Options
    Your butt is gonna cry....
  • Emeryeon
    Emeryeon Posts: 61
    Options
    why is everyone being negative

Was that a question ? Or a statement !
    idk i guess a statement maybe
    all they were saying was that they were going on a juice fast so, its no one elses life but theirs so its not like it matters. I dont get why everyone has an attitude.
    Stick around and you'll figure it out.
    lmao
    no.
    Then you might find yourself having a rough time here.
    mmk then

edit
    Also I didnt mean being negative about the idea, I meant negative as in being an *kitten* for no reason.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Were you gaining weight when you were eating?
    If not, then I don't see anything wrong with your juice fast. But if you can't eat at maintenance when you finish with juicing, that will be the problem.
  • Emeryeon
    Emeryeon Posts: 61
    Options
    why is everyone being negative

Was that a question ? Or a statement !
    idk i guess a statement maybe
    all they were saying was that they were going on a juice fast so, its no one elses life but theirs so its not like it matters. I dont get why everyone has an attitude.
    Stick around and you'll figure it out.
    lmao
    no.
    Then you might find yourself having a rough time here.
    mmk then
    Nice trolling and attempt to rack up the post count.
    Its not trolling, you keep on talking to me. if u wanna drag it out fine
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    Not sure what VLCDs are.

I don't think this has been answered.

VLCD stands for 'very low calorie diet.'
  • LpsychT
    LpsychT Posts: 1
    Options
    healthyeating555, Congratulations on the 11 lbs, Man!
    I've been juicing on and off for about a year now.
    2 weeks is the longest I have gone juicing.
    I lost 12 lbs after the 2 consecutive weeks and I am still looking for it. =)
    Keep up the juicing!
    (Some days I will eat 1/2 cup of almonds throughout the days to keep me from caving in.)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Im juicing fresh veggies with a juicer If you use V8 you might as well kill yourself before you decide to ingest gasoline

Oh dear...I drink 8oz of V8 every morning to kick start my potassium intake. I think I am safe though...its the low sodium kind.

I don't agree with OP but he may just have a point with respect to the V8. A juicer allows you to make healthy juices without additives and you can vary the blend based on what's in season.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    yeah, ok.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    They did a pressure nanometric measurements in volunteers who agreed to swallow what were essentially small balloons. They found, to their surprise, that the EFFECTIVE volume of the stomach did fall after fasting over a period of time.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/health/22real.html?_r=0
    (snipped)

Steve;
    "EFFECTIVE volume"

I'll grant you the "point" that at least a few "studies" referencing the stomach's ability to "shrink" (or "grow") have been conducted over the years and concede that my use of the word "NO" was incorrect, but.......

That said, the "studies" to which you linked (in the article) consisted of one conducted in 1996 with a total population (test group + control group) of 20. The second, conducted in 2001 consisted of three "test" groups of 10, 11,10 - hardly enough subjects in either "study" to qualify as a "clinical study" (in the generally accepted sense of those words). And, a "number of others", alluded to, by the author as "studies have shown".

It's doubtful that a (or a couple of) "studies" may have shown ("may have", because we're expected to take the author's "word" for it lacking a cite) that certain "groups" have larger stomach capacities than others, will come as any surprise to most. How is that relevant to the discussion, and why was that particular "fact" (assuming it is one), conflated with the "stomach shrinks" thrust of the article?

Mere "publication" in the NYTimes lends little credibility to any particular author's motivations, a "fact" the divine Ms.Judith Miller demonstrated so conclusively and much to the detriment of not only this country but the world.

The second (2001) "study" seems completely out of place in an article attempting to validate the "...Your Stomach Shrinks..." theory put forth by the author of the article since there were no "before and after" comparisons (which would be required to determine any "increase" or "decrease" in stomach size.
    Rather, that study was designed to "compare" the "relative" capacities of three specific groups: normal, bulimic, and obese, NOT changes in stomach capacity. Perhaps "nice to know" info - but totally irrelevant to both the question at hand and as "evidence" to "prove" the author's assertions.

