My 30 day Paleo lifestyle challenge!

Options
123457»

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I don't give a f**k about cross fit or paleo but I would love to do this...

tumblr_mkbvxcWM4O1s82sh6o1_400.gif

Holy shizzzzz. I would too!!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm on an infinity day lifestyle challenge. I eat whatever I want and have lost 63 pounds. I have more energy, sleep better, and am in the best shape of my life.

Cheers to lifestyle changes! :drinker:

39269-Oh-you-gif-7L9P.gif
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm on an infinity day lifestyle challenge. I eat whatever I want and have lost 63 pounds. I have more energy, sleep better, and am in the best shape of my life.

Cheers to lifestyle changes! :drinker:

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter! :drinker:
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    butternut squash wasn't even invented until the 1940s.

WHAT? I've never heard of such a thing. How did it get invented? Did pumpkins mate with some other type of squash? (This is actually a serious question. I'm obsessed with butternut squash - I love it so much. It tastes sweet and savory and meaty all at the same time. It's divine. It disturbs me to imagine it's a genetically mutated variation of some other type 'o thing :ohwell: )

It was created in the 1940s by a hobby farmer in Massachusetts through cross breeding different varieties of squash.
    Lots of plants have been cross bred. It's a practice that's been done for thousands of years. Why does this disturb you?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Actually, as it has been stated many times in this thread, OP, you're not eating Paleo if you are having "cheat days".

I am supportive in the fact that you are finding a diet/food plan that works for you and I genuinely wish you luck.

However.

Just please...for the love of 6 pound, 8 ounce baby Jesus... don't call your diet Paleo if you're not eating Paleo. Perhaps you are eating modified-Paleo, but if you're not following the foods and methods/amounts of the foods for the diet, then you should change your terminology.

If you want to eat "Paleo" so you can sound really cool to your friends and be up on the latest food-trend, go for it. Enjoy yourself and good luck answering any questions explaining the science behind the food you are now choosing to eat.

Also, I sincerely hope that if you're eating "Paleo" as you call it, you're also working out. Many foods that are a part of the Paleo lifestyle are incredibly high in calories and fat. And at the end of the day, if your goal is to lose weight, no matter what diet you choose to follow, weight loss is a matter of calories in and calories out.

Also...
    Because it's a lifestyle change for 30 days.....a trial....like I said before

Sushine..THAT is not a lifestyle change. THAT is a diet.

And finally

[quote} Ok so it has been a week since I started my new challenge and I must say I feel great! I thought it would be hard but I actually have been doing really well. I have followed it 100% to a T and I really feel like I have more energy, which is what I had hoped! Lets see how I get on for he rest of the challenge! :) [/quote]

Congrats! Personally, I'm thrilled you're having success. HOWEVER... Didn't you say in the first post how you still have "cheat days"? You're not following your diet 100% as you said..

TL:DR - If you're modifying what you eat to suit yourself, that's fantastic. Everyone's body is different and we're all special little snowflakes and all that ****. OP, I hope you find success with whatever method you choose to eat.

But at the end of the day, don't bring a charged-topic like Paleo to a general message board and NOT expect to get some **** for it. There are primal/paleo support groups who would be supportive of your efforts and also probably give you guidance on your new journey.
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Above poster congrats on going through my post to pick faults and correct everything, really well done! :laugh:

I have not had a cheat day, so yes I have followed it 100%. Also like mentioned I am not doing this to loose weight, maybe to lean down slightly but nothing drastic. I know it's calories in and calories out, I'm very much aware of that but like I said it's not really weight loss! Yes I do work out very regular but I'm doing this for the health benefits for personal reasons!

I am not eating Paleo to sound really cool to my friends, I am 27 years old....this is not play school! I'm very capable of understanding the reasons why I am eating Paleo !

Oh and yes it's a lifestyle change but yes I agree, we are all on a diet! Please check the definition but the last time I checked I believe it meant "food and drink that is regularly provided and consumed"

Thanks for pointing everything out though!
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @SarcasiticLies: Congratulations on being promoted to Paleo Police!

