What do you usually eat for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• gregs_gal
    gregs_gal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Typically during the week I have coffee with either:
    1. a toasted English muffin with some peanut/cashew/almond butter and bluberries on top
    2. I make a pot of steel cut oatmeal and quinoa (makes 4 generous servings) that I sweeten with a little honey and mix in blueberries or some other fruit (peaches with a bit of cinnamon tastes like peach cobbler!).

On the weekend when I'm home and have more time I usually have coffee, 2 poached eggs with cholula, a toasted English muffin with butter, and sometimes bacon.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same things for breakfast, when I eat it. I make steel-cut oats and keep them in the fridge to re-heat in the microwave. I'll have them with a tsp. of butter, and coconut palm sugar and cinnamon, along with 1 or 2 hard-boiled eggs. Or - 80 calorie vanilla Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries & bananas in it and a hard-boiled egg. Or 2 eggs over easy on top of English muffin halves that I butter lightly and broil.

Sometimes I skip breakfast and have a bigger breakfast for lunch. That would be an Eggel Bagel sandwich - 1 large scrambled egg on a buttered, broiled bagel with 2 slices of Canadian bacon and 2 slices of ultra-thin sliced swiss cheese. Or - I make white gravy and make my Eggs & English muffins with a slice of Canadian bacon on each with white gravy poured over the top (kind of like Eggs Benedict).

As far as bagels go - yes they have a lot of calories, but they also have a lot of iron (which I tend to lack) and my Eggel Bagel sandwich keeps me full for at least 4-5 hours. Fits in my calorie goal for the day, so no problem for me.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same things for breakfast, when I eat it. I make steel-cut oats and keep them in the fridge to re-heat in the microwave. I'll have them with a tsp. of butter, and coconut palm sugar and cinnamon, along with 1 or 2 hard-boiled eggs. Or - 80 calorie vanilla Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries & bananas in it and a hard-boiled egg. Or 2 eggs over easy on top of English muffin halves that I butter lightly and broil.

Sometimes I skip breakfast and have a bigger breakfast for lunch. That would be an Eggel Bagel sandwich - 1 large scrambled egg on a buttered, broiled bagel with 2 slices of Canadian bacon and 2 slices of ultra-thin sliced swiss cheese. Or - I make white gravy and make my Eggs & English muffins with a slice of Canadian bacon on each with white gravy poured over the top (kind of like Eggs Benedict).

As far as bagels go - yes they have a lot of calories, but they also have a lot of iron (which I tend to lack) and my Eggel Bagel sandwich keeps me full for at least 4-5 hours. Fits in my calorie goal for the day, so no problem for me.

Oh - and turkey bacon! I cook it under the broiler and it tastes great. More calories than Canadian Bacon, but sometimes it's worth it. =)
  • sims2013
    sims2013 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i have a handfull of blueberries, 4 eggwhites, and either oatmeal or cream of wheat!
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This morning I had my "Tofu Breakfast scramble" because I didn't want to eat eggs again today.

Put 2 tsp olive oil in frying pan and a 1/4 tsp of turmeric, enough to turn the oil yellow.

Then fry 4 0z. of firm tofu crumbled in chunks like scrambled eggs,

add peppers and onions salt, pepper, oregano and let the tofu brown up a bit.

Add 1/2 tomato diced and fresh herbs like basil if you have any and let cook a minute or so

Then sprinkle 1/2 oz. of shredded cheese (your fav) on top

If anyone tries this make sure you season it well, it's really delicious. So many people say "I don't like tofu" but they've probably never had it cooked very well.
    I serve this with one slice of premium whole wheat or multi grain bread with 1 heaping tsp of Polaner's all fruit spread. Total calories are 345.

I have pics of this on my blog, but I'm not allowed to tell you the url, per section 14a of the room mate agreement, psulemon the moderator informed me of this when he deleted most of my posts.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that reminds me. I used to have a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, back when I worked at my last dev studio. I thought it was a "healthy" choice and supported my goal to lose weight.

Then I found out the bagels we were getting, plus cream cheese were in the 600 calorie range... it was maddening, particularly since bagels aren't very filling to me. I could easily eat 2 or 3 if I was hungry. That was essentially my full day of calories, with just enough satiation factor to get me to lunch.

It was truly a bummer to find that out.
  • IlithyaUK
    IlithyaUK Posts: 12
    Options
    Fruit with zero fat yogurt, plain fruit or porridge and fruit for me (always strawberries, blueberries kiwi or apple), i am really not a breakfast person so these are about the only things I can force down before work. At the weekend I do love soft boiled egg and toast :)
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Today I had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a dash of black pepper and 6 oz of melon
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Weekdays: oatmeal, hot cocoa. That's it.
    Weekends: eggs, yogurt slice of toast.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that reminds me. I used to have a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, back when I worked at my last dev studio. I thought it was a "healthy" choice and supported my goal to lose weight.