The first study, does provide a "degree" of validation but the study size and the lack of a number of subsequent "confirming" clinical results ("controlled" and of adequate size) in the ensuing 18 years places its results in the "interesting but hardly conclusive" category. A critical component of the Scientific Method is demonstrated "repeat-ability" - until that exists, results reside in the "unproven theory" category.

A quick search of pubmed.gov shows fewer than 100 results for study abstracts relating to the subject including some that date back to the early 1970's.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?linkname=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=8561056

The VAST majority of those shown, relate NOT to "stomach shrinkage" but rather to the BIB procedures (wherein the "balloon" you mentioned is placed in the stomach to "take up room".

You are absolutely correct in pointing out that I should not have used the word "NO", and very well "may" be correct in your assumption that the "....stomach is seeming to become more and more important in the obesity equation." Time will tell.

However, until presented with actual "proof" that the preponderance of the evidence (based on studies and conclusions that have been duplicated) falls on the side of the "myth" that the stomach "shrinks" (in the context we are using here on the Forums) - I'll stand with the consensus of the medical and scientific communities that refute the claim. The one relevant study in the article you referenced provides a starting point, and study size alone doesn't necessarily "invalidate" the conclusions, but neither does it grant "fact" status.

The article to which you referred offers little, if anything, to challenge the consensus, as would be expected when the author is forced to include "examples" he/she hopes desperately that no one will verify.

Had the author of the article stopped after.....
    "But whether dieting actually shrinks your stomach, as many people believe, is not so clear-cut, partly because the stomach’s actual size is difficult to measure with precision before and after a diet."
    ....she/he would have been far better off (if maintaining any sort of journalistic "professionalism" matters to him/her).

In the end, whether the stomach actually does, physically, "shrink" in size or if something (receptor induced satiety signals?) just makes one "think" it does - does it really matter to the typical, "garden variety" dieter?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    ^^^but why would you want your stomach size to shrink or grow big anyway ? If you eat your macros then it doesn't matter the size of your gut.

Juice fasting is stupid for a lot of reasons. The biggest one is that any fast makes you burn muscle. Fasting will most probably cause you to drop weight but after the initial 7 lb of water the rest of it will be divided equally between muscle and fat. People who juice fast are destroying the good bits of their body as well as the bad. Now say I need to drop 50lb of fat, if I stuck out juice fasting and dropped 50lb I would have dropped 7lb of water, 21lb of fat and 22 lb of muscle. This is not what I was trying to do - it hasn't worked. In fact with the reduction in LBM I am now worse off than I was before - I can't burn as many calories so it is harder for me to keep the weight off and I am more likely to injure myself. Now say I do it so I hit my macros - in the same time I would most probably loose 20 lb of fat and a couple of lb of LBM (if I did cardio, ate enough protein and pushed weights).OK the scales will say a different headline figure BUT I have achieved the same loss in fat and instead of damaging my body I will have made it stronger + my immune system, hormone system and brain will be functioning correctly which I don't think will be the case for just drinking juice for months (not the right building blocks going in) I say this because I have been fooled by the quick fix of VLC diets before and they didn't work. They are a scam and the people that dream them up know they don't work and are just stealing peoples money (in my opinion) while damaging them at the same time
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Im juicing fresh veggies with a juicer If you use V8 you might as well kill yourself before you decide to ingest gasoline

Oh dear...I drink 8oz of V8 every morning to kick start my potassium intake. I think I am safe though...its the low sodium kind.

I don't agree with OP but he may just have a point with respect to the V8. A juicer allows you to make healthy juices without additives and you can vary the blend based on what's in season.

I tried making vegetable juice...on my budget...it just isn't affordable.

I doubt if one 8oz glass of V8 a day will have serious adverse affects on my health. However spending that much money on one glass of juice will prevent me from being able to buy as many other fruits and vegetables that I can actually chew.

In a ideal world...I might agree with both you and the OP...I just don't live in that ideal world. Well...except for the part that I will die because I drink V8 juice.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is weight loss whether its water loss or whatnot
    Yes and no. Yes, the scale shows you've lost weight. But no, it's not healthy weight loss and no, it won't be sustainable. If you're trying to make weight for a wrestling match weigh-in, or to fit into your wedding gown next week, it's excusable, and you know the weight will come back when you eat.
    Juice fast all you want but don't try to tell people its "the way to go" when nutrition, physiology, science and plain old common sense disagree with you.
    Amen!
    I realize that as soon as i go back to food weight will come back
    So why turn all those lovely fruit & veggies into juice instead of eating them whole to begin with?
    If any of you are gullible enough to believe that by consuming over 1500 calories per day and in excess of 3000 then you are as dumb as you look I wouldnt be surprised with that amt of calories if you havent gained at least 30 lbs by now
    Actually, I've been eating between 1500-1700 most days and you can see my ticker.
    That's all since January, and I'm rarely hungry because I eat plenty of real whole food.
    cleansing all the bad toxins out of my system
    If you have liver or kidney problems, fasting is probably a bad idea.
    If your doctor thinks it's OK, I suggest getting another doctor before you do irreperable damage to your body.
    If you don't have liver or kidney problems, then they're doing all the detoxing you need.
    what she told me was that unless you stick to a 1500 calorie diet going on the treadmill is a total waste of time the scale will never move
    She's at best ill-informed, which is very sad & dangerous because obviously she's influencing people to do stupid things.
    If you eat fewer calories than your body needs, you will lose weight.
    Controlling what you eat is what makes you lose weight, exercise helps you maintain the weight loss.
    Again, I've been eating about 1700 cal (most days a bit less, some days a few hundred more) and exercising nearly every day, and I'm losing weight while eating real foods.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
    body needs solid food and cereals for generating energy and stamina in body
    The body doesn't care what form of food you take in, whether the carrots are solid or pureed.
    In fact, between the mouth, stomach, and small intestine solid foods become semi-liquid so they can be absorbed.
    But there has to be nutrients there to work with, and most juice doesn't do that.
    Homemade from whole fruits & veggies can, but then why not just eat them?!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast:The Least Important Meal of the Day"
    You keep saying that, but can't post a single study to support it.
    Here are several studies (peer-reviewed, published in respected professional journals) showing that breakfast is important, and eating a large breakfast is associated with greater weight loss.

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Here's a PDF of the whole article.
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Well actually, that isn't even possible. :noway:
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Tell you what dude i will bet the ranch that if i lose 50 lbs in the next 55 days on the juice fast you will tell me its water weight that i lost

Well actually that isn't even possible. :noway:
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've done juice fasts. Loved them and would do them again.
    PLEASE stop giving the rest of us juicers a bad reputation, and please DO SOME RESEARCH on how your body works. So much of what you have said is simply wrong and you are looking like a fool. It's hard to believe you are anything but a troll.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've done juice fasts. Loved them and would do them again.
    PLEASE stop giving the rest of us juicers a bad reputation, and please DO SOME RESEARCH on how your body works. So much of what you have said is simply wrong and you are looking like a fool. It's hard to believe you are anything but a troll.
    Who are you talking to? Specific person or all us "trolls"? :smile:

You could be a troll too.

Since you are convinced that you are so right, and that everyone else who says fasting for weight loss, including a juice fast, is not the best idea, why don't you simply tell us all where we are wrong and provide studies to the same? I mean, since us trolls who are giving juicers a bad reputation don't know what we are talking about. :wink:
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Tell you what dude i will bet the ranch that if i lose 50 lbs in the next 55 days on the juice fast you will tell me its water weight that i lost

Well actually that isn't even possible. :noway:
    Juice fasting for x number of days isn't my cup of tea, but, speaking only to the question of losing 50 lbs in 55 days (using whatever method of choice),
    Could you "actually" explain why "that isn't even possible"?
    (or is it part about it being "...its (sic) water weight that I lost", that to which, you are referring?)
    Inquiring minds want to know.