rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• AnnBassham
    AnnBassham Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My ex-mother-in-law said I needed a sign that said "Wide Load" on my butt!
  • demonsheep
    demonsheep Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A "friend" told me once that if I was taller, I'd be pretty because then everything would "stretch out"
  • Rogue_Girl
    Rogue_Girl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Back when I initially lost 85lbs, my neighbor invited me over to "fix her computer." She locked me in the house and insisted on telling me how unhealthy I was, how I was likely abusing drugs to get to thin, how clearly I had something "dark in my soul" and how I needed God to help me, and how she wouldn't let me leave until I ate a piece of cake. And then I'm pretty sure she tried to get me to have sex with her.

WTF? I mean what the actual *kitten*?

Why in the world are there so many wackadoodle people!?

Wackadoodle is my very favourite word ever :happy:

That woman does indeed sound like a fruitcake. How did you manage to get free?

I convinced her that she'd see me next Sunday at church, accepted the religious-publisher book on anorexia she gave me, and walked out the front door. The book went right into her flower garden.

Ha! Love it. Although pig that I am, I would have been like "GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU CRAZY OLD WIT- Ooooh, cake! Go on then, one quick slice" Lol.

Before I even looked at your profile Bex, I knew you had to be English (I married a Brit so I've been "exposed" lol)

Haha! Am I that obviously British? I guess so, what what! I would also probably risk roofies for a nice bit of cake.

Lol, you know what was the give-away? "Go on then..." Funny, huh? :-D
  • Rogue_Girl
    Rogue_Girl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Rudest comment was actually when I was at my skinniest. Only in the last four years have I gained weight and it wasn't even bad (but it was bad for me) but 15 years ago I was actually desperate to gain weight. At 5'6" I was 100 lbs and no matter what I ate I could not gain. I looked like crap.

I was at the supermarket, l had a container of ice cream in my hand and was looking at the flavors, trying to chose a second one and a lady came up to me and said "Why even bother when you are going to force yourself to throw up anyway?"

Wow. Just. Wow.

I think, for me anyway, I forget that there are really slender people who have their own issues that they are dealing with. Thank you, in that painful way, for reminding me that the grass isn't always greener.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Well, my problem was not being fat but I was called ugly a lot. However, my stupid ex-roommate would say "goooorda" (translated from Spanish "faaaaatty") like if it was funny; this was like two years ago. She is thin and flabby with a huge middle.

Nuff said. South American chicks think because their arm and legs are thin, that they don't have a problem. It's all in their middles.
  • suprangela79
    suprangela79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was at Panera Bread eating a sandwich (as a treat to myself since I had a terrible day at work) and two women were sitting across from me. The place was mostly packed and they came up and snickered and pointed at me and made crude "fatty" gestures (putting their hands apart, keeping air in their cheeks for a "bloated" look) and I heard one of them say "ew, I don't wanna sit next to her, I'll get fat and ugly too". At first I didn't pay attention to them but they just kept poking "fun" and saying things to each other like I wasn't there. They made me feel like a monster. They were saying things like "ew it looked at me!" "oh my god I ordered the same thing she did, does that mean I'm a fat cow too?" "wow, I'm surprised she doesn't need two of those chairs!" "or four!" inbetween fits of laughing and staring at me like I wasn't human. I left in tears.

I would have been banned for life from Panera because I probably would have went over and dumped my drink on them and blasted them for all to hear. Why do people feel it is necessary to be jerks?!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    My now ex husband told me he was no longer attracted to me because I was too big for him.
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was walking into a clothing store with my BBF and a random women and her friend come up to me and say "Are you pregnant?" I said "no, my daughter is 4 weeks old now" the women then said "You need to be wearing a girdle"

Most humiliating moment of my life.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    Wow. I never cease to be amazed by the cruelty some folks seem so delighted to dole out to others. I'm really sorry that you all have been through such things. And idiots out there still think shame is an effective weight loss motivation tool. Smh. I was pretty fat as a kid and I remember very distinctively my dad telling me that no would love me unless I stopped eating like a pig and lost weight. I think I would have been around 11 or 12. He saw no problem with saying I shouldn't eat this or that in front of friends and family who were enjoying the same foods. All the while modeling an inactive lifestyle and bringing home unhealthy foods. :/ In hindsight he just didn't know how to deal with his concern over my weight and was the kind of man for whom a woman's worth was primarily her appearance. He is very different now, never comments on my weight except to say I am doing a good job losing it. I am glad for that. I wonder if he knows how much his words held me back from losing for so long. PS, he was wrong, I met honestly the sweetest, most romantic man ever, he loved me at over 300 lbs, tells me I'm beautiful, and with his unconditional love and gentle support I started to see my own value as more than just a shell, I care about myself now...and folks, that's the best weight loss motivation there is.