Many Paleo "experts" (the ones writing and publishing books on this subject) agree that Paleo takes on different meanings, although the general principles are usually the same. Some of them (ready for this?!) even enjoy a little cream and sugar in their morning cup of joe! (Reference: Mark's Daily Apple - amazing blogger and author). Some people follow it a strict 100%, while others do in fact enjoy a cheat day... or they allow themselves more flexibility while dining out or at social celebrations. Does that disqualify them from being a Paleo follower? Not if you consult the wonderful Paleo author of Well Fed, Melissa Joulwan, among others.

Perhaps you're getting confused with the Whole30 plan?

Anyways, congrats again! And for those of you looking for some real encouragement and support... check out the FB group called "30 Days in the Cave" - you will LOVE it ! These guys are amazing! They have cultivated a wonderful, welcoming environment - for Paleo people of ALL types!!!

xxx,
    Emily
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    just start saying you eat Paleo-ish. LOL so you won't get so much scrutiny
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am very happy so far with my change and you can continue to argue it's paleo or if it's not but from the resources I have researched and the people I have spoken with, ITS PALEO!!
    Right on, OP, don't get intimidated by the paleo police! Myself, I still eat dairy and legumes and bread, but I have completely eliminated chocolate ice cream from my diet and now I eat strawberry ice cream. I don't give a hoot if they had ice cream back then - I call it paleo so IT'S PALEO!
  • Ehecatl915
    Ehecatl915 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi! I have been following kind of the Paleo and GAPS diet, I mix it up and call it the Earth Mother diet, cause I will only eat non GMO and organic and has to be from the Earth, no processed foods and refined sugar. I am also taking caprylic acid to help clean out the yeast build up. I also have fibromyalgia and spinal problems, and I really feel better since cutting out the rice and potatoes and the sugar. I think you have to do what is realistic for you, not all plans are going to work for each person. So I take some of the advice and mix it up with what works for me and drink a lot of water. Good luck.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just start saying you eat Paleo-ish. LOL so you won't get so much scrutiny

that's really the best way to do it.

Or just dont' make big sweeping announcements about HOW you eat.

I spent about a year- eating paleo-ish- and to some extent I still do.

I eat a boat load of pop corn/oreos and ice cream- but I rarely eat rice- or pasta- or bread. (maybe once a month? sushi- and the odd sammich I grab).... and too much work to say "paleo- ish" for so many reasons.

Now mostly I tell people I just tell people I prefer a low/moderate carb diet- and I don't have to explain my lack of bread.

It's just to much work- and it opens the door for useless debates.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I just say "I eat food that I like." Anybody questions it, I point to them toward my ticker.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I just say "I eat food that I like." Anybody questions it, I point to them toward my ticker.

this concept seems to becoming increasingly more difficult to understand.
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for your comments but please don't post if this is just a dig at paleo. The reason I have chosen this style of eating is because it allows you to eat good healthy whole foods. Like I said still have treat days but everything in moderation. Obviously not everyone agrees to this style of eating but for me personally it just makes sense and this is why I am giving it a trial.

Here is the list of vegetables that are good for Paleo eaters and also a list of nuts. This is off the Ultimate Paleo guide. So to the above poster I am not sure where you found for info but I have searched severe sites which all allow sweet potatoes and almonds. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Asparagus
    Avocado
    Artichoke hearts
    Brussels sprouts
    Carrots
    Spinach
    Celery
    Broccoli
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    Peppers (All Kinds)
    Cauliflower
    Parsley
    Eggplant
    Green Onions
    Butternut Squash
    Acorn Squash
    Yam
    Sweet Potato
    Beets

Almonds
    Cashews
    Hazelnuts
    Pecans
    Pine Nuts
    Pumpkin Seeds
    Sunflower Seeds
    Macadamia Nut
    Walnuts
    I did Paleo for a while and lost 14lbs..then came the holidays. The only thing I hated was no pasta. My husband is Italian and him and my daughter live on it and bread! LOL But there are some awesome recipes out there! Good luck. I'm thinking of going back myself.
  • PaulEire
    PaulEire Posts: 4 Member
    Options

PS I see the list above - nice - butternut squash wasn't even invented until the 1940s.

really? How was it invented?