Then I found out the bagels we were getting, plus cream cheese were in the 600 calorie range... it was maddening, particularly since bagels aren't very filling to me. I could easily eat 2 or 3 if I was hungry. That was essentially my full day of calories, with just enough satiation factor to get me to lunch.

It was truly a bummer to find that out.
    that's why I don't do a whole bagel. I'll do half, and sparing with cream cheese (if any). Mini bagels are a good compromise
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A Promax shake if I've worked out that morning with either regular or almond milk depending what there is in the house.

And food-wise, whatever I fancy that morning. Usually an egg, sometimes with veggies in a mini-omelette. Sometimes just egg on toast. Or just toast with jam and butter.

Or whatever leftovers are in the fridge from the night before! The other day I had lasagne for breakfast, mmmmmmm
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    A serving of tofu, a mushroom, handful of spinach, one kale leaf, scrambled with 9 tablespoons of egg beaters and 6 tablespoons of egg whites with 3/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal with whey protein isolate and PB2 in it on the side.
  • Trizi
    Trizi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OMG thanks for this idea! Immediate portion control and very little clean up! :)
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Usually have egg whites with jalapeno and onions & greek yogurt.

Not a big breakfast fan.

Today I had turkey meat and greek yogurt, coffee with almond milk and a splash of sugar-free fat free creamer (all chemicals, I know but I need something in the coffee :) )

Difficult to do much right now cuz I dont have a stove.

I love left over roasted veggies for breakfast..
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Today I had a slice of sprouted grain lentil bread (not because I'm gluten free but because I wanted a hearty bread that is a good source of protein, free of high fructose corn syrup and cellulose fiber aka sawdust)

I put peanut butter and honey on it. Then I had two jumbo eggs (from now on I'll probably stick to large or medium rather than jumbo) cooked in olive oil, with ground flax seed and a slice of swiss cheese.

High calorie, yes. Dense, yes.....but it helps keep my food cravings down, and puts me well on the way to good protein intake for the day.
  • hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Originally being at 1200 per day (terrible I know) I would eat 1 cup of Cheerios with 1/2 sliced banana and fat-free milk as well as my customary cup o' joe with fat-free milk and 4 (gasp!) sugars. Now I still have my coffee but have an omelet made from egg beaters smart cups (60 calories, 12g of protein) with spinach (frozen or fresh) and a light swiss cheese slice. When I'm feeling especially hungry for protein I add 3 links of turkey sausage for 100 calories. Even with the sausage I'm under 400 cals. I HAVE to eat in the AM or I'm alseep during my commute!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    stay away from bagels, it's not a good morning choice because the carbs will quikcly burn off leaving you with low energy and hungry again (fyi a bagel is the equivalent of 5 pieces of bread). at breakfast it is really important to make sure you eat protein to get you moving and keep you full until lunch. instead try...

smoothie : 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup other fruit of your choice (blueberries, mango, pineapple, banana), 1 cup of greek yogurt, 1/4-1/2 cup of milk or almond/coconut/flaxseed milk. blend and enjoy

yogurt parfait: one cup greek yogurt (make sure you get no sugar added), fresh chopped fruit, sliced almonds, and a dash of honey

eggs and toast: 2 fried of scrambled eggs and a piece of whole wheat, whole grain toast. look for a bread with low sugar content, a decent amount of fiber and ingredients you can pronounce

peanut butter and toast: two pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter. when you buy peanut butter again make sure you get sugar free and there are no other added ingredients. all peanut butter should be is peanuts. if there are other ingredients, it's probably not a great brand. you can top the pb with banana slices to make it more exciting.

omelette: lightly saute some veggies in olive or coconut oil - i like kale, red peppers, and tomatoes. pour two eggs over and cook through.

two hard boiled eggs and a string cheese is great for busy mornings, just grab at go. oatmeal packets are another easy solution if you have to eat at work or don't have much time. i like to add some blueberries and almonds to my oatmeal to keep me fuller for longer.

remember - PROTEIN!! Aim for at least 15 grams of protein at breakfast, if not more.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Wal Mart has great value turkey sausage I think it is 80 calories and quite large...you get a whole bag for 5 dollars
    Trying to cut back on carbs. Typically two eggs fried in a little olive oil and a microwave turkey sausage patty. Quick and easy and keeps me satisfied until lunch.

what brand of turkey sausage patty do you use? been on the lookout for one that is lower in cals...
  • alex_thomas8
    Options
    Usually muscle milk, eggs, greek yogurt, turkey sausage, fruit, any combination of those. I usually work out early (5:30-6 AM) so I'm pretty hungry before work. I aim for </=500 calories and at least 30 g protein.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt....cottage cheese with fruit ....cut up fruit