You just made me tear up at work! :sad:
  • Bexchubb
    Bexchubb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think most of the rude comments I've gotten about my weight have come from overweight people.

This weekend, I went to brunch with some friends, and someone said "Oh, I've been working so hard to lose weight, I've cut out soda/sweets/junk food, and I've only lost 5lbs. You didn't change anything and the weight has just come off! You're so lucky!"

I guess that's not really rude about my weight, but I still think it's pretty damn rude to assume someone is having an easy time losing weight, just because they don't go all super restrictive.

Oh yea, Ive had this loads since I started. "So what are you doing to lose weight?" I tell them, and theyre like "Well that doesnt sound that hard. Cmon, tell me the truth- you're not really just cutting calories!" Like they really cant believe that I could be doing it properly, I MUST be cheating somehow and living on milkshakes or starving myself. For gods sake, I started at almost 20st! Of course it came off quicker at first, my poor body was crying out for me to eat properly!
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This thread is so sad. I just want to hug you all. And weep for humanity that there are so many cruel people in the world.

I've never had many negative comments about being overweight, even though I am definitely in that category now. The majority of nasty/negative comments I've had have been when I've been slimmer (but firmly in the 'healthy' weight category) - 'oh you look awfully gaunt, are you SURE you're eating enough?' 'You are going to stop now aren't you? You're already too skinny!'

Bizarre. As I say, I was firmly in the healthy weight category.

But I've gotta say, I've always been, and continue to be my own worst criticizer!
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    The worst instance for me was when my step-grandmother (mother of my stepmother) stopped my 16th birthday party saying "Can I just say something?" and everyone turned and looked at her. I think we all expected that she would say something like a toast to my birthday or something similar. Instead she started a rant about how teenagers should not be fat, that she would give me pointers on how to lose weight, etc. A family friend actually forced her out of the room before she stopped talking. Now she wonders why I never visit her. (The best part was, she was overweight at the time, and was seriously calling attention to that fact without realizing it.)
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I was 6 months pregnant and my stepmother said "You really shouldn't use being pregnant as an excuse to gain all that weight"

another one she said was " you are getting way to big, look at your feet! You need to cut back your eating habits"

"Soon you are going to be just like your aunty (fill in blank)!! "
    My aunty is a 400 pound woman.

These were all said while I was pregnant by my stepmother..

Yep..
  • tyrannosarausREX
    Options
    "God's cruel joke. A fat girl with a small chest"

yep. now I'm a fit girl with a small chest. I couldn't care less about my bra size.
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was a fatty through most of elementary school. I remember after school one time during a scholastic bowl tournament, my team and I were messing around playing hide and seek in the court yard. One of the guys came out while I was still hiding and said "where's the fat one?" Very humiliating. I've had several others, but don't really care to remember them all right now thanks :)
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Not too long after I lost all of my weight and made it to maintenance...
    Working out heavily at the gym all the while during and after the weight loss...
    and was in the best shape of my adult life...
    my mother, who lives 600 miles away and we only saw each other on the big holidays, asked me if I was anorexic.
  • Carross1018
    Options
    I haven't had too many people say anything to me about my weight to my face.
    The only ones that really bother me is when people yell things out of cars, especially with other people around.
    It's really embarrassing plus I can't stand up for myself.

The only time I can really remember is this guy I was on a second date with asked me "How could you do this to yourself, you're gorgeous but you could be so much prettier if you lost weight"

... He didn't understand why I didn't want to see him ever again. LOL.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Oh my....I am so sorry for all the pain that has been inflected on so many people here. There are just too many people who only feel good when they are making someone else feel bad. I am sad that so many people are attacked due to their weight, and some really did have no control over it...especially those of us who were chubby kids.

But on the other hand, I am so motivated by your stories of overcoming these attacks and being better for it. We all have our battles, and this happens to be one that most of us can conquer.
  • Kakibot
    Kakibot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I remember back in school a classmate of mine told me she thinks I only wear baggy clothes to hide all that fat. Looking back (pretty sure you know this feeling) it feels totally ridiculous because at that point I was nowhere near being fat.
    Later on in university a coursemate who was working for a women's magazine kept asking me at parties, in front of my friends, if I want to take part in their weight loss project. Clearly not the thing you wanna hear when you go out for a party and you spent time on making yourself look pretty.
    My stepdad frequently asked about my weight just to go WHOA THAT'S A LOT! (well at least he is the one person who now always tells me I look like I lost weight.)

(But thankfully I can also sit here and think of lot of NICE comments. Phew)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump