1500 calories per day and does not gain weight !!!!!
    Amazing but true!!!

Or perhaps she has spent last 8 months faking her diary just to pretend this :tongue:

I second this...

I have MFP set to lose .5lb/week, which puts me at 1410 per day without exercise. My goal is really maintenance though so I usually go over a bit. When I work out, I easily eat 1800 calories. I haven't gained weight (outside of the normal water/hormonal fluctuations) for the better part of year.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just for comparison: I eat 2200 calories a day and I have lost an average of 1.5 lbs per week. I am a former Chef (so yes, I've studied nutrition) and a 1500 calorie diet is nowhere near "necessary" to make the scale move.

Reduce your caloric intake. Eat good food. Exercise. That is all it takes. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen and it will happen in a healthy way.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    has no one else noticed that this guy is a 'competitive eater' yet does not know how he gained weight?

And now he is going on a juice fast for 2 weeks to lose weight, which he admits will only be water weight and that he will gain it back when he goes back to eating food.

He seems to have a real problem with extremes. And keeping his stories straight. Perhaps a visit to a therapist might be on order.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    has no one else noticed that this guy is a 'competitive eater' yet does not know how he gained weight?

Oh, I noticed. I was discussing it with my husband last night. My husband thinks he might be a troll, since he seems to argue with everyone and pull crap out of thin air claiming others said it (example, he seems to think someone here eats 3500 calories a day....even though no one ever said they did)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think one day a month on just juice would be great. The stomach gets used to being filled up, so on fast day it would shrink a little bit, making the next day that much easier. I have a blood sugar problem, or I would do it.

Is that a theory of yours or do you have some medical science to back up the idea of stomach shrinking happening as a result of a liquid diet?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Liquid diet is a good option If your jaw is wired shut , but it not works for all people. It is necessary to take some food with it. I think you shold also take some food with low calorie. It keeps you healthy as well as fit.

does not compute.....

liquid diet = no solids...that's why it's called a liquid diet
  • cropaway
    cropaway Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 9 day cleanse with isagenix. its not to bad. on day 7 now and lost 5 lbs. I am almost at my goal so its more for the cleanse then the weight loss. With no coffee- or my wine at night I feel great! Once I am done though- its back to small portions and counting my calories. Good Luck!
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have been off this site for 8 months . I could not maintain a 14 to 1500 calorie a day plan which is essential if you really want to lose weight. I know i will get skeptics but the only real solution for me was to go on juice fast I am on day 7 and i lost 11 lbs . MFP is great but what i lost in 7 days would have taken me more than a month with MFP What i have learned during this fast which i might end by the end of next week , is to appreciate small amts of food fruits veggies etc. It is much easier to transition to 1400 calories or less per day after doing a juice cleanse because although you will lose weight there is a price to peid and that is pure torture and some starvation. If you stick to the green juices every 3 hrs or so you wont feel hungry but at some point you will crave food but not in that drastic sense as if you just drank water . I will be back on the calorie count shortly

Just know that when you start eating again, you will gain about 5 pounds. I know, I've done it several times. Fasting works but it's only short term. Have you tried the 5:2 plan? This is outlined in the book, The Fast Diet.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

^^^ This is exactly what I came here to say. Cleanses are generally ineffective, and "toxins" don't exist. Even the Wiki article cites that there is no evidence that these undefined toxins exist, and that it has been entirely rejected by the vast majority of scientists - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detoxification_(alternative_medicine) . There's a lot of pseudoscience floating around the world of diet and nutrition, and we've really got to make an effort to stick with methods that are actually supported by science.

Crash diets don't work. You always end up gaining back most of the weight you lost. I am new here, but I started using this site because I actually want to change my lifestyle in a meaningful way. I didn't gain weight overnight, so why should I expect to lose it overnight? I want to start eating and exercising in a way that is sustainable. A diet that severely restricts my diet and calorie intake would be miserable.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    In to learn more about how I should have gained 30 lbs eating the amount of delicious solid food I eat.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Every time someone mentions "toxins" to me I say: "Name one. Just one "toxin" that you cleanse from your system."

The body has its own cleansing mechanisms and you use one of them just about every day- your adzhole. Cleanses do nothing more than make you defecate what you would normally defecate sooner. Ever notice that the people pushing the cleanses rarely have medical degrees? Or they say that modern medicine isn't effective in ridding the body of these undefinable poisons. So, pseudoscience can detect things that modern science cannot?

Snake-oil salesman used to use the exact same techniques to sell their wares: scare people with unsupported claims and then say their product can clean them out. Well, if you can't define them in the first place, how do you know your cleanse is getting them out?
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Mostly in for science but I'll try to write a thoughtful response....

OP, I have never done a juice fast and I'm not entirely sure what you're juice consists of. You did mention green juice so I'm assuming mostly green veggies. Regardless, the juice derived from fruits and vegetables will be packed with vitamins and minerals and carbs, great. But you're neglecting fat and protein both of which are required to maintain a balanced diet. I agree with most others in here that you are losing mostly water weight, some fat and certainly some muscle with the lack of protein consumption. However, you seem to be fine with the fact that it is mostly water weight. After all, a downward movement on the scale is something to celebrate. The issue with water weight is that it comes back once you start eating solid foods and working out. So don't be surprised by the end of your fast if you gain 90% of the weight back. To me it would be a waste of time to gain that weight back because I much rather have spent the week eating more solid and delicious foods.

But to your point that this will make the transition into maintaining a 1,400-1,500 calorie diet easier when the fast is over. Because I have never done a fast I do not know if that is true but I can understand your logic. You're basically saying that you've gotten used to eating/drinking a low daily calorie amount so it won't be hard to continue to eat at 1,400-1,500. However, you sound like you have never done this fast before so you don't actually know how your body will adjust.

I do wish you get the LONG TERM results you are looking for and that this fast can help "jump start" a SUSTAINABLE weight loss plan. If you are looking for something long term then, yes, you will need to start counting calories (logging and weighing